• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Florida woman guns down daughter holding baby after thinking it was her boyfriend

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dram

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/mom-shoots-daughter-dead-thought-boyfriend-cops-article-1.1530143
A Florida woman fatally shot her daughter — who was holding a 4-month-old baby in her arms — because the woman thought it was her boyfriend at her front door, according to police.

Adele Bing, 52, told Winter Haven police Monday night that the tragic shooting was all simply a case of mistaken identity, but that she should be locked up "for good."

Bing's 25-year-old daughter, Ruby Bing, was found at her doorstep after suffering an apparent gunshot wound to her chest.

The mother told police that she feared it was her boyfriend banging on her front door to get in after they got into a violent fight earlier in the day.

"The boyfriend, 39 year-old James Lane, was at the hospital being treated for injuries to his head after Adele Bing hit him with a gun," according to police.

"As she opened the door a shot was fired, hitting her daughter in the upper chest. The 4 month-old was not injured," said police.

Bing was arrested and charged with second degree murder and child abuse without great bodily harm.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I guess it's asking too much for murderers to spend .5 seconds to ensure they are murdering the correct target.

Disgusting shoot first ask questions later mentality.

According to television and movies? No, they don't.

Transporter.gif

Ekdrm2d1

Shouldn't she be charged with first degree murder and not second? :/

That's a hard one.

She intended to kill the boyfriend. Maybe not necessarily kill him, but shooting him in the chest. She didn't "plan" on killing anybody though. Not like she went up to somebody and shot them.

shira

Not flordia, not florida, not florida, not florida, not florida, not florida

sw5vader.jpg

Search your feelings, you know it to be true

Fuckk. . . . RIP kid.

The mistaken identify is tragic but I want to comment on her intentions. Because it seems to me she was trying some SYG shit...

So let's say she shot her boyfriend in the chest. All she'd need to do is cite Stand Your Ground. And be free to go. This is the problem I have with that law. It's just too easily abused.

Now since she disregarded basic gun safety rules ( Rule #3: Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target. And Rules #4: Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.) the daughter is dead and her grandaughter gets to grow up without a mother or grandmother.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
The mistaken identify is tragic but I want to comment on her intentions. Because it seems to me she was trying some SYG shit...

So let's say she shot her boyfriend in the chest. All she'd need to do is cite Stand Your Ground. And be free to go. This is the problem I have with that law. It's just too easily abused.

Now since she disregarded basic gun safety rules ( Rule #3: Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target. And Rules #4: Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.) the daughter is dead and her grandaughter gets to grow up without a mother or grandmother.

pretty much correct on all counts

zeemumu

She almost shot her grandaughter as well. Is it really that hard to check and see who it is before you fire?

How high is the girl scout/door to door salesman mortality rate in Florida anyway?

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
Day ruined. :(

The baby wasn't hit, yes?

Still lost her Mom.

Yeah, Grandma should be locked up for good. People don't even check to see who they're going to put bullets in anymore?

KHarvey16

There's nothing specific to stand your ground she can use. Castle doctrine exists in many states.

super2j

Neo Member
So she meant to kill her boyfriend, not her daughter.

Oh Florida.

a boyfriend who was at a hospital... he didnt put her there, she put him there... with her gun. there should be a high profile site that has a reported gun violence number, and has all the stories. Anytime anyone says guns are needed, point to that site and tell them to read all billion of the stories that happened in the last month.

Valnen

a boyfriend who was at a hospital... he didnt put her there, she put him there... with her gun. there should be a high profile site that has a reported gun violence number, and has all the stories. Anytime anyone says guns are needed, point to that site and tell them to read all billion of the stories that happened in the last month.

If he attacked her he deserves to be in the hospital.

Banglish

The sad thing is, it's just another case. It won't stop. How many more people need to die before something is done? 100 deaths, 1000, 10000? Will it even matter?

commedieu

Banned

Now since she disregarded basicall gun safety rules ( Rule #3: Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target. And Rules #4: Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.) the daughter is dead and her grandaughter gets to grow up without a mother or grandmother.

Darn.. The gun owner honor system of guidelines has reared its ugly head again. If only the mother was required to know these things. And if only there was a penalty for acting against them.

Like 5 years for every assumed rule infraction. She did neither, so on top of this she needs to pay a sizable fine for gun education ( the 5 month course to buy a gun in my fantasy world, renewed every 6 months) as well as a harsher penalty for comitting a gun crime that ignores saftey rules.

I th ink this happens to parents in a way when their kids blow their heads off with guns that should be secured? Like extra blame for being a horrible parent with a firearm...? Empty vessel...????

There's nothing specific to stand your ground she can use. Castle doctrine exists in many states.

Castle doctrine varies greatly from state to state and correct me if I'm wrong but does it cover shooting someone NOT inside your house? I don't know Florida law well enough except to know what SYG is fine in theory but horribly utilized in reality.

Darn.. The gun owner honor system of guidelines has reared its ugly head again. If only the mother was required to know these things. And if only there was a penalty for acting against them.

Like 5 years for every assumed rule infraction. She did neither, so on top of this she needs to pay a sizable fine for gun education ( the 5 month course to buy a gun in my fantasy world, renewed every 6 months) as well as a harsher penalty for comitting a gun crime that ignores saftey rules.

I th ink this happens to parents in a way when their kids blow their heads off with guns that should be secured? Like extra blame for being a horrible parent with a firearm...? Empty vessel...????

You're kinda rambling so it's making it difficult for me to respond (not to mention the fact that I'm on a ton of meds after surgery lol weeeee!)

Or you know... She could just not shoot someone unless she had no alternative.

Just as an aside: Just about all laws we have governing behavior is on the "honor" system. With your freedom we trust you not to steal, not to murder, not to rape, not to maim, not to drive drunk, etc. until a law is violated a person has their rights. It is what it is.

(Forgive me if I'm the one rambling now...)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom