• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fishing Resort new trailer [Wii/XSEED/Prope] - open-world fishing

The ones on 1UP? Gave 'em all thumbs up. :)

Didn't mean to sound like I was nagging you to write something. I was only concerned that the blog might have moved. If you are busy, concentrate on your job (keeping Tom on a short leash (but not too short)).

Awww, thanks, man. I liked writing those, but I had to do so many that it got a bit grueling at the end.

And, no worries. I didn't take it that way. I want to update it, but it's just low priority right at the moment (Tom is a fulltime job. ^_-). Kind of embarrassing considering we have way more people following it now...

Philia

So. H.Protagionist, is this your GOBLIN SHARK?

UHtv3.jpg

Because LMAO.

sn00zer

Unrelated but is there a chance in hell Big Ol Bass will make a return....catching imaginary fish is way more fun than catching real fish
especially when you can fish for a trex

bryehn

Never heard of this before (looks awesome) and haven't turned my Wii on in months, did this make it to Canada?

See on the photo. Sembilan Island's last page "monster" when it is only a tiny teeny wittle fish.

Haha! That's awesome. :D

Unrelated but is there a chance in hell Big Ol Bass will make a return....catching imaginary fish is way more fun than catching real fish
especially when you can fish for a trex

No way. Real fish is where it's at. There are lots of real life monsters in this game. ^_^

TVaRgl.jpg

J8Knnl.jpg

DjOXX.jpg

Never heard of this before (looks awesome) and haven't turned my Wii on in months, did this make it to Canada?

It did, and word is getting out so it may be easier to find now! Toys R Us and Walmart Canada both are supposed to have it. You just have to search a bit (calling ahead seems to help!), but it's totally worth it. :)

Meier

Girlfriend came through and got this for me for Christmas and I've played with her watching a few times now. Is it possible to catch an Alligator Gar with the 2* XL rod and reel? I swore I had one finally but then out of nowhere, with the tension only at 60% or so, it got away. 10-footer. :(

I have a biggest catch the next in-game day so I'm curious if I even have a shot...

adroit

Girlfriend came through and got this for me for Christmas
Marry her.

Is it possible to catch an Alligator Gar with the 2* XL rod and reel?
You don't need to use XL. L is plenty good enough. My spreadsheet shows that I've caught several AGs with the Hamstring and Hunter (2-star L) and a whole ton with Storm Killer and Lunker Keeper (3-star L). That includes an S-rated AG.

Aselith

I think I might pick this joint up. Could someone who has the game (not H. Protagonist! No offense, you're just maybe a little close to it :p) tell me how it works with the Wiimote? Is the fishing rod attachment just for looks or is it important for the gameplay? Basically is the experience a lot better with the attachment much better or about the same.

I think I might pick this joint up. Could someone who has the game (not H. Protagonist! No offense, you're just maybe a little close to it :p) tell me how it works with the Wiimote? Is the fishing rod attachment just for looks or is it important for the gameplay? Basically is the experience a lot better with the attachment much better or about the same.

I was going to say that you actually need 20 of those rod attachments, 3 Wiis duct-taped together, a copy of Gymkata, one live cormorant and a bag of hammers to really get that full fishing experience, but fine, listen to adroit. ;_;

Muskweeto

This game looks fantastic.

Is it like a fishing RPG, meaning are there upgrades and always something to work for to find better fish?

If so, I just might have to pick this up on Friday.

Also, is the fishing rod attachment only left handed or can it be changed? Growing up using the reel with my right hand when real life fishing will make the switch feel weird. if it can't be changed I'd rather just get the game alone.

I was going to say that you actually need 20 of those rod attachments, 3 Wiis duct-taped together, a copy of Gymkata, one live cormorant and a bag of hammers to really get that full fishing experience, but fine, listen to adroit. ;_;
I think you're lying about the hammers part... Just a hunch!

I played a little bit of it so far, and I have to say, it's really relaxing. Kind of game you can sit down, chill out and play without a care in the world for hours on end
helps that I'm taking three months off before starting my residency also

adroit

This game looks fantastic.
It is fantastic.

Is it like a fishing RPG, meaning are there upgrades and always something to work for to find better fish?
Yes indeed! There are increasingly more expensive rods and reels. There are tons and tons of clothes to buy (many in multiple colors!). And there are over 200 freakin' fish to catch. Some are easy; some are bloody hard. And you work towards buying your own boat so you can cruise the seas whenever you want. This game kicks tushy and takes names.

Also, is the fishing rod attachment only left handed or can it be changed?
I think it can be assembled either way but don't quote me on that. Hopefully someone can confirm (edit: @MUWANdo has confirmed above). Here are the instructions:

http://fishingresortwii.com/images/fishingRod_instruction.png

Muskweeto

You can unscrew the reel holder thing and flip it around, depending on which hand you'd prefer to use.
I was just reading through the thread and saw that someone had asked this already, but thanks for the quick response.

It is fantastic.

Yes indeed! There are increasingly more expensive rods and reels. There are tons and tons of clothes to buy (many in multiple colors!). And there are over 200 freakin' fish to catch. Some are easy; some are bloody hard. And you work towards buying your own boat so you can cruise the seas whenever you want. This game kicks tushy and takes names.

I think it can be assembled either way but don't quote me on that. Hopefully someone can confirm (edit: @MUWANdo has confirmed above). Here are the instructions:

http://fishingresortwii.com/images/fishingRod_instruction.png
Sounds incredible, will buy, thanks for the info.

Aselith

No, I see your point. Does Xseed make bags of hammers? I know you have the cormorants...should I get the racing stripe version? I'm a little concerned about animal abuse as far as how to you get those stripes on it plus there's the shipping costs. I think they still have the vanilla version here locally.

Meier

Marry her.

You don't need to use XL. L is plenty good enough. My spreadsheet shows that I've caught several AGs with the Hamstring and Hunter (2-star L) and a whole ton with Storm Killer and Lunker Keeper (3-star L). That includes an S-rated AG.

I plan to one of these days...

Maybe it is the bait I am using then (a L-XL lure that kind of looks like a fat fish.. forget the name but I think it's a crankbait).. or I'm still just not quite getting the reeling in bit. I've had some serious battles with them but when I was using the 2* L and 2* M-L rod and reel it got away almost immediately. The 2* XL rod and 2* XL reel have allowed me to fight them longer but eventually I had a few get away. Like I said, I was absolutely confident I'd land the last one I fought but he got off out of nowhere.

Do you have some recommendations on the reeling in process? I'm tilting my Wiimote as recommended and letting the slack out when the meter gets red but eventually they get away. Do you frequently yank the rod tip up (pull the wiimote towards you)? I can't quite tell if this is helpful but it seems like it is.. I know it can help in real life seemingly.

Zarovitch

I've not find the game here in Quebec Canada, them i've command the game from amazon, they are supposed to ship it today. I can't wait to try this game.

Philia

Do you have some recommendations on the reeling in process? I'm tilting my Wiimote as recommended and letting the slack out when the meter gets red but eventually they get away. Do you frequently yank the rod tip up (pull the wiimote towards you)? I can't quite tell if this is helpful but it seems like it is.. I know it can help in real life seemingly.

The Alligator Gar imho is the peak of the fishing difficulty if you ask me. Every other fish I caught after is easy peasy or peachy at least until I got the 3 star XL rod/reel for those big ones later on. Basically you need to understand that these fish are FIGHTING for their lives lmao. HALF of the battle is letting them "run" but also restrict them before they get too far. Eventually they WILL get tired (you'll notice the lack of speed in their swim) and you can finally reel them in. Go in with this mindset and you'll be okay capturing these guys. I find slowly reeling works best for the first half, and then dedicated reeling to yellow/orange range to prevent them from dropping or tugging too hard.

adroit

Do you frequently yank the rod tip up (pull the wiimote towards you)?
Never (unless trolling in the cruiser). I keep the Wiimote pointed straight up and tilt it side to side as directed. Other than that I just reel.

I've long wondered if in-game experience had something to do with what the game would let you catch successfully so I created a new player and bought a Hamstring (2-star L), Hunter (2-star M-L), and Deep Green McCoy (spinner). Then I hit the road to Panas Jungle ranked as a Visitor (lowest level). I rented a boat and headed to the Mangrove Pool to face my nemesis. After catching a few Peacock Bass and Redtail Catfish, I finally hooked the beast. It was quite a fight with 2-star tackle but I brought it in. My rating was Rookie Rank 7. So this puts my concern to rest that the game artificially limits what you can catch with a low ranking.

While I was reeling it in, I tried to keep the tension as constant as possible in the yellow range. I did this by just barely reeling and then stopping. Over and over. No steady cranking. Stop and start (very slowly). It seems like you'll never bring in the fish but you will.

I think you're lying about the hammers part... Just a hunch!

I played a little bit of it so far, and I have to say, it's really relaxing. Kind of game you can sit down, chill out and play without a care in the world for hours on end
helps that I'm taking three months off before starting my residency also

Never! And, this is probably the ideal game for a chilled out recovery period from work/school. It makes your brain feel at peace.

No, I see your point. Does Xseed make bags of hammers? I know you have the cormorants...should I get the racing stripe version? I'm a little concerned about animal abuse as far as how to you get those stripes on it plus there's the shipping costs. I think they still have the vanilla version here locally.

We actually make hammers out of the leftover cormorants. XSEED recycles.

I9wAk.gif

Sleep tight.

Can't. Stop. Watching.

I've not find the game here in Quebec Canada, them i've command the game from amazon, they are supposed to ship it today. I can't wait to try this game.

Hurray! Thanks for getting it, and be sure to post your impressions when you get going. :)

Captain N

I just saw this is only $19.99 on Amazon.com right now. ordered.

Edit wait do I want the one with or without the fishing rod???

adroit

Can't find this anywhere locally in Canada. :(
Do EBGames-type stores accept special orders? Way back in the old days when I'd walk into a book store, the employees always stressed that they'd be happy to special order anything I wanted that they didn't have in their store. Do stores no longer do that kind of thing these days?

Edit: Why the heck doesn't Amazon.ca carry this game? In a country as huge and sparsely populated as Canada, I'd think Amazon.ca would be the way to go.

Do EBGames-type stores accept special orders? Way back in the old days when I'd walk into a book store, the employees always stressed that they'd be happy to special order anything I wanted that they didn't have in their store. Do stores no longer do that kind of thing these days?

Edit: Why the heck doesn't Amazon.ca carry this game? In a country as huge and sparsely populated as Canada, I'd think Amazon.ca would be the way to go.

I was at an EB recently, and they didn't even have it in their system.

I'll just order it online eventually, but it's really too bad that it's not more widely available.

EDarkness

I was at an EB recently, and they didn't even have it in their system.

I'll just order it online eventually, but it's really too bad that it's not more widely available.

I want a good fishing game, so I'm considering picking it up. How does it compare to Sega Bass/Marine fishing?

I have literally been waiting for YEARS for a fishing game like this one sounds to be. I love fishing and I wish there were better fishing games out there. I had high hopes when the wii released but they all sounded pretty meh so far, or too arcady. But this one sounds awesome! I can't believe I haven't heard of this yet. I'll be picking this up. Thanks guys.

bwahhhhh

not sure how this slipped under my radar and that I'm just finding out about this now, as I'm a huge fan of Naka's games (well, his non-"3D Sonic" stuff, I think he just got burned out doing them)

I said "no more" after a christmas buying binge, but I'll check out some more videos

No, EB uses a central database system, so what the stores are able to stock is listed in their system. If it doesn't show up, it's very likely you'll never see the game in the store.

Kacho

Dude, what?! This is now officially the best game ever! Haha

Anyway, it's been nearly a week since I picked up the game and I've already put in 35 hours. Fishing Resort is the best fishing game I have ever played. The RPG aspects are a great inclusion and gives the game a hook that keeps you coming back for more.

Trolling out on the open sea is probably my favorite activity thus far, as it is always an exciting experience. It's one hell of a battle to reel in the fish after a bite and I'm always thinking to myself, "OH, I GOT A BIG ONE!", but then it turns out to be another Oilfish. :( The randomness makes it great though. I had the biggest smile on my face when I reeled in my first marlin.

A big thanks and a high-five to you XSeed folks who managed to bring this over. I hope it does well enough for you guys, as I would love to see future titles (if they even happen) come over to the states as well.

I just saw this is only $19.99 on Amazon.com right now. ordered.

Edit wait do I want the one with or without the fishing rod???

Woohoo! And as adroit said, both versions are fine, it just depends on what kind of fishing experience you want. I gesticulate like crazy playing this game so no rod is good for me, but having the rod also adds a bit of challenge/precision (and realism, maybe?).

I have literally been waiting for YEARS for a fishing game like this one sounds to be. I love fishing and I wish there were better fishing games out there. I had high hopes when the wii released but they all sounded pretty meh so far, or too arcady. But this one sounds awesome! I can't believe I haven't heard of this yet. I'll be picking this up. Thanks guys.

And there was much rejoicing. ^_^

not sure how this slipped under my radar and that I'm just finding out about this now, as I'm a huge fan of Naka's games (well, his non-"3D Sonic" stuff, I think he just got burned out doing them)

I said "no more" after a christmas buying binge, but I'll check out some more videos

If you like Naka's other stuff, then this is probably right up your ally. Have you played Ivy the Kiwi? His last two games have been charming and relaxing, and solidly built. Plus at $19.99 it won't hurt your wallet too bad. :)

No, EB uses a central database system, so what the stores are able to stock is listed in their system. If it doesn't show up, it's very likely you'll never see the game in the store.

Yeah. :( Sorry, Gunloc. The game wasn't exactly a huge, much anticipated title, and didn't get a very big release, so finding copies (especially in Canada) has been pretty hard for people. I really appreciate you guys making the effort to track one down, and sorry it's been such a pain. Hopefully with word spreading we'll get some reorders in and more copies will make their way out into the wild.

Dude, what?! This is now officially the best game ever! Haha

Anyway, it's been nearly a week since I picked up the game and I've already put in 35 hours. Fishing Resort is the best fishing game I have ever played. The RPG aspects are a great inclusion and gives the game a hook that keeps you coming back for more.

Trolling out on the open sea is probably my favorite activity thus far, as it is always an exciting experience. It's one hell of a battle to reel in the fish after a bite and I'm always thinking to myself, "OH, I GOT A BIG ONE!", but then it turns out to be another Oilfish. :( The randomness makes it great though. I had the biggest smile on my face when I reeled in my first marlin.

A big thanks and a high-five to you XSeed folks who managed to bring this over. I hope it does well enough for you guys, as I would love to see future titles (if they even happen) come over to the states as well.

*high five* I'm just happy to hear that people are digging it, and a lot of sales we get are word of mouth, so I have you guys to thank, really. ^_^

Ok, so I got this game yesterday. Pretty fun so far. One question though, how do I know when a fish strikes when I'm using a lure? I kinda just lucked out on setting the hook during the lure tutorial and there was a fish there when I set the hook. I didn't notice what indicated that the fish struck though.

adroit

how do I know when a fish strikes when I'm using a lure?
I bet you have rumble disabled. Rumble is the only indication of a bite when you are lure fishing. A very short rumble blip means a fish might be interested (but no bite yet). A sustained rumble means it's time to set the hook (i.e., flick the remote).

I bet you have rumble disabled. Rumble is the only indication of a bite when you are lure fishing. A very short rumble blip means a fish might be interested (but no bite yet). A sustained rumble means it's time to set the hook (i.e., flick the remote).

ah yep, thanks. i did have rumble disabled.

Muskweeto

Just picked up the bundle on my way home from work, got the last (only?) copy at the store.

I'll see if I can try it tonight. If not, I'll wait for a day off.

Either way, YAY!

Araxen

Banned
I bought this game from Gamestop today and I have to give a big thank you to Neogaf as this game is really great! Now if they would only sell the rod accessory separate so I could buy another one because I'm sure my niece is going to want to play this too and if she breaks it I'm SOL! I know you can use it without it but I really like the controller accessory for this game.

Philia

I bought this game from Gamestop today and I have to give a big thank you to Neogaf as this game is really great! Now if they would only sell the rod accessory separate so I could buy another one because I'm sure my niece is going to want to play this too and if she breaks it I'm SOL! I know you can use it without it but I really like the controller accessory for this game.

I can send you mine for free. :) Just pm me your address. Mine haven't even been outside of the plastic lol.

Just picked up the bundle on my way home from work, got the last (only?) copy at the store.

I'll see if I can try it tonight. If not, I'll wait for a day off.

Either way, YAY!

Score! Can't wait to hear what you think of it. :)

One of us! One of us! Really glad you like it. Word of mouth is working! :D Feel free to post your impressions, review it, score it, anything really. More people should know about Fishing Resort and shed salty tears of joy. ^_^ Sorry about the rod accessory. We can only sell it as the bundle unfortunately. I have heard a few accounts (before christmas anyway) of people buying two bundles, keeping the 2nd rod and giving the 2nd game as a gift. That seems to be the only way...Unless of course you luck out and some awesome person by the name of Philia just gives you hers. ;)

Top Bottom