• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fixed Camera Angles appreciation thread

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
This thread is about games with fixed camera angles, or whose camera follows a fixed trajectory that is not controlled by the player. It has some major benefits:

- there is something great about seeing each scene as a work of art from exactly the perspective that the artist intended

- it helps create the illusion that you're seeing one small piece of a much larger world that existed long before you arrived. Whereas being able to examine the environment from every angle often just shows you how small and limited it really is

- it's hard to appreciate all the attention to detail when you're rotating the camera around and the scenery is whipping by. And you are mainly focused on being able to see your character's path, not appreciating the scenery.

- it allows for vastly different perspectives/angles depending on what the artist wants to emphasize

- from a technical perspective, it allows pre-rendered backgrounds with much greater detail than is possible in real-time

Please share some screenshots that show the virtues of good old fixed cameras. Because sometimes you don't want your character's ass to be at the center of your field of view all the time!
JUjGHVR.png

VDTxnyV.jpg

c41YZyQ.jpg

SBDX0zl.png

EvSn3Nc.jpg

ytgKFkN.png

G5MPi4I.jpg

zNoOkwh.jpg

lDBB1hl.jpg

SerTapTap

My favorite implementation of this is probably God of War. It's an on-rails camera that pretty much never gets in your way, which really isn't something I can say about most any 3D action game with fixed camera angles. Every angle is optimized for the combat that will be taking place, and very rarely will an enemy be off screen due to the current panning/zoom.

In addition to the gameplay benefits, God of War's camera angle allows that, well, cinematic (muted booing from crowd) effect of pans and zooms drawing attention to dramatic events in the background/foreground in a way that is very fluid and not immersion-breaking. The games do a great job of showing off the beautifully crafted worlds with the camera, and there's a lot of cool wide angle shots that would never happen with a "cameraman following you" sort of manual cam.

Actual fixed, static camera angles in RPGs are great and nostalgic, but God of War is just crazy good because it's dynamic and suffers almost none of the problem fixed camera angles are known for, and in an action game to boot.

God of War's camera angles are some of the GOAT.

Perfect at depicting the raw scale of some of the environments, and very subtle in how it shifts your attention to a specific point.

god of war games were all good but there were times in ascension that the camera pulled back too far and I couldn't see what was going on. also ascension was glitch for a god of war game.

gelf

I have a soft spot for fixed cameras or director controlled cameras. They can frame a scene in a completely different way to the standard first person or behind the shoulder/arse cams. Its even more refreshing these days as 3rd person games camera control is usually so boringly standardised now.

I miss the old Resident Evil and Final Fantasy pre-rendered backdrops as they framed the scene in a completely different way to how the modern games do it. I'd like to see it more.

Final Fantasy VII
18n94t4piwh31gif.gif

Final Fantasy IX:
18n95ftk7zy9xjpg.jpg

REmake(taken by myself in Dolphin so a bit blurry as not in original res):

Glass Rebel

I'm certainly glad that pre-rendered backgrounds are mostly a thing of the past but I find it a shame that there isn't more experimentation with fixed camera angles.

I like fixed/static cameras as long as they don't impede gameplay (like making simple jumps really difficult due to the angle). I'd love to see a future RE game return to the static cameras of old.

gelf

I'm certainly glad that pre-rendered backgrounds are mostly a thing of the past but I find it a shame that there isn't more experimentation with fixed camera angles.

I want to see 1080p(or above) pre rendered backgrounds. I'd love to see what could be done with that setup. Artistically I think REmake still looks better then the vast majority of games today.

shark sandwich

I still have a soft spot for pre-rendered backgrounds, but I totally agree that there is a lot of potential for fixed camera angles with real-time 3D environments.

Imagine something like Final Fantasy IX rendered in real-time. The camera could follow you at a fixed angle and distance (causing the scenery to scroll past and give you a real sense of depth), It could pan back and forth, it could zoom in and out, etc. And yet still give you a more "cinematic" perspective that draws your attention to the details in the scenery, rather than your character's butt.

Renpatsu

When I think about the idea of 'cinematic' games it isn't the aspect ratio that does it, but rather the framing and composition within the camera. So it's no surprise then that games with fixed camera angles can imbue emphasis towards certain details or suggest a much larger world than what you're seeing through sheer scale.

I wish more games did it.

shark sandwich

When I think about the idea of 'cinematic' games it isn't the aspect ratio that does it, but rather the framing and composition within the camera. So it's no surprise then that games with fixed camera angles can imbue emphasis towards certain details or suggest a much larger world than what you're seeing through sheer scale.

Very true. Sadly I think that since the PSX days, much of the gaming community has just accepted that the ultimate goal of advancing gaming tech is realistic graphics and fully-explorable 3D environments.

Sheroking

There's an atmosphere to a good pre-rendered background that real-time graphics have an extremely difficult time replicating. Only a handful of games like BioShock Infinite have been able to touch that IMO

SerTapTap

Yeah, I think the cinematic angles of God of War are far, far more important to a game being cinematic (in a good way) than low FPS or black bars. GoW don't need no black bars in gameplay.

Those REmake shots are a good example too

Question, folks, does anybody else see a difference between games that have just one fixed background per location, eg. Sanitarium or Final Fantasy 7 or Planescape: Torment...
ss_796bb9a170fae4506611693f0da1cacd786fa455.jpg

...and games that have multiple camera angles per room, ala Resident Evil 1 or Grim Fandango or Alisa?
ss_6342bd789d87a21e74b8e2c72ed5447fe967d174.jpg

I can kinda appreciate the long-distance 'overview' style because it gives you a good sense of a strange or interesting world, but if I'm hanging around there for too long, I get kinda bored of it. I much prefer the fixed multicam approach, where the screen cuts between angles as you move your character around. It can sometimes be a little disorientating, but it feels really exciting and cinematic, and there's some interesting design work required to make it playable, as well as some emerging implications from restricting the player's view like that.

(Sorry if this is a bit of a necro, I just really dig this thread and topic!)

Fbh

Guys you know it's ok to create new threads, right? You don't need to bump 8 years old threads.
But I love fixed camera angles, it's not for every type of game but I really love how it allows devs to create a very specific mood and view. They can often also focus on adding a lot of detail to areas since they don't have to worry about having to make things work from every angle.

There's also some neat gameplay uses. I think more recently Tunic did a great job taking advantage of fixed camera angles.
original.jpeg

There's lots of secrets and shortcuts and hidden paths that are simply hidden by the fixed camera angle. Loved finding shortcuts and coming back to an earlier area from behind some tree or something and being like "wow that was there the whole time?"

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Path of Exile, Diablo series and the original Resident Evil games come to mind.

Last edited:

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
They could still be implemented, but at this point the full emphasis of most games is on character action and almost everything else is merely a background, as detailed as it may be. Few games feature a camera that really allows you to enjoy the scenery from interesting angles, and when they want to show you some more significant view, camera control usually shifts to some point you can’t move it to yourself. Yeah, there’s still some great shots to be made, but it’s just not the same thing. It’s rare that a free camera game will let me frame things in a way that is barely more than purely functional. There’s a reason gamers who were there when prerendered backgrounds were all the rage, still remember most of those backgrounds today.

DaGwaphics

I like fixed/static cameras as long as they don't impede gameplay (like making simple jumps really difficult due to the angle). I'd love to see a future RE game return to the static cameras of old.

They knew how to work the camera to build suspense. Did it make shooting a bit difficult at times, sure. But, I think it made walking around corners feel a lot more dangerous.

Guys you know it's ok to create new threads, right? You don't need to bump 8 years old threads.
Ah, so - basically, I'm a new member, so I can't create new threads. I really wanted to talk about Fixed Camera games and this seemed perfect. =)

Probably worth saying at this point that I run the Fixed Camera Appreciation Society, where I think you can find the most complete (though still wip!) lists of Fixed Camera games on any platform...! (That said, I don't have Resonance of Fate and Mario Galaxy on those lists, must investigate)

Wow, that's a lot of posts. =D

fart town usa fart town usa - God, I desperately wanted to play Resonance of Fate, but there's two things with most JRPGs that I can't handle - random encounters and invisible party members (Chrono Trigger ruined me, possibly). I picked Resonance up, and I'd love to go back to it at some point, but once my teammembers vanished into my body cavity upon leaving the house, I had to put the pad down. Anyhow.

SlimeGooGoo SlimeGooGoo I think 'presentation style' is part of it, but fixed multicam has some other virtues - it allows the developer to very closely control the amount of situational information the player has (and play with suspense), you can strongly frame the player's interest. As you say the drawback is that sometimes it can be disorientating.

I'm not sure it's less work to do multiple camera angles if it's real-time 3D. You still need to dress the sets, light and texture 'em, etc. You don't have the render times, but something like Tormented Souls looks really pretty in 3D and that didn't come easy...!

Fbh Fbh - Maaaaaan, it's ridiculous when you get *into* a topic, you start finding points of distinction. I wouldn't consider Tunic fixed cam, per se, I tend to think of it more as isometric, or an axonometric action adventure. But the player *can't* move the camera around, sooo... Just feels strange to include that game in the same category as something like Alone in the Dark or Resident Evil. Hmm. Like, are traditional Sonic games fixed camera too? I added 'Inside' to our list of Steam games on Fixed Camera Appreciation Society, but I felt that was something of an exception because of the really careful, deliberate camera work in that game. Hmm.

Xeaker Xeaker - Ooh, Baten Kaitos looks nice. I'll add that to the 'overview' list on the Appreciation Society.

NeoIkaruGAF NeoIkaruGAF - Ehh, they're still making them. =D Alisa and Tormented Souls are less than a year old. It's a niche, but it seems fairly healthy.

Calverz Calverz - I'd love to play Until Dawn. I have Man of Medan and Little Hope waiting around until I can get some friends together to play them with...

GymWolf GymWolf - Sorry to keep pushing this game, but if you like how Resi Remake looks, consider taking a look at Tormented Souls. It's actually... pretty damned good. Played through it with a friend and we were both surprised by how good it looked and played. Some fiendish puzzles there.

DaGwaphics DaGwaphics - Completely agree.

radewagon

Excuse me while I gush nostalgic. My favorite fixed camera moments:
  • Entering a room, accidentally leaving the room due to the perspective change. Going back into the room. Making the same stupid mistake a second time.
  • Enemy comes at me (a hunter most likely). Try to run away. There's a perspective change. Get confused. Time to run towards the enemy instead.
  • Mashing buttons while sliding along the walls looking for sparkly things in the environment.
I like fixed camera, but it had serious limitations. I'm okay that it's mostly gone now.

Played some RE0 yesterday, fixed cameras ftw! Besides being gorgeous to look at, they free the player to focus on controlling the character and not worry about controlling the camera, something I've come to appreciate depending on the game/series I'm playing. I prefer the mood fixed camera games usually give off

Fbh

Fbh Fbh - Maaaaaan, it's ridiculous when you get *into* a topic, you start finding points of distinction. I wouldn't consider Tunic fixed cam, per se, I tend to think of it more as isometric, or an axonometric action adventure. But the player *can't* move the camera around, sooo... Just feels strange to include that game in the same category as something like Alone in the Dark or Resident Evil. Hmm. Like, are traditional Sonic games fixed camera too? I added 'Inside' to our list of Steam games on Fixed Camera Appreciation Society, but I felt that was something of an exception because of the really careful, deliberate camera work in that game. Hmm.

I get your point and I agree it's more of an isometric game, though I still think it applies more than Sonic since it's a game with 3D environments and 3D movement but with fixed camera angles as opposed to something like Classic Sonic which is a 2D game. I mostly mentioned it because it came to mind as a recent example of level design and gameplay being enhanced by fixed camera angles.

My actual favorite use of fixed cameras are older JRPG's. I think they are one of the reasons Ps1 and Ps2 era JRPG's had some of the mos visually striking and memorable worlds:
tumblr_othw1w5mwL1tln6w5o7_r2_540.gifv

3qAmVrC.gif

radewagon radewagon - Weeealll, mashing the 'use' button in that way, some would say the same of Doom back in the day. Most modern fixed cam games don't do that either. =D
Regards the first perspective change issue - that's usually down to camera-relative controls and two opposing camera angles, which isn't exactly best practices for fixed cams. Honestly, there might also be some input innovations that can overcome that issue... and if you feel like using tank controls, it's not a problem at all. =D

AJUMP23 AJUMP23 - Yep. That's why I tend to think Fixed Camera as a term is most usefully applied to games in 3D with a somewhat cinematic approach. I mean, if we're just talking about cameras the player can't affect directly, I might as well reference Space War...!
7877af06d553cfae8ee78ab718c1b336.jpg

ProgenitorCastle ProgenitorCastle - Ayyy, agreed. If you really dig 'em, consider joining the Fixed Camera Appreciation Society. =P

Fbh Fbh - I get your point that Tunic is made from 3D assets, but given the model it was seeking to emulate was 2D emulating 3D anyhooo... (plenty of secrets hidden behind rocks and plants there...!)
Zelda_chicken.jpg

I dunno. It's a tricky one. I do see your argument that Tunic gets a lot out of using a fixed camera in order to obfuscate and surprise.

Maybe I need to find another term for the games I tend to mean when I say 'fixed camera'. I've recently started using 'fixed multicam', implying that there has to be multiple camera angles per room in order to qualify.

(Love the Chrono Cross image! We do include JRPG-style overviews on the Fixed Camera Appreciation Society, but we've kinda broken them of into their own list on the discussion forum (as Steam Groups can't have multiple lists of 'Associated Games'))

adamsapple adamsapple - Tormented Souls is very decent indeed. Relatively little pivot cam (pet peeve of mine), some nice dolly shots. In a way I'd prefer more static camera angles because it feels like more 'decisive' direction than where you can just wander around, but still, I had an absolute ball with it.

Top Bottom