• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT7| #Swelfies, Trap Lords, and Quadzilla

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, new here and looking for advice. My goal is to go from 220 to 200 this year. Most of my fat is concentrated around my thighs though. I have a cardio workout and currently do it every day along with moderate weight lifting. I also cut most meat and carbs out of my diet, good plan so far?

Szu

Chipotle!! Extra steak!!!!

Edit: holy shit!!!! I'm no longer a junior!!! Wooooot!!

arnold_handshake_explosion.gif

Hey guys, new here and looking for advice. My goal is to go from 220 to 200 this year. Most of my fat is concentrated around my thighs though. I have a cardio workout and currently do it every day along with moderate weight lifting. I also cut most meat and cards out of my diet, good plan so far?

Might need a bit more detail on your diet there.

If you've cut out most meat and carbs (I assume that's what you meant), does that mean you're pretty much only eating fat? Or do you mean that you cut out certain types of meat and carbs?

Might need a bit more detail on your diet there.

If you've cut out most meat and carbs (I assume that's what you meant), does that mean you're pretty much only eating fat? Or do you mean that you cut out certain types of meat and carbs?

I eat Cheeeios with 2 percent milk for breakfast, typically a salad of with cranberries, broccoli and oranges for lunch and a baked white meat, fish or chicken, with steamed rice and veggies for dinner.

Not sure about the Cheerios (I have no idea what's in them), but everything else there sounds reasonable. Would be surprised if you were getting enough calories there though. By my reckoning that's about 1200 kcal that you've got there... so you must be getting calories elsewhere, or you're going to be wasting away.

Is foam rolling worth doing when you already have DOMS or is it too late by that point? I'm a little concerned that it may be too painful to actually do.

Leg day has destroyed my quads yet again. :(

Cudder

Hey guys, new here and looking for advice. My goal is to go from 220 to 200 this year. Most of my fat is concentrated around my thighs though. I have a cardio workout and currently do it every day along with moderate weight lifting. I also cut most meat and carbs out of my diet, good plan so far?

220->200 isn't really that much. I don't think you'd have to make significant changes to your diet to get to 200. Just eat a bit less each day. the cardio will help with the calorie deficit too.

220->200 isn't really that much. I don't think you'd have to make significant changes to your diet to get to 200. Just eat a bit less each day. the cardio will help with the calorie deficit too.

That's my attempt at lowballing it. I'd like to loose more, but I don't want to disappoint myself

Here's my cardio routine BTW for anyone interested, though I change it depending on time/how I'm feeling. Can anyone tell me if this is good for losing weight, or is running not very efficient?

M) 2 miles @ 6mph
T) warmup 10 min jog, 2 min rest, 3 x 1 mile, between 6.6-6.8mph w/ 1.5 min rest inbetween, 5-10 min cool down.
W) 2 miles @ 6mph
R) 10 min warmup, 25 minute fartlek (2 min @ 7.0, 2 min easy jogging alternating), 5-10 min cool down
F) 2 miles
Sa) 4 miles jogging, with only a 1 min walking break at most.
Su) 2 miles

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Your workouts seem short because you don't have the proper equipment. When the weight is heavy enough, long rest periods between sets are mandatory. Your workout plan would take me three hours to complete.

When I started out, I used to use dumbbells for deadlifts, even power clean when traveling to hotels or at the office. It was somewhat worthwhile until it got easy, but please invest in a gym. Cut back on something else, like cigarettes, parking fees, time with your significant other or whatever else is holding you back.

Interesting. I don't want to get a gym membership and go all the time at night, I just don't have time to do gym, cook, get stuff ready for the following day, and have some time to relax. I just wanted to get in a decent lifting plan with what we have to supplement my cardio, because it helps lose weight and tone a bit.

For reference I usually do stuff like P90X and T25, I've just decided to switch to some basic weights + cardio now.

You can do arms and abs exercises after every workout if you want to and have time, but the leg press, bench, overhead press, deadlift and rows have to be the focus of your workout. Remember that if you can complete the 3 sets of 5 then you must increase the weight next time, so the whole routine won't take you just 20 minutes after a few sessions.

Thanks for the tips. I guess I just saw 4 or 5 workouts and low set counts and figured even with heavy weight and a minute or two rest in between it wouldn't take a ton of time. I'll start this next week and see how it goes. I just wanted to make sure I hit all the body areas I could with the simple program, alongside my cardio.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
What does "hitched" mean in this context?

Use your legs to support the weight. You can see him do it when he stops his upward movement, leans back and wrenches his arms against it. It looks like he's bouncing the barbell up. That's when he's hitching.

frontieruk

Is foam rolling worth doing when you already have DOMS or is it too late by that point? I'm a little concerned that it may be too painful to actually do.

Leg day has destroyed my quads yet again. :(

I find it eases my DOMS, but then I'm a bit twisted and enjoy the foam rolling pain anyway :-

I find it eases my DOMS, but then I'm a bit twisted and enjoy the foam rolling pain anyway :-

I did it a bit. I didn't enjoy it.

Weights question for the thread. Am I right in thinking that if I don't use olympic weights / bar for deadlifts then I'll need to (or rather should) put the weights on some sort of a platform to start with? I'm assuming the bar will be too low otherwise.

Got lost on the last page... amongst all the people showing off their bodies. :mad:

frontieruk

I did it a bit. I didn't enjoy it.

Got lost on the last page... amongst all the people showing off their bodies. :mad:

Olympic bumper plates lift the bar about 20cm off the floor, but this then comes back to controlled vs rapid lowering which was quite a heated subject here.

That's not a vid of you puking right? :D

@frontieruk: Thanks, I'll compare it to my biggest discs on my standard bar. I suspect they're actually a fairly similar amount anyway.

Evening,

So i've been going the gym for a fair few months now 2/3 times a week for a good 2 hours. I'm just wondering if i'm doing all i can. I'm 22, about 6 foot and 13stone.

I pretty much just want to get rid of this beer belly that university has left me with.
When i go the gym i do some weights, for about 30 minutes. Pretty much end up using all my arm muscles with each excercise on the machines. Push ups with the bar, pull downs 3x12 on a weight that i get a good sweat on (Excuse me my gym vocabulary is dreadful)

Then i'll go on the cross trainer for a good 20 minutes (Level 7 setting if that means anything to anyone) Really got a good sweat on now. Then a 5k cycle on the bikes, about the same setting so it's not just a cruise. And finally a 15 minute run on the treadmills with switching between fast pace run and light jog to catch my breate.

Food wise i watch what i eat. I cook my own meals, mainly just chicken breast and pasta. Then plenty of fruit throughout the day and only have water or a smoothy/ fruit juice.
Don't drink or smoke and in my free time i skateboard or just go out (Don't enjoy sitting in doing nothing)

Just wondering if theres anything else i can improve on or if i stick to what i'm doing i should see results eventually?

Thanks

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Evening,

So i've been going the gym for a fair few months now 2/3 times a week for a good 2 hours. I'm just wondering if i'm doing all i can. I'm 22, about 6 foot and 13stone.

I pretty much just want to get rid of this beer belly that university has left me with.
When i go the gym i do some weights, for about 30 minutes. Pretty much end up using all my arm muscles with each excercise on the machines. Push ups with the bar, pull downs 3x12 on a weight that i get a good sweat on (Excuse me my gym vocabulary is dreadful)

Then i'll go on the cross trainer for a good 20 minutes (Level 7 setting if that means anything to anyone) Really got a good sweat on now. Then a 5k cycle on the bikes, about the same setting so it's not just a cruise. And finally a 15 minute run on the treadmills with switching between fast pace run and light jog to catch my breate.

Food wise i watch what i eat. I cook my own meals, mainly just chicken breast and pasta. Then plenty of fruit throughout the day and only have water or a smoothy/ fruit juice.
Don't drink or smoke and in my free time i skateboard or just go out (Don't enjoy sitting in doing nothing)

Just wondering if theres anything else i can improve on or if i stick to what i'm doing i should see results eventually?

Thanks

As long as you've got the diet and resistance training down, you should be good. Other things you can do are planks and stomach vacuum if the gut is due to a distended abdomen (due to sedentary lifestyles). If it's due to anterior pelvic tilt, maybe look into glute bridges, and focus in your hamstrings versus your quadriceps.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Evening,

Thanks

First question is have you read the OP? Second is you're focusing too much on cardio. If you wanna lose fat start with what you're shoving in your mouth.

First question is have you read the OP? Second is you're focusing too much on cardio. If you wanna lose fat start with what you're shoving in your mouth.

I haven't no, i thought i'd get straight to the point and ask what i'd like to know.

I've cut down looooads compared to what i used to eat normally so i guess it's just a matter of time?

I must be wrong in thinking cardio will just burn away fat if you keep doing it?

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I haven't no, i thought i'd get straight to the point and ask what i'd like to know.

I've cut down looooads compared to what i used to eat normally so i guess it's just a matter of time?

I must be wrong in thinking cardio will just burn away fat if you keep doing it?

The OP is very informative. Try starting there. People over the years have been adding to it. It's there for a reason, it's a great source of information. And you can't out cardio a shit diet.

BlueTsunami

The best example given of cardio (or weight training) vs. dieting I've read is, what easier? One hour on a treadmill to burn 200 calories? Or not eat that sandwich of equal caloric value? Another being, abs are made in the kitchen.

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member
I'm unofficially starting my first bulk with this delicious meal.

GngBtiZ.jpg

12 eggs, a pound of turkey and a half gallon of milk. I'd better make my lifts tomorrow morning.

sphinx

the piano man
I'm unofficially starting my first bulk with this delicious meal.

GngBtiZ.jpg

12 eggs, a pound of turkey and a half gallon of milk. I'd better make my lifts tomorrow morning.

12 madda facking eggs.... how big are you and what's your weight?

that one serious bulk meal.

my 2 thick german sausages with 4 eggs have been humiliated

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement

It's his first day. You know after a while this vigorous enthusiasm will die down and he will start having trouble downing half of that glorious meal!

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member

5'9 and 190 lbs. I am not strong, but my lifts have been stalling and I'm comfortable with my body composition.

This meal is turning into three progressively slower meal marathon so don't feel humiliated. I bought jumbo eggs and this isn't fun to eat.

BlueTsunami

The max I can do is six eggs, scrambled, lots of butter and need to break up the eggs with cheese. Straight scrambled no cheese is just ugh hardboiled eggs I can pop like pills if they're soft boiled

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member
I'd just be massively impressed if he can finish it. I feel like dying after a 5 egg omelette.

It took me nearly two hours, but it's done. I find it amusing that GOMAD, 2DEAD and intermittent fasting are in OP2, but my meal is unusual. I guess I'm about to find out why tonight.

The first two are kinda just there because well... I mean "you could"... but yeah. The third, there's nothing particularly strange about it, it's just different timing on when you get your calories.

As for your meal, I would never try to eat anything that large in one sitting. Certainly not a two hour sitting! How many calories did that work out as btw? I'm going for something like 2000 with 155g of protein. That's like, my daily allowance. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom