• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT7| #Swelfies, Trap Lords, and Quadzilla

Status
Not open for further replies.

ACE 1991

Man, been out of the gym for like 2.5 weeks and man my lifts have gone way the fuck down. Ugh, I didn't expect to lose strength that quickly.

TTOOLL

Hi Fit-Gaf? Would you help me understand why I am not be able to perform deadlifts three times a week? I did it on Monday (plus squats) and today I'm still exhausted. Should I do something different on Wed and lift again on Friday? I don't know what to do....

On Monday I did 176lbs on squats 5x5 and 150lbs on deadlift 4x5 + 132lbs 1x5

thanks in advance! =D

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Teach me about reverse dieting, GAF.

I have lost about 120 lbs dieting, but to do so I had to do terrible things. I subsist on a 200 calorie diet for most of the week then binge on Saturdays. I each one slice of bread for dinner with a thin slice of meat. For breakfast I'll have a bowl of oatmeal.

Saturdays I'll eat whatever I want. On average I'll gain about 3 to 5 lbs in that one day. On a truly epic day I've gained 8. Its heart breaking but I'll manage to loose it all and also 2 or 3 lbs by the end of the week. Keep in mine when I say truly epic, I mean that I probably only ate about 3-4k on that binge day.
I am about ten lbs away from my goal. That is about a month away. My metabolism is truly fucked. But I want to make a plan to get back to eatting like a human. And from what I've read, that is called reverse dieting. Help me out GAF.

Are you a mouse? Tell me you're a mouse.

Bowser

Hi Fit-Gaf? Would you help me understand why I am not be able to perform deadlifts three times a week? I did it on Monday (plus squats) and today I'm still exhausted. Should I do something different on Wed and lift again on Friday? I don't know what to do....

thanks in advance! =D

You're trying to do heavy deadlifts 75x (5x5x3) a week and wondering why you can't?

There's a reason Stronglifts tells you to only do 1x5 of deadlifts per workout B day or 5/3/1 has one day for of 3 working sets for deadlifts, and that's cause heavy deadlifts are incredibly taxing on the body.

I don't post here too often, but it's worth sharing. My weight has kinda been stuck around 175, and I finally managed to start getting below that. I expect at the end of this week I'll be 170 or even 169. A few lifting achievements:

1) I benched my bodyweight 9 times at the end of my set last week. I'm really sure that I could rep it 10x earlier in my set if I put my mind to it.

2) My workset is finally above three plates on my deadlift (5 reps). I'm also pretty sure that I could lift my weight x2. Maybe rep it if my brain is 100% in line with my want to do it.

Much farther to go, but I think I'm on an upward path, and I can dig it.

BumRush

thanks in advance! =D

Like understand scientifically? I guess your body doesn't want you putting that much stress on your lower back. Don't do 3X per week. Mix in light weight stiff leg DL or power cleans if you can but don't do heavy DL 3X.

TTOOLL

I'll try to do some cardio and abs today. I also have a temporary condition on my shoulder which makes it difficult to perform overhead press and bench press, so I'm kind of limited here. Deadlifts are ok tho.

BumRush

I'll try to do some cardio and abs today. I also have a temporary condition on my shoulder which makes it difficult to perform overhead press and bench press, so I'm kind of limited here. Deadlifts are ok tho.

You'll end up doing damage to your body if you DL 3X per week.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
So my gym doesn't have a lot of heavy lifters and because of that when I squat 400+ or DL 500+ people actually treat it like Bigfoot just walked through the weight room. Stop. Watch. Talk. Things like that. When I left last night after squatting a couple sets at 405 the people at the front desk which is downstairs far away from the weights upstairs said, "Nice job. How heavy was that? We were watching on the camera." Ha. Kinda cool.

entremet

Man, I forgot how legit Keto is. Last time I did was 13 years ago for my first initial weight loss, before I even knew about lifting.

But combining with it calorie counting and deficits from exercise and it's a win button like no other for losing fat.

The satiety is what makes it great. Normal cutting always gave me hunger pangs like no other.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
So my gym doesn't have a lot of heavy lifters and because of that when I squat 400+ or DL 500+ people actually treat it like Bigfoot just walked through the weight room. Stop. Watch. Talk. Things like that. When I left last night after squatting a couple sets at 405 the people at the front desk which is downstairs far away from the weights upstairs said, "Nice job. How heavy was that? We were watching on the camera." Ha. Kinda cool.

Time to find a new gym!

I'm on my third now, lol.

BumRush

Haha badass.

And yeah, FE, I agree with the probiotics. I take one daily and feel amazing. Also, as suggested by God Dayyum, aspagus (steamed) destroys bloat.

mdsfx

So I cant recover fast enough doing squats 3x a week. Thought maybe doing front squats on wednesdays instead, good idea ?
What? I think you can, even if it's not 100% ideal. I did squats 3x pet week with Stronglifts 5x5 and made substantial gains. I think dead lifts are another story.

Faiz

So I cant recover fast enough doing squats 3x a week. Thought maybe doing front squats on wednesdays instead, good idea ?

This was one of the reasons I switched to a 5/3/1 program. I only squat heavy 1 day, and do front squats as an accessory on deadlift day.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Broke the seal, I'm I'm the 220s now. Weighed in at 229 this morning. Gonna see if I can't hit sub 210 before the Refuge Barbell Strongman Classic.

Still losing weight while taking the week off, lol.

HappyHunting

Neo Member
What? I think you can, even if it's not 100% ideal. I did squats 3x pet week with Stronglifts 5x5 and made substantial gains. I think dead lifts are another story.

I think ive made good gains so far it's just that at the current weight it's getting harder and harder on recovery. I feel like it affects my lifts. Stuck on 250 atm right after my first reset... Maybe im just nuts.

This was one of the reasons I switched to a 5/3/1 program. I only squat heavy 1 day, and do front squats as an accessory on deadlift day.

Was thinking keeping 2 days heavy and mid week front.

Cooter

I for one welcome the new aesthetically pleasing Brolic. I knew you'd eventually come over to the dark side with us!

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I for one welcome the new aesthetically pleasing Brolic. I knew you'd eventually come over to the dark side with us!

It's not even about that, it's about competitive advantage. Aesthetics is a nice side effect. At 230lbs + everyone is 6 foot or more. Look at my two comps th videos and the pics, I'm the smallest guy competing. At 200lbs everyone is my height. So I need to get there.

Cooter

It's not even about that, it's about competitive advantage. Aesthetics is a nice side effect. At 230lbs + everyone is 6 foot or more. Look at my two comps th videos and the pics, I'm the smallest guy competing. At 200lbs everyone is my height. So I need to get there.
Oh I know. I'm just enjoying you going through the struggle that is dropping weight with us. You have always been the guy replying to a post about cutting with the 3 cheeseburgers you just had! You're gonna look great and be quick as hell. Not to mention if you maintain anything close to your current numbers your bw to strength ratio will be insane.

ILoveBish

Only got 6 hours of sleep, feel strong but rough. Today is bench day so easiest day for me. Don't expect any issues.

I get this all the time. I'm pretty sure I've had people record me deadlifting. Lots of times where people stop and watch on the big lifts. The dudes working at the gym call me squat guy when I'm logging in.

Man, I forgot how legit Keto is. Last time I did was 13 years ago for my first initial weight loss, before I even knew about lifting.

But combining with it calorie counting and deficits from exercise and it's a win button like no other for losing fat.

The satiety is what makes it great. Normal cutting always gave me hunger pangs like no other.

Keto 4 lyfe.

Broke the seal, I'm I'm the 220s now. Weighed in at 229 this morning. Gonna see if I can't hit sub 210 before the Refuge Barbell Strongman Classic.

Still losing weight while taking the week off, lol.

Good job man.

BumRush

What's your end goal, weight wise?

So my fiancee and I are both looking into getting bikes for leisure and exercise. I doubt we are going to get really into it, so we are looking to keep the bike prices within reasonable amounts.

Do you guys have any idea on whether or not we can get some good bikes for ~$200 each or so? Where would we go for that?

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Oh I know. I'm just enjoying you going through the struggle that is dropping weight with us. You have always been the guy replying to a post about cutting with the 3 cheeseburgers you just had! You're gonna look great and be quick as hell. Not to mention if you maintain anything close to your current numbers your bw to strength ratio will be insane.

Lol, let's hope, and shit, I had a mushroom & Swiss burger and fries last night!

Only got 6 hours of sleep, feel strong but rough. Today is bench day so easiest day for me. Don't expect any issues.

I get this all the time. I'm pretty sure I've had people record me deadlifting. Lots of times where people stop and watch on the big lifts. The dudes working at the gym call me squat guy when I'm logging in.

Keto 4 lyfe.

Good job man.

Thanks.

What's your end goal, weight wise?

Right at about 205 is the goal so I can cut to 199 for competitions at 200.

SeanR1221

I think what I noticed the most from losing weight isn't the slight strength loss, it's the change in how the movement feels. My squat doesn't feel the same and it really throws me off now.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I think what I noticed the most from losing weight isn't the slight strength loss, it's the change in how the movement feels. My squat doesn't feel the same and it really throws me off now.

Leverage change in squat is huge, and numbers take a hit hard in ohp and bench.

A lot of these can be remedied with a sodium bloat during a cut though. Fake mass is helpful.

SeanR1221

Leverage change in squat is huge, and numbers take a hit hard in ohp and bench.

A lot of these can be remedied with a sodium bloat during a cut though. Fake mass is helpful.

Yeah the leverages are all off. My squat feels so shakey and it's not a strength issue. I'm gonna throw in some light high reps in to "re learn" the movement especially since I'm going to be losing more weight.

Cooter

Since dropping 30 lbs my bench has decreased 35lbs, OHP 15, and squat 40. Such is life. You never get used to it. Sucks every time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom