• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Food blogger reviews Denver KFC's $7.99 all-you-can-eat Monday special

Status
Not open for further replies.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Dunno if the deal is limited to this particular KFC or not.

http://blogs.westword.com/cafesociety/2012/12/kentucky_fried_chicken_all-you-can-eat.php

Why did the original-recipe fried chicken cross the road? To get away from the breasters and nesters at Kentucky Fried Chicken during its all-you-can-eat Monday special.

Any unlimited eat-hole cram promotion will attract a few opportunists short on dining etiquette, but a flock who lacked even basic social skills converged like a swarm of chicken hawks on the KFC at 366 Broadway last Monday.

I knew what kind of food to expect for the low low-low price of $7.99 plus tax, but my fellow diners came as a complete surprise.

I got my first taste of their greasy behavior as I approached the counter. A woman had received a plate with legs and thighs, and she was none too pleased. She interrupted both employees at the counter and hissed at them like the Skeksis from The Dark Crystal because she wanted breasts. "I don't like these -- I wanted BREASTS!" she screeched.

The harried employees calmly took her plate and gave her a new one with two decent- sized chicken breasts. She spent a minute or so examining them, then declared that she preferred them bigger, but that these would be all right for now.

Okay, Lady Muck. I wouldn't have blamed the employees if they'd given her an eye roll along with her plate, but they were as dispassionate as Egyptian cat statues in a quiet museum.

As she shuffled away, a male staffer explained how the all-you-can-eat meal works: Each plate comes with legs and thighs -- unless otherwise requested -- in original recipe or extra-crispy, along with a scoop of mashed potatoes with gravy, a side of cole slaw, a biscuit, and a medium drink. When you finish the first plate, you can bring your tray back to the counter for a refill -- lather, rinse, repeat.

There are no restrictions to this special, which is available from open to close every Monday. When I asked if anyone had ever come in at opening and stayed until close, he told me no. But the deal attracts plenty of regulars, including Lady Muck, who apparently makes it a habit to camp out for hours.

While he was giving me the skinny, Lady Muck reappeared, this time clutching a biscuit in each hand, asking everyone in line if they wanted to eat her biscuits.

"I don't like them, so they'll just go to waste," she announced, while I wondered why she hadn't just declined the biscuit when she got her plate. When no one wanted them, she huffed over to the trash can and chucked them in.

I found a mostly-clean plastic table kitty-corner from Lady Muck, sat down and tucked in.

The chicken was moist and delicious; I swear the eleven herbs and spices are all some form of pepper. I always try to get the crisp-skin shell off the meat in one piece, but never manage to.

For a change, I received ample gravy; previously, my biggest peeve with KFC had been that the potato/gravy ratio isn't skewed in my favor. The coleslaw came in a separate plastic tub and had actually been refrigerated; it was the usual blend of finely minced green cabbage, carrot and thin mayo-y sauce with a slight tang of what I suspect may be horseradish.
I picked at the biscuit (I only like them slathered with sausage gravy), passing up the "honey sauce" and "buttery spread" packets. The honey sauce technically had honey in it -- it was the fourth ingredient -- but the spread had no ingredients listed, so my imagination filled in the blanks.

While I ate, I noted that Lady Muck had a distinctive, archetypal cat-lady look. She'd brought a goodly amount of personal belongings to the restaurant; I saw a laptop and several bags containing magazines, books and knitting. She even had one of those sports-stadium seat cushions under her duffer.

She was camping, indoors, in a KFC, even though I suspect she had an actual home. But she wasn't the most etiquette-starved customer in the place. In a booth toward the back sat a family of four, and it looked like the dad had ordered a single special, which he was refilling every few minutes to feed everyone else at the table. Another woman was way-too-obviously stuffing chicken into a plastic bag in her over-sized purse. And a man sitting by the front window kept getting a new plate, eating just a few bites before he dumped the rest in the garbage.

That's some farm-fresh horse hooey.

I did not expect KFC to be a bastion of high culture and social refinement on all-you-can-eat Monday -- or at any other time, for that matter -- but I wasn't expecting a pickup performance of Les Miserables, either.

My second plate had a huge breast and I chewed as much juicy chicken as I could, finished the sides, clutched at my hardened abdomen, and waddled toward the door. As I stopped by the counter to thank the employees, I asked how they maintained professional attitudes during what was likely some rough customer interaction on Mondays.

They told me they'd seen so much ridiculous behavior during the all-you-can-eat special daqys that they're essentially immune to it. They've been hit by verbal rude-bombs and subjected to the worst kind of picky-eater-bullshit. The demand for breasts wasn't unique to Lady Muck -- who was still there when I left, despite having arrived hours before me.

They are better employees than I would be. I'd rather roll around naked in crushed lightbulb glass than listen to people whine about a deal like this. The all-you-can-eat Monday special at KFC is definitely worth the scratch for the chicken, so long as you don't mind the hawks

Qj42x.jpg

Fusebox

Banned
Legs and thighs are my favourite. I would put up with all the dero's and scumbags just to partake in this special.

Aesius

KFC is pretty terrible nowadays. The sides are tiny and disgusting. Taste like they came directly from a can and were heated in a microwave. And the chicken ranges from decent to terrible.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
I have to eat cole slaw to get a second plate? I'd rather eat my own shit. Seriously.

Was just there the other day. Timedog had to get his fried chicken on. I didn't want any. Had some potato wedges and still felt awful.

It reads like the author is encountering the poor and less fortunate for the first time.

Guy with his family probably can't afford meals for each of them. How hilarious.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
8 bucks all you can eat KFC with no time limit? Dang.

I guess they still must make a decent profit from it/get good exposure to keep it going.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
All you can eat chicken legs? Hell yeah, motherfuckers, I'm down.

(Sucks for those that abuse that deal but what can KFC really do about that other than discontinue the deal?)

Fun read.

KFC still holds an unnatural appeal to me, whereby just thinking about it makes me hungry. I know it's garbage, but it's irresistable. Would be worth going to one of these all you can eat deals just for the people watching.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Hey at least it's not Church's Chicken, that Bullet Shield Glass wouldn't last minutes

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
And a man sitting by the front window kept getting a new plate, eating just a few bites before he dumped the rest in the garbage.
Fucking hell. What a pile of human shit.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
I haven't had Church's in ages.

Used to be pretty good if I recall.

By my house (a little far from walking distance)

We have a White Castle with Church's Chicken offerings truly the Blessed Mecca where I worship time to time

Sliders, Church's Chicken, Onion Rings.. Oh My!

By my house (a little far from walking distance)

We have a White Castle with Church's Chicken offerings truly the Blessed Mecca where I worship time to time

Sliders, Church's Chicken, Onion Rings.. Oh My!

The hell?

That's so much better than the KFC/Pizza Hut combos we get 'round here. I feel cheated.

Between this and all the other fast food specials or other junk food specials in general that run after a Broncos victory(And there have been many), Colorado will be losing that leanest state ranking very soon.

Kenai

I'm not a huge fan of KFC's chicken, but I will still tear up their Mac and Cheese. I'm glad that's not part of the deal or I'd be so bitterly jealous of the area.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom