• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT5| Intermittent Farting, Wrist Curls and Hammer Strength Machine Spotters

Status
Not open for further replies.

MjFrancis

I like the fitness word too.

Problem is, it isn't a random fitgaffer who is suggesting (demanding?) a change, it is the owner of this place. Let's see what's his final word on this matter.
Our benevolent leader was certainly suggesting the change, but that's because he's got too much class to articulate that order in the form of a demand.

I've always been a fan of an OP rewrite - I didn't change much since there was a lot of support for the current layout. Keep strength as the main focus (seeing as it's a skill that will improve just about every other physical property), but streamline the presentation as much as possible and expand upon other subjects as seen fit. Nutrition is a big one, and conditioning, calisthenics, and mobility are good ancillary companions to the elusively-defined 'fitness.' I would certainly welcome fat-loss GAF into the thread. It's kind of a catch-22 - less is more, of which the OP is in need, but expanding it's focus is the only way you'll keep that moniker 'fitness.'

---

Getting back to fitness itself, I ran the stadium steps in 5:02 this morning and after I'm done with this post I'm going to split that final cord of wood on the side of my house and stack it. I had hoped to have that done by July, but better late than never. At least I'll have enough wood to heat my home for the next two winters. Playing lumberjack has really worn me out these past few months.

deadbeef

BBB challenge cycle 3 (70% assistance) is kicking my butt

This week:
Squat: 285x7,9,7,7,3
Bench 180x10,10,10,9,9
DL 325x10,7,9,5,5
OHP 125x10,9,6+2,7

I suggest a tennis ball and foam roller is part of the required equipment for strength building.
If all beginners from the very start incorporated rolling those into their routine, I imagine they'd improve their mobility so much more and prevent needless injuries.

Foam rollers are amazing.
I need to buy myself one of those "spiky" ones - what are they called?

Putting "muscle" in the thread title will probably put off a lot of folks, as muscle shaming seems pretty widespread.

With any name change though, I suggest the new thread should be created in OT proper - just to give it some exposure, and then moved back into community (If the mods are alright with this).
If we're going to rewrite the OT to be more streamlined, so that beginners will have an easier time getting into strength building, then it makes sense for the thread to initially be created in a place where most beginners probably reside.

Can't hurt to get some fresh blood, kill some muscle shaming & BB myths, and inform people what's what when it comes to building muscles.

Go_Ly_Dow

But this thread is for people seeking to gain muscle and or increase body strength. Why should we worry about what any muscle shamers think? They have no intention of seeking or posting in a community like this anyway. It will appeal to the those that do.

...also what about Body Strength & Size OT?

Petrie

Banned
I am just curious... Wtf is muscle shame?!
People are ashamed these days of their muscle?!

I dont get it

People think it's too vain, that your time could be better spent on scholarly endeavors, and any number of other bullshit excuses to be unfit.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
If we can be more friendly, it will help us being more inclusive. We can definitely make a better effort when it comes to being friendly. We have the ability to help people and we should do all we can to help others, because beginning on a fitness journey isn't easy, and some people really can use the help we provide, even if it feels like we're always saying the same thing. There's enough of us that we can all give a personal touch to people needing help. So let's touch their persons.

blackflag

anyone got the August GNC coupon? I wnet back a few pages and couldn't find it but I know it's there.

Lets have it added to the OP next thread?

sphinx

the piano man
I'm not saying that we shouldn't strive to be inclusive, I'm saying that we simply aren't(I like the fitness title).

I am with Imm0rt4l on this (and I also like the fitness title),

whether this thread can be more inclusive or not, that's open for discussion and suggestions, I guess, but the fact is that we simply aren't.

particulary crossfitters. Only god knows how many of those guys may have had the intention to post but watched those gifs and thought "what a bunch of dicks" and decided against it.

Imm0rt4l

I am with Imm0rt4l on this (and I also like the fitness title),

whether this thread can be more inclusive or not, that's open for discussion and suggestions, I guess, but the fact is that we simply aren't.

particulary crossfitters. Only god knows how many of those guys may have had the intention to post but watched those gifs and thought "what a bunch of dicks" and decided against it.

First thing that came to mind.

LeBoef

People think it's too vain, that your time could be better spent on scholarly endeavors, and any number of other bullshit excuses to be unfit.

Urm... Yeah thats right... School is more important than that stuff, but its not like that you learn school stuff 24/7... Sports in general can be done instead of sitting on the couch and watching tv or things like that.

Do something for your brain, do something for your health.
People in 2013 still think muslces = dumb?!

I am confused and sorry for being OT

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Urm... Yeah thats right... School is more important than that stuff, but its not like that you learn school stuff 24/7... Sports in general can be done instead of sitting on the couch and watching tv or things like that.

Do something for your brain, do something for your health.
People in 2013 still think muslces = dumb?!

I am confused and sorry for being OT

Brah check the muscle shaming thread for a bunch of bitter people

SeanR1221

You know you're in deep when you get all excited over your Costco order. Can't wait to eat sweet potato fries, mahi mahi burgers and Greek yogurt after my workout.

Petrie

Banned
You know you're in deep when you get all excited over your Costco order. Can't wait to eat sweet potato fries, mahi mahi burgers and Greek yogurt after my workout.

This reminds me I haven't had salmon burgers in a year.

I know what I'm picking up for my week alone at home next week. mmm

Cudder

I suggest a tennis ball and foam roller is part of the required equipment for strength building.
If all beginners from the very start incorporated rolling those into their routine, I imagine they'd improve their mobility so much more and prevent needless injuries.

Foam rollers are amazing.
I need to buy myself one of those "spiky" ones - what are they called?

Rumble Rollers. I use mine every morning and it is BLISS.

Rumble Rollers. I use mine every morning and it is BLISS.

Thanks!
I'm in the middle of writing something, but I'll throw up a suggested draft of the OT along the lines of what I wrote last page, in case someone wants to make use of it when it's time.

I just like putting things together in a sensible manner :p

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Crossfitters have their own thread and I prefer it that way. We are inclusive to all who desire to build strength with proper form, eat smart, do cardio, play sports, and generally want to be healthy. If someone doesn't fit into any of these categories let them make their own niche fitness thread.

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
Down another 3 lbs this week! 11.8 total in 2 weeks with 57 lbs left to go! My body is really adjusting to the diet and I'm feeling very energetic! Will try to implement a weight routine in the next few weeks.

Noema

Crossfitters have their own thread and I prefer it that way. We are inclusive to all who desire to build strength with proper form, eat smart, do cardio, play sports, and generally want to be healthy. If someone doesn't fit into any of these categories let them make their own niche fitness thread.

I agree. Strength is the foundation of fitness,, since it's the most structurally critical mid and long term adaptation that can occur in the body, with a proper diet and smart conditioning on top. That is what a fitness thread should be about and that's the advice most people who visit this thread will recieve. A fitness thread should be, in principle, a strength training+mobility+diet thread, with conditioning sprinkled on top. We should strive to promote the value of the core lifts, the importance of programming (really critical) and what it is like to eat for performance.

Crossfit and P90X training have their own threads already (the latter for people who want to look like Brad Pitt in Fight Club, and I don't mean this in a dismissive manner. It's just that we probably aren't the right crowd to advice those people). If someone just comes in and says "hey guys I just want a six-pack for the summer" they can be directed to a more appropriate thread.

Your second sentence contradicts your first.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
posted this in the Zyzz thread, but it bears repeating - Jason Blaha has a lot to say about the dark side of steroids and bodybuilding:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5oV9LOP5VQ

He's kind of vague but it's a good reminder of our fucked up expectations and why we should trust in ourselves and not something we're being presented with.

Noema

I was surprised to see that Layne was able to bully Jason into taking down the videos about not believing his natural status.

I'm pretty sure he threatened to sue him for libel, which AFAIK is a pretty big deal in the UK, which is where Jason Blaha lives.

On the topic of steroids, I find Bostin Loyd's videos fascinating, simply because the guy knows his stuff and is so candid about it. I was watching an interview with him the other day in which he said that he doesn't even need to change his diet when cutting, that he only changes the drugs and his body just sheds all the fat, and he went from fat to shredded in like 12 weeks. It's crazy.

Video in question

Zoe

The problem is nobody really talks about those other things. 99% of the chatter in here is about weightlifting. That is a subset of fitness just like all the other OT's are subsets.

There really shouldn't be a general fitness thread at all. That's what making a new thread is for, in which people will point them to the appropriate community threads based on their goals.

TheJerit

SS has been going better than I ever expected.

qwuJWmI.jpg

I'm happy with my progress and will continue hitting it hard. I used to be in the gym all of the time when I was playing football in highschool and then when I went off to college, I stayed with it for a bit. I've done a few week/month trends here and there since, but I've never been this motivated and determined to do it consistently.

Just from research, practice, and excecution in the gym, I'm already head and shoulders above my young self. I have no doubt's I'll be stronger than I ever was in just a short time. Amazing how much you realize you didn't know jack shit when you were that age, or at least our group of guys didn't.

I'll be 30 next month and I'm well on my way to being in the best shape of my life.

Imm0rt4l

I'm pretty sure he threatened to sue him for libel, which AFAIK is a pretty big deal in the UK, which is where Jason Blaha lives.

On the topic of steroids, I find Bostin Loyd's videos fascinating, simply because the guy knows his stuff and is so candid about it. I was watching an interview with him the other day in which he said that he doesn't even need to change his diet when cutting, that he only changes the drugs and his body just sheds all the fat, and he went from fat to shredded in like 12 weeks. It's crazy.

I seriously just sat and listened to bostin's 20 something minute video with nick wright about drugs. I find his honesty very refreshing. A lot of geared bodybuilders like to say that drug is bottom tier in terms of what it take to achieve their look, but Bostin keeps it 100. Drugs first, nutrition 2nd, and training third. His comparing bodybuilding to chemical warfare was a very interesting analogy, these guys basically enlist chemists to do their work and he seems to be a real student of the science.

Cooter

The problem is nobody really talks about those other things. 99% of the chatter in here is about weightlifting. That is a subset of fitness just like all the other OT's are subsets.

There really shouldn't be a general fitness thread at all. That's what making a new thread is for, in which people will point them to the appropriate community threads based on their goals.

I disagree. Nutrition is discussed frequently. Various types of cardio are common place. Weight lifting is discussed the most because it is the foundation to fitness and there are so many intricate sub topics involving it.

Cooter

I have not seen a crossfit official thread but even if there is, it does not make sense to me to exclude it completely from a fitness/weightlifting thread.
There is one and they are their own group with very specific guidelines and instructions. We cover weightlifting in here but there is no set standard. Many people have different routines and these routines get shared, critiqued, and advice is offered. There are many ways to get fit.

Noema

I seriously just sat and listened to bostin's 20 something minute video with nick wright about drugs. I find his honesty very refreshing. A lot of geared bodybuilders like to say that drug is bottom tier in terms of what it take to achieve their look, but Bostin keeps it 100. Drugs first, nutrition 2nd, and training third. His comparing bodybuilding to chemical warfare was a very interesting analogy, these guys basically enlist chemists to do their work and he seems to be a real student of the science.

Exactly. Since everybody knows at this point that the freak-show pros and even ripped fitness models are on something, the industry really tries to downplay the impact of the drugs, like "Well, it's just for cutting", or "it helps with recovery", when apparently it's just not that simple. Look! They really really truly really used our overpriced supplement to get this big! Honest!

The amount of drugs Bostin describes in excruciating detail is simply mind-boggling, as is the effect they have. He claims he put on like 40lb of muscle with just Pro-Hormone, which isn't even an anabolic Steroid back when he started juicing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom