• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fishbowl effect with new glasses

Status
Not open for further replies.

zeshakag

Hi Neogaf, I just got a new prescription for my eyesight for the first time in 5 years. I've been wearing contact lenses exclusively for over 10 years. Because I couldn't afford contacts at the moment I got glasses. Everything looks absolutely stunning, it's like living in the real world again after living underwater.

But I have a really prominent fish-eye lens effect. It's very disorienting. It's like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=argCvDpk_KQ

Is this normal? Will my eyes adjust? Do people who wear glasses just always put up with this? I don't recall this when I used to wear glasses as a kid. When I look at my monitor with my head tilted down, the monitor is leaning backward. If I look at it with my head tilting up, the monitor leans forward.

jett

D-Member
edit: eh apparently it is normal. I guess my glasses aren't strong at all, I've never experienced this.

Mossybrew

Gold Member
Yep you will adjust. Just got new glasses a month ago after about six years and it was very disorienting. About 2-3 days later, totally normal. If it still seems weird after a few days I'd go back.

Yeah. Your eyes adjust. It's just because the updated glasses are significantly stronger than your last, but if you can see well they're right for you. Two years ago i updated from four year old glasses and it was a right fuck for a while.

Look at your jeans! That's my favorite thing to do with new glasses.

I always feel like a giant after getting new glasses because the ground looks like it's further away, but eventually my eyes or brain adjust and accept it as normal.

Stike

A slight distortion compared to your previous vision that you were used to may happen, yes, but of course not that extreme as in the video.

If you have a distortion sensation and you feel a LITTLE disorientation, you first have to adapt/get used to the new glasses.

If it is way too strong and distorted, the glasses were made with the wrong settings or measures. Someone who measured your vision may have f'ed up, which isn't exactly rare. Get the glasses fixed, I'd say.

zeshakag

Look at your jeans! That's my favorite thing to do with new glasses.

oh GOD. This texture pack is OP.

A slight distortion compared to your previous vision that you were used to may happen, yes, but of course not that extreme as in the video.

If you have a distortion sensation and you feel a LITTLE disorientation, you first have to adapt/get used to the new glasses.

If it is way too strong and distorted, the glasses were made with the wrong settings or measures. Someone who measured your vision may have f'ed up, which isn't exactly rare. Get the glasses fixed, I'd say.

Yep you will adjust. Just got new glasses a month ago after about six years and it was very disorienting. About 2-3 days later, totally normal. If it still seems weird after a few days I'd go back.

Perhaps I'll sit tight and see if I can't adjust after a week or so.

Kittygirl

Yep, it's normal. I was put into gas permeable contacts at 13 due to vision deterioration, and got glasses at 21. I literally walked into a wall the first day.

Within a week, there was no issue. My brain just had to adapt to the different way of seeing things. Now I can switch between them with no problems.

Just don't drive until you adjust.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Yeah you'll adjust, when I got my new pair about 2 years ago after not getting a new prescription in 4 years I noticed that I felt a fishbowl effect from my peripherals but after the first day it got a lot better and now I don't even notice it.

I think it mostly happens when you have such shit vision that the lens is forced to be really thick.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
It's usually weird for me until I go to bed and wake up the next morning. Once I put the new glasses on after that it seems to iron out.

zeshakag

Yep, it's normal. I was put into gas permeable contacts at 13 due to vision deterioration, and got glasses at 21. I literally walked into a wall the first day.

Within a week, there was no issue. My brain just had to adapt to the different way of seeing things. Now I can switch between them with no problems.

Just don't drive until you adjust.

Okay, all of this makes me feel better.

Must resist...urge to drive with (imaginary) top down around the block to show off my new sexy glasses.

I can see through the 4th dimension. Someone get me a tessaract.

Your eyes adjust.

Eventually, it will flip the other way, the world will look distorted when you take them off. The human brain is awesome.

I was an optician for quite a while.

It's not uncommon. Typically, it can be caused by a couple different factors. If your glasses have correction for astigmatism, and your contacts didn't, it can be slightly disorienting. (A quick and fast way to tell is if your prescription has any power in the Cylinder and Axis fields on the written prescription.) For example, a prescription of -3.00 -1.75 x 90 has 1.75 diopeters of astigmatism correction. (Or if it's in plus cylinder ie -3.00 +1.75 x90, it also has astigmatism correction. A second cause can be because of the different base curve between the contact and spectacle. Typically this is something you have to adjust to. Contacts, depending on the type, can also cause some corneal changes. They can flatten out the cornea a bit. As the cornea "relaxes," it regains its original shape. (These changes are very, very minor and don't really effect people's vision.) A third cause could be material non-adapt, but that's very, very, very unlikely. A fourth cause could be the frames are maladjusted. Along with that, there could have been a measurement error. However, if they're single vision lenses, the only thing that could probably be off is your PD or pupil distance. Unless you're hyper sensitive, that shouldn't be the cause.

If I had to take a guess, I'd say it's the transition from contacts to glasses. You should get used to it. I'd give it a week or two. If you're still having issue, go back to the dispensary and have them check the measurements, prescription and base curve. (Although, without another pair of spectacles, they probably won't have anything to go on re: Base curve.)

zeshakag

I cheaped out on zenni's and got the free lower-index lenses. Chromatic aberration is visible near the edge and I guess a higher index fixes that. Not a noticeable problem. Later on I suppose I will upgrade them.

I was an optician for quite a while.

It's not uncommon. Typically, it can be caused by a couple different factors. If your glasses have correction for astigmatism, and your contacts didn't, it can be slightly disorienting. (A quick and fast way to tell is if your prescription has any power in the Cylinder and Axis fields on the written prescription.) For example, a prescription of -3.00 -1.75 x 90 has 1.75 diopeters of astigmatism correction. (Or if it's in plus cylinder ie -3.00 +1.75 x90, it also has astigmatism correction.

This is interesting. I think it might be (as you said) the transition. I think I had astigmatism correction on my contact lenses because I had to get a thing called toric lenses and I recall seeing a similar syntax with the second number.

Thanks for the cool info.

I cheaped out on zenni's and got the free lower-index lenses. Chromatic aberration is visible near the edge and I guess a higher index fixes that. Not a noticeable problem. Later on I suppose I will upgrade them.

How strong is your prescription?

I'm a -3.75 if n my right eye (my left eye is....well, it's a disaster because of recurrent corneal erosion, so you could put the flipping Hubble on my face and I couldn't see shit.) And I'm fine, optically, with most materials. Obviously, the difference in weight is there, but that's about it.

Unless you're really myopic the difference in index shouldn't make a huge difference. Again, though, you could be non-adapt to the materials. I had patents who couldn't wear polycarbonate or higher index lenses. Typically, though, these people are few and far between.

I freaking love Zenni. I have a bajillion pairs of glasses because of them. It's my addiction.

Ya, if you wear toric lenses, you have astigmatic correction. Some doctors don't prescribe torics, but do something called spherical equivalent. Of course, that's only if your astigmatism is really minor. You're more than welcome for the info. I adore optics. I miss it so much, but with my limited vision I can't see to do all the other stuff that goes with it.

zeshakag

How strong is your prescription?

I'm a -3.75 if n my right eye (my left eye is....well, it's a disaster because of recurrent corneal erosion, so you could put the flipping Hubble on my face and I couldn't see shit.) And I'm fine, optically, with most materials. Obviously, the difference in weight is there, but that's about it.

Unless you're really myopic the difference in index shouldn't make a huge difference. Again, though, you could be non-adapt to the materials. I had patents who couldn't wear polycarbonate or higher index lenses. Typically, though, these people are few and far between.

I freaking love Zenni. I have a bajillion pairs of glasses because of them. It's my addiction.

Let's see

My right eye is -5.00 -1.00 x 50

Then my left crappy eye (who also can't get 20/20 even with Hubble) is -3.75 -1.00 x 125

I told him my left eye always sucked and could never read the bottom of the chart in a satisfying manner when looking through the phoropter. He told me it could be corrected with lasers so I might consider that. I have no idea if my vision has stabilized since it's been so long since a new prescription.

Let's see

My right eye is -5.00 -1.00 x 50

Then my left crappy eye (who also can't get 20/20 even with Hubble) is -3.75 -1.00 x 125

I told him my left eye always sucked and could never read the bottom of the chart in a satisfying manner when looking through the phoropter. He told me it could be corrected with lasers so I might consider that. I have no idea if my vision has stabilized since it's been so long since a new prescription.

A higher index lens is probably a good idea, simply because of the difference between your left and right eyes. Optically, meh, it could go either way. Usually, anything above a -4.00 and I would push the patient towards a higher index lens. I can't remember what Zenni's standard lens is, since I always go for whatever's the cheapest hahaha.

I still think it's just the transition from contacts to glasses, especially if it's been years since you've worn them. I'd give it a few days or a week or so. Even I, who have worn glasses (not contacts) forever get a bit of it when I switch between one of my pairs and the ones I always wear. There's a base curve difference. As long as the glasses aren't really curved around your face, you should be good in time. :)

I had a pair of glasses that I could never adjust to. The frames were leather and the lenses had a slight curve to them. I spent weeks trying to adjust them so they were straighter, and it made it a bit better. However, they always gave me issues. I still loved them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom