• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Florida Judge to Take-Two: No Bully until I get to play it first

Hopefully this will not become a precedent where judges get to decide what' we can play or not?

There is more to this, and I will transcribe four pages of notes as soon as I can with further update below, but in the end, here are the two possible outcomes:

(A) If the judge finds the game acceptable, life goes on and it ships. At this point Jack Thompson will have access to finally play of the game and decide whether or not the content in the game is worth pursuit. He said, “I’ll drop the whole thing” if he feels his allegations were mistaken, but presumes the worse for various factors which I’ll describe in later updates.

(B) If the judge does find the game offensive — and he’s willing to sit with a Take-Two employee and direct him through open-ended missions for over the 100 hours of gameplay, he will file a temporary restraining order which will prevent the sale of the game to minors.

The rest of the stroy is at Destructoid

madmook

It's a 100-hour game? Doubtful, but that's another topic, this shit is stupid. Wasn't JT's license to practice law in Florida revoked?

Dahbomb

A judge sits through 100 hours of play? This is probably the most fair way to judge a game like this, but chances are the play time will be truncated and the judge will just give an "overall" ruling on the game.

adg1034

replicashooter said:
What a sad reflection of the pussy ass world we live in these days.

Where is Guy Fawkes when you need him?

fawkes.jpg

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
skybaby said:
Here I am, thinking the same thing to myself. How about a law to make shops force those ratings sir?
Ratings are only suggestions, but some stores have policies in place that you can get fired for selling M rated games to minors.

Link

The Autumn Wind
skybaby said:
Here I am, thinking the same thing to myself. How about a law to make shops force those ratings sir?
Not that I agree with this judge at all, but there are plenty of people, including a bunch on this forum, who don't believe there should be a law restricting M-rated game sales to minors.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Last time I checked we had freedom of expression in this country. If I want to make a game about shooting small children there isnt a ****ING thing some judge in florida can do about it. This is horse shit on so many levels.

If game stores want to restrict game sales to over a certain age, thats there business. Its also a parents job to make sure there kid isnt playing Cabelas Small Child Hunter. Its not a judges call

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
There are a lot of games that shouldn't be sold to minors.

StoOgE said:
Last time I checked we had freedom of expression in this country. If I want to make a game about shooting small children there isnt a ****ING thing some judge in florida can do about it. This is horse shit on so many levels.

If game stores want to restrict game sales to over a certain age, thats there business. Its also a parents job to make sure there kid isnt playing Cabelas Small Child Hunter. Its not a judges call

Your freedom of expression stops right when you're a woman and decide to show your boobs on TV.

Plus, this has nothing to do with freedom of expression. You can make any game you want, this is restricting the rights of minors. Just like you can print all the stuff you want on a bottle of liquor but you still can't sell it to minors.

StoOgE said:

I thought this was America! Huh?! Isn't this America?! I'm sorry, I thought this was America!

episode914.jpg

MC Safety

It's not 100 hours long.

I beat the game's story (although I did not complete all the missions and do all the extra stuff) in about 15 or so hours.

Also, are there any news sites reporting on this story? It seems odd only Destructoid has covered this.

kenta

Has no PEINS
MC Safety said:
It's not 100 hours long.

I beat the game's story (although I did not complete all the missions and do all the extra stuff) in about 15 or so hours.

Also, are there any news sites reporting on this story? It seems odd only Destructoid has covered this.
You realize you're going to be swamped with requests for impressions, right?

Fusebox

Banned
MC Safety said:
It's not 100 hours long.

Judge Friedman, is that you??

Crisis

Banned
madmook said:
It's a 100-hour game? Doubtful, but that's another topic, this shit is stupid. Wasn't JT's license to practice law in Florida revoked?

I think in Alabama. You know it's a sad state of affairs when Alabama judges are more competent than other states in regards to Jack Thompson's practices.

Vibri

Banned
You missed the best part:

The other notable highlight of the session did come from Mr. Thompson, who produced a gigantic home-made industrial-strength wooden slingshot that looked capable of exploding somebody’s head in half with the right projectile.It was made of wood and rubber, so he was able to sneak it past metal detectors unnoticed which even took the judge by surprise.

:lol

Florida effing sucks. All their governors, senators, mayors, and judges suck ass. Foley, Jeb Bush, and this Judge can go dive into a pool of parannas.

Luckett_X

Banned
The other notable highlight of the session did come from Mr. Thompson, who produced a gigantic home-made industrial-strength wooden slingshot that looked capable of exploding somebody’s head in half with the right projectile.It was made of wood and rubber, so he was able to sneak it past metal detectors unnoticed which even took the judge by surprise.

This didn't happen right? This is just.... fiction? Or... is this really the planet my feet are touching down on right now. Planet Earth right? 2006? THIS CANNOT BE REAL.

Top Bottom