• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT3| BroScience, Protein Dysentery, XXL Calf Implants, and Squat Rack Hogs

Status
Not open for further replies.

kehs

Banned
Jason's Ultimatum said:
So then why does it fucking say two servings when there's only one? 10g of protein on the nutrition label when on the front it says 20g of protein?

One serving is half of the package, if there are two servings per package.

The nutrition label applies to one serving.

edit: we're saying the same thing. My bad.

MjFrancis

parrotbeak said:
I think I'm going to try to make protein bars this weekend, since I'm getting sick of EAS and I bought a bunch when Sam's was phasing it out.
Always a good thing in my book. That way you can put whatever you want in them and change it up when you feel like it.

I'd gotten sloppy and I wasn't making them all summer, but my wife just made up a whole batch for me this weekend. A little heavy on the oats, but they're just fine that way.

ZonePerfect is good. So is Tiger's Milk, but ZP has more protein per bar so I usually buy that.

I just bought Premier and it taste like ass. I'm halfway through the box and getting used to it but I still don't like it. Pure Protein is also shitty.

Jason's Ultimatum said:
That's what I said when I said splitting it up. I just confused everyone with my wording, that's all.

It's like when they put 1 serving of a snickers is so many calories but a whole snickers bar is actually two servings. Cmon bro.

Enco said:
What's everyone's favorite bar?

I've tried two or three types and they all tasted disgusting.

F protein bars, hadn't had these since I was a kid but they are surprisingly decent:

http://fatsecret.com/calories-nutrition/frigo/light-cheese-heads-string-cheese-sticks

60 calories
8g protein
.5 carbs

Rur0ni said:
Every day I'm just looking forward to lifting. It's my drug.

I wonder if you're in the minority with this kind of mentality. I fucking hate working out. I'd rather play sports or do some kind of outdoor activity then work out.

Then again I must continue to work out because the ladies and gays love my sexy body.

Working out is my drug also. I feel a physical need to work out. I just feel shitty if I don't, both in mind and body. Working out just gets all the stress and bullshit out and I feel awesome after.

Ya, true. I'd rather hike or go to the beach than the gym, but that's not as easy to do right after work. I've always sucked at team sports. I'm still not really sure what lacrosse is.

Rur0ni said:
Every day I'm just looking forward to lifting. It's my drug.

parrotbeak said:
Working out is my drug also. I feel a physical need to work out. I just feel shitty if I don't, both in mind and body. Working out just gets all the stress and bullshit out and I feel awesome after.

Yep, I'm the same way. I feel like shit if I don't at least get a run in or something. Sucks I can't go lifting tonight.. Love the feeling during and after.

Gvaz

Banned
Wtf this chicken I got is 110 cals, 0 carbs and 27g of protein for like 4oz of meat

I thought chicken was high carb. I guess I'm eating chicken all ding dong day then

I used to hate lifting but I think it's more because I just hate leaving the house and lift only for everyone around to be on two and three plate and I'm just edging up to 1plate usage on deadlifts after like 3 months (miss some days here and there, instead doing 3x a week I'd do 2x)

I haven't really been pushing hard, mostly taking it slow.

Gvaz

Banned
I might have had it backwards with beef. I remember reading it a while back and I never thought to look it up when I'd buy chicken so I'd save it for eating after my workout
emot-kiddo.gif

Gvaz said:
Wtf this chicken I got is 110 cals, 0 carbs and 27g of protein for like 4oz of meat

I thought chicken was high carb. I guess I'm eating chicken all ding dong day then
Meat is protein and fat as far as macros go. Carbs are usually from plant sources. The only animal source of protein I can think of that has any carbs is egg and that has very little (1g for 12g protein).

Gvaz said:
I might have had it backwards with beef. I remember reading it a while back and I never thought to look it up when I'd buy chicken so I'd save it for eating after my workout
emot-kiddo.gif
Not unless it's breaded or mixed with bread crumbs for meatloaf or otherwise prepared with carbs.

Enco

Well, my workouts at the gym are done for god knows how long. Whatever exercise I do at the gym my elbows end up too tender and sore. Can't afford to go to the doctor, too. I stopped doing arms months ago, and nothing has improved.

MjFrancis

Ouch, that's too bad. If your elbows are so sore that you have to abstain from all lifting then something is most incredibly wrong. I wonder if it's a tendon issue, with either tendonitis or tendonosis causing your problems. Or maybe a ligament issue. Either way, it's not an easy or short recovery, even if you were to receive the care and supervision of a doctor.

I hope you find out what the issue is and are able to resolve it. Once that happens, maybe something like bodyweight calisthenics are more in order; something that won't aggravate your joints so much.

Like I've said for months now in this thread, it's the small round bone next to the elbows. My left isn't as bad as my right. Could be tendonitis.

Gonna have to think about what I'm going to do about the gym now. I just re-upped my membership last week. I may either freeze my account and see if it heals by icing it daily or just cancel and start thinking about other exercises to do like, biking, swimming, rowing, indoor rock climbing to stay in shape. I'd lose muscle, too, which I would REALLY hate.

MjFrancis

Is it a bone from your forearm? Not that I'd make a diagnosis at all, just curious.

I'm a wimp when it comes to pain. I backed off of pull-ups when I got the slightest hint of elbow pain a few months back. It's pure broscience, but I felt I gave my tendons and ligaments enough time to adjust to my workload by backing off. I'm still doing them in the hundreds every week, but the overall volume sees a dip every four to six weeks. The Convict Conditioning books have their share of broscience on tendon and ligament health, but anecdotally I see it play out often enough to make me take heed. I don't know what's up with your elbow Jason's Ultimatum but I hope you get better soon.

Seems like this is my first response to everything lately but have you tried doing myofascial release on your tricep? Something I've been neglecting to do for a month or so and I noticed my tris are getting tight. I've never had elbow pain but I'd think just like knee pain, loosening up the connecting muscles and tendons could only help.

Good KStarr mwod demo on triceps this morning: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGpDgLRNjsA

Seems to be the medial epicondyle of the humerus

Elbow.jpg

See the round part of the picture with the numbers in green 10,7, etc? That's the bone that's visible you can see when you bend your arm.

GiJoccin

it could be tendonitis of a tendon that attaches at the medial epicondyle... might not be a bad idea to rest it for a bit. is it a constant pain or is it present when you stretch in a certain direction or apply force with your arm?

IceCold

parrotbeak said:

Same. But with school, it's hard to go to the gym as often as a want. I haven't gone since last Thursday... This semester is kicking my ass, but I'm going tonight. Otherwise I'm gonna go crazy.

GiJoccin said:
it could be tendonitis of a tendon that attaches at the medial epicondyle... might not be a bad idea to rest it for a bit. is it a constant pain or is it present when you stretch in a certain direction or apply force with your arm?

It's constant throughout the day, but they don't hurt as much when I'm working out. Sometimes when I wake up in the mornings they feel more sore and tender than usual.

I'll stop working out for a few weeks, ice it, and see what happens.

Munin

Would it be detrimental to my gains if I go for some light swimming on my rest days, 45 mins or so? I am paranoid about losing any progress since I am still a beginner and a hard gainer too.

Ok, I have a question/request for opinions:

I was used to run almost every day and lift weights at home for the past 2/3 years. I was 120kg and successfully lowered myself to 93kg while trying to gain some muscle at the same time.

Whilst it sure has worked (mind you, I'm 1,94m tall so that's a good weight for me) now I'm faced with a problem: lack of time.

I recently got back into studies again, while still working, so basically I get out to work at around 8:30a.m. and return only at 11:40p.m.

Any advice to continue building muscle or at least not turning fat again. Not that I eat the garbage I used too back in the days, but still think I could benefict with a bit of muscle gain.

Units conversion:

93kg = 205pounds
1,94m = 6.3ft

MjFrancis

Munin said:
Would it be detrimental to my gains if I go for some light swimming on my rest days, 45 mins or so? I am paranoid about losing any progress since I am still a beginner and a hard gainer too.
If you continue eating in a caloric surplus above your BMR you should be fine. Perhaps a single day of total rest if you want to make sure it's not affecting your recovery from your strength training. I'd wager that some light swimming won't hurt anything, though.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Hey what type of scales do you guys have at home and prefer? Digital or the regular dial? Looking to buy a new one and not sure which to get. It would be for the bathroom.

deadbeef

Tashi0106 said:
Hey what type of scales do you guys have at home and prefer? Digital or the regular dial? Looking to buy a new one and not sure which to get. It would be for the bathroom.
I use digital but it really doesn't matter as long as it's consistent/calibrated and you always use the same one

TheFatOne

So far I have lost 25lbs just weight lifting, walking, and eating better. I would like to add more cardio to my workouts. I'm an out of shape fat guy so where should I start gaf? I started doing some tabata workouts using body weight exercises, but I'm not sure what else I should add.

mooooose

I can't get Bent Over Rows or Deadlifts right. I always end up curving my back. Even without weight and just practicing form.

Helpppppp.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
mooooose said:
I can't get Bent Over Rows or Deadlifts right. I always end up curving my back. Even without weight and just practicing form.

Helpppppp.
Make sure your shins are vertical at all times and put your weight on your heels. It will make you push your butt back, which in turn will help you keep your back straight.

--------------------------------------

Anyhow, my damn left hip is still sore/tender when doing squats. The soreness is right where my leg and my torso meet (hip joint, I guess) on the front of my body. I'm not sure if it's the IT band since I don't feel it when running (even doing 1/4 mile runs at 10MPH) or doing box-jumps.

It's really at the bottom of the movement when going up. I have even taken several 3-4 day breaks to see if it gets better, and it has to some extent but the soreness is still there. I have done foamrolling before and after workouts and that helps loosen it a bit.

mooooose said:

Helpppppp.
What reilo said. Also make sure to reset after each rep. Weight should rest on ground and you reset your position before the next rep. If flexibility is the issue you can do rack pulls until you get flexible enough to pull from the ground. Doing dls will help with hip and ham flexibility, so it'll get easier after a while.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
BSN Lean Dessert is pretty tasty. Picked some up for $20 since I ran out of protein........ few hundred dollars worth of shit coming early next week though.

MjFrancis

Squatting every set without a belt and hamstrings to calves has been a humbling experience. Six weeks of doing seventy-five working reps a week. With how difficult this was I can't imagine the intensity of doing the Smolov program as deadbeef did.

Also I've learned that while there's a great deal of carryover from weighted squats to pistol squats, the reverse isn't applicable. I suspected as much on paper but going through it was a different beast entirely.

My sternum and upper back are really aching, can't say I've had this before. Did squats, bench, deadlifts and pull ups on Wednesday which seem to have bought it on.

Very strange, doesn't feel like a workout ache, more like it's my bones. Not sure what it is, any ideas? I'm supposed to be doing squats, ohp, powercleans and chins tonight, sure I'll soon find out if I'm up to it.

I'm going to buy an elbow brace from my work tommorrow and do some stretches and DB wrist curls that I read is good to heal my elbow pain. I'll also try Parrotbeak's exercise, too.

And I'm going to workout still. Fuck this.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I think my left elbow keeps coming out of socket and resetting itself, that or it's just making super loud semi painful pops throughout the day (really fucking loud). Yesterday it happened 3 times. I think I'll be taking this week off for triceps, lol.

I'm wondering what may be causing this. My triceps have gotten pretty massive and I don't do bicep work since they seem to get enough from doing back, perhaps I need to start working biceps to even things out now?

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
deadbeef said:
Elbows are dropping like flies in this thread

I think it's fine, it's not constant pain, just 3 times yesterday with that loud ass pop and sharp immediate pain (that immediately went away) had me concerned. It's the same elbow that came out of socket multiple times when I was a child.

MjFrancis said:
Always a good thing in my book. That way you can put whatever you want in them and change it up when you feel like it.

I'd gotten sloppy and I wasn't making them all summer, but my wife just made up a whole batch for me this weekend. A little heavy on the oats, but they're just fine that way.
Are you still using this recipe?

MjFrancis

Yup, though when my wife makes them she doesn't ground the oats, she just mixes them in. Actually I like the way she puts them together more than how I did it.

Have you tried making them yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom