• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Flaw in Switch firmware draining GPU resources. Will be fixed, improving performance.

I have read on another site that this was related to the auto connect wifi feature, with some people claiming better framerates in Zelda simply by playing with that feature disabled or a lan adapter enabled. Can anyone confirm this?

shiyrley

Banned
I hope they fix my glitched RGB setting that's stuck on limited, I feel like I'm the only one with this issue though so it may never work right.
I had this issue before installing the day one Switch update. Installed it, instantly fixed, full RGB for my monitor no problem.

foltzie1

theres also a flaw in the firmware that doesn't allow me to backup saves

himZD0M.gif

ultrazilla

I turned off wifi and auto connect under system settings-Internet connection and can confirm Zelda runs much better in docked/tv mode. There is still minor frame rate hitches here and there but *nowhere* near prevalent as before. With the fix and some software optimization for Zelda from Nintendo, I have no doubts they'll get a locked 30fps in tv mode.

If anyone else can do this and report their findings here would be ace as well!

I turned off wifi and auto connect under system settings-Internet connection and can confirm Zelda runs much better in docked/tv mode. There is still minor frame rate hitches here and there but *nowhere* near prevalent as before. With the fix and some software optimization for Zelda from Nintendo, I have no doubts they'll get a locked 30fps in tv mode.

If anyone else can do this and report their findings here would be ace as well!

This is what I was hoping. So the issue could possibly manifest even if you have a stable wifi signal? That would really be the only explanation as to why the bug has effected so many people. I would love for Digital Foundry to take another crack at this!

So I didn't start to imagine things! I actually turned WiFi Auto-Connect off because I took my Switch to a friend and his internet line isn't the best (600kb/s down) and I didn't re-enable the setting yet. Yesterday when I played Zelda in docked mode again I thought it was running better than usual and this explains why.

That seems...odd. Are you sure your TV supports full? Does not sound like a software bug at all.

Of course, when I change settings there's no flicker of the screen like most people get. First thing I do when setting up a console is extensively go through the settings and make sure everything is proper.

I had this issue before installing the day one Switch update. Installed it, instantly fixed, full RGB for my monitor no problem.

Hmm well I already installed that of course, here's hoping the next firmware fixes it then. Good to know I wasn't the only one.

kubev

I doubt that this will improve BotW's performance considerably if the same means of v-sync is still in use.

Hermii

That would be really ironic. Hope its true, cause its hard for my to think that Nintendo is going to patch the game. It doesn't sound like they were rushing it out the gate.
The ported the most technically ambitious game they ever made in around a year for the launch of a new platform. Mostly working on non final hardware.

It's safe to say it could have been better, and I won't be surprised is they patch it. They will continue to work on the game anyway for dlc.

ultrazilla

This is what I was hoping. So the issue could possibly manifest even if you have a stable wifi signal? That would really be the only explanation as to why the bug has effected so many people. I would love for Digital Foundry to take another crack at this!

I'm pretty sure DF will re-visit Zelda when Nintendo patches it.

My brother is heading home from work and is going to test this as well. I want to make sure I don't have a "placebo" effect going on with my vision. :)

muteant

no offense but considering it seems many initially experienced a placebo effect with respect to the effects that the day 1 firmware and game updates had upon BOTW's framerate, i remain skeptical (even of my own experience) until we get a proper framerate analysis.

no offense but considering it seems many initially experienced a placebo effect with respect to the effects that the day 1 firmware and game updates had upon BOTW's framerate, i remain skeptical (even of my own experience) until we get a proper framerate analysis.

Agreed.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
I understand that people like to post memes but this isn't an improvement or a boost, this is a correction, switch and its games run slower than they should, with the patch they will run as they should, nothing more.

ultrazilla

None taken. I'm waiting to read some other opinions on this here and so far nobody has tried this?! Everyone must be busy playing it instead of testing the wifi/internet issue. ;)

Donnie

Just got my Switch and Zelda is coming on Wednesday (had to spend 3 hours wondering round shops yesterday and today to finally find one Switch in stock but no Zelda so had to order from ebay).

So I think what I'm going to do is start the game with this auto Wifi thing disabled. Then after a hour I'll start from the beginning again with it enabled. I think, assuming their really is any difference, then making framerate worse after first experiencing normal framerate would be most obvious. Or does the first hour of the game not suffer from any major framerate problems?).

Dremorak

Banned
Just got my Switch and Zelda is coming on Wednesday (had to spend 3 hours wondering round shops yesterday and today to finally find one Switch in stock but no Zelda so had to order from ebay).

So I think what I'm going to do is start the game with this auto Wifi thing disabled. Then after a hour I'll start from the beginning again with it enabled. I think, assuming their really is any difference, then making framerate worse after first experiencing normal framerate would be most obvious. Or does the first hour of the game not suffer from any major framerate problems?).

The first hour is the worst for it. I went back to that area and if there was any improvement it was minor.

Zee-Row

Banned
Is that why Zelda sometimes gets all jittery sometimes during combat? I'm not talking about frame drops , it sometimes looks like the screen is shaking when there's a lot of stuff happening on the screen.

Persona7

Banned
I have read on another site that this was related to the auto connect wifi feature, with some people claiming better framerates in Zelda simply by playing with that feature disabled or a lan adapter enabled. Can anyone confirm this?

Complete dog shit. I played with wifi disabled and the LAN adapter since launch day and still notice constant frame drops.

This whole wifi thing sounds like nonsense to me, but I'd love to be proven wrong. As for the performance bug in the os, I'm glad it'll be patched.

morpix

Cant wait to see what it does in Zelda... Also, hope they fix the HDMI pinging in sleep mode. Drives my away from docked mode honestly.

A brand new console has firmware bugs that need to be fixed. Who would have thought?

Good that they acknowledged it and a fix is coming.

SpokkX

Does not affect fps att all in Zelda as far as i can tell. At least not the drops at the start with the grass

Still lags :(

Coda

Can't seem to find the turn Wi-Fi searching by default option in the System Settings.

Edit: Nevermind, found it in the actual network settings. So if I turn it off does that mean every time I want to go online I have to manually do it? Really hope they fix this issue soon altogether.

ultrazilla

My two other brothers both have a Switch and Zelda and both have turned off auto connect for the Switch's internet connection. They both say they've noticed less stuttering/frame rate drops and I have as well. There still *is* stutter/frame rate hits when you take Link into some dense woods/vegetation areas but I have noticed much less stutter in the game overall. This is TV MODE of course. Handheld performance is great.

My two other brothers both have a Switch and Zelda and both have turned off auto connect for the Switch's internet connection. They both say they've noticed less stuttering/frame rate drops and I have as well. There still *is* stutter/frame rate hits when you take Link into some dense woods/vegetation areas but I have noticed much less stutter in the game overall. This is TV MODE of course. Handheld performance is great.
That's cool. I will turn off autocorrect later and see if it's a notable difference.

i'll give the no wifi thing a test tonight, honestly would not shock me if this was the cause for a few of the frame drops in zelda but i've yet to have any kind of visible issue with fast.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Yeah, tried the "fix" in Faron Woods (which is the area where the framerate drops are immediately repeatable at any point - the rest depending on the combination of the weather, grass, alpha, enemies) and it did nothing, still borderline unplayable.

But nice placebo nonetheless.

Rodin

Yeah, tried the "fix" in Faron Woods (which is the area where the framerate drops are immediately repeatable at any point - the rest depending on the combination of the weather, grass, alpha, enemies) and it did nothing, still borderline unplayable.

But nice placebo nonetheless.
Says nowhere that it fixes all the drops.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Says nowhere that it fixes all the drops.

As I said, these drops are repeatable, the other depend on a number of factors. so to say it solves anything you should actually reproduce the exact same scenario that caused the drops.

Top Bottom