• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First videos of Netflix's The Witcher released

KRAai

omg lol BANGS BANGS caring about topic being ruined
this thread shifted long time ago into discussion about netflix being shit as a whole
and ignorant snoby driveby shit posts
now you just try to wriggle out of your own shit

Wag

What's wrong with Netflix? I just watched Castlevania S2 and it was great (and I don't even play the game).

Looking forward to this series.

BANGS

Banned
I am merely pointing out that your critique didn't really offer much in the value of debate.
It wasn't a debate, it was a simple opinion that you disagree with, I'm not here to debate the quality of netflix movies and shows...

omg lol BANGS BANGS caring about topic being ruined
this thread shifted long time ago into discussion about netflix being shit as a whole
and ignorant snoby driveby shit posts
now you just try to wriggle out of your own shit
I think you're looking into things a little too hard while biting off stuff other people have already said without even understanding it... I don't like netflix shows and movies as their quality is generally shit, that simple. It's not a controversial opinion worthy of all this attention... nor is it something i'm ashamed of and have to "wriggle out of"...

Last edited:

Geki-D

Banned
It is Netflix. It is going to be shit.
People are going to think it's shit and blame Netflix when really 75% of the reason will be because it's based on the books and not the games. People Already think Geralt looks wrong because he doesn't look like he does in the games but is actually pretty spot on for the books.

Last edited:
It wasn't a debate, it was a simple opinion that you disagree with, I'm not here to debate the quality of netflix movies and shows...

Backpedalling with your hyperbole sure made it sound like that. There was nothing of value in doing a drive-by post. Like that has any value at all. If you don't want to debate the perceived quality of netflix shows, why low effort posts in the first place, where you are quoting people without adding anything to them? And on a discussion forum no less.

BANGS

Banned
Backpedalling with your hyperbole sure made it sound like that. There was nothing of value in doing a drive-by post. Like that has any value at all. If you don't want to debate the perceived quality of netflix shows, why low effort posts in the first place, where you are quoting people without adding anything to them? And on a discussion forum no less.
Again, just throwing in my two cents. Pretty common on a discussion forum actually, not sure why you think it's so strange. Usually it doesn't blow up like this unless you hit a nerve or something...

KRAai

I think you're looking into things a little too hard while biting off stuff other people have already said without even understanding it... I don't like netflix shows and movies as their quality is generally shit, that simple. It's not a controversial opinion worthy of all this attention... nor is it something i'm ashamed of and have to "wriggle out of"...

sure i don't understand things
for example why do u even click a thread about netflix show if all you have is opinion
that all their movies and shows are shit
like if i see a shit i don't step into it... simple

oh and before you write that you wanted share your opinion as this is discussion forum
L Luffytubby already proved that all you have is Netflix=shit which is nothing worth sharing

Zangiefy360

Banned
sure i don't understand things
for example why do u even click a thread about netflix show if all you have is opinion
that all their movies and shows are shit
like if i see a shit i don't step into it... simple

Friends don't let friends watch subpar TV :messenger_sunglasses:

BANGS

Banned
all you have is Netflix=shit which is nothing worth sharing
As far as I can tell there is no rule against posting your opinion even if self proclaimed arbiters of the thread such as yourself find it worthless. I'm sure a mod/admin can educate me on that if I'm wrong. But if you're really so hung up about useless posts in a topic, why are you still posting about my supposedly worthless opinion? I've been practically begging you guys to move on for quite some time now. You can't sit there and cry to me that I shouldn't even have clicked the topic and then reply to me over and over again...

Good point...

Again, just throwing in my two cents. Pretty common on a discussion forum actually, not sure why you think it's so strange. Usually it doesn't blow up like this unless you hit a nerve or something...

Fortunately, most posters do put more value into their posts than you tend to do (based on your post history). It's not really unreasonable to ask posters to justify their posts with an argument if they are going to contribute. Why even post then? Saying you are just giving your "two cents" sounds like a copout.

As far as I can tell there is no rule against posting your opinion even if self proclaimed arbiters of the thread such as yourself find it worthless. I'm sure a mod/admin can educate me on that if I'm wrong. But if you're really so hung up about useless posts in a topic, why are you still posting about my supposedly worthless opinion? I've been practically begging you guys to move on for quite some time now. You can't sit there and cry to me that I shouldn't even have clicked the topic and then reply to me over and over again...

There are many things that there are not rules against, that are still annoying to others. Don't think a mod or admin have to tell you (or any of us) that we can always refrain from posting if we are just dogpiling posts. Nothing wrong with making single paragraph posts, but if you are making a post saying something inflammatory its a generally well understood rule of thumb to explain why. That's all. You don't have to. As several of us have said, nobody has a problem with you not liking Netflix- It was just your hyperbole, dogpile and drive-by manner of posting that irked people.

BANGS

Banned
Fortunately, most posters do put more value into their posts than you tend to do (based on your post history). It's not really unreasonable to ask posters to justify their posts with an argument if they are going to contribute. Why even post then? Saying you are just giving your "two cents" sounds like a copout.

There are many things that there are not rules against, that are still annoying to others. Don't think a mod or admin have to tell you (or any of us) that we can always refrain from posting if we are just dogpiling posts. Nothing wrong with making single paragraph posts, but if you are making a post saying something inflammatory its a generally well understood rule of thumb to explain why. That's all. You don't have to. As several of us have said, nobody has a problem with you not liking Netflix- It was just your hyperbole, dogpile and drive-by manner of posting that irked people.
Well I'm sorry I hurt your feelings by dissing something you like so much that you had to go on a two page rant about it... I'll be sure to continue not giving a shit...

KRAai

well i am still posting about your whortless opinion so maybe you will think twice before doing it next time ?
also it was a question as i am really curious and just don't understand it
not a cry for not clicking shit

KRAai

are you like a hbo fanboy?
i mean it's a first for me to meet one so i am confused
but it surely looks like that

it's kind of like listening to music exclusively from one label
just because they have more constant high quality releases than other label (your argument)
which i also don't uderstand
as most shows/movies from netflix are work of different people
so the idea of "netflix show" is kind of weird to me

KRAai

Well I'm sorry I hurt your feelings by dissing something you like so much that you had to go on a two page rant about it... I'll be sure to continue not giving a shit...

omg guy owned you in discussion and all you have to say is some copy/paste bs "sorry i hurt your feelings..."
0/10

Zangiefy360

Banned
are you like a hbo fanboy?
i mean it's a first for me to meet one so i am confused
but it surely looks like that

it's kind of like listening to music exclusively from one label
just because they have more constant high quality releases than other label (your argument)
which i also don't uderstand
as most shows/movies from netflix are work of different people
so the idea of "netflix show" is kind of weird to me

It was a tongue in cheek comment.

I guess I am an HBO fanboy. Remember how TV was the leftover parts from movies? Well HBO changed TV's perception and proved that shows can be just as good as movies, if not better.

Having loyalty when appropriate can save you a lot of time. If I know every game from EA isn't my cup of tea, why would I continue to try their games?

Yeah, they are works by different people, but the standards of quality come from Nextflix. Look at Marvel movies. Different people make them, but they all feel the same. They have a standard and it works for them. Nextflix's standard works for them, but as a viewer I want something more.

dispensergoinup

Gold Member
Well this turned into a shit show real fast. So thanks, ya negative nancies with your drive-bys.

OT: Looking forward to this and see what they do, at least the SFX looks good so far. Those fire effects look pretty nice and I had no idea how much they added to scenes like that.

KRAai

It was a tongue in cheek comment.

I guess I am an HBO fanboy. Remember how TV was the leftover parts from movies? Well HBO changed TV's perception and proved that shows can be just as good as movies, if not better.

Having loyalty when appropriate can save you a lot of time. If I know every game from EA isn't my cup of tea, why would I continue to try their games?

Yeah, they are works by different people, but the standards of quality come from Nextflix. Look at Marvel movies. Different people make them, but they all feel the same. They have a standard and it works for them. Nextflix's standard works for them, but as a viewer I want something more.

well marvel movies are made by different people but all of them are oversight by kevin feige
so it is kind of different
you said yourself that some of the best netflix shows would be average things if it was relased on hbo
but i fail to see how it is a reason to not watch them
i mean you do you
but i for sure won't decide what is whort watching just based on the platform it is avabile on
becasue it just seems stupid.

Zangiefy360

Banned
well marvel movies are made by different people but all of them are oversight by kevin feige
so it is kind of different
you said yourself that some of the best netflix shows would be average things if it was relased on hbo
but i fail to see how it is a reason to not watch them
i mean you do you
but i for sure won't decide what is whort watching just based on the platform it is avabile on
becasue it just seems stupid.

Don't get me wrong. I still watch Netflix shows. But I oftentimes give them up after a few episodes when the quality isn't there. I hope The Witcher is good! I just have less faith that it will be when it comes from Netflix.

KRAai

Well this turned into a shit show real fast. So thanks, ya negative nancies with your drive-bys.

OT: Looking forward to this and see what they do, at least the SFX looks good so far. Those fire effects look pretty nice and I had no idea how much they added to scenes like that.

sorry about derailing thread but there is not really much to write about as they are just tests
they do look nice i guess but what i am really waiting for is some teaser/treailer
and i have high hopes but i am also kind of concerned at the same time
as i really like books and w3 and also i am polish so i feel like i should give extra damn :messenger_dizzy:

dispensergoinup

Gold Member
Hey now my drive by would have been quick and easy if these people untwisted their panties... blame those guys not me...

Fair enough, I see you tho. :messenger_smiling_horns:

But we should all bring it down a notch and agree to disagree, and anyway with regards to Netflix they've had some fat flops but also some good shit like Black Mirror so I'm willing to give this one a chance at least.

dispensergoinup

Gold Member
sorry about derailing thread but there is not really much to write about as they are just tests
they do look nice i guess but what i am really waiting for is some teaser/treailer
and i have high hopes but i am also kind of concerned at the same time
as i really like books and w3 and also i am polish so i feel like i should give extra damn :messenger_dizzy:

Yeah I'm with you there, they're just tests but so far they look good and even though I didn't really read any books or finish W3 (close though), I hope they stay pretty faithful to the aesthetics.

Zangiefy360

Banned
Fair enough, I see you tho. :messenger_smiling_horns:

But we should all bring it down a notch and agree to disagree, and anyway with regards to Netflix they've had some fat flops but also some good shit like Black Mirror so I'm willing to give this one a chance at least.

Kudos to Netflix for keeping Black Mirror alive, but all the credit for the concept goes to Channel 4.

Last edited:

KRAai

Yeah I'm with you there, they're just tests but so far they look good and even though I didn't really read any books or finish W3 (close though), I hope they stay pretty faithful to the aesthetics.

also i really expect effects to look pretty great and i guess even though the budget isn't probably the highest
the reason is becasue tomasz bagiński is co-directing the series
he made cinematics for witcher games
also he earned a lot of awards for animation and special effects

for example
Between 1999 and 2002 he was working on his short film debut,The Cathedral, which in 2002 won the first prize at SIGGRAPH, the biggest festival of animation and special effects, and a year later was nominated for the Academy Award for Best Animated Short Film.

the studio that is responsible for vfx in witcher series - platige image which baginski is associated with
is responsible for vfx in movies like melancholy and antichrist by lars von trier
and wonder woman
but i guess what i mean is this studio will give all they have to make it look the best it can
because it is the witcher and i feel like they put an extra effort in that

Last edited:

Fuz

Banned
People are going to think it's shit and blame Netflix when really 75% of the reason will be because it's based on the books and not the games. People Already think Geralt looks wrong because he doesn't look like he does in the games but is actually pretty spot on for the books.
I'm convinced it will be terrible because politically correct casting = bad writing.

(also, you just DO NOT change estabilished characters just to push your political agenda)

Last edited:

Papa

Banned

Have you read the books?

Zangiefy360

Banned
HBO has a fantastic back catalog but if we were to compare it against content each service made in the past 12 months then Netflix wins hands down.

Which shows in the last 12 months on Netflix do you recommend? I really liked Maniac but that was about it.

KRAai

Which shows in the last 12 months on Netflix do you recommend? I really liked Maniac but that was about it.
i listed some in reply to your post earlier how many of them did you try ?

also i need to watch maniac...

Last edited:

bitbydeath

Ozark (It’s a bit like Breaking Bad)
Stranger Things (everyone knows about this one)
Safe (decent one season show about a missing girl)
The Good Place (funny sitcom)
13 Reasons Why (Second season was like a british drama which I enjoy. Like Skins)
Santa Clarita Diet (Dark humour, absolutely love it).
Black Mirror (Dark show)

I’d also recommend-
Dark (one of my favs on Netflix as it’s a thinker) Think it was 2017 though.

Zangiefy360

Banned
Ozark (It’s a bit like Breaking Bad)
Stranger Things (everyone knows about this one)
Safe (decent one season show about a missing girl)
The Good Place (funny sitcom)
13 Reasons Why (Second season was like a british drama which I enjoy. Like Skins)
Santa Clarita Diet (Dark humour, absolutely love it).
Black Mirror (Dark show)

I’d also recommend-
Dark (one of my favs on Netflix as it’s a thinker) Think it was 2017 though.

I watched season 1 of Ozark. Pretty decent fun, but overall felt too similar to Breaking Bad so I didn't feel the need to watch season 2.

Stranger Things season 2 felt like a big step back from season 1. It felt too polished and like they were trying too hard to please the viewer instead of making a kickass show that the viewer falls in love with (like season 1).

Black Mirror is top tier, I'll give you that. I think it's taken a step back from the Channel 4 days, but San Junipero, Hang the DJ, and Shut Up and Dance were among the best episodes of the show ever made.

So uhh, did anyone else read the sites front page of that site? Apparently this isn't for The Witcher from Netflix at all?

Over the last 24 to 36 hours, fans across the world have been trying to figure out if the special effect demos that we exclusively shared were indeed a part of the Netflix's show. The quality looks top notch, and the fight scene in the village is clearly a live action one- not a fully digital environment. All that considered, TheWitcher.tv can now exclusively claim that these videos, while extremely well done, are NOT a part of the Netflix show. We've reached out to Netflix, who was able to provide this information for us. The last mystery to be solved rests with Topedo Pictures. Why did they make these and what are they for? Demo reel to land a contract, perhaps? For now, we simply know this is not for Netflix's "The Witcher."

Share your thoughts as to what Torpedo Studios is up to in the comments below and in the forum!

JimiNutz

Banned
I've never played the games but doesn't The Witcher series about slaying monsters? I imagine Netflix are going to need to dedicate a huge budget to doing the series justice. Do we have any idea how much they are willing to spend on this?

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I dunno guys, I kinda agree with BANGS BANGS . I’m yet to see a Netflix original worth a damn. Will still watch the Witcher because I love the games and especially the books but I’m not holding my breath.

Well luckily for many of us we have. You and BANGS BANGS snobbery don't change that. This SFX video shows that things are coming along well.

BANGS

Banned
Validation for what exactly? In my belief that Netflix has good quality TV shows?
You're drinking Blue Moon while the rest of us are sippin' on New Belgium shit. Calling us snobs just because we've moved on from Blue Moon only makes you look desperate. You're allowed to like Blue Moon, but if I correctly say it's generic mass produced trash watered down for the masses, you don't pretend that's not what it is. Just admit you like shit...

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
You're drinking Blue Moon while the rest of us are sippin' on New Belgium shit. Calling us snobs just because we've moved on from Blue Moon only makes you look desperate. You're allowed to like Blue Moon, but if I correctly say it's generic mass produced trash watered down for the masses, you don't pretend that's not what it is. Just admit you like shit...

You're problem is that there aren't levels to how you access the quality of TV shows. You either think something is "The Wire" or "Breaking Bad" or it's horrible trash. There's no middle ground with you. There's no definition of just a "good" enjoyable/quality show. It's ridiculous to say shows like the below are horribly watered down quality shows.

- The First season of Ozark.
- Stranger Things Season One
- DareDevil Season One
- Narcos Season One
- Orange is the New Black Season One

thief183

You're problem is that there aren't levels to how you access the quality of TV shows. You either think something is "The Wire" or "Breaking Bad" or it's horrible trash. There's no middle ground with you. There's no definition of just a "good" enjoyable/quality show. It's ridiculous to say shows like the below are horribly watered down quality shows.

- The First season of Ozark.
- Stranger Things Season One
- DareDevil Season One
- Narcos Season One
- Orange is the New Black Season One

Well you actually listed all the good shows on netflix.....

brian0057

Banned
For every Daredevil and Mindhunter, there's dozens of 13 Reasons Why, Dear White People, and second seasons of Stranger Things.
Consider me cautiously optimistic.

Top Bottom