• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Viva Piñata shots and info! TOO CUTE!

Borys said:
I own Cube and love it.

I own 20+ Cube games and love it.

Do a search on threads I've started - quite a few on Cube games.

You = owned.

*tries to think of 20 cube games worth owning.....*

So yeah, how about that viva pinanta? Hope they leave out the voices and fix those framerate issues.

Borys said:
Atrocious framerate.

May I remind you that this game is about 8 months away from release? Crappy framerate at this point in development is pretty much expected. They got plenty of time to sort it out.

marc^o^ said:
I just don't like the idea of seeing Microsoft luring kids. Why? Because I'm for open source vs proprietary applications, and that if Microsoft empire "raises" our kids, the world could end up looking like a bad science fiction scenario. I understand their strategic interest in this target for the long term, I just won't support it. The game looks great though, I love the art.
OMG :lol

quetz67

Banned
Somehow the video just destroyed the magic of the screenshots. Framerate and 'Pinata shading' need quite some work. And after watching the video I am even more convinced this wont find many fans among x360 owners.

TomO

I don't think there's any need to worry about the frame rate at this stage. The game isn't due out until Christmas is it?

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Borys said:
Atrocious framerate.
In the streaming video? There are framedrops everywhere in this one, I don't know how they encoded it, but they sure did an horrible job. Nothing to do with the game since it drops even in the CG sequences.

DaCocoBrova said:
This game makes no sense on this platform.
It seems people is missing this point: MS is making it exactly because they want it to make sense on Xbox 360. In other words, they want to expand the userbase to little children. Will they succeed? I think it will depend on the success of the TV show and if there are other children-targeted games in development.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I am actually really surprised with GAF's reaction, I was expecting a lot of bitching. You know, being Rare, cutesy and kinda Animal Crossing-ish.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Funky Papa said:
I am actually really surprised with GAF's reaction, I was expecting a lot of bitching. You know, being Rare, cutesy and kinda Animal Crossing-ish.
Yeah, I had predicted a lot of bitching a few hours before the official announcement, and mostly nothing happened. I guess the game looked nice and different enough.

jedimike

DaCocoBrova said:
This game makes no sense on this platform.

It's not for you... it's for your kids. MS is hoping that when you do your Holiday shopping that you'll buy Pinata for your kids and some games and accessories for yourself instead of spending all of your money on a Revolution or handheld for your kids. If they don't have something available for your kids, then you have no choice but to get a Revolution. With Pinata you will at least have a choice... and MS obviously wants to make the game so compelling that you'll choose it.

Prine

Banned
Funky Papa said:

i know! Im shoked at the reactions.

Go GAF! (for once)

Amir0x

Banned
Probationsmack said:
Kingdom hearts and earthbound are worse.

No Seriously.

I'm not sure why you'd want to side with wrong, but that's not my thing to figure out!

marc^o^ said:
Come on Borys, you hate Nintendo, whereas I just don't like the idea of seeing Microsoft luring kids. Why? Because I'm for open source vs proprietary applications, and that if Microsoft empire "raises" our kids, the world could end up looking like a bad science fiction scenario. I understand their strategic interest in this target for the long term, I just won't support it. The game looks great though, I love the art.

Speechless. I'm not sure if this deserves a time out, or a fuckin' parade.

jedimike

Amir0x said:
Speechless. I'm not sure if this deserves a time out, or a fuckin' parade.

a bit off topic here, but I wonder where some of these posters get all this hatred. The absolute last thing in the world I am worried about is MS developing software or hardware that my kids will use. I could never find myself actually hating Sony, Nintendo, or MS. If you want to hate something, look at our Government. Look at the billions of dollars of waste, the fabricated war, the insurmountable debt, and the inadequate funding of our education system.

/steps off soapbox

sorry for the interruption folks.

quetz67

Banned
Spider_Jerusalem said:
Right, and this is exactly why MS is developing it: finding more players out of the already established base.
They already tried (GbtG, Blinx) and failed like Nintendo failed to get more mature players to buy a GC. It isnt that easy.

They already tried (GbtG, Blinx) and failed like Nintendo failed to get more mature players to buy a GC. It isnt that easy.

The key is to make a GOOD game, not crap like Blinx, Sneakers, and GbtG.

I am happy to see the xbox 360 trying to branch out and build a more well rounded library.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Don't think it's my type of game, and I haven't been a fan of Rare games since the halcyon days of Anticipation and Wizards and Warriors, but you can't fault it - it looks adorable and has a refreshing, unique art style that definitely stands out... especially compared to the rest of the 360 library so far with its realistic racers, realistic military games, and western sewer-rat hunting rpgs with bad art :p

Iceshade

My return key is broken.
Those pinatas look creepy if you ask me. From the look in the donkey's eyes I think he wants to eat me. 4Kids is the devil I tell you.

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
They have such cool little animals and that game! It's soo awesome! The bear and the fox are the coolest looking ones!!! I really like the art style and the premise. Pinata animals = genious.

I refuse to use cute.

LakeEarth

Well my two cents about this game is that it looks really interesting and MS is obviously gonna be putting in a lot of advertising for it. The visual look is definetly unique so I'm all for it. I'll wait to see if its fun before getting it, but I love these types of games and I am really excited for it. The animal count is low, but I guess that's what microtransactions
bitch
are for.

Akira

LakeEarth said:
Well my two cents about this game is that it looks really interesting and MS is obviously gonna be putting in a lot of advertising for it. The visual look is definetly unique so I'm all for it. I'll wait to see if its fun before getting it, but I love these types of games and I am really excited for it. The animal count is low, but I guess that's what microtransactions
bitch
are for.

MS is ready to milk the crap out of this if it takes off, thus the low-ish pinata count. Get ready to see Viva Pinata: Lime Green and Chili Red next year with brand new pinata from a different island.

(Don't blast me, I like Pokemon)

LakeEarth

Akira said:
MS is ready to milk the crap out of this if it takes off, thus the low-ish pinata count. Get ready to see Viva Pinata: Lime Green and Chili Red next year with brand new pinata from a different island.

(Don't blast me, I like Pokemon)
Oh yeah, that's for sure. Less than 70 animals seems really low, but we really don't know exactly how fast the pace of this game will be, maybe getting all of them will take a long ass time even with the low number. I really think that this will take off for MS and Rare... just a guess, but right or wrong no one will remember I wrote this anyways.

Ryudo

My opinion? USED.
Funky Papa said:

It just looks extremely pretty and different. My vote for best graphics of next gen.

quetz67 said:
Well, trying and succeeding are very different matters. However this time MS seems really serious: GbtG and Blinx didn't have a related TV series and mass-level merchandising (it's like launching a game with the Teletubbies), and from the first shots and infos the game's concept and quality *seems* much higher than what we saw in previous attempts. We'll see...

quetz67

Banned
Spider_Jerusalem said:
Well, trying and succeeding are very different matters. However this time MS seems really serious: GbtG and Blinx didn't have a related TV series and mass-level merchandising (it's like launching a game with the Teletubbies), and from the first shots and infos the game's concept and quality *seems* much higher than what we saw in previous attempts. We'll see...
Blinx was planned to be the xbox mascot, they were extremely serious about that.

And where can I find something on that TV series? All I get from google on Viva Pinata is x360, Rare, x360, Rare and x360

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Mrbob said:
Interesting idea. MS trying to expand upon their normal userbase. Although the timing seems a little early. This is going to be a kids game positioned around a 300 and 400 dollar console?

My kids will get it because I have a 360. Granted, it might not be like that for everyone now. However, when this comes out and the game comes out, we may see it move some unit.s

quetz67 said:
Blinx was planned to be the xbox mascot, they were extremely serious about that.

And where can I find something on that TV series? All I get from google on Viva Pinata is x360, Rare, x360, Rare and x360

That is the TV series, basically. The game came first (from Rare, for the 360), then 4Kids decided to make a show out of it. But a trip to vivapinata.com might shed a bit more light on the subject. Also, Major Nelson posted the entire debut presentation on his blog (majornelson.com). If you're curious it's worth a listen, but it is the marketing machine stripped bare, sitting at foot of your bed, and there is no escaping its nauseating straightforwardness.

That being said, I'm psyched for the game and, hell, I'd buy that duck at Toys R Us for my drawing table.

Flynn

Agent Icebeezy said:
My kids will get it because I have a 360.

That's the key. Now that 30-year-olds are the average gamer, we're gonna see "teh mature" console idea start to dissolve. I mean, really, who ever said, "I'm buying a DVD player because it's more adult and edgy than a VCR?"

BenjaminBirdie said:
If you're curious it's worth a listen, but it is the marketing machine stripped bare, sitting at foot of your bed, and there is no escaping its nauseating straightforwardness.

That was quite disgusting, besides being a good game idea. But I guess a good game made for bad reasons is still a good game.

Unless the voice acting is as annoying as in that preview. Then it's all bad.

marc^o^ said:
Come on Borys, you hate Nintendo, whereas I just don't like the idea of seeing Microsoft luring kids. Why? Because I'm for open source vs proprietary applications, and that if Microsoft empire "raises" our kids, the world could end up looking like a bad science fiction scenario. I understand their strategic interest in this target for the long term, I just won't support it. The game looks great though, I love the art.

Holy shit, this is the most retarded thing I've ever read on GAF. Good call in banning this moron.

quetz67 said:

They simply asked artoon to create a cool character for an unusual (because of the time aspect) platform game, it is no way similar to the effort they're putting in this.

quetz67 said:
From the official press release:

"Viva Piñata" — The Animated Television Series

The "Viva Piñata" television series is set to air in the U.S. in fall 2006 on 4Kids TV — 4Kids Entertainment's four hours of children's programming broadcast Saturday mornings on FOX. In this comedy series, created by 4Kids Entertainment, a cast of piñata "friends" embark on wild adventures on Piñata Island. The appealing characters and their charming personalities are sure to entertain and stimulate the series' audience as they accompany the piñata characters on their zany adventures.

"We are very excited about partnering with Microsoft to share the 'Viva Piñata' universe with the world," said Alfred R. Kahn, Chairman and CEO of 4Kids Entertainment. "The potent combination of the Microsoft Game Studios and 4Kids will ensure that the 'Viva Piñata' world, including the video game, television series and merchandising program, attracts a worldwide audience."
I'd say this is much more serious than creating a cat-with-a-vacuum-cleaner mascot ;-)

Sabaku Ika said:
That was quite disgusting, besides being a good game idea. But I guess a good game made for bad reasons is still a good game.

Unless the voice acting is as annoying as in that preview. Then it's all bad.

AFAICT they won't be part of the game in any other capacity then, maybe a Kameo Wizard type optional guide that you can ignore.

According to 1Up Radio, tho, they mentioned that you have no physical presence in the game and invisibly(?) tend to your garden. I guess we'll have to wait and see about the specifics of gameplay.

Penny-Arcade said:
I don't want to make baseless assertions, but the odds are good that - as a person who visits Penny Arcade - you hold Optimus Prime in high regard. Optimus Prime was not spontaneously generated by the pure wish of a child. These supposedly "valid" market expressions are differentiated from the grasping, sordid toys of modernity by our vast personal investments.

Me too.

Pedigree Chum said:
Holy shit, this is the most retarded thing I've ever read on GAF. Good call in banning this moron.

He got banned because he asked for scanned pics of new mario bros in the recent new nintendo power issue

Top Bottom