• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fix for PSN Login Issues

Drifters

Well, I changed mine from 1500 to 1492 (optimal setting for DSL/PPPoE connections).

Why would that hurt? Less fragmentation.
Not so much. Reason why you're seeing updates, ded. Srvs and patches work but not actual PSN services is because they most likely require a higher MTU.

Not so much. Reason why you're seeing updates, ded. Srvs and patches work but not actual PSN services is because they most likely require a higher MTU.
IIRC, updates/patches are hosted on CDN servers (Akamai etc). I was able to download game updates even during the 2011 PSN hack debacle.

It's completely separate from the PSN infrastructure, so I don't think it's MTU-related.

AmuroChan

Go to your PC or laptop and determine your optimum size (MTU) that can be sent in 1 lump and not 2 will optimise your bandwidth and login potential.

Its your router that does this.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/94721-mtu-limit-test-change-your-connections-mtu-limit.html

Go to cmd.exe

enter / type ping google.com -f -l 1472

Change by 1 up / down and find maximum number / size YOUR router can ping.

For me it was 1474. Then for MTU it has a 28 bit header, so your MTU = this number + 28.

Hence for my router BT hub 5 UK = 1474 (test) + 28 gives optimum MTU = 1492.

If you put in the lower number it will also work on Ps4, but your bandwidth on Ps4 will be down a small amount

Doesn't 1474 + 28 = 1502?

Assuming I'm doing it correctly as per that post on the first page, this still isn't working for me. My number should be 1464 (+28 = 1492), but I tried both and am still getting errors.

I tried that tutorial but I actually got down to 1400 and still got the error. I'm not supposed to go lower than 1400, but I never got a correct response :p

As a new PS4 owner... if I start playing a (disc) game on the system while PSN is having issues, will I still keep my progress when I can finally sign into my own account? And will the trophies transfer over as well?

As a new PS4 owner... if I start playing a (disc) game on the system while PSN is having issues, will I still keep my progress when I can finally sign into my own account? And will the trophies transfer over as well?

did you regirster/create a psn account before this whole ordeal? if you did then yes, when you log in again it will sync your stuff. if not, i dont think it will work.

cripterion

Doesn't work for me either, "The service is currently undergoing maintenance".

At least I can use Netflix for once, usually I get locked out of all of my games and apps. Still, what a year for PSN. I know this is due to these lizards assholes but you would think they would have it figured out by now...

did you regirster/create a psn account before this whole ordeal? if you did then yes, when you log in again it will sync your stuff. if not, i dont think it will work.

I have a PSN account (from PS3) that I've had for years, but I can't sign into it yet. I don't really want to play anything if nothing will link with the system after I start.

Drifters

IIRC, updates/patches are hosted on CDN servers (Akamai etc). I was able to download game updates even during the 2011 PSN hack debacle.

It's completely separate from the PSN infrastructure, so I don't think it's MTU-related.

Interesting. Odd that those services aren't being affected as well. I suppose that is telling in terms of the DDoS attack.

cripterion

PS4 is completly out of whack, trying to launch any game and it hangs, I go back to the dashboard and there's no controller input anymore, I have to manually unplug the damn console.

Go to your PC or laptop and determine your optimum size (MTU) that can be sent in 1 lump and not 2 will optimise your bandwidth and login potential.

Its your router that does this.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/94721-mtu-limit-test-change-your-connections-mtu-limit.html

Go to cmd.exe

enter / type ping google.com -f -l 1472

Change by 1 up / down and find maximum number / size YOUR router can ping.

For me it was 1474. Then for MTU it has a 28 bit header, so your MTU = this number + 28.

Hence for my router BT hub 5 UK = 1474 (test) + 28 gives optimum MTU = 1492.

If you put in the lower number it will also work on Ps4, but your bandwidth on Ps4 will be down a small amount

Thanks for sharing but sadly it didn't work for me.

Tyrael

Just finished updating my new PS TV and it was not connecting to the PSN.

Then I changed the MTU and it worked! Thanks!

barit

Yep worked for me. Downloading Guilty Gear now. Thanks OP

With default MTU setting I couldn´t connect to PSN but with the setting 1473 it works somehow

Morac

Neo Member
Despite PSN being listed as fully online as of last night, I could not connect at all without changing the MTU to 1473. I actually switched back and forth between 1473 and auto a few times and every time auto would result in a NW-31194-8 error, while 1473 would immediately log in. I have no idea why this is necessary now since auto used to work before Sony started messing with their servers. Even today (Dec 28), any MTU higher than 1477 won't work. I tried a bunch of MTUs and that's the largest that works. The Test Internet Connection then ironically complains my router might not support IP packet fragmentation and PS4 network features might not be "restricted".

The really annoying thing is that if Sony hadn't fiddled with their servers, PSN would have likely been up the morning of the 26th. Instead they screwed up their own servers and it was down an addional day and a half. It's still technically not "up" since the MTU "fix" is required to log in for nearly everyone I've talked to.

Also Sony's us.playstation.com web site still reports under maintenance when I try to log in their, so Sony still has issues. There's no way to report those problems to Sony though.

Rndm

Worked for me, thanks. But I do not get it, I was able to sign in a couple of times earlier this day but not now despite PSN being fully restored. Guess there is still some work to do for them. Anyway, kudos for the trick.

OverHeat

« generous god »
Better trick and work everytime share a Internet connection with you smartphone. Put the network setting of your ps4 to use that wifi connection after it log in switch to your regular connection and you will still be log in.

Rndm

Better trick and work everytime share a Internet connection with you smartphone. Put the network setting of your ps4 to use that wifi connection after it log in switch to your regular connection and you will still be log in.

Not really a better trick as it has its flaws as well; e.g. LAN users who try to get the best connection won't really profit from that, so changing the MTU is better for them.

I feel like changing the MTU is the most simple and fastest way to try first before doing more complicated things and it works for most (all?) users anyway.

Jacob4815

PSN works with 1472, but Sony must fix the thing.
MTU 1492/1500 was perfect before the Lizard Squad attack.

1492 is the value in my router.

OverHeat

« generous god »
Not really a better trick as it has its flaws as well; e.g. LAN users who try to get the best connection won't really profit from that, so changing the MTU is better for them.

I feel like changing the MTU is the most simple and fastest way to try first before doing more complicated things and it works for most (all?) users anyway.
My main connection is LAN, I switch from wifi to LAN with my trick

Chabbles

This actually worked for me, although the test immediately afterwards showed psn down. But i went to psn>sign-in and Bingo.

I was able to get online last night without any changes to my settings but I had no luck getting on tonight. I changed my MTU to 1473 and it is working. Thanks.

Amani

Well, I've tried setting the MTU to 1492, 1490, 1473 and 1470. I get to the sign in screen and everytime I get the "cannot connect to the serer within the time limit" message. If I did the method on the first page correctly my MTU should be 1490, but no dice. Guess I just gotta wait, cuz I'm out of ideas.

Top Bottom