• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT7| #Swelfies, Trap Lords, and Quadzilla

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
You know what's really funny? I'm probably the only actual strength and conditioning coach in this thread.

That means jack shit until you actually coach someone who does something worth a damn. S&C coaches and wanna bes are a dime a dozen.

Where/who do you coach? What are YOUR best lifts? Videos?

If you're gonna come into this thread like that, you better be pulling 600+ squatting 500+ and benching 400+ because if you aren't, many/most of the regulars here wouldn't hire you as a coach in the first place, shit we wouldn't even want you as a lifting partner.

O.v.e.rlord

Banned
Welp. Work started back up, and now I have to go during peek hours. It wasn't fun but I was able to power through my back workout today. Anyone else have a good workout?

You know what's really funny? I'm probably the only actual strength and conditioning coach in this thread.

Haa!

tumblr_n9v9s8AlGi1qzfncmo1_400.gif

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
Well Gaf, after maintaining my weightloss for a few years and really learning to love fitness and nutrition I've finally pulled the trigger on a gym membership. I signed my life away for 18 months but I figure it is a wise investment. Hey, your health is your true wealth, you know?

So my girlfriend and I joined up at the same gym on the 2nd and I've been hitting it up each day for at least cardio but mostly trying out the various equipment, though I know I need to work out a schedule. Usually most of my activity prior to this has been cycling and power walking, with occasional jogging. I'm really happy to finally be able to get into some weight training though! Totally stoked. I'm meeting up with my girlfriend at the gym tomorrow before work, but I'm going to head to work early and sit in cafeteria and catch up on this thread before we meet up.

I'm hoping to find a good weekly schedule and beginner's advice, which I'm certain will be plentiful in here so I'm just thanking you guys in advance. I'm really excited to finally have access to all the right equipment, and I think from my passion for nutrition and weight loss that I'll have the drive to follow it through. I've already upped my protein game the past few weeks so hopefully that will help.

Palpable

That is insane! You have absolutely gorgeous tummy area I must say.

How long you have been going to gym before a break and how long that break was?

Nothing wrong with butt-fucks...

Thanks! I appreciate that. :3

I've been going on and off for years. I hadn't gone in 1 year and now I've gone back for a month. I'm pretty sure I'm between an ectomorph and a mesomorph body type. Probably a bit more of an ectomorph.

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member
It seems that ten days off from the gym was too many, even with some strenuous hiking mixed in. I'm not seeing those big strength gains. Oh well, time to grind.

Grimløck;146179247 said:
Cardio after lifting? Supposedly you burn more fat after deleting your glycogen levels from lifting. Truth?

I don't know the science behind it, but I do know it's better not to lift when you've used up a bunch of energy on cardio. If only because you'll have more strength for gainz.

What are YOUR best lifts? Videos?

If you're gonna come into this thread like that, you better be pulling 600+ squatting 500+ and benching 400+ because if you aren't, many/most of the regulars here wouldn't hire you as a coach in the first place, shit we wouldn't even want you as a lifting partner.

In fairness, a lot of the best coaches aren't actually amazing at their sports / fields (most never made it as professionals etc)... but they know how to teach. I wouldn't judge a coach on his own physique / strength. It's only the results of their clients that matter.

I'm thinking this particular coach has given us enough info to go on though.

I hope lostsupper sticks around. It's nice to have an example of what not to do to show to new posters.
I wrote up a nice long post were I went off on the guy last night, but let it go.

I hate the idea of negative people and attitudes in a thread like this. Health, nutrition, and fitness are sensitive subjects for a lot of people. You can be critical and informative with tact. No one should be putting down anyone.

SeanR1221

I hope lostsupper sticks around. It's nice to have an example of what not to do to show to new posters.

Hey now! He's a strength and conditioning coach.

Lostsupper, how about we make a bet.

I'll be working on my deadlift with Steve Pulcinella at the end of this month. If he doesn't tell me to do a slow, controlled descent, we can talk to a mod about a custom tag for you :)

ILoveBish

5s day on squats went really well. The deload was really needed, my ego still hurts tho. Feels so good to be so consistent again. About 20+ people ive never seen at the gym before today, and this was at 2am. One dude showed up off of a construction site, i swear to you he was wearing the bright orange jacket while benching, i wanted to take a pic but didn't want to be that guy. He had on jeans and his work boots also.

SeanR1221

5s day on squats went really well. The deload was really needed, my ego still hurts tho. Feels so good to be so consistent again. About 20+ people ive never seen at the gym before today, and this was at 2am. One dude showed up off of a construction site, i swear to you he was wearing the bright orange jacket while benching, i wanted to take a pic but didn't want to be that guy. He had on jeans and his work boots also.

You think that's bad, my wife has seen nurses from her hospital go right after work, still in their scrubs, after dealing with mrsa and other fun diseases.

Shower and change! Yuck

Why do hotels hardly ever take photos of their gyms / fitness suites? I appreciate in most cases it's because they're shit, but even when they're not it's hard to find details on them.

Hell, I'd be happy enough if it was just a list of what they had.

Dumbells: No
Barbells: No
Smith Machine: No
Squat Rack: lol

Treadmill: 4
Cross Trainer: 4
Rowing Machine: No

etc. Very frustrating. I've taken to emailing a bunch of them before deciding in the hope that they'll get back to me with some info.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Some of the chest exercises are redundant if you do heavy bench press and overhead press. Also you need some deadlifts and squats on leg day. Probably there are not enough free weights for a regular deadlift, so the romanian variation will stretch those hamstrings good even at lower weights:

Or for people like me who can't bench and overhead press the same day:

Then next week wednesday becomes monday and friday.
Underlined means lift HEAVY, as these will be your main exercises.
And I'm assuming here you really want to train 5 times a week for whatever reason such as cutting. But you could save time and do something similar to SS. Just switch leg press with squats as accessory given your circumstances, add a few other accessories (curls and pullups) and you could have a decent workout.

Edit: Forgot to mention that the lat pulldown machine is neat, but should be considered assisted workout towards pullups. So you can start with that, or something else. But after a while you must be attempting a proper pullup or a chin up and later ditch the lat machine and use it just to warm up.

Interesting, thanks for the help.
If I were to lift 3 days a week what would you suggest?

I was thinking lift M, W, F, and on Tues do all cardio, and on Thurs do yoga, pilates, and abs, etc. My overall goal being to drop fat and tone a bit. I need to lose about 20 lbs.

Thanks!

Pathos

Banned
Do you guys got any tips or videos for keeping your shoulder blades clenched when benching? It's the only thing I can't lock down. Like I'll be able to do maybe 2-3 reps, then it'll unclench.

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member
I've been using an app called Multi-year to track my weightlifting progress. I'm about to bite the bullet and purchase custom routines. Any other suggestions before I bite the bullet?

MRSA

Banned
Anybody have any tips on doing dumbbell only exercises? My gym at work has no power racks only dumbbells.

I'm guessing the usual; dumbbell bench press, shoulder press, shoulder shrugs, lunges, step ups, and what else? Should I even bother with dumbbell deadlifts if the max weight I can get to is 75lbs? Not looking to get swoll just back in shape really.

Hey now! He's a strength and conditioning coach.

Lostsupper, how about we make a bet.

I'll be working on my deadlift with Steve Pulcinella at the end of this month. If he doesn't tell me to do a slow, controlled descent, we can talk to a mod about a custom tag for you :)

How about this. Ask him if smaller, weaker dudes will be damaged by doing slow, controlled descents. Ask him if Dimels would help anyone, including you.

Anybody have any tips on doing dumbbell only exercises? My gym at work has no power racks only dumbbells.

Take a look at what they do on Beach Body's "Body Beast". All of their workouts can be done with dumbbells (though they prefer a bar for some bits).

As for deadlifts... you can do Romanian dumbbell deadlifts, but if you have a shit grip like me, then you'll end up needing to use straps.

otapnam

I'm guessing the usual; dumbbell bench press, shoulder press, shoulder shrugs, lunges, step ups, and what else? Should I even bother with dumbbell deadlifts if the max weight I can get to is 75lbs? Not looking to get swoll just back in shape really.

Dumbell clean n press
rows
chest flys
arnolds

Zoe

Grimløck;146179247 said:
Cardio after lifting? Supposedly you burn more fat after deleting your glycogen levels from lifting. Truth?

Any activity you do is going to use up your immediate energy stores before actually tapping into your fat. I've always heard it takes about 30 minutes for that to happen.

HIIT is the exception to that, but I've never gotten it to work for me.

MRSA

Banned
Take a look at what they do on Beach Body's "Body Beast". All of their workouts can be done with dumbbells (though they prefer a bar for some bits).

As for deadlifts... you can do Romanian dumbbell deadlifts, but if you have a shit grip like me, then you'll end up needing to use straps.

Dumbell clean n press
rows
chest flys
arnolds

I'll look into all those, putting together a 2 day split because I only work 3 days a week.

Upper:
Dumbbell bench, shoulder press, bicep curls, rows

Lower:
Squats, lunges/reverse, step ups, maybe some dumbbell cleans?

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
How about this. Ask him if smaller, weaker dudes will be damaged by doing slow, controlled descents. Ask him if Dimels would help anyone, including you.

I know you're banned, but you don't know what you're talking about. The conversation was about heavy deadlifts and not bothering lowering slowly. Youre talking about a low weight accessory movement that works speed (along with glutes/hams) and never hits the floor.

In fairness, a lot of the best coaches aren't actually amazing at their sports / fields (most never made it as professionals etc)... but they know how to teach. I wouldn't judge a coach on his own physique / strength. It's only the results of their clients that matter.

I'm thinking this particular coach has given us enough info to go on though.

Depends on the sport, but a S&C coach needs to know how to train, and that is directly reflected in their own accomplishments as well as that of their client. One must not CURRENTLY be strong, but that S&C coach must have at one time been strong. After all, if he/she doesn't know how to train him/herself, why in the HELL would you expect them to know how to train you?

Also, "in fairness" I also gave him the opportunity to tell us who he's coached as a qualifier for his credibility as more knowledgeable than the rest of us.

That said the basis of "strength" relies on the sport they are coaching. In here, many of us chase the big 3, so that's where the context of my statement lies.

sphinx

the piano man
I know you're banned, but you don't know what you're talking about. The conversation was about heavy deadlifts and not bothering lowering slowly. Youre talking about a low weight accessory movement that works speed (along with glutes/hams) and never hits the floor.

exactly what I thought.

but if this is a certified trainer who can't distinguish the accessory variations from a standard deadlift then damn.. I'd avoid like the pest.

Took about 12 days off from lifting over the holiday season. Bad choice for sure and I regret it now. Day two back at the gym today after a solid workout yesterday. Shoveled a shit ton of snow this morning though which is bad timing since today is deadlift day. So far so good though.

Also that lostsupper guy needs to get the hell our of here.

Interesting, thanks for the help.
If I were to lift 3 days a week what would you suggest?

A routine like in the OP. Switch squats with leg press, but still do lots of bodyweight squats afterwards.

I was thinking lift M, W, F, and on Tues do all cardio, and on Thurs do yoga, pilates, and abs, etc. My overall goal being to drop fat and tone a bit. I need to lose about 20 lbs.

Thanks!

Cardio works better on empty stomachs. I lost 30 pounds over one summer by jogging first thing in the morning less than a couple miles 3 times a week. Then I lifted. Of course I didn't build much muscle but I was looking good. Separating lifting and cardio on different days should be good as long as cardio doesn't leave your legs too sore the next day that you can't do your leg exercises.

Another total fuckup of a workout. Hit 188 heart rate at one point (I actually thought I was too old for it to get that high). Felt like throwing up all the way through, had to take a ton of breaks. Average heart rate of 158 over 80 minutes.

Fuck lunges and step ups in their ugly fucking faces. :(

Routine has me doing 15/12/8 (each leg) but I think I'm going to have to go something like 12/8/5... that, or heavily reduce the weights (which seems kinda pointless).

I find myself longing for the squats / calf raises so I can have a break.

/curls up into a little ball and weeps

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Remember a week ago when I was bummed as fuck because my hematocrit went up for NO REASON? It's down, like how it should be. Chalking it up to a fluke or mistake.

IM BACK BABY! So happy to not get any more blood drawn and eating right and fucking LIFTING again!

Thanks for everyone who showed concern - it meant a lot. Now, soon it'll be time for me to see what kind of strength loss I'm dealing with. And that's fine. Rebuilding the statue!!!

Just happy I'm not heart attack and stroke at risk anymore! Oh happy day!

Szu

Remember a week ago when I was bummed as fuck because my hematocrit went up for NO REASON? It's down, like how it should be. Chalking it up to a fluke or mistake.

IM BACK BABY! So happy to not get any more blood drawn and eating right and fucking LIFTING again!

Thanks for everyone who showed concern - it meant a lot. Now, soon it'll be time for me to see what kind of strength loss I'm dealing with. And that's fine. Rebuilding the statue!!!

Kick some ass!!!!
tumblr_natzbmUAgG1qfzs1ho1_250.gif

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
A routine like in the OP. Switch squats with leg press, but still do lots of bodyweight squats afterwards.

Cardio works better on empty stomachs. I lost 30 pounds over one summer by jogging first thing in the morning less than a couple miles 3 times a week. Then I lifted. Of course I didn't build much muscle but I was looking good. Separating lifting and cardio on different days should be good as long as cardio doesn't leave your legs too sore the next day that you can't do your leg exercises.

So based on the OP this is what I put together. Look alright? Should I add or move anything? Seems like a lot more leg work than arms, I plan to do elliptical 4x a week, should I add more arms and less legs?

The only thing is the workouts seem super short. Like 10 to 20 min of lifting each day. I'll do cardio after, but I feel like I should have a few more exercises each lift day. :p

Monday
Leg Press - 3 Sets of 5
Body Weight Squat - 3 sets of 20
Dead Lifts - 1 set of 5
Lats - 3 sets of 10
Incline Bench - 3 sets of 5
Cardio - Elliptical - 35 min

Tuesday
Cardio - Elliptical - 45 to 60 min.

Wednesday
Leg press - 3 Sets of 5
Body Weight Squat - 3 sets of 20
Overhead Press - 3 sets of 5
Curls - 3 sets of 8

Thursday
Yoga/Pilates/P90X Ab Video

Friday
Leg Press - 3 Sets of 5
Body Weight Squats - 3 sets of 20
Bench Press - 3 Sets of 5
Deadlift - 1 set of 5
Bent Over Rows - 3 sets of 5

WELP THERE GOES THE NEIGHBORHOOD.

But for real, I'm glad things are improved. Don't stress about the strength loss. It'll mentally weigh on you when you get in the gym for that first week, but it is what it is and you can overcome it.

TTOOLL

Hey guys, first of all nice to see this thread and post here for the first time!

So, I started working out in December, stopped because Holidays and returned yesterday. I intend to gain around 4 kg. in 2 months. Is it an achievable goal? I have no idea.
I going to go the gym 5 times a week. I'm 180 cm tall and weight 72.5 kg. I'll post my plan later so you can give me some advice, if possible =D

thanks in advance!

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Hey guys, first of all nice to see this thread and post here for the first time!

So, I started working out in December, stopped because Holidays and returned yesterday. I intend to gain around 4 kg. in 2 months. Is it an achievable goal? I have no idea.
I going to go the gym 5 times a week. I'm 180 cm tall and weight 72.5 kg. I'll post my plan later so you can give me some advice, if possible =D

thanks in advance!

We need the real answers to real-ass questions.

What workout program are you using?
How much are you eating?
Why five days a week?
Do you want to lose fat, or just build massel?
How old are you?

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Deadlift day after a 2 week rest. Feeling fresh and energized. Shooting for 475x3x3. Yeah baby!

And god damn it's nice to have you and your positive self back in this thread Vince. Really happy things are on the upswing for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom