• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitocracy |OT| STR+6, CON+4, GUT-5

Status
Not open for further replies.

frico

I don't know their business model but I do know the common model for startups now is to build something cool, get users, reach a critical mass and then figure out ways to monetize it. As it stands they are gathering useful data on working out. I can think of some ways they can monetize it.

frico said:
I don't know their business model but I do know the common model for startups now is to build something cool, get users, reach a critical mass and then figure out ways to monetize it. As it stands they are gathering useful data on working out. I can think of some ways they can monetize it.

Or sell it while it is still at an inflated price.

nickcv

frico said:

you need a lot of money in your treasure chest to maintain servers until you reach the critical mass point...

i just hope they won't stab us in the back

bluemax

Banned
Is there a way to track the Insanity work out with this? I'm starting Insanity up for a second time soon and I'd love to track it on here.

Subitai

So, I'm not sure where the best place to post this at Fitocracy is, but if you don't belong to a gym and were interested in joining, Planet Fitness has a $29 down $10 a month offer until Oct. 31 at many places. It is a good deal if you know you'll be in the area for a while. If you're not sure, be ready to pay a $59 exit fee. $10 is the best you're gonna do, and it might go back up to $20 a month soon.

Does anyone stationary bike while they game? I'd be interested in how much your set up was.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Used to be a heavy bodybuilder..and then had a family. Getting back into it so will try out this site along with it.

Gvaz

Banned
Subitai said:
So, I'm not sure where the best place to post this at Fitocracy is, but if you don't belong to a gym and were interested in joining, Planet Fitness has a $29 down $10 a month offer until Oct. 31 at many places. It is a good deal if you know you'll be in the area for a while. If you're not sure, be ready to pay a $59 exit fee. $10 is the best you're gonna do, and it might go back up to $20 a month soon.

Does anyone stationary bike while they game? I'd be interested in how much your set up was.
planet-fitness-only-20-dollars-a-month-for-pizza.jpg

lunk-alarm.jpg

Planet Fitness is terrible, please don't go there.

soultron

Banned
Between getting a job at my gym and having access to Fitocracy, I see myself getting jacked in a few months' time. Awesome!

nickcv

wow, just 20$ a month for a gym?

here i get to pay 50€ a month ($ 68.95)
and is not even the most expensive gym in town v.v

Added my workouts from Saturday to today. Now on 7800+ points. The amount of points for competitive games seems too low - I certainly feel as tired after a game of lacross or hockey as I do after a 10k row but the points are massively less.

Are there weekly/daily/monthly leaderboards too?

nickcv

Meatpuppet said:
Added my workouts from Saturday to today. Now on 7800+ points. The amount of points for competitive games seems too low - I certainly feel as tired after a game of lacross or hockey as I do after a 10k row but the points are massively less.

Are there weekly/daily/monthly leaderboards too?

there is a time filter for the leaderboard, but no filter in the groups leaderboards... they should totally re think most of the usability of the website i think... no interaction designer in his own right mind would say that the website is coherent, well done, and user friendly.

besides that i love it.

Danielsan

Just joined. Went for an 8km run (40 minutes flat) this morning. Entered said run and immediately dinged to level 4. Now to explore the site further.

nubbe said:
This site is going to destroy me.
It drives me to do thing I don't normally do... need more points...

It's going to encourage me to start running again a lot earlier than I was planning, only short distances though (10k or less).

Oh god rest days are now even more annoying. I need experience dammit!!! Maybe I can afford 30 mins of basketball practice later.....

Spacebar

While logging my weight lifting last night I noticed some things that could improve the site. they really need videos and pictures of each exercise. A written description takes to long to read if you're not sure if it's the exercise you did. Hopefully they will add that in the future.

I have an iphone app called "full fitness". It lists tons of exercises for each body part along with pictures and videos on how to do them.

Well after putting in a few workouts I think this might not be for me yet. It's a little too onerous to put stuff in and modify old workouts, the routine feature isn't quite where it needs to be and I'm not into social media. It's not really offering me anything over my spreadsheet at this point.

It's a neat idea though, and I'll probably check it out again when it's out of beta.

Nista

I signed up. Not sure what I'm going to do for exercise now that weather is getting colder and there's no street hockey or frisbee games, and it's dark by the time I get home from work.

MjFrancis

I've been paying more attention to Fitocracy lately, curious as to where they will go with it. I'm a cranky old curmudgeon and will hold on to my pen and paper training logs for many years to come, but maybe, just maybe I'll join one day. No sense in writing shit down twice over.

Do they have options for hiking or hill sprints? Distance, grade, time, etc, etc. Those are about the only extracurricular training activities I do. That and about twenty minutes on the punching bag every so often.

MjFrancis said:
I've been paying more attention to Fitocracy lately, curious as to where they will go with it. I'm a cranky old curmudgeon and will hold on to my pen and paper training logs for many years to come, but maybe, just maybe I'll join one day. No sense in writing shit down twice over.

Do they have options for hiking or hill sprints? Distance, grade, time, etc, etc. Those are about the only extracurricular training activities I do. That and about twenty minutes on the punching bag every so often.

On running exercises you can choose trail running or normal, terrain, pace etc etc.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Well I signed up a couple days ago but did not get around to using it til' today, did some basics because I had been sick for about two weeks and didn't get much exercise in during that time. I can definitely say I can see myself using this thing very often, just seeing the progress bar go up makes me want to keep going. I only had one issue, it wouldn't let me log two different bicep curls. Something about not entering a different set for each arm, when what I had done was the same set for each arm at 20 lbs and then 15 lbs, wouldn't let me log the 15 lbs.

Really didn't want to go to the gym today because I stayed up late programming. Only had 4 hours of sleep and wanted a nap. Went anyway and didn't even level up. :(

Gvaz

Banned
Plywood said:
Well I signed up a couple days ago but did not get around to using it til' today, did some basics because I had been sick for about two weeks and didn't get much exercise in during that time. I can definitely say I can see myself using this thing very often, just seeing the progress bar go up makes me want to keep going. I only had one issue, it wouldn't let me log two different bicep curls. Something about not entering a different set for each arm, when what I had done was the same set for each arm at 20 lbs and then 15 lbs, wouldn't let me log the 15 lbs.
Why couldn't you just add a set at a different weight and call it good?

Slo

The main thing that I don't like about it so far is that you can't really represent circuit training/crossfit type workouts very well. You can only count and record the reps.

P.S. my fitocracy name is nramaker

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Gvaz said:
Why couldn't you just add a set at a different weight and call it good?
That's what I did, unless there's another way or I'm misreading:

vnDg8.png

Btw, does anyone know how well this logs Cardio?

Gvaz

Banned
Plywood said:
That's what I did, unless there's another way or I'm misreading:

vnDg8.png

Btw, does anyone know how well this logs Cardio?
Depends on what kind, there's different options available and usually it's just timexdistance

Clott

Are people using this as a way to track their own progress? Or to compare their numbers to others? The latter bein pointless since this is based on the honor system.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Clott said:
Are people using this as a way to track their own progress? Or to compare their numbers to others? The latter bein pointless since this is based on the honor system.
Track my own progress and I can see myself using it as means to push myself a bit further.

Slo

Seems like the only real point is to give yourself a meaningless carrot on a stick, and to let other people give you props for your workout.

Slo said:
Seems like the only real point is to give yourself a meaningless carrot on a stick, and to let other people give you props for your workout.
If that motivates you to get/stay fit, then yes, that's the point.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Slo said:

Ensures I log my workouts and keeps me honest, which helps me stay consistently active. Also there are milestones to work toward with the achievements and so forth.

Polk

Clott said:
Well, right now there aren't any systems to track progress (apart from history and top effort).
Ok, there are some achievements/quests I guess, but that's it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom