• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitocracy |OT| STR+6, CON+4, GUT-5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thought I'd go ahead and make a thread following the interest shown in a couple of different threads

What is it?

It's marketed as a 'game you play to improve your fitness'. You play by logging your workouts on the website (http://www.fitocracy.com/), gaining points for each activity that you log. You'll eventually earn enough points to level up, which often unlocks quests.

Quests? Quests are optional but are an easy way to gain additional points and they can also encourage you to try something that you possibly wouldn't normally do.

In addition to quests, achievements can also be unlocked. These aren't worth any points but are more like badges of honour for recognisable milestones eg Run 20 miles since joining the site, Bench pressing 0.9 your body weight etc etc

How do I join?

The site is currently in beta and so is invite only. I tweeted Fitocracy for some extra invites earlier and in a social media triumph, the co-founder emailed me and has set up an exclusive invite code for gaffers that automatically adds you to the gaf group when you sign up using this link: http://www.fitocracy.com/register/?invite_code=NEOGAF

What do I do once I've joined?

Obviously, the top answer is log your workouts but this being a social site there are plenty of groups to join. Groups are a great way of upping the competitive side as the group creators can set up challenges. The group leaderboards are also a great way to keep motivated.

Background

Fitocracy said:
As fitness geeks, Brian Wang and Richard Talens often talked about their experiences helping friends improve their fitness. They would often provide advice and guidance only to see their friends give up for a variety of reasons. Sometimes it’d be because they didn’t see progress quickly enough. Other times it’d be because they didn’t have others to work out with them. And many times it’d be because working out was just... well, work.

So in August 2010, Richard got the idea: what if fitness could be turned into a game? After all, both he and Brian understood how addictive it could be trying to get to that next level, beating that next boss, and completing that next quest (not that they spent their childhoods doing that or anything...) They also realized that the addiction games create was the exact same addiction that drives their fitness weights every day.

And so Fitocracy was born. Fitocracy’s mission is to make fitness a more fun, more addictive experience. Play Fitocracy to beat challenges, push your boundaries, and show your friends who’s boss. Get addicted to your fitness.

EDIT: Fuck, pressed submit instead of preview. I think this'll do for now though, get joining and get acquainted with the site! Forgive the lameness, my first OT.

EDIT 2: For those of you having trouble finding P90X exercises, this thread should prove helpful.

If you can't find an exercise, report it in their forum here.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Eh, there's a bunch of things missing on it but ti's got a decent set of "at home" workouts on there.

It's not a bad thing for a beta, but I doubt I'll keep up with it, hence why I haven't joined any groups and really wish you could leave the "starter group" way before "level 7."

TheSeks said:
Eh, there's a bunch of things missing on it but ti's got a decent set of "at home" workouts on there.

It's not a bad thing for a beta, but I doubt I'll keep up with it, hence why I haven't joined any groups and really wish you could leave the "starter group" way before "level 7."

The first seven levels fly by if you work out and log them regularly. I think you can suggest exercises on their forum if you notice any missing.

Askani

I joined. I lost my motivation in February after I hurt myself and haven't been back to the gym yet. Also, my bad eating habits are coming back. I've put 20 pounds of the 55 I lost back on. Hopefully this will help get me motivated because I seriously need it.

Gvaz said:
Good thing I made that GAF group!

It was indeed. Have you thought about setting up any challenges for the group yet? Do you know how?

Hopefully the gaf numbers will increase even more. I was impressed to get an email from the co-founder setting up an exclusive code.

I think I'm easily pleased.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Finally a proper thread. Oh, and no need for people to invite request spam, nice work!

Im_Special

Just gave this a try.... yeah but no, it seems incredibly pointless, and tedious, just entering in one workout was a chore, oh and this is coming from someone who has been working out heavy since 17 (8 years now) 4-5 times a week, and has only ever missed a handful of workouts in those 8 years, maybe less then 5 total, so I am very dedicated to bodybuilding and have been keeping personal logs of routines and diets since the beginning. But this just isn't for me I guess. Oh and I love RPG's lol.

mcrae

J Tourettes said:
It was indeed. Have you thought about setting up any challenges for the group yet? Do you know how?

Hopefully the gaf numbers will increase even more. I was impressed to get an email from the co-founder setting up an exclusive code.

he approached you, or you approached him?

Gvaz

Banned
I'm the inverse, I'll go out of my way to try and get hte most points lol

J Tourettes said:

Yes I know how, but i'd rather you all come up with something and I'll implement it. I haven't got a very good imagination

Im_Special said:
Just gave this a try.... yeah but no, it seems incredibly pointless, and tedious, just entering in one workout was a chore, oh and this is coming from someone who has been working out heavy since 17 (8 years now) 4-5 times a week, and has only ever missed a handful of workouts in those 8 years, maybe less then 5 total, so I am very dedicated to bodybuilding and have been keeping personal logs of routines and diets since the beginning. But this just isn't for me I guess. Oh and I love RPG's lol.

I don't think it's for everyone. If you have set routines, you can save them and then change the weight each time, much quicker than searching for the different exercises.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Great, I just signed up.
My workouts will probably be lighter since I only have dumbbells and am on keto right now.

Really surprised at how many workout types are listed, had to search a lot more than I thought I would for my simple ones.

mcrae said:
he approached you, or you approached him?

I tweeted fitocracy asking for more invites and then Dick Talens tweeted me back and told me to email him. I emailed him my details, said the invites were for gaf and he replied within about 5 minutes.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Right now I'm taking some time off from Brazilian Jiu Jitsu to remember what it feels like to not hurt all over every day ;b. Just doing trail biking and using my building's minimal fitness center to do some basic DB lifting. Had a power rack and olympic barbell set but had to give it all up when I moved last month.

6'3, 193 lbs as of today. Down from 300 lbs in the summer of '09. Fitocracy isn't really a motivator or anything, just a nice little way to keep track of my workouts and get a mental bump from the operant conditioning of OMG LEVEL UP.

W1SSY

I joined a couple days ago when someone posted to the front page and other then my first workout I haven't been able to post to. This will hopefully allow me to keep better track of what I have been doing. For a beginner trying to find all of the stuff that I do in the gym is a challenge but once I get my routine setup I can just adjust that as I go.

Davedough

EviLore said:
Right now I'm taking some time off from Brazilian Jiu Jitsu to remember what it feels like to not hurt all over every day ;b. Just doing trail biking and using my building's minimal fitness center to do some basic DB lifting. Had a power rack and olympic barbell set but had to give it all up when I moved last month.

6'3, 193 lbs as of today. Down from 300 lbs in the summer of '09. Fitocracy isn't really a motivator or anything, just a nice little way to keep track of my workouts and get a mental bump from the operant conditioning of OMG LEVEL UP.

Wow man, I knew you'd trimmed down, but haven't really followed your quest to do so. Thats fantastic!

Im_Special

J Tourettes said:
I don't think it's for everyone. If you have set routines, you can save them and then change the weight each time, much quicker than searching for the different exercises.

I used to go by routines way back when, and followed it exactly to the T, then switching it up to another routine every so often, but that gets oh boring so quickly. Now I just go in and play it by ear, no two workouts are ever the same and can never go back to routines again. So entering unique workouts every time is tedious, I also utilize a lot of different kinds of superset's and other methods to shock the muscles, which seems to be a big weak point of that site, unless I put everything in notes.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
I joined.

I get a CoD-esque guitar riff every time I level up right?

I'm not expecting this to actually motivate me, but I'll check it out.

Gvaz said:
I'm the inverse, I'll go out of my way to try and get hte most points lol

Yes I know how, but i'd rather you all come up with something and I'll implement it. I haven't got a very good imagination
What kind of challenges can you have? I was under the impression that they were all point based. Can you restrict to certain exercises/routines as well?

turnbuckle

EviLore said:

Holy shit, nice work man

Gvaz

Banned
J Tourettes said:
What kind of challenges can you have? I was under the impression that they were all point based. Can you restrict to certain exercises/routines as well?
I think just one that gains the most points in the shortest amount of time wins.

X-Frame

I'm going to check it out once again.

I stopped a couple months ago because half of the exercises I do all the time weren't in there and I didn't like the idea of just picking similar replacements.

I submitted them all to be added so we'll see.

Gvaz

Banned
Granted I'm only on a starting strength program, what exactly are you doing that you can't find? Sex isn't list-able in here you know :p

balddemon

Banned
I got invites if someone wants to join.

----

The only thing that bugs me about this is that I rarely remember what I did today. I do so much different stuff in no particular order that it's hard for me to recall each exercise. I should write it down, but I move to quick and stopping for anything but water throws me off completely.

X-Frame

Gvaz said:
Granted I'm only on a starting strength program, what exactly are you doing that you can't find? Sex isn't list-able in here you know :p

IIRC, I couldn't find things like:

Inverted Rows
Rear-Foot Elevated (Bulgarian) Split-Squats
Side Planks
Single-Leg Hip Thrusts
Chest-Supported Rows
Push-Up variations, and more.

I'm sure most of those have been added though.

balddemon said:
I got invites if someone wants to join.

----

The only thing that bugs me about this is that I rarely remember what I did today. I do so much different stuff in no particular order that it's hard for me to recall each exercise. I should write it down, but I move to quick and stopping for anything but water throws me off completely.
I just take notes on my phone, which I use for my workout music anyway. Fitocracy also recently added a mobile friendly version of the site so I suppose I could just do that instead, lol.

Gvaz

Banned
X-Frame said:
IIRC, I couldn't find things like:

Inverted Rows
Rear-Foot Elevated (Bulgarian) Split-Squats
Side Planks
Single-Leg Hip Thrusts
Chest-Supported Rows

Push-Up variations, and more.

I'm sure most of those have been added though.

Only the bolded hasn't been added from what I can tell. There's a barbel hip thrust but...a quick youtube of that hip thrust yielded some rather amusing looking result I think...

Miletius

Hopefully this isn't too hard to use. I found a Saint Louis group and joined but there's only like 7 members there.

blackflag

I joined but it seems like it is missing most of the exercises I do. Like yesterday I did Dumbbell Shrugs, Reverse Fly, Dumbbell Shoulder Press, Upright Rows. I think I only found one of those on there.

Red

blackflag said:
I joined but it seems like it is missing most of the exercises I do. Like yesterday I did Dumbbell Shrugs, Reverse Fly, Dumbbell Shoulder Press, Upright Rows. I think I only found one of those on there.
Yeah, I'm having the same problem. It only has basic stuff.

sangreal

AbsoluteZero said:
Was gonna sign up, btu I have no clue of my current weight, so I'll likely get back to this when I get home.

You don't have to enter your starting weight when you sign up

just joined, feel like I'm going to have the same problem as others (missing various exercises) but I'm down to try it out. seems interesting.

Just joined...I work out pretty much every day, not sure that I'll keep up with this though. We will see. Thanks for putting it out there though OP.

kylej

Banned
Phantast2k said:
Man, the activity logging is way too tedious :/

Er, it takes like 1 minute to do.

blackflag said:

It has all of those...

sangreal

blackflag said:

er, it has every single one of those

When you search for Dumbbell it seems to leave off a bunch. Just search for shrugs/shoulder press/rows etc

LuchaShaq

Banned
Really liking the site so far but some of the values are confusing.

Why would 100 body weight calf raises I did bored at work count 8 times more than a slowish mile walk with my dog I took when I couldn't sleep this morning.

Gvaz

Banned
LuchaShaq said:
Really liking the site so far but some of the values are confusing.

Why would 100 body weight calf raises I did bored at work count 8 times more than a slowish mile walk with my dog I took when I couldn't sleep this morning.
It's higher intensity.

Also the search isn't perfect, they might not call things the same thing you do (such as I say Incline, but the site says Decline, same thing)

Red

Gvaz said:
It's higher intensity.

Also the search isn't perfect, they might not call things the same thing you do (such as I say Incline, but the site says Decline, same thing)
Those are opposite things.

Has anybody found drag curls or Yates row?

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
Its got pretty much everything I do, or something near similar enough. If it doesn't have anything remotely close I just skip adding it.

Last few days have sucked for me. Haven't been able to walk the dog since its been de-sexed and isn't allowed to do much exercise and been raining when I need to get to gym so gotta drive...... :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom