• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT5| Intermittent Farting, Wrist Curls and Hammer Strength Machine Spotters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would be way funnier than the traditional wall of shame.

Your form is probably fucked up.

Maybe the weight is too heavy and you're straining trying to keep your back straight.
Maybe you have the bar in the wrong spot or your traps aren't squeezed enough to make a good shelf.
Maybe you're craning your neck up at the ceiling instead of straight ahead/slightly up (like 10-20 degrees).

Drop the weight a bit and watch "So you think you can squat"

All of these suggestions sounds like possibilities in my experience.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Fit-GAF is extremely narrowly focused in practice, on powerlifting and bodybuilding. Should probably get a rename for the next iteration.

_Isaac

Did you feel better after? I know yoga is always tough for me during the class but afterwards, I feel so loose and relaxed, totally worth it. I think flexibility is one thing lifters really toss to the side.

Not at all. I feel awful right now. My lower back hurts like hell, and it's not the cool soreness type of pain.

entremet

I listened to Layne's podcast about this. They did some tests and the other guy on the podcast had his test levels and all his other hormones checked at the end of contest prep and they were whacked out seriously bad. No libido for his wife, ed, low testosterone, etc.
That's the reason I don't get natural bodybuilding. I'm not fucking up my libido to pose in a speedo.

Ripclawe

Banned

Petrie

Banned
Fit-GAF is extremely narrowly focused in practice, on powerlifting and bodybuilding. Should probably get a rename for the next iteration.

I dunno about that so much as those things being what tends to merit more discussion. I'm not sure why this is, but I never feel the need to do much discussion of running and other activities.

entremet

I dunno about that so much as those things being what tends to merit more discussion. I'm not sure why this is, but I never feel the need to do much discussion of running and other activities.

There is a Running OT already. They're also a Beachbody OT for those that are a fan of those programs as well.

I would call it Strength/StrongGAF OT--Weighlifting, Bodybuilding, Strength Sports.

CuttingGAF I have questions! In other news, I am interested in cutting! What's the deal? Keto looks like something easy for me since I am not that much into carbs, but I need a plan or else I will fall off the wagon. When I started going to the gym 10 weeks ago my stats were Weight: 192# @20%ish bf and right now I'm 200#@20%ish.

I want to get down to 11% in about 16 weeks possible without cutting that much muscle. I've been reading This one link and it's very interesting. So doing the math, it seems right now I have:

Total Weight: 200#
Lean Body Mass: 155#
Fat: 35# fat
Glycogen: 5# give or take

So doing the math, ideally I would have to get to:
Total Weight: 175#
Lean Body Mass: 155#
Fat: 20#
Glycogen: 5#

Assuming 5# muscle loss, and glycogen depletion, a more realistic approach would be:
Total Weight: 169#
Lean Body Mass: 150#
Fat: 18.5#
Glycogen: 0#

That would mean a total weight loss of 31#!! 1#/week means 31 weeks! 7 months! That's February. I'm OK with that.
How are my Macros going to be under Keto? and What's my caloric intake going to be?
EDIT: Solved, according to this calculator with an Actvity Factor: 1.55

Maintenance 3,000 cal
Brotein: 155g (67g brotein scoop + 412g of high brotein food)
Carbs: 40g
Fat: 245g (12 brotein scoop + 232 food)
1#/week loss 2,500 cal
Brotein: 155g (67g brotein scoop + 412g of high brotein food)
Carbs: 40g
Fat: 177g (12 brotein scoop + 177 food)

Does this seem right? Also, In order to maintain muscle, I should continue lifting, What's the deal with carb loading? How does Glycogen depletion work? Do I need it?

despire

Fitness |OT6| Come Look At Our Cooter

This has my vote.

Also should we have 1 more post in the OP for transformation pics and such? We now have 5 posts in total so that would mean six. Or if there's room in the fifth post, we can put the pics there as well.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Thanks, I found this video of his extremely informative (thoracic mobility):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6cuNQ23dJI

Tape together two tennis balls for a mini roller for your back, which I think I could make use of.

Ha, I spent my yesterday's PT session in doing all these moves to improve my mobility. The benefits for squat form are immediate, I will keep doing them now weekly. The foam roller under lower back one makes a grown man weep!

sphinx

the piano man

Weightlifting OT?

There is a Running OT already. They're also a Beachbody OT for those that are a fan of those programs as well.

I would call it Strength/StrongGAF OT--Weighlifting, Bodybuilding, Strength Sports.

I think this is an important matter because I agree, the word fitness in the title is a bit misleading. One would believe this is a very inclusive community but the truth is that it's quite narrow, just like evilore said. We mostly care for very specific parts of the fitness world. Even if we occasionally talk about cardio or street workout/calisthenics etc, everybody's main point of connection here is the barbell, I believe.

I'd leave the word bodybuilding out of title, very few fitgaffers have potential or are following a path that would make them viable for a real bodybuilding development. I'd feel trolled if somebody told me "oh! you are bodybuilder! good for you" :p

Strength/Weightlifting would be my first choice of words as they properly describe what this thread is about.

the OP should (could?) include a better description of a "first-time at the gym" or "My ABC of strength and weightlifting" written in such a way that a toddler in kinder garden would understand.

Sorry, I insist, the current OP overestimates the newcomer massively. the OP pretends that after a quick read, people will proceed to execute the main compounds in progressive succession (+ pullups/dips/BoR/etc.) and feel badass using the barbell right away. The contents of the OP comes from the keyboard of an experienced lifter and it shows, everything is obvious and clear for him but is out of touch with those who have never set foot in a gym. The first thing would be to link to videos or gifs the first time the exercises are mentioned. OP assumes everybody knows what a deadlift looks like or a squat...it doesn't work that way.

just some ideas...

Seconding that, I think "Weightlifting" would be an apt thread title for the next iteration of this thread.

Here's a suggested OP taking what Sphinx said into an account, to make it more accessible to beginners, because when you think about it - it's them who the OP is targeted at (the experienced lifters might check out a couple of links, but most of that should already be known):

Post 1 - Introduction

The first post in the thread need to be super simplified imho, there's just way too much information. You shouldn't go into a compound vs isolation comparison as the beginner isn't meant to create a program by themselves anyway, and should stick to one of the suggested beginner's programs - which do all have plenty of compounds. Same goes with sets & reps explanation, which is not necessery for the beginner who already have sets&reps supplied to him - I have a feeling that a lot of beginners read the OP, all of it, and then try to apply their new found knowledge and switch up the programs.

That's why that information should go into post 3 imho.

What is weightlifting?
-Run down of weightlifting, it's benefits, what it doesn't do - just a quick introduction and bait to lure in beginners. Disclaimer saying that people are responsible for their own well being, and that they should check in with a physician before starting any new forms of exercise.
Testimonials with before&after pics
-Before pics will be mandatory, as seeing just a bunch of muscular dudes might intimidate some :p
But if they can see how much people have progressed, they get a sense of how they too can accomplish a similar transformation.
Equipment
-Barbell, etc
What program to pick
-Selection of beginner's programs (Starting strength, Alternate Full body, Body split, as well as links to others such as Westside for skinny bastards).
Help request form
Very general advice
-Just useful stuff to know, but also link people to post 3, which has in-depth explanations of all the movements in the beginner's programs (and gifs), and all sorts of extra information such as setes&reps, compunds vs isolation, etc.

Post 2 - Nutrition

Calculator's
-Straight on top, and I would honestly get rid of the manual calculations bit - they're not really relevant now that we have calculators that can calculate it for us.
Macros
-Info about carbs, fat, protein, general, and a suggested macro split.
Bulking
-Info about builking to ensure you're bulking in mostly muscle, and not fat (lead into calculator back up there)
Cutting
-Same as above
Supplements
-Nuff said.
Specialized diets
-This is where keto, intermittent farting, and all that stuff goes. Just a short paragraph explaining each one, with a link to a more detailed explanation.

Post 3 - In-depth weight lifting

Exercise descriptions
-Make this simple, just a gif of each exercise, an accompanying paragraph, and a link to a more in-depth description article. This should be the first thing people see when seeing this post, to ensure that beginner's fully pay attention to this over the other in-depth stuff (that's not strictly relevant to them, but useful for intermediate vs advanced lifters).
Beginner vs Intermediate vs Advanced
-Something sorely lacking in the OP atm. Throw in a simple guideline explaining the above terms. I'm partial to defining it by how much gains you've had, and how many you can expect. Would also help keeping people at a workout program that's appropriate for them.
Intermediate programs
-Like it says
Why compound over isolation?
Explain why beginner's programs have more compound than isolation, and all that jazz.
Sets & Reps
Yadda yadda

Post 4 - to reduce clutter
Reputable sources
Thanks

sphinx

the piano man
what Squiddy posted seems perfect to me. he seems to have covered everything.

but about testimonials or before/afters, how many? by whom? I'd say most will want to share something so as to feel included and because "hell, yeah" but we can be looking at a post with over 15 B/As, is that a good number or is that too much? and that's only counting most regulars,

Count those who have posted here once or twice but would like to show off and be included in the OP and we can be looking at 30+

if we go by top 20 posters in this ending thread, that'd be extremely excluding and just wrong. If we have it open, then everybody and their mother can send a pic.

I am all for it but I don't know how we can make it work.

dunno, maybe nobody gives a shit and I am overthinking it ::p

Needs a "Feats of Strength" section for great lifts like Cooter's muscle ups and Shogun's 600lb DL and 265lb OHP

coooool :D great idea!! that will motivate a lot of us!!

MrOogieBoogie double bar plank into a handstand would absolutely belong in there

Actually, don't even need before&afters in the OP.
Just make sure you make your 1st post in the thread be one instead.

Or that becomes another OP post (Post 5), making the new OT just as long as the current one. Which would be fine, imho.

despire

I'm thinking that only those, whose transformation have been extraordinary or something, should get their pics up there. Former fatties/skinnyfats turned beasts for example. If someone has been lean and in pretty good shape all their life, then not necessarily.

For example Darth was bit on fattier side in the past if I remember right. And look at him now. Would be a pretty awesome comparison.

Shogun used to be way skinnier to his transformation to a manbeast is awesome.

Also maybe Sean with his teenage picture compared to now.

Can't remember anyone else at the moment, whose before pics I've seen, but I'm sure there's more.

I'm not trying to downplay anyone's achievements of course but if we do this, we should concentrate on the truly awe inspiring transformations. At least when it starts to get crowdy in there. Also I think you need to be a regular poster (at least weekly) to get your pics up there. We can always vote if someone wants his/her pics up there.

Or that becomes another OP post (Post 5), making the new OT just as long as the current one. Which would be fine, imho.

This.

http://www.1percentedge.com/ifcalc/

This calculator needs to go into the next OP.

Use that Doodis, it'll give you an idea of how many calories (and carb/fat/protein ratio) you should consume on a daily basis, then use the following site:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/

That will be used to track foods you eat and plan on eating, so you can follow the guidelines from the above site so much easier.

I'd definitely appreciate more diet-related links in the OP as it is one part of my knowledge that is sorely lacking when it comes to cutting.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Strength Building |OT| Look At Our Cooter

Or just Strength OT but I'd worry a lot of people wouldn't really know what it is. Or maybe "Lifting OT"

despire

Nah, Strength Building is too narrow. Not everyone here is focused on strength. Weightlifting IOTI is better imo because encompasses everything.

sphinx

the piano man
I like the fitness word too.

Problem is, it isn't a random fitgaffer who is suggesting (demanding?) a change, it is the owner of this place. Let's see what's his final word on this matter.

Dany

Banned
There is not enough weightless in this thread, which is why there is a dedicated weightloss OT when there really shouldn't .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom