• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Florida Gov. Declares State Of Emergency Over Hurricane Irma (Up: clean-up begins)

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Many people consider their pets part of the family.

Yup.

If I had to pick between a human or my dog, I'd obviously pick the human but I'm not going to completely forget about my dog because of a hurricane. Protecting my doggy is a priority, too.

gwarm01

My wife just said she's happy we don't live in Florida anymore because I would be one of those idiots outside standing in the 120 mph wind. She's not wrong :(

MrJames

GFS and UKMet shifted east overnight. The Euro stayed west but Irma has been moving almost due north the past few hours. Something needs to change with the NHC track.

GwF5IrT.gif

Linkura

Apparently Disney World learned from the $12 strugglewich fiasco during Matthew and better box breakfasts and lunches are available for only $6 this time. The pricier resorts also have some regular food places open. Plus they are staggering people's meal times to avoid rushes. You would think this would have been common sense, but at least they learned from last time.

Necrovex

I'm sorry, I have a dog and my kids love the dog ... but under NO circumstances would I put my family in danger for any animal. I just can't understand the mindset of people who do things like that.

I'm with you on that. If a pet can be brought along, great, if not, it's a shame but priorities deem your (human) family should come first.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Apparently Disney World learned from the $12 strugglewich fiasco during Matthew and better box breakfasts and lunches are available for only $6 this time. The pricier resorts also have some regular food places open. Plus they are staggering people's meal times to avoid rushes. You would think this would have been common sense, but at least they learned from last time.

What's this about? Google didn't bring up anything.

Sounds like Disney has some shelters or something?

III-V

Not raining but occasionally gusty here in Tampa. Preparing to get the worst of it this evening and tonight. Surprised to hear Jacksonville (3 ours North East of here) already getting some bad storms and localized power outages.

Mindlog

Did you board up your windows?

Yup....

https://i.imgur.com/8qci8ij.jpg
I had so many happy-sad laughs at those setups. I saw so many of them. I couldn't bring myself to take pictures. I saw a house that only had enough wood to partially cover 2 of many windows. I'm expecting the absolute worst for the area, but my family and I are completely safe and well supplied. I have a lot of friends out there though. They're all heading to newer houses and I'm hoping our building codes are as strict as those in southern Florida because we're probably going to see the eye. Even then the eye won't be the worst of it all. I'm hoping for the best, but the danger of the back half of the hurricane concerns me the most for those in the area.

Sore as hell from all the last minute boarding we were doing so I'll probably sleep like a baby the next chance I get. Also, expect a baby boom in about 9 months.

Stay safe!

dickroach

just talked to my parents down in Boca. they said everything was cool, but every couple of minutes they'd go "whoa". so i guess the gusts are starting to hit palm beach county

III-V

Those tornado chasers out there with 117 gusts, I imagine that is something akin to standing outside in an F1 tornado - or am I mistaken?

Many people consider their pets part of the family.

It's not even just that. For me it's the thought process. You can tell your family a hurricane is coming. A pet will just have no idea what's going on and be terrified. If I wasn't human the one thing I'd want in that environment would be the human I can trust more than anything else. At least that's my reasoning anyway.

Oddly the thought of having to ride this out with no idea what's happening is scarier to me, but by extension it makes me extremely sympathetic to the pets and wildlife that will be caught in this.

Those tornado chasers out there with 117 gusts, I imagine that is something akin to standing outside in an F1 tornado - or am I mistaken?
I'm not entirely sure, but it seems more like standing on top of a Cessna in flight on a very windy day where a tornado would feel like a washing machine or a big wave because of how volatile the wind would be. Up, down, left, right, twisting etc. Not a steady wind with gusts in one direction.

One day this is gonna go terribly wrong..

I wouldn't be surprised if it was staged by the news.
Speaking of staging by the news, I bet CNN used a socket wrench to take down the two signs by the woman reporter in (Miami Beach?). Some of them are really hamming it up for the camera and it's just stupid.

III-V

I'm not entirely sure, but it seems more like standing on top of a Cessna in flight on a very windy day where a tornado would feel like a washing machine or a big wave because of how volatile the wind would be. Up, down, left, right, twisting etc. Not a steady wind with gusts in one direction.

This makes sense, you are probably correct.

MrJames

Not raining but occasionally gusty here in Tampa. Preparing to get the worst of it this evening and tonight. Surprised to hear Jacksonville (3 ours North East of here) already getting some bad storms and localized power outages.

That's not even Irma. We have a nor'easter coming through. Just checked JEA, there are 2,344 outages right now.

I had so many happy-sad laughs at those setups. I saw so many of them. I couldn't bring myself to take pictures. I saw a house that only had enough wood to partially cover 2 of many windows. I'm expecting the absolute worst for the area, but my family and I are completely safe and well supplied. I have a lot of friends out there though. They're all heading to newer houses and I'm hoping our building codes are as strict as those in southern Florida because we're probably going to see the eye. Even then the eye won't be the worst of it all. I'm hoping for the best, but the danger of the back half of the hurricane concerns me the most for those in the area.

Sore as hell from all the last minute boarding we were doing so I'll probably sleep like a baby the next chance I get. Also, expect a baby boom in about 9 months.

Stay safe!

I had to board up 2 houses yesterday plus clear debris out of the yard of another. My right arm cramped up trying to shampoo my hair. I'm in decent shape but my whole body is hurting today.

Top Bottom