• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Visual Novels are coming to Nintendo Switch

GSR

That Rei-Jin-G-Lu-P game looks interesting, reminds me of Danganronpa for some reason?

..and it probably won't ever get localized amirite

Intrigued by Rei-Jin-G-Lu-P, would buy on the concept

Searched GAF for Rei-Jin-G-Lu-P and these were the only references to it I could find, lol. If I have time I might make a whole thread about it/the Switch as a VN machine...

Anyway, I played Rei-Jin-G-Lu-P over the past few weeks and just finished it tonight. In a lot of ways it feels like Danganronpa mixed with Virtue's Last Reward in a rural/mythology-focused setting rather than a Battle Royale/Sci-Fi one. Gameplay-wise it's pretty much a straight visual novel, but like VLR it quickly integrates the idea that the main character is capable of remembering branches he's been through before, and that in turn unlocks new choices and endings.

Meanwhile the Danganronpa-isms come in from the core plot of the game, which is the "Underworld Feast". There are two-three werewolves in the group, and each night they kill one person. Then during the day the group debates and executes one person they think is a werewolf. The thing is that as you unlock new branches in the story, the identities of the werewolves shift around in the group depending on the choices you make early in the game, which brings on a bit of that DR-style feeling of anyone potentially being a killer or victim.

I probably should pause here and not oversell it - really, the game is pretty linear. If in VLR you could get endings A, B, and C from the get-go in any order, then D, E, and F, here it's more that you go all the way through route A, then use the knowledge from that to unlock route B, and so on. It's not until really late in the game that you start doing the VLR/ZTD-esque "jump around and unlock a bunch of things all over the flowchart".

Still, it's got a strong story, and the characters definitely grew on me. But the game starts very slow and the ending feels a little loose, for lack of a better term (in that some stuff kind of gets handwaved away.) But there's plenty of foreshadowing if you pay attention, so nothing really feels like you're getting the rug pulled out from under you. The game's focus on religion/mythology - with a strong basis in actual Japanese history - is also really cool and deeply tied with the themes of the game.

Yeah, I might expand this post and make a thread about it. It's a cool game! That said I'd be surprised if it got localized - it's really long (it took me around 40 hours I think?) and even by VN standards seems pretty niche. Also no way would it get dubbed - every line of dialogue in the game has voice-over (i.e. everything except narration.) Even the bonus post-game stuff has full voice.

GSR

So basically, Rei-Jin-G-Lu-P is based on this card game.

Yup. If VLR was Prisoner's Dilemma, Rei-Jin-G-Lu-P is Mafia/Werewolf/whatever you want to call it. I glossed over the details above but there are also the usual "special" roles you see in those games - e.g. the snake can learn one person's identity at night, the spider can protect one person from the wolves at night, etc.

So whereas in VLR you might have a branch based on "ally/betray", here it might branch on "vote for person X or person Y to be executed" or "choose whether to reveal your skill to the group".

Yup. If VLR was Prisoner's Dilemma, Rei-Jin-G-Lu-P is Mafia/Werewolf/whatever you want to call it. I glossed over the details above but there are also the usual "special" roles you see in those games - e.g. the snake can learn one person's identity at night, the spider can protect one person from the wolves at night, etc.

So whereas in VLR you might have a branch based on "ally/betray", here it might branch on "vote for person X or person Y to be executed" or "choose whether to reveal your skill to the group".
How difficult is the language? Might grab this.

GSR

How difficult is the language? Might grab this.

Pretty difficult. I had very little trouble with Dai Gyakuten Saiban 2 a couple months back but I definitely had some struggles with this one at times. There's a lot of specialized language about religion/historical topics here, as well as the usual flowery narration you get with a VN. Not a ton of imagery/CGs to give context clues either. If you're rusty on your vocab (like me) you're gonna want to have a dictionary handy.

Fluloco

What are the odds of Steins;Gate Elite getting localized?
I'm not an expert, but I would say that it could be pretty high. Steins Gate (the original) has been localized for a number of platforms worldwide, and 0 also was released relatively fast (1 year, but it's not on PC yet). I'm guessing that that would be the one with more chances of coming out here of the Science Adventure saga

I'm not an expert, but I would say that it could be pretty high. Steins Gate (the original) has been localized for a number of platforms worldwide, and 0 also was released relatively fast (1 year, but it's not on PC yet). I'm guessing that that would be the one with more chances of coming out here of the Science Adventure saga

And what about Anonymous Code? Which looks far better visually.

tolkir

Searched GAF for Rei-Jin-G-Lu-P and these were the only references to it I could find, lol. If I have time I might make a whole thread about it/the Switch as a VN machine...

Anyway, I played Rei-Jin-G-Lu-P over the past few weeks and just finished it tonight. In a lot of ways it feels like Danganronpa mixed with Virtue's Last Reward in a rural/mythology-focused setting rather than a Battle Royale/Sci-Fi one. Gameplay-wise it's pretty much a straight visual novel, but like VLR it quickly integrates the idea that the main character is capable of remembering branches he's been through before, and that in turn unlocks new choices and endings.

Meanwhile the Danganronpa-isms come in from the core plot of the game, which is the "Underworld Feast". There are two-three werewolves in the group, and each night they kill one person. Then during the day the group debates and executes one person they think is a werewolf. The thing is that as you unlock new branches in the story, the identities of the werewolves shift around in the group depending on the choices you make early in the game, which brings on a bit of that DR-style feeling of anyone potentially being a killer or victim.

I probably should pause here and not oversell it - really, the game is pretty linear. If in VLR you could get endings A, B, and C from the get-go in any order, then D, E, and F, here it's more that you go all the way through route A, then use the knowledge from that to unlock route B, and so on. It's not until really late in the game that you start doing the VLR/ZTD-esque "jump around and unlock a bunch of things all over the flowchart".

Still, it's got a strong story, and the characters definitely grew on me. But the game starts very slow and the ending feels a little loose, for lack of a better term (in that some stuff kind of gets handwaved away.) But there's plenty of foreshadowing if you pay attention, so nothing really feels like you're getting the rug pulled out from under you. The game's focus on religion/mythology - with a strong basis in actual Japanese history - is also really cool and deeply tied with the themes of the game.

Yeah, I might expand this post and make a thread about it. It's a cool game! That said I'd be surprised if it got localized - it's really long (it took me around 40 hours I think?) and even by VN standards seems pretty niche. Also no way would it get dubbed - every line of dialogue in the game has voice-over (i.e. everything except narration.) Even the bonus post-game stuff has full voice.

This sounds good. I need to learn japanese some day.
With Steam version without localization, I have lost hope about an English Switch version. Only Circle Ent. can save us.

Second game of J.B. Harold was announced a few weeks ago.

tumblr_oxajo0c3Tn1s2z1y6o2_r1_540.jpg

Switch feels like a perfect platform for the VNs I've always wanted to play but never been able to find the time for. Would love to see Clannad, Steins;Gate, Fate/Stay Night, and Muv-Luv on the system.

If you have the inclination for it, all of those are available in Japanese for the Vita (assuming you can read it), and if you can't, with the exception of Fate/Stay Night, all of those are either available (Steins;Gate and 0), coming (Muv Luv), or rumored (Clannad) for English on the Vita. Might be something to consider.

tolkir

Top Bottom