• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT3| BroScience, Protein Dysentery, XXL Calf Implants, and Squat Rack Hogs

Status
Not open for further replies.
If anybody is still after Fitocracy invites, Fitocracy have given gaf a few hundred and a unique sign up code, I posted a Fitocracy thread with it in: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=448841

It's currently sinking without a trace
KuGsj.gif

Petrie said:
I hesitate to give advice to the guys bigger than me, even though on squats my form, and weight, destroys theirs typically. The scrawny kid inside me is still intimidated.
I received advice on how to do military. Guy told me to bring the bar down to the top of my head to target the shoulders more.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
MjFrancis said:
I keep silent on everyone's form. Most people are more willing to give advice than to take it, so I've asked when I've wanted constructive criticism and I've given advice to the best of my ability when asked. If I'm uninvited I keep out of it.

Then again, there's been very few people I've seen deadlift or squat with blatantly horrible form save for a few 1/2 squatters. Most of the people who go to the gym when I do are bicep curl bros, machine junkies or treadmill hamsters. I could correct some bicep curling, but I haven't curled all year and for all I know they may be intentionally rocking their back with every rep to maximize the weight they use. Not my business.

At least no one has ever corrected my good mornings thinking I was trying to squat. Not yet, at least.

I've gotten some odd looks when I do goodmornings, but I'm not a straight leg good morning guy. I bend my knees and lean back with my ass. I'm sure more than once someone has thought I was doing squats wrong, or they were admiring my ass, either way, haha.

Here's how I do mine more or less, also, dat ass.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iycq-kJann0

oxrock

Gravity is a myth, the Earth SUCKS!
I see people who just have no idea wtf they're doing in the gym all the time. The kind of people that make you wonder how they know to breath. It really doesn't hurt to offer a small tidbit of advice to see if they're receptive or not. If so, educate someone. I'm embarrassed for people when I see them doing incredibly ignorant shit; I can't stand it. I haven't yet run into someone who's told me to fuck off and mind my own business. However, if I do meet that person, I'll do exactly that. Then I'll be sure to be audible when I laugh at them. =p (prolly not, though I'll think it really loud!)

oxrock

Alienshogun said:
I've gotten some odd looks when I do goodmornings, but I'm not a straight leg good morning guy. I bend my knees and lean back with my ass. I'm sure more than once someone has thought I was doing squats wrong, or they were admiring my ass, either way, haha.

I've thrown out my back just bending over to pick something up, so leaning over stressing my lower back with a bar on my shoulders is a bit scary. Mostly it looks awkward. Not sure if want...

oxrock said:
I've thrown out my back just bending over to pick something up, so leaning over stressing my lower back with a bar on my shoulders is a bit scary. Mostly it looks awkward. Not sure if want...

Well, you definitely don't want to lean over. Instead, stick your butt back. It's in the hips, not the lower back.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
oxrock said:

All the more reason to do lower back exercises.

Watch that video, she mentions a beginner exercise called "supermans" check out videos on how to do those.

MjFrancis

Alienshogun said:

I do good mornings like that, also more or less.

Jim Wendler said:
The first mistake people make with good mornings is treating the exercise as a movement and not as a muscle builder/strengthener. When it’s used as a movement, form is usually thrown out the window, and weight is all that matters. This is not a good idea. The good morning is used to build your lower back and hamstrings, so perform the exercise in a way that hits these muscles correctly. This means pushing your butt way back, trying to keep somewhat of an arch in your back, and using as full a range of motion as you can. Don’t be Half Rep McGee.

I'm partial to the idea of getting more out of less, especially since Bruce Lee screwed up his back manhandling a relatively heavy set of good mornings.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Good Mornings, as far as I understand them, are supposed to basically strengthen the muscle groups that need to be to have proper deadlifting form.

I noticed that with my deadlifts, I have trouble keeping my shins vertical because my hamstring is too tight/not strong enough along with my hips being a little short to allow my butt to move backwards enough to the point where my shins aren't exhibiting any motion but are completely vertical. What ends up happening is that when I am on the way down, the bar is not moving in a completely vertical manner because I am having to go out in front of my knees a little bit. That's because my shins are not vertical, and when that happens, you tend to utilize your lower back more which is a no-no and can be detrimental.

It's very easy to allow yourself to push your knees forward and too far in front of your midfoot when doing deadlifts. Good Mornings are supposed to alleviate that because you are focusing in a bit on the part that is essential to proper deadlifting form in the downward movement, ie keeping your shins completely vertical and your leg past your knees immobile.

Someone please correct my if I am wrong.

Alienshogun said:
Not sure if serious, if serious, must know your response.
I let him work in so he kept trying to correct me and every time he would say its wrong while spitting out broscience. I told him his way didnt seem right. I wanted to tell him to try it how its supposed to be done but I know he would want me to try his idiotic form. I told him "thanks maybe next workout" and let him be.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
cuevas said:
I let him work in so he kept trying to correct me and every time he would say its wrong while spitting out broscience. I told him his way didnt seem right. I wanted to tell him to try it how its supposed to be done but I know he would want me to try his idiotic form. I told him "thanks maybe next workout" and let him be.

Lol, I await the day a muscle/joint gives way or some other freak happening and the bar splits his skull open.

rando14

It seems like that sort of military press would just be a form with incomplete range of motion. Some people do presses behind the head to target shoulders, and while I'm not a fan, I guess I can understand where this guy's weird form came from.

Still, leaving any weight above your head like that is dumb as shit.

newjeruse

So, I've decided to start Crossfit... well kind of. I have set four conditions for myself before I proceed:

1. Get staffed at my job. I'm freelance right now and I don't want to commit to $200 per month without some financial certitude in my life.

2. Get back to my 3 miles in 20 minute benchmark. This has always been my threshold for considering myself in sufficient cardiovascular shape. (Currently running 3 miles in 25 minutes)

3. Squat 315. (currently at around 275)

4. Do 20 consecutive pull-ups. (currently doing 10-12)

Basically, I don't want to go there and embarrass myself. Has anyone had any experience with Crossfit? Are these goals necessary as a starting point? Thanks in advance for any advice.

rando14 said:
It seems like that sort of military press would just be a form with incomplete range of motion. Some people do presses behind the head to target shoulders, and while I'm not a fan, I guess I can understand where this guy's weird form came from.

Still, leaving any weight above your head like that is dumb as shit.

I later saw him teaching some scrawny kid to do it that way too. It hurt to watch. I wanted to help the fella out but never saw him again since that day I worked out at a different time than I usually do. HE LITERALLY TOUCHES THE CROWN OF HIS HEAD, CMON BRO.

I'm sure this question has been asked before, but I'm gonna ask it again. What are the benefits/drawbacks of working out in the morning? I'm doing P90X right now so I"m doing cardio and weights.

obijkenobi said:
I'm sure this question has been asked before, but I'm gonna ask it again. What are the benefits/drawbacks of working out in the morning? I'm doing P90X right now so I"m doing cardio and weights.

Same benefits/drawbacks of working out later in the day? Unless you're really not a morning person you should be fine.

YagizY

newjeruse said:
So, I've decided to start Crossfit... well kind of. I have set four conditions for myself before I proceed:

1. Get staffed at my job. I'm freelance right now and I don't want to commit to $200 per month without some financial certitude in my life.

2. Get back to my 3 miles in 20 minute benchmark. This has always been my threshold for considering myself in sufficient cardiovascular shape. (Currently running 3 miles in 25 minutes)

Basically, I don't want to go there and embarrass myself. Has anyone had any experience with Crossfit? Are these goals necessary as a starting point? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Dude I can't do close to any of that and I just joined crossfit. Relax and just do it. You won't embarrass yourself. There are a ton of new people at the crossfit gym I go to. I don't really know who you are trying to impress.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
newjeruse said:

Good goals.

My best advice for Crossfit is to find a gym with the right people and get yourself the right trainer. It's important to put a huge emphasis on correct form and the correct way to do things. It's not all about going out as much as you can, but pace yourself so you don't get injured.

At least that's been my experience, and others have had opposite experiences because, like with everything workout related, there can be a huge faction of broscience that will be detrimental.

cuevas said:
I received advice on how to do military. Guy told me to bring the bar down to the top of my head to target the shoulders more.

lol... wtf?

My poor vision and lack of basic math skills lead me to inadvertently do dips with 80lbs instead of 65lbs. I surprised myself when I did 9reps, of course, my form turned to shit afterward. I'm expecting to be sore as hell tomorrow.

So I ended up going to the gym last night even though I said wasn't going to lol. I wake up this morning and my wrists and hands feel pretty good. I've been doing a lot of wrist stretches, trying to keep them loose.. seems to be working so far.

Cheeto said:
Does Fitocracy allow you to display your weight?

As far as I'm aware, not to everybody else at this moment in time. They've been promising, graphs, charts etc coming soon so maybe then you'll be able to track your weight and make it public, if you so desire.

You can stalk workout somebody's weight via their achievements if you were that bothered.

Dash27

newjeruse said:

Unnecessary. We have people in our gym doing pull ups on bands, squating 80lbs (or even just the bar) and running over 10 minute miles. Others are going for a 305# power clean later this afternoon and crush everything RX.

200 a month sounds really steep though? What part of the country is this?

Gvaz

Banned
obijkenobi said:
It's up to the person. I'm not awake in the morning, and hate getting up early. At night it's a pain because it's dark but I actually have energy to do shit then.

Sofo

After reading through most of the OP, and trying to work out on my own (combining some exercises here and some improvised ones) I think I'm ready to ask for help.
I won't get into much detail, because I don't want to sound tedious. Excuse me how I explain the exercises, I have never been into fitness and english is not my usual language.

• Height: 171 cm
  • Weight: 65~67 kg (tend to lose weight fast)
  • Goal: Size. I'm a slim person. I've always been and even if my legs and lower body looks good, aesthetically speaking, I'd like to achieve some mass on my upper body. Mostly arms and chest.
  • Current training schedule: I'm currently working out on Mon-Wed-Fri basis. Doing 30 reps of dumbbell of 3kg (in each arm) holding them and rising them up towards my shoulders; also another exercise I do is while laying on the floor arms wide open and keeping them straight, move the dumbbells towards the center. Some abs working, mainly the one where you move your left/right knee towards the right/left elbow. Also some squats, holding the dumbbells on clavicle-area. As you can tell, it varies and keep changing, as long as I keep feeling my muscles working. Usually lasts around 30 to 45 minutes.
  • Current training equipment available: Only 2 dumbbells of 3kg each.
  • Comments: Can't really spare going to the gym. I'm tight on money and would appreciate exercises with the dumbbells. I also lack time to go to the gym, basically to where our home is located and where I work. I don't mind if it is time consuming, as long as I can do it at home (space is not an issue).
Thanks for helping. What I've been doing has helped me gain some weight on my biceps, but it clearly isn't enough for chest work. I'm surely doing something wrong because I've never been a sports guy, but I'm willing to learn.

Pd. Joined Fitocracy, under the same username. But the exercises names are confusing so I'm not sure if I listed correctly what I'm doing.

Gvaz

Banned
Does anyone have any tips about warm up sets without feeling like your sets are ruined from it?

If I do a bunch of warm up sets it has to be like around half tops of the weight I mean to do, otherwise when I actually go to do my intended sets I'm too weak to complete them.

Dash27

cuevas said:
Where are you from that $200 isn't steep? I pay $50 for my membership and that's too much.

200 a month is a lot, is my point. I pay over a hundred a month and while it's expensive, it's worth it. I'm wondering what you get for 200.

oxrock

Gvaz said:
Does anyone have any tips about warm up sets without feeling like your sets are ruined from it?

If I do a bunch of warm up sets it has to be like around half tops of the weight I mean to do, otherwise when I actually go to do my intended sets I'm too weak to complete them.
I'd like to take this a step further and ask what the benefit is for warm up sets. I've personally never done them. I just stretch before working out and then get into my main lifting. I've never had any injuries as a result so I'm not really sure what the warm up is all about.

Dash27

Sofo said:
[*]Goal: Size.

This comes from nutrition primarily, how is that coming along? Can you save up for a cheap used weight set from craigslist or such? Barbell and weights minimally, rack and bench too ideally.

Dash27

Gvaz said:

What exercises are you doing in particular? Warming up for a squat for example my typical warm up would be:

2 x 5 with just the bar
1 x 5 with 40% of my work set
1 x 3 with 60% of my work set
1 x 2 with 80% of my work set

3 x 5 <<<< Work set

oxrock said:
I'd like to take this a step further and ask what the benefit is for warm up sets. I've personally never done them. I just stretch before working out and then get into my main lifting. I've never had any injuries as a result so I'm not really sure what the warm up is all about.

You want to establish your form with light weight before things get heavy, you want to get the blood flowing to the muscle groups being worked.

Sofo

Dash27 said:
This comes from nutrition primarily, how is that coming along? Can you save up for a cheap used weight set from craigslist or such? Barbell and weights minimally, rack and bench too ideally.
Well, I eat a lot, and very healthy Mediterranean food. Problem is I live with my parents, so I can't really bring in a gym with me.

I do eat until I'm very full (I'm a good eater) but I never seem to gain weight, and if I do, it's temporary. I also am a fan of milk, so generally have a big bowl in the morning, hopefully that helps.

I understand my setup isn't big, and won't allow for much progress (at least not in what I want to work on) so I'm not asking a miracle. I appreciate your fast response, thanks!

Dash27

Sofo said:
Well, I eat a lot, and very healthy Mediterranean food.

No problem and good luck to you. I'd just say the best approach for me was to track exactly what I ate for a few days to a week. I used www.fitday.com, but at least just write down every single thing you eat for a day or two. Figure out how many calories it is (roughly) and see if you're eating enough via this formula:

http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/

Calculate BMR with that, then

Harris Benedict Formula

To determine your total daily calorie needs, multiply your BMR by the appropriate activity factor, as follows:

1. If you are sedentary (little or no exercise) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.2
2. If you are lightly active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.375
3. If you are moderatetely active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.55
4. If you are very active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days a week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.725
5. If you are extra active (very hard exercise/sports & physical job or 2x training) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.9

So say your BMR is 1800 and you are "moderately active"
1800 x 1.55 = 2790 just to stay the same weight you are right now.

This will give you a rough idea of where you need to be

obijkenobi said:
X-Frame can probably give more info, but i think Stuart McGill said not to do back exercises soon after waking because while asleep the discs hydrate and there's a greater chance of rupture.

X-Frame

parrotbeak said:
X-Frame can probably give more info, but i think Stuart McGill said not to do back exercises soon after waking because while asleep the discs hydrate and there's a greater chance of rupture.
Yeah, I think it's widely accepted not to load your spine upon awakening. At the very least give yourself at least an hour before you do a loaded spinal exercise like deadlifts or squats.

So while it should be fine to do things like pull-ups, chest pressing, single leg work, etc I'd stay away from squats, deadlifts, and maybe even overhead pressing but that's just being super careful. No need if you're healthy.

Someone who is familiar with P90X can correct me but I don't think there's many spinal loading involved. Just make sure to warm up properly in the morning.

X-Frame said:
Yeah, I think it's widely accepted not to load your spine upon awakening. At the very least give yourself at least an hour before you do a loaded spinal exercise like deadlifts or squats.

So while it should be fine to do things like pull-ups, chest pressing, single leg work, etc I'd stay away from squats, deadlifts, and maybe even overhead pressing but that's just being super careful. No need if you're healthy.

Someone who is familiar with P90X can correct me but I don't think there's many spinal loading involved. Just make sure to warm up properly in the morning.

Really? I have never heard of that before. But then again, if I workout in the morning, I get to the gym around an hour+ after I wake up.

01%20cookies%20and%20creambrownie3D%20(2).jpg

BEST THING EVAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR

As soon as we get more in at Sports Authority, I end up buying 4-5 while my manager buys the entire box. Other associates get pissed when they're all gone. They're $3.25 each, and even with my 25% discount, it's still costly, but worth it.

Jason's Ultimatum said:
01%20cookies%20and%20creambrownie3D%20(2).jpg

BEST THING EVAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR

As soon as we get more in at Sports Authority, I end up buying 4-5 while my manager buys the entire box. Other associates get pissed when they're all gone. They're $3.25 each, and even with my 25% discount, it's still costly, but worth it.
How many calories in these? I eat the Clif builder bars which also have 20g of protein but quite a bit of saturated fat.

Gvaz

Banned
Jason's Ultimatum said:
340 calories. It says two servings, but there's only one in it, so I'm guessing it means splitting the brownie in half.
680 calories a bar and 40g of carbs and 20g of protein? No thanks

No as in the entire thing is 340 calories. There's only one in the package but it says two servings, so splitting the brownie would be 170 calories10g of protein each.

That's confusing. Usually the advertised number is per serving, like a 5 lb bag of protein will say 30g protein.

I think I'm going to try to make protein bars this weekend, since I'm getting sick of EAS and I bought a bunch when Sam's was phasing it out.

kehs

Banned
Jason's Ultimatum said:
No as in the entire thing is 340 calories. There's only one in the package but it says two servings, so splitting the brownie would be 170 calories10g of protein each.

Not how that works.

This might explain your poultry problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom