• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Florida teens who recorded drowning man will not be charged in his death

Fuchsdh

I don't know shit about drug laws but couldn't they at least do something with this? Just to at least have any kind of punishment.

Even with that, depending on how the local laws are written you couldn't get them for anything, especially if they don't actually have drugs or drug paraphernalia on their person.

(Plus if you're for drug decriminalization I don't think wishing for them to be charged makes much sense. Two wrongs don't make a right and all.)

Flo_Evans

Alright?
"He's trying to commit suicide by drowning" would never enter my mind.

Can you link to some instances of people committing suicide by drowning where:
They didn't jump off of a bridge
They didn't weight themselves down by something
There wasn't alcohol involved

"Suicide by drowning" - apart from those above conditions - isn't something that you really can do. Your body won't let you.

The link is in the op.

You really think your body won't let you drown if you walk fully clothed into the middle of a lake? LOL.

ironmang

Even with that, depending on how the local laws are written you couldn't get them for anything, especially if they don't actually have drugs or drug paraphernalia on their person.

(Plus if you're for drug decriminalization I don't think wishing for them to be charged makes much sense. Two wrongs don't make a right and all.)

I assumed if they were being interviewed after the incident maybe there was someone who had some on them or in their car or whatever.

I am for drug decriminalization but if the laws could be used to punish some shitty people in it's way out then that sounds good to me.

I don't understand how someone could just sit around and watch that. It's very disturbing that they felt no need to even help, and then record him drown like that while yelling obscene stuff at the man. It's disgusting, and these kids deserved to be locked up.

Mulgrok

Odds are more likely to fail when trying saving someone and end up drowning yourself. Not going/calling for professional help is pretty shitty of them though.

5taquitos

Odds are more likely to fail when trying saving someone and end up drowning yourself. Not going/calling for professional help is pretty shitty of them though.
You know what's even shittier? Berating, laughing, and making fun of someone as they drown in front of your eyes.

Flo_Evans

So in saying this was a suicide, you're using this article as your evidence?

Oh, alright then, I have evidence this wasn't suicide - the link is in the op.

Also note that I said "Can you link to some instances" - that's plural.

Ok. What makes you think he wasn't trying to commit suicide? The fight with his girlfriend? Walking into the lake fully clothed? Ignoring the teens that said "don't go in there you are going to drown"

I mean it's sad but his dude killed himself. The teens are assholes but there was nothing they could have resonably done to stop him. By the time he is in trouble he is too far out for anyone to actually help had they called the police or not.

Fox Mulder

It's the US. Calling the cops can get you killed just as easily as trying to rescue a person drowning.

RS4-

Fuck these kids, fucking garbage.

I hope they're fucked for the rest of their lives with schools, jobs, everything.

My two questions:

I understand them not going in, risking their lives to save him but why didn't they at least call for help? Not that anyone would have gotten there in time, but still.

What was he doing in the lake in the first place?

It's the US. Calling the cops can get you killed just as easily as trying to rescue a person drowning.
Good point.

Mullah88

How about cities rewarding good Samaritans instead of punishing people not willing to help? Maybe that'll motivate some to do better if they at least know they're getting something back (I know I know, human decency and all)...i also believe this is a generational thing, still doesn't excuse the behavior

Ok. What makes you think he wasn't trying to commit suicide? The fight with his girlfriend? Walking into the lake fully clothed? Ignoring the teens that said "don't go in there you are going to drown"

I mean it's sad but his dude killed himself. The teens are assholes but there was nothing they could have resonably done to stop him. By the time he is in trouble he is too far out for anyone to actually help had they called the police or not.

Jesus fucking Christ, the police said nothing about this being a suicide, neither does the article, so stop stating this as if it was a fact.

These teens should have called the cops as soon as they saw him having trouble staying afloat, the end.

Stop trying to rationalize their behaviour.

This is what true evil looks like. Not personally helping at all I would feel a bit of contempt but understandable especially in a drowning scenario. Not even calling for help the bit of contempt turns into pure disgust. Actively mocking the guy DYING on top of that? I truly have no words. Humans shouldn't be capable of this.

Fuck those teenagers and FUCK everyone who uses the "waaaah but they're just kids they'll learn" argument. Sociopathic behavior is NOT NORMAL at this age, and I'm pretty sure people who are this are more than likely the high school bullies of their class. Fine the parents, make them do community service up until college, put them through psychological exams/correction; everything short of putting them in the big house (obviously).

Ryzaki009

You know what's even shittier? Berating, laughing, and making fun of someone as they drown in front of your eyes.

This. I could even understand them walking away as awful as that is. But to jeer at him while he's dying? That's a certain level of outright malice that's disgusting.

Good point

Is it though? Is that how most 911 calls end?

I can't imagine how the family must be feeling knowing how this poor guy had to suffer being taunted as he drowned. And then to find out nothing can be done to get justice against those responsible is so tragic.

I get why the kids might not dive in and try to rescue the guy, but I'll never understand how someone can act they way they did. It's sad that none of them realised what they were doing was extremely wrong and stepped up.

yyzjohn

Banned
"To think that anyone would just lack any kind of moral conscience to call for help," Martinez said. "It's one thing to see something and not want to put yourself at risk, but to not call anybody, to sit there and to laugh and humiliate this person is beyond my comprehension."

This perfectly sums up what I feel. How can anyone turn out like this?

deo

Banned
What red blooded human-being can possibly watch apathetically as a man literally dies before your very eyes? So heartless... RIP

Demoskinos

OK you're correct -

So to be sued you either have to have caused harm, broken the law or broken a contract.

You'd have to go on "caused harm" here I suppose. But they haven't really caused any harm. The harm would have happened had they not been there. They just haven't actively tried to prevent harm bur I don't think that's good enough because if it was then it would open up people to suits all over the place when they could have acted and didn't.

/armchair lawyer not even from the same country
I think there is an easy case of emotional distress to be argued on the families part. People win civil suits over emotional distress all the time.

LordKasual

Banned
attention

There's a difference between me acknowledging that a person is under no real obligation to save a dying person just because they're witnessing their death (especially if it's an accident or suicide)...and me not being aware that they could have maybe put their phone down and actually tried to help

I don't know why you would jump to such a stupid conclusion after i condemn them in the very next sentence for what they did, but now you have your answer

Alright?
"He's trying to commit suicide by drowning" would never enter my mind.

Can you link to some instances of people committing suicide by drowning where:
They didn't jump off of a bridge
They didn't weight themselves down by something
There wasn't alcohol involved

"Suicide by drowning" - apart from those above conditions - isn't something that you really can do. Your body won't let you.

...people drown in pools without even trying to. Why on earth would it be difficult to kill yourself in a pool? It's exceedingly easy, actually.

Yes I want their names. I dont want to work next to someone like that. Do you?

There's a difference between "not wanting to work next to someone" and wanting an internet mob launched upon people.

Ok. What makes you think he wasn't trying to commit suicide?

[...]

I mean it's sad but his dude killed himself

I mean, when you keep assuming ahead of time your conclusion, this is obviously not going to go anywhere.

Reeks

If you haven't broken any laws I'm pretty sure you can't be sued successfully

What about something like pain and suffering, The last moments of his life were made that much worse by the taunting. I don't know much about the law

It's one thing to not help someone in distress, it's another thing to actively participate in psychological torment.

Fuck those teenagers and FUCK everyone who uses the "waaaah but they're just kids they'll learn" argument. Sociopathic behavior is NOT NORMAL at this age, and I'm pretty sure people who are this are more than likely the high school bullies of their class. Fine the parents, make them do community service up until college, put them through psychological exams/correction; everything short of putting them in the big house (obviously).

Right? I was a shitbag in high school, many of us were I'm sure. But this behavior would never have been on my radar.

Is it though? Is that how most 911 calls end?

I can't imagine how the family must be feeling knowing how this poor guy had to suffer being taunted as he drowned. And then to find out nothing can be done to get justice against those responsible is so tragic.

I get why the kids might not dive in and try to rescue the guy, but I'll never understand how someone can act they way they did. It's sad that none of them realised what they were doing was extremely wrong and stepped up.

I assumed he was joking or being sarcastic. I don't think any of us believe the majority of 911 calls end with the person who called being killed by police. Just sometimes.

I do wonder how Florida police would treat a group of black teenagers at a scene where someone just died, though.

These people are sociopaths. Wouldn't be surprised if this group has some kittens among their body counts. They watched someone die and laughed at them about it.

I won't be shocked if in a few years they end up killing someone themselves.

I understand not jumping in to try to save someone - that can get dangerous for both quick if not trained. But you at least call 911.

Flo_Evans

Jesus fucking Christ, the police said nothing about this being a suicide, neither does the article, so stop stating this as if it was a fact.

These teens should have called the cops as soon as they saw him having trouble staying afloat, the end.

Stop trying to rationalize their behaviour.

"F------ junkie, get out the water, you gonna die," one said.

"Ain't nobody's going to help you, you dumb b----," another said. "You should've never got in there."

Police said that Dunn walked into the pond by himself, WKMG-TV reports. Police aren't sure if he was suicidal but said he just had an argument with his fiancee. Dunn's body wasn't found until July 14.

What else do you need a note? It's pretty clear what happened.

"F------ junkie, get out the water, you gonna die," one said.

"Ain't nobody's going to help you, you dumb b----," another said. "You should've never got in there."

What else do you need a note? It's pretty clear what happened.

Yes, it's pretty clear that the kids didn't call for help when they should have.

That you're assuming him being suicidal as fact when the article itself doesn't confirm that to defend these kids is gross.

Toros

I mean, I don't think anyone really expected them to swim in after him. Especially since everyone has varying expertise in swimming. Call 911 or someone else over? Probably yea.
But, I mean, the very least they didn't have to record the thing like one big joke.

Javaman

So you're basing thinking he was trying to drown himself on "What do you think he was doing?"

If I see someone in the water, drowning or otherwise, the thought of "Maybe they're trying to kill themselves" wouldn't even begin to enter my mind. That is so absurd.

They did see him walk into the water wearing all his clothes.

Nipo

Have they been doxxed yet? I know if i were hiring someone i wouldn't want a sociopath like that. They posted the video on social media, release their names.

Reminds me of the woman in Kuwait recording her ethiopian maid hanging from a video, both are so rage inducing, but this one would have been even less risk to assist, as helping a drowning person can be dangerous.

aaaand I just watched a person die...great.

The link is graphic. warning.

Edit: She fucking survived! HOW!

The maid — an Ethiopian who had been working in the country for several years, according to the Kuwait Times — survived the fall. The videographer, her employer, was arrested last week on a charge of failing to help the worker.

Liljagare

Is this normal? I live in Portugal, and im pretty sure its illegal not to aid someone in such a life threatning situation.

In alot of countries it's a crime not to report a ongoing event that you are a witness to, accident, robbery, suicides etc to rescue services and police.

But I do not know of any country where it's a crime to decide against getting involved in something that can kill you.

Top Bottom