• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT7| #Swelfies, Trap Lords, and Quadzilla

Status
Not open for further replies.

Irobot82

Hey guys, new here and looking for advice. My goal is to go from 220 to 200 this year. Most of my fat is concentrated around my thighs though. I have a cardio workout and currently do it every day along with moderate weight lifting. I also cut most meat and carbs out of my diet, good plan so far?

Question,

You cut out most meat and carbs, so you're just eating fat?

Just for comparison to JF's meal.

rcWNCiR.jpg

(Porridge with berries)

I have 300kcal still to find from somewhere but I just can't be arsed. I want to go to bed soon so I guess I'm going light on calories today.

Szu

I had one of the worst days at the gym. The freezing weather didn't help. I didn't get to properly warm up. My rotator is acting up, so I didn't do any overhead squats. My back and front squats were shit. I didn't have anytime to do any accessory work.

The sad part was that the gym was relatively empty. There hasn't been a huge influx of newbies. My guess the Planet Fitness that's about a quarter a mile away is getting most of the resolutionists.

My workout was still total ASS. If you took the top 5 biggest asses from FitGaf, then combine them to form Asstron: Defender of the Gluteus. My workout was still more ASS than that.

Must gained like 5lbs over the 2 week holiday break.

Back at it now! SO HARD BUT MUST KEEP GOING.

same here, didn't help that my gym was closed half the fucking time. I don't mind eating a lot if I'm getting a good workout. School starts up again so the hours should go back to normal

Sadetar

Aww. Try to keep in touch with the guy! :D

I'm glad you're back to regularly scheduled work out! Just take it slow with your back.

Pretty much... I'm going to try to keep carbs to soup and fruit though. And the occasional Kraft Dinner... Lol. It was super cheap the other day, I get two servings from a box... I won't eat it more than once a week at least.
Hahah, I don't think I will stay in touch. I already forgot his first name (five letter, R maybe involved) and I don't even know his last name. But hey, random encounters are nice as they are. :)

Oh and I am soooo happy for being able to work out again with a normal schedules. Today was pilates. Felt so good after a long break! Tomorrow is a day off and Friday is gym again. :D Can't wait.

How has your working outs been doing? I just admire the fact you do them twice a day.

What comes to food, I should actually recount my calorie intake, but I have been really lazy with it. I have switched my foods as well so I should most likely calculate what there exactly is in my daily smoothies in general.

Amazing how different you look really. Your face seems to have changed a fair bit too, I assume from losing quite a bit of weight.
Trust me, I am more amazed than anybody else. When I started around 10 months ago, I wasn't expecting anything really - I just did what I was told to do.

I have lost quite exactly 50 pounds and I think that my facial bone structure is more visible now. Hahah, I also generally smile more. :p

Sadetar, I have no idea how you looked before but you look great now! Congrats!
Thank you so much for the kind words! I have been working out now nearly 10 months.

The photos on the left are me a bit under a year ago and right ones are from the summer. (Sorry for people who have seem them million times before already)

Sadeater!! Looking great! It shows that you really worked hard to get those legs :D
Oh my, I must have so bad sense of humour (or I am really tired or both) that I find it hilarious that you mistyped my gamertag in that way. SadEater. Now I am thinking did you do it on purpose... :D

Hahah, what comes to legs I have been working with them nearly my whole life: just got myself ridiculously fat and yet biked to everywhere. Now I am just cutting and squatting and trying to see what I find under that all. But hey, thank you for the compliment! ^_^

Nice picture, Sadetar.
Awwww, thanks honey!

It must be the awesome pose! :D

Nice progress Sadetar!
Thank you! :3

I am so overwhelmed by your compliments to be honest! You are all so awesome! <3

I'm unofficially starting my first bulk with this delicious meal.

GngBtiZ.jpg

12 eggs, a pound of turkey and a half gallon of milk. I'd better make my lifts tomorrow morning.
I am somewhat speechless. (And totally hungry.)

Cooper

I am doing a cross-post from Real Pic -thread, but since I actually took a recent pic today of my legs, I thought to post it in here as well. This far I am most satisfied with how my legs look like, but they were quite alright to begin with. Upper body needs a whole lot of work still. I will most likely post proper comparison pics on March, when it would be a whole year of going to gym. Ah, still need to be on a cut.

I'm finally at home where images aren't blocked. Looking great!

Edit: Just saw the before/afters above. I've seen those comparison shots before, but it's still jaw-dropping how much progress you've made. Very motivating!

O.v.e.rlord

Banned
Oh my, I must have so bad sense of humour (or I am really tired or both) that I find it hilarious that you mistyped my gamertag in that way. SadEater. Now I am thinking did you do it on purpose... :D

Hahah, what comes to legs I have been working with them nearly my whole life: just got myself ridiculously fat and yet biked to everywhere. Now I am just cutting and squatting and trying to see what I find under that all. But hey, thank you for the compliment! ^_^

Yeeeeeeah soooo it turns out I saw your name and my brain was like "Sadeater! that totally her name!" Types up the post* goes back and double checks the name* my brain is like "nailed it buddy! Hit post"

Blam! Posted it! Read you response! Started hitting my head against a wall*

My bad! lol Sadetar

(I checked three times before I wrote it this time)

Sup Fitness-GAF, first time poster.

I've dieted and such before, but never really kept track. I just consciously ate less. I was at worst 240lb, and managed to get all the way down 150lb but I was skinny and weak (pretty much a skinnyfat). I worked my way up to lifting heavier weights, putting on some size though I'm not like jacked or anything. I just enjoy seeing the strength increases, I guess.

However I went back and did my Masters and the variable hours and hair-pulling thesis writing really put a number on my eating and exercise habits, and now I'm back up to 200lb (with somehow a 30 waist. It all went to my belly ;A;). I'd say I'm at average strength for my size, I guess...on the big three exercises, I can bench consistently 185lb, squat 225lb and deadlift 255lb. Nothing too crazy. I figure now, being out of school and looking for a job, I can really take the time to hone in my diet and exercise. Actually get a nice, cut build going on.

From calculators online, given my current lifestyle they say my maintenance is 2600-3000 cal depending on calculation methods. Some calculators suggest a 2000cal diet to cut 1-2lb a week, so I figured I'd go with that, and track and see how the weight loss goes. I also started actually giving the time of day to cardio, so I now do 30min-45min of fairly low intensity stuff after I lift weights- running, biking, elliptical. According to the machines, I can burn on average 300-450cal depending on the exercise.

Here's my diet. How does it look GAF?

Breakfast: 3 eggs, 100g egg whites, 1 packet plain oatmeal
Meal 1: 100g apple, 45g peanut butter
Meal 2: 150g salmon, 100g broccoli
Pre Workout: 200g chicken breast, 100g banana
Post Workout: 200g chicken breast, 60g spinach salad, 2 tsp Asian Sesame dressing, 70g white rice
Sleep: 50g cottage cheese

Plus two 29g protein isolate shakes. This should give me a 50% protein/20% carb/30% fat macro breakdown. I've never broken it down like this and properly stuck to it. I took all data from fatsecret.com. Some of the numbers look kind of funny (dat broccoli), which is why I want some feedback...

Tater Tot

"My God... it's full of Starch!"
Aight, another deadlift and squat day. Had a strange feeling that something was wrong. Ever put that weight over your rear delts for a squat and then just notice something off? Well my squat went well but when I went to deadlift, I looked in the mirror to check my form and got damn was that fucked up. No wonder I was so fucking sore last time. This time, I completely locked in my form and felt no tension in my upper back. Just sweet soreness in my legs and lower back like it should be.

all I see is an epic toilet tantrum later, at least for me and that many eggs
Lmao

So I had the man-flu the other day. How long do you usually wait before going back to the gym. I'm itching to and I think my body feels ready, that's probably all that counts. Just interested in your rules of thumb.

Visceir

Ditched gym for a month and couldn't be bothered to keep up with my diet/eating due to various reasons (sickness, moving, holidays). Went to the gym for the first time again yesterday and was a quite bummed how much strenght I had lost.

Here's hoping that "muscle memory" is an actual thing and I'll make the gains back fast.

So I had the man-flu the other day. How long do you usually wait before going back to the gym. I'm itching to and I think my body feels ready, that's probably all that counts. Just interested in your rules of thumb.
I ran hills while pretty sick with a fever and sore throat a couple weeks ago. Felt better the next day, so went to the gym with the intent of just lifting what I could, no set plan since I didn't know how my energy would be. Hit a PR of 150x3 on OHP.

Generally when I'm hacking up a lung, I just do cardio outside to help clear out the mucus. I really feel exercise helps me get over it faster. Then once i'm not leaking fluids I'm back in the gym.

I never lift while sick. Never. I always wait till I'm over it. The couple of times I've done it it's just made me more sick. That and the DOMS I get while sick is just redic. My body tells me to fuck off.

Faiz

It took me nearly two hours, but it's done. I find it amusing that GOMAD, 2DEAD and intermittent fasting are in OP2, but my meal is unusual. I guess I'm about to find out why tonight.

GOMAD and 2DEAD are plans for an entire day. You took half of each and put it into a single meal! The fact that it took two hours says everything.

But hey, you got it down! I have problems eatting enough to really bulk, so frankly I'm impressed as hell.

Here's my diet. How does it look GAF?

Breakfast: 3 eggs, 100g egg whites, 1 packet plain oatmeal
Meal 1: 100g apple, 45g peanut butter
Meal 2: 150g salmon, 100g broccoli
Pre Workout: 200g chicken breast, 100g banana
Post Workout: 200g chicken breast, 60g spinach salad, 2 tsp Asian Sesame dressing, 70g white rice
Sleep: 50g cottage cheese

Plus two 29g protein isolate shakes. This should give me a 50% protein/20% carb/30% fat macro breakdown. I've never broken it down like this and properly stuck to it. I took all data from fatsecret.com. Some of the numbers look kind of funny (dat broccoli), which is why I want some feedback...
That looks like a fucking shitload of protein. Very few people would need that kind of intake.

Maybe consider upping your fat intake a bit?

SeanR1221

Debating if I should bench tonight. I have pain in my bursa area. Not chronic but if I make the benching motion it starts to hurt.

ucx.subacromial.bursitis9.jpg

Gonna try and do a bunch of band pull aparts.

ILoveBish

Awesome body weight day at the gym, 4x5 dips, 4x5 pull ups, and lots of farmer walks.

Going to take a day or 2 off then start 3s week.

TTOOLL

Tried DL and squat today for the first time.....holyshit! I feel like I was wasting my time not doing these.....Thanks for the help, guys, especially Vince!

Based on how my thighs feel today, you could probably do worse than include some weighted mid to high step ups in there too.

It's only accessory stuff, but it's a good all round leg workout.

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member
The first two are kinda just there because well... I mean "you could"... but yeah. The third, there's nothing particularly strange about it, it's just different timing on when you get your calories.

As for your meal, I would never try to eat anything that large in one sitting. Certainly not a two hour sitting! How many calories did that work out as btw? I'm going for something like 2000 with 155g of protein. That's like, my daily allowance. :D

Based on my calculations it was 2804 calories, 242 grams of protein.

Everything came out ok.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Hey fitbros my gf says she wants dem thighs https://38.media.tumblr.com/e8cd8c48a0812da46b407546542068f5/tumblr_mp6nsueTIE1qeu577o3_1280.jpg as one of her fitness goals this year, I've been trying to get her comfortable with the front squat and deadlift any other tips?

Traditional back squat, deadlifts, leg curls, leg extensions, lunges, glute bridges. The two big compound lifts will hit the butt but not as good as say glute bridges. But the totality of it will come from the big two lift in regards to hamstring, quad growth. There's also that kick out machine that hits the glutes, don't know it's name.

That looks like a fucking shitload of protein. Very few people would need that kind of intake.

Maybe consider upping your fat intake a bit?

Hmm will give it a shot. Maybe a 40% protein/40% fat/20% carb ratio? It was a little hard trying to fit all that protein in there.

In terms of carbs it looks ok?

Hmm will give it a shot. Maybe a 40% protein/40% fat/20% carb ratio? It was a little hard trying to fit all that protein in there.

In terms of carbs it looks ok?

Depends what you're trying to achieve really. If you wanted Keto, you'd have to go lower, if you wanted to do a ton of cardio, I'd suggest higher...

Personally, I'd probably start with 40/30/30 and see how I was getting on. It's not worth getting too caught up in the macros as providing you're getting a reasonably balanced diet and watching your calorie intake (and your weight), then you're going to be getting results.

The more complicated you make your diet, the less likely you are to stick to it.

Edit - Oh, and don't believe the calorie numbers on the machines. They're full of shit (I've seen some off by as much as 75% vs a high end heart rate monitor).

Depends what you're trying to achieve really. If you wanted Keto, you'd have to go lower, if you wanted to do a ton of cardio, I'd suggest higher...

Personally, I'd probably start with 40/30/30 and see how I was getting on. It's not worth getting too caught up in the macros as providing you're getting a reasonably balanced diet and watching your calorie intake (and your weight), then you're going to be getting results.

The more complicated you make your diet, the less likely you are to stick to it.

Edit - Oh, and don't believe the calorie numbers on the machines. They're full of shit (I've seen some off by as much as 75% vs a high end heart rate monitor).

In terms of look, highluxury on the first page is pretty much me right now where he was in his bulk, and I'm aiming for his cut look. That would be perfect for me.

I tried Keto once and I felt like I couldn't think. Results came, but I didn't recalculate after I plateaued and fell off track. I do enjoy the cardio a bit, even though now I'll look at those calorie counters with more doubt now lol

I'll rejig the diet to 40/30/30 p/f/c and see how it goes. I guess it's kind of a mental thing right now...I'm wary of putting on weight again, and I guess have been vilifying carbs :( but as long as I hit the right calorie intake I should be fine.

Thanks for all the help so far :)

Fit GAF

Experienced weight lifter used to having the ability to spend at least an hour and a half at the gym training every night. Just had a kid and don't have all that time anymore. I basically have just the 5 weekdays and 45-60 minutes to train at lunch now, at a lame corporate gym.

I'd like to maintain both cardiovascular health and my physique. Any ideas for some new programs? I've been doing 5/3/1 lately because I can get a good workout from that, but that kind of limits me to just weight training and I'd like to get my cardio/ edurance back up as well because I'm going to be chasing a little kid around the house and don't want to be slow dad. But I also still want to be swole dad.

Szu

Fit GAF

Experienced weight lifter used to having the ability to spend at least an hour and a half at the gym training every night. Just had a kid and don't have all that time anymore. I basically have just the 5 weekdays and 45-60 minutes to train at lunch now, at a lame corporate gym.

I'd like to maintain both cardiovascular health and my physique. Any ideas for some new programs? I've been doing 5/3/1 lately because I can get a good workout from that, but that kind of limits me to just weight training and I'd like to get my cardio/ edurance back up as well because I'm going to be chasing a little kid around the house and don't want to be slow dad. But I also still want to be swole dad.

Welcome!!!

I know the feels. I just became a dad last year. I've also been relegated to working out on weekdays. I try to cram my weights into four days. I save one weekday for all cardio and endurance work.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Regarding lifting with children. It may be tough at the early ages but if your gym has a kids club use it. I have three kids and they go with me on average 4 or 5 times week. Such is life. They can get homework done, play DS, or watch TV. It's only an hour or so. Not too bad. Occasionally they bitch about going. Boo hoo.

Szu

If you watch my sandbag loading on my last video you're gonna see a HUGE ASS. Compare. Please respond.

Gonna give FE a run for his monay.

Yes, either you or FE would form the torso of Asstron.

I like how your strongman workouts are more functional. The sandbag makes me think that nobody in FitGaf can dispose of corpses better than you.

There's one at my gym that's actually called the Butt Blaster.

101b.jpg
Yeah we don't have that

Traditional back squat, deadlifts, leg curls, leg extensions, lunges, glute bridges. The two big compound lifts will hit the butt but not as good as say glute bridges. But the totality of it will come from the big two lift in regards to hamstring, quad growth. There's also that kick out machine that hits the glutes, don't know it's name.

Thanks I had her on the bolded on monday ,and she warms up with light kettlebell lunges, I'll introduce the bridges on our next session ;)

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Yes, either you or FE would form the torso of Asstron.

I like how your strongman workouts are more functional. The sandbag makes me think that nobody in FitGaf can dispose of corpses better than you.

Honestly it is better overall IMO. I like it a lot. Not only is it more fun, but it's more applicable to me, especially in my line of work and being a member of the disturbance control team. I've never felt my legs, abs and back get taxed more.

It's also incredibly hard.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
With a role name like that... I'm guessing that you either work in a prison, are a cop, or you're a teacher!

I'm a federal correctional officer. So yeah, I work in a prison. Lol. My username is a good indicator. "Brolic" being slang for strong or jacked and "Gaoler" being old English for jailer. Pronounced the same way.

beanman25

Guys! I've really cut down my soda intake (going for no soda at some point soon), and feel so much better. Waking up with much more energy, and I'm no longer cramping on my runs.

fitness forever!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom