• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Florida Gov. Declares State Of Emergency Over Hurricane Irma (Up: clean-up begins)

MrJames

Latest observations from the Air Force Hurricane Hunters had
flight-level winds that corresponded to surface winds near 110 kt.
Thus, given sampling considerations, the 115-kt intensity is
retained for this advisory. Irma should maintain this intensity
until the center reaches the southwest Florida coast, and then begin
to weaken while the system interacts with the landmass of the
Florida peninsula. Increasing southwesterly shear associated with
an upper-level trough should also cause weakening of the hurricane
during the next day or so. More rapid weakening is likely after Irma
moves into the southeastern United States in 24-36 hours, and the
cyclone should weaken to a remnant low in 72 hours or sooner. The
official intensity forecast is close to the simple and corrected
consensus models.

The center of Irma wobbled more northward over the past few hours
and the initial motion estimate is about 350/8 kt. Irma is embedded
within a broad mid-level gyre over the Gulf of Mexico. The cyclone
is expected to be steered north-northwestward at a faster forward
speed over the next day or two on the eastern side of the gyre. This
will take Irma inland over northern Florida early on Monday and the
southeastern United States over the next couple of days. The track
guidance remains fairly tightly clustered with the ECMWF track a
little to the left and slower than the other models. The official
track forecast lies between the model consensus and the ECMWF
solution. This is just slightly east of the previous official
forecast.

Tovarisc

BREAKING: A construction crane in downtown Miami has cracked, a city official says
DJXu275W0AAfwpy.jpg
https://twitter.com/CNN/status/906893529787650048

Spinluck

Nothing short of a massive oil fire is gonna say lit in this though right? Like there's too much rain pouring down for sparking power lines to create actual lasting fires?

Safe to say fires won't be a concern.

People just need to be careful once the storm passes. There may be downed power lines and still water/puddles everywhere.

FPL (Florida Power & Light) stresses this heavily after every one of these storms.

A high school friend of mine who has a daughter with cancer, evacuated with his family to Memphis Tennessee from Sarasota Florida. Now the daughter's health deteriorated and he is in the children's hospital there. What a shitshow

Memphis has some reallllly high quality children's hospitals, so one good thing out of that nightmare is that she is in some good hands.

AyzOn

Neo Member
This might be a dumb question, and while I´m watching jeffs stream I dont expect to see it but I´m just curious, could you actually see the hurricane? or wouldnt you even notice that youre right next to it aside of the obviously increased speeds of wind until youre in the eye?

Dark Nyte

Neo Member
dZA4aH5.jpg

Long time lurker, so I hope I'm posting this correctly. Taken from the top of the parking garage at one of the major hospitals in Tampa Bay, overlooking downtown Tampa. Top is last night, and bottom is about an hour ago. Hospital is bracing for possible flooding since we are literally on an island.

Thank you, Chairhome.

ZmYJL

Long time lurker, so I hope I'm posting this correctly. Taken from the top of the parking garage at one of the major hospitals in Tampa Bay, overlooking downtown Tampa. Top is last night, and bottom is about an hour ago. Hospital is bracing for possible flooding since we are literally on an island.
Image doesn't show up for me

Chairhome

ZmYJL

You want the link with the jpg.
dZA4aH5.jpg

____

I wonder what the thought process was behind leaving this thing standing when they knew this storm was coming? I'm sure it's not easy to remove, but they've had some time. That looks dangerous as hell.

I believe they said there are 20+ of them.

Yes there are 20+ between Downtown Miami, Midtown, Miami Beach and Brickell.

Apparently they removed some elements of the cranes and anchored them so that they would swing freely like weather vanes. I don’t think it would’ve been feasible to remove them but I also didn’t think letting them swing around and around was the best idea either. There are also engineers smarter than I am that can explain how/why lol.

This might be a dumb question, and while I´m watching jeffs stream I dont expect to see it but I´m just curious, could you actually see the hurricane? or wouldnt you even notice that youre right next to it aside of the obviously increased speeds of wind until youre in the eye?
Uhhh what? You're kind of always in it, it's a gradual thing and it's not a tornado, those satellite images of those clouds swirling... they don't touch the ground. You can't see it like you're thinking.

AyzOn

Neo Member
Uhhh what? You're kind of always in it, it's a gradual thing and it's not a tornado, those satellite images of those clouds swirling... they don't touch the ground. You can't see it like you're thinking.
Ahhh okay, as I said probably a dumb question, kinda thought of it being like a tornado. Alrighty then.

Vestal

Gold Member
Heard it on the radio. Close call on being on a building still under construction.

There are a few cranes by my neighborhood. Hopefully those are still up.

They aren't going to shift it too much since this east wobble is more due to an ERC.

Top Bottom