• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT7| #Swelfies, Trap Lords, and Quadzilla

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member
The only thing is the workouts seem super short. Like 10 to 20 min of lifting each day. I'll do cardio after, but I feel like I should have a few more exercises each lift day. :p

Monday
Leg Press - 3 Sets of 5
Body Weight Squat - 3 sets of 20
Dead Lifts - 1 set of 5
Lats - 3 sets of 10
Incline Bench - 3 sets of 5
Cardio - Elliptical - 35 min

Tuesday
Cardio - Elliptical - 45 to 60 min.

Wednesday
Leg press - 3 Sets of 5
Body Weight Squat - 3 sets of 20
Overhead Press - 3 sets of 5
Curls - 3 sets of 8

Thursday
Yoga/Pilates/P90X Ab Video

Friday
Leg Press - 3 Sets of 5
Body Weight Squats - 3 sets of 20
Bench Press - 3 Sets of 5
Deadlift - 1 set of 5
Bent Over Rows - 3 sets of 5

Your workouts seem short because you don't have the proper equipment. When the weight is heavy enough, long rest periods between sets are mandatory. Your workout plan would take me three hours to complete.

When I started out, I used to use dumbbells for deadlifts, even power clean when traveling to hotels or at the office. It was somewhat worthwhile until it got easy, but please invest in a gym. Cut back on something else, like cigarettes, parking fees, time with your significant other or whatever else is holding you back.

So based on the OP this is what I put together. Look alright? Should I add or move anything? Seems like a lot more leg work than arms, I plan to do elliptical 4x a week, should I add more arms and less legs?

The only thing is the workouts seem super short. Like 10 to 20 min of lifting each day. I'll do cardio after, but I feel like I should have a few more exercises each lift day. :p

You can do arms and abs exercises after every workout if you want to and have time, but the leg press, bench, overhead press, deadlift and rows have to be the focus of your workout. Remember that if you can complete the 3 sets of 5 then you must increase the weight next time, so the whole routine won't take you just 20 minutes after a few sessions.

How much time do you guys think it would take to achieve this kind of body? Is it just a matter of losing body fat?

tumblr_nhdff46Ura1qg22hlo1_1280.jpg

TTOOLL

We need the real answers to real-ass questions.

What workout program are you using?
The program they gave me at the gym. I have two workout plans which I use alternately. I spend about 1 hour doing the following exercises.

PLAN A (all 3x15)
Treadmill - 10 min (warm-up)
Dumbbell bench press
Incline dumbbell bench press
Machine Fly
Triceps pushdown
Triceps pushdown (rope)
Leg extensions
Seated calf raise
Dumbbell lateral raise/holding
Plank
Stationary bike - 10 min.

PLAN B (all 3x15)
Wide grip lap pulldown
T bar lying row
Cable seated row
Dumbbell bicep curl
Dumbbell Hammer curl
Lying leg curls
Thigh adductor
Dumbbell shoulder press
Crunches

How much are you eating?
I'm trying to eat more than normal, I know I need to focus on proteins, right? I'm trying to do that and avoid fat and sugar.

Why five days a week?
Because I'm on vacation and I thought I would have better/faster results going everyday.

Do you want to lose fat, or just build massel?
Build mass, lose some fat, but I don't exactly need to lose weight, I mean, my BF% is ok.

How old are you?
I'm fucking 29 years old! =D

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Excuse my ignorance. What's the thinking behind the pause? Increased time under tension?

Most people are weak at the bottom to mid of the squat, as such, they are very uncomfortable there. Pausing down there at the worst spot helps get more comfortable with it. Also, to hold the weight down there your abs, back, glutes, hamstrings, basically everything have to remain engaged. As such it like the front squat teach stability and keeping tight in the movement. Most people do brief pauses to eliminate the stretch reflex, making it harder as well.

It also builds mental toughness.

An added bonus for me is the bottom of the squat is the position I need to lap a stone, sandbag, or prep the log for a clean, so it helps that.

I also suck at them, and most people do. If you suck at something, do it.

I mean, I'm not a S&C coach, and I'm just a short fat guy with a beard that likes to pick things up, but these seem to work well for me! Give them a shot!

~Kinggi~

Banned
I would be eternally grateful if someone can point me in the direction of a great program that uses exclusively free-weights along with exercises such as push-ups etc that don't require anything (to gain muscle and eventually cut). I bought a really nice adjustable free weight set months ago that go up to 50lb on each, used it for like 3 months doing my own thing but then got sick and stopped. Im also interested in it being full body which means leg exercises like squats cause i dont want the chicken legs.

Ive been working out for a few years now on and off. It atarted with me losing 50 lbs after a year, and then eventually a year of weights that actually didnt get me very far cause i wasnt eating enough i guess. I grew more muscle in the 3 months last year i did with my free weights, eating a lot more than i did the whole year, not eating as much. I have a bit of a phobia of becoming fat again, i really feel uncomfortable having a lot of weight in my midsection.

Anyway my intended diet is variations of peanut butter, whole milk, whey protein, chicken and pork. Veggies. I take b12 vitamins to help with energy and i found eating a grapefruit 20 mins before workout gives me a big boost for some reason.

Im really just looking for a good workout set that i can be confident. I never have really known if im doing the right exercises at the right amount of reps/sets etc and so it bums me out a bit that im not maximizing my progress. My personality is really ocd about having plans so if i cant get anything solid here ill probably just revert back to what i was doing a few months ago.

I would be eternally grateful if someone can point me in the direction of a great program that uses exclusively free-weights along with exercises such as push-ups etc that don't require anything (to gain muscle and eventually cut). I bought a really nice adjustable free weight set months ago that go up to 50lb on each, used it for like 3 months doing my own thing but then got sick and stopped. Im also interested in it being full body which means leg exercises like squats cause i dont want the chicken legs.

Ive been working out for a few years now on and off. It atarted with me losing 50 lbs after a year, and then eventually a year of weights that actually didnt get me very far cause i wasnt eating enough i guess. I grew more muscle in the 3 months last year i did with my free weights, eating a lot more than i did the whole year, not eating as much. I have a bit of a phobia of becoming fat again, i really feel uncomfortable having a lot of weight in my midsection.

Anyway my intended diet is variations of peanut butter, whole milk, whey protein, chicken and pork. Veggies. I take b12 vitamins to help with energy and i found eating a grapefruit 20 mins before workout gives me a big boost for some reason.

Im really just looking for a good workout set that i can be confident. I never have really known if im doing the right exercises at the right amount of reps/sets etc and so it bums me out a bit that im not maximizing my progress. My personality is really ocd about having plans so if i cant get anything solid here ill probably just revert back to what i was doing a few months ago.

Well the OP program would be good since it uses free weights (with a barbell though) and some bodyweight exercises in the form of pull ups/chinups and ab exercises. I would replace the power clean with barbell rows though

Also the program is pretty straightforward. 3 sets of 5 with a linear progression. Add 5lbs for upper body and 10 lbs for lower body every workout

~Kinggi~

Banned
Well the OP program would be good since it uses free weights (with a barbell though) and some bodyweight exercises in the form of pull ups/chinups and ab exercises. I would replace the power clean with barbell rows though

I need something that fits in my requirements of just free weights though. There has to be something out there.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Different reps = different effects:

UrF1U.png

What about adding more sets? So let's say all it takes is adding 5 lb a workout, 3 sets of 5 reps, your telling me i will have gained as much or more muscle than if i was doing more reps at 3 sets?

So if thats the case, which seems crazy to me just going off of visual experience with my past progressions, but if it is then would adding sets help at all? Im really not gonna be going beyond my 50lb dumbbells...i dont want to get crazy big i just want visible muscles and then defined muscles with good strength.

Edit: Oh an also are these reps focused completely on one arm side at a time? Meaning 1 set = 5 on one arm and then 5 on the other?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
What about adding more sets? So let's say all it takes is adding 5 lb a workout, 3 sets of 5 reps, your telling me i will have gained as much or more muscle than if i was doing more reps at 3 sets?

So if thats the case, which seems crazy to me just going off of visual experience with my past progressions, but if it is then would adding sets help at all? Im really not gonna be going beyond my 50lb dumbbells...i dont want to get crazy big i just want visible muscles and then defined muscles with good strength.

Edit: Oh an also are these reps focused completely on one arm side at a time? Meaning 1 set = 5 on one arm and then 5 on the other?

Ultimate Warrior did 25 lb db curls for his biceps. I'm sorry. You're going to get crazy big and there's nothing you can do to stop it.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Ultimate Warrior did 25 lb db curls for his biceps. I'm sorry. You're going to get crazy big and there's nothing you can do to stop it.

Can't tell what this post is right now. Usually when i start asking these questions it devolves into one half being sarcastic getting offended or annoyed by something and the other half helping.

It's not a precise mathematical equation. Assume equal time for both when you look at the chart (I've seen some studies that actually tried to take this into account, with varying success).

Suffice to say that for the time you save you might as well add a different exercise in rather than increase the reps. If you really want to delve deeper (I strongly suggest against it, it's one hell of a rabbit hole), you might want to start here:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/training/the-5x5-program.html/
http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/reps-per-set-for-optimal-growth.html/

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Can't tell what this post is right now. Usually when i start asking these questions it devolves into one half being sarcastic getting offended or annoyed by something and the other half helping.

Warrior did use 25lb dbs for curls, he just did a ton of reps. You can get huge off of light weights and insane reps. What I poorly meant to say is you're not gonna get huge on accident.

~Kinggi~

Banned
It's not a precise mathematical equation. Assume equal time for both when you look at the chart (I've seen some studies that actually tried to take this into account, with varying success).

Suffice to say that for the time you save you might as well add a different exercise in rather than increase the reps. If you really want to delve deeper (I strongly suggest against it, it's one hell of a rabbit hole), you might want to start here:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/training/the-5x5-program.html/
http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/reps-per-set-for-optimal-growth.html/

Is the only measure of time on that chart the reps? Also how much rest between sets and how much does it matter to me? Oh and i edited this question into my prior post;

--Are these reps focused completely on one arm side at a time? Meaning 1 set = 5 on one arm and then 5 on the other?

Warrior did use 25lb dbs for curls, he just did a ton of reps. You can get huge off of light weights and insane reps. What I poorly meant to say is you're not gonna get huge on accident.

Ah ok thanks.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
What workout program are you using?
The program they gave me at the gym. I have two workout plans which I use alternately. I spend about 1 hour doing the following exercises.

PLAN A (all 3x15)
Dumbbell bench press
Incline dumbbell bench press
Machine Fly
Triceps pushdown
Triceps pushdown (rope)
Leg extensions
Seated calf raise
Plank

PLAN B (all 3x15)
Wide grip lap pulldown
T bar lying row
Cable seated row
Dumbbell bicep curl
Dumbbell Hammer curl
Lying leg curls
Thigh adductor
Dumbbell shoulder press
Crunches

Were these beginner programs, starting from basically nothing? Also don't worry about avoiding fats. Enjoy em. Carbs, keep em low though. You'll need some. Just steer clear of sugar and you should be good to go provided you're not eating like I do on a quesarito binge.

Are you able to do a pullup? It also sounds like they don't have barbells - is this correct? There's a bunch of accessory work and it sounds like you'd be better served with a very stripped down basic starting strength routine. Are your numbers going up every visit?

Is the only measure of time on that chart the reps? Also how much rest between sets and how much does it matter to me? Oh and i edited this question into my prior post;

--Are these reps focused completely on one arm side at a time? Meaning 1 set = 5 on one arm and then 5 on the other?

Correct. It takes no account of sets (it's also a bit wrong, but it serves a simple purpose). Like I said, if you want to go deeper, read one / both of the articles I linked, and the OP, and then most of the rest of the internet.

As for the reps, yes, for anything that isn't barbell you'd need to do both arms.

Damn psychotext, I answer your question and you blow me off. I has a sad.

I did? I thought I replied. Sorry, busy day, I must have closed the tab or something.

TTOOLL

Were these beginner programs, starting from basically nothing? Also don't worry about avoiding fats. Enjoy em. Carbs, keep em low though. You'll need some. Just steer clear of sugar and you should be good to go provided you're not eating like I do on a quesarito binge.

Are you able to do a pullup? It also sounds like they don't have barbells - is this correct? There's a bunch of accessory work and it sounds like you'd be better served with a very stripped down basic starting strength routine. Are your numbers going up every visit?

They do have barbells and I can use them if necessary. I can do about 6 pullups and 27 pushups. I used to do them at home but damn, pullups are the hardest.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Thanks for the help. Will start looking into the various dumbbell exercises i can do and sticking to a 3 sets 6 reps standard on them.

Are squats with weights good as an all around leg exercise?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
They do have barbells and I can use them if necessary. I can do about 6 pullups and 27 pushups. I used to do them at home but damn, pullups are the hardest.

Highly recommend trimming down the accessory work and adding deadlifts and squats. Would recommend barbell bench press as opposed to DB unless you're at very low weights and building strength, or have symmetry issues. Keep doing pullups - they're one of the best movements you can do besides the squat and DLs. If you add barbell squats, I'd drop the leg extensions and leg curls for a while as well.

Tabasco

Hey there fitnessgaf!

I'm trying to get back to just doing moderate exercise so that I don't feel like a couch potato.

Every time I don't go to the gym, I feel bad. Every time I do go, I feel like my time is kind of being wasted since all I like doing are minor things.

My routine has been:

Elliptical for 1 hour
Machines for chest, abs, arms, etc. for maybe 20 minutes or so

The elliptical is kind of tough for me because of how long I'm doing it. I don't like using the treadmill at all, so I avoid it.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a routine that's not going to stress me out too much and provides at least moderate exercise to stay in shape?

SeanR1221

Hey there fitnessgaf!

I'm trying to get back to just doing moderate exercise so that I don't feel like a couch potato.

Every time I don't go to the gym, I feel bad. Every time I do go, I feel like my time is kind of being wasted since all I like doing is minor things.

My routine has been:

Elliptical for 1 hour

The elliptical is kind of tough for me because of how long I'm doing it. I don't like using the treadmill at all, so I avoid it.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a routine that's not going to stress me out too much and provides at least moderate exercise to stay in shape?

Define getting in shape. What's your goal

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Hey there fitnessgaf!

Every time I don't go to the gym, I feel bad. Every time I do go, I feel like my time is kind of being wasted since all I like doing are minor things.

My routine has been:

Elliptical for 1 hour

Lose weight? Gain weight? What equipment is available?

TTOOLL

Highly recommend trimming down the accessory work and adding deadlifts and squats. Would recommend barbell bench press as opposed to DB unless you're at very low weights and building strength, or have symmetry issues. Keep doing pullups - they're one of the best movements you can do besides the squat and DLs. If you add barbell squats, I'd drop the leg extensions and leg curls for a while as well.

today I did db bench press with 10 kg, around 22lbs. It was ok, not difficult at all. I can start doing pullups again, but should I substitute any exercise by it or just add it to my routine? I'll try some barbell squats tomorrow. In DL I lift the bar untill my waistline?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
today I did db bench press with 10 kg, around 22lbs. It was ok, not difficult at all. I can start doing pullups again, but should I substitute any exercise by it or just add it to my routine? I'll try some barbell squats tomorrow. In DL I lift the bar untill my waistline?

Sounds like you can bench the bar and start adding weight each week. Look into a linear progression system and make sure you're eating plenty and sleeping plenty.

Regarding pullups, I'd toss out the lat pulldowns - Cooter, if you could weigh in on your optimal pullup routine (to failure? 3x5? what's up brother) please chime in.

I'm a giant, 6'7" and pullups are EXTREMELY tough for me still so pullups are not my forte.

Regarding squats, I can't stress this enough, FORM FORM FORM. Do it with just the bar and take your time. Send us a form check video. Getting squat form right is a demon that will always haunt everyone. We'll help.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Would you say exercising is just for gaining muscle?

No, it can aid in weight loss as well, but overwhelmingly diet is king when it comes to weight management. It's -almost- everything.

As far as gaining muscle goes, there are no other options than a workout program. You can't diet some joocy quads.

TTOOLL

I'll try the bar tomorrow and... squats? It's better to alternate squats and DL?

I have now 3 exercises to add to my routine, thanks, Vince! But I don't know where to put them =D

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I'll try the bar tomorrow and... squats? It's better to alternate squats and DL?

I have now 3 exercises to add to my routine, thanks, Vince! But I don't know where to put them =D

I'd also recommend dips to replace your tricep pushdowns, but it depends on your tricep strength. Try some dips and see how you do.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Question about the cutting phase, cause i cant find the answer in the OP, but i assume if im ingesting a lot of whole milk, peanut butter and protein etc etc, and i decide to start cutting, two questions;

- as far as diet is concerned because i need to intake at a deficit, am i cutting both protein intake and calories or just the calories?

-and as far as the workout goes, does my weight workout continue as normal, just with less food?

Ive never been able to successfully cut. I have always had a layer of fat around me no matter what ive tried so i always have a hard time doing this. Any tricks would help.

TTOOLL

I'd also recommend dips to replace your tricep pushdowns, but it depends on your tricep strength. Try some dips and see how you do.

I'll try and report as soon as I can, sir!

so, what about this..

PLAN A (all 3x15)
Barbell bench press
Incline Barbell bench press
Machine Fly
Dips
Squats
Seated calf raise
Plank

PLAN B (all 3x15)
Pullups
T bar lying row
Cable seated row
Dumbbell bicep curl
Dumbbell Hammer curl
DL
Lying leg curls
Thigh adductor
Dumbbell shoulder press
Crunches

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
Good news! Saw my Dr today and she knows her shit, runs a crossfit center, so I refer to her for injuries. Said that I can squat through the pain just not max effort weight. Said to stretch the shit out of it, which I've been doing, but that I'll need deep tissue massage to accelerate recovery.

With that good news and 4hrs of sleep, I just went a bit heavier than 275 today. Did 150-225-275-315-325-335-345-365x5 and 225x20 after for a stretch. There was decent pain on the top sets but it also felt good for the rest of my body. Two months off and a groin tear and there's still some strenf left in my legs lol. I'll reevaluate after each session and see where I should go from there

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom