• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Food blogger reviews Denver KFC's $7.99 all-you-can-eat Monday special

Status
Not open for further replies.
But where's the chicken???
7HciJ.jpg

It really disgust me how entitled some people feel they are, seriously wasting food or stealing (in case of the guy buying one meal and feeding a bunch of people) just rubs me the wrong way.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Whoa, nice write-up. I used to go to KFC buffet all the time as a kid. It was way better than that though, they had a bunch of shit. I don't remember anything weird out of the customers either, but this was the early 90's, when civilized people still ate at KFC once in awhile.

Oh, and KFC > Popeye's dry-ass garbage

FStop7

Banned
are you on the west coast, or do el pollo locos exist outside of california and oregon?

either way, i can go for some el pollo loco

I am on the west coast. EPL is pretty awesome though I did once get food poisoning from their rotsserie style chicken, it put me off on the place for months. Now I just get tacos or tostadas.

Whoa, nice write-up. I used to go to KFC buffet all the time as a kid. It was way better than that though, they had a bunch of shit. I don't remember anything weird out of the customers either, but this was the early 90's, when civilized people still ate at KFC once in awhile.

Oh, and KFC > Popeye's dry-ass garbage

Devo deserves a more cultured and learned man.

Emily Chu

Banned
How much fried chicken can one person actually eat in one sitting ????

I'd like a GAF meet up here where everyone is all greasy bloated and looking at each other feeling regretful and full of chicken.

Meier

I loooove KFC but haven't had it in ages. The mashed potatoes and gravy is so good (Hardees' are better though) and the chicken tenders are awesome. Great mac and cheese, great biscquits.. damn, what a bargain.

Seanspeed

Banned
How much fried chicken can one person actually eat in one sitting ????

I've eaten 6 pieces, along with some sides before.

Also, all-you-can-eat buffets anywhere attract the 'unclassy' sort. I dont think this is anything thats specific to KFC. Golden Corral aint exactly a suit'n'tie establishment, ya know?

Also, me and some friends camped at CiCi's one time. Probably spent about 3-4 hours there altogether! lol

what???
Popeye's far superior.
Its almost like people have different opinions or something.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
I went to a KFC about a year ago and they had a buffet set up in the middle of the restaurant with a bunch of old folk circling it like sharks. It was very strange food too, nothing you'd normally get at a KFC. Country fried steak, rice, squash, some weird fish, stuff like that. I thought I had walked into the wrong place at first.

On a side note, the KFC here in Saigon is interesting. Some of their chicken is ridiculously good but they have some really weird shit on the menu. I had a curry dish that was basically just a bunch of chicken bones in a curry sauce.
Their crispy chicken is slightly spicy and really juicy though. And they have something called flava roast that makes me want to punch a child in joy.

Give me all you can eat Popeye's for $7.99 and we'll talk.
Yessss.

As it is, I am pleased with the 2 for $1 deal. So much tasty chicken!

Its almost like people have different opinions or something.
I will note that many of these locations are run by franchisees, and thus the quality can vary wildly between different locations of even the same brand.

I have a very nice Popeye's by my office, and I go there every Tuesday for the above-mentioned deal. It's delicious.

Seanspeed

Banned
I will note that many of these locations are run by franchisees, and thus the quality can vary wildly between different locations of even the same brand.

I have a very nice Popeye's by my office, and I go there every Tuesday for the above-mentioned deal. It's delicious.
Quality shouldn't vary wildly at all. Most places get the same stuff delivered to them, cooked in mostly the same sort of equipment in mostly the same way. Franchises dont want a large difference in quality between places. They might offer different selections to suit different demographics, but you should be able to get some KFC in Oklahoma and expect it to be pretty much the same chicken you get in a KFC in Virginia.

Some people just dont like Popeyes or KFC's chicken in general. I doubt its usually a case of, "Oh, you probably just went to a bad location."

KFC has the best coleslaw.

Everything else, I can do without generally, but their chicken does hit the spot once in a while. Their gravy is ok, but the mashed potatoes always taste bland and watery.

Also most people are assholes, no big surprise. Work any sort of fast food or retail work and within a week you will realize just how many self entered "I am the center of the universe" assholes there are out there.

Seanspeed

Banned
Basically. I more of a scientific fact than opinion at this point. If you know what good fried chicken tastes like you wouldn't settle for KFC.
This sort of comment is just as bad as all those snobs who talk about how Taco Bell is garbage and that people who eat there dont know what a REAL taco is, even though many probably do. Its ok to like cheap, fast food variants of stuff.

Personally, I dont like Popeyes. The battered part tastes bad to me. But since its a fact that its better than KFC, I guess I'm wrong and my taste buds are lying to me.

Quality shouldn't vary wildly at all. Most places get the same stuff delivered to them, cooked in mostly the same sort of equipment in mostly the same way. Franchises dont want a large difference in quality between places. They might offer different selections to suit different demographics, but you should be able to get some KFC in Oklahoma and expect it to be pretty much the same chicken you get in a KFC in Virginia.

Some people just dont like Popeyes or KFC's chicken in general. I doubt its usually a case of, "Oh, you probably just went to a bad location."
It's the "mostly the same way" that's in question here.

Sometimes you have employees that overcook the chicken, or add too much salt, or what-have-you.

I know the McDonald's by my house has very different chicken nuggets than the one by my work place... Same ingredients and all.

It doesn't sound like the author has ever worked in fast food or retail before, as none of the customers he described sound particularly atypical.

Seanspeed

Banned
It's the "mostly the same way" that's in question here.

Sometimes you have employees that overcook the chicken, or add too much salt, or what-have-you.

I know the McDonald's by my house has very different chicken nuggets than the one by my work place... Same ingredients and all.
Sometimes, but not usually. Food does not differ wildly for most big chain places. These places may not always have the most competent employees, but its not hard for most of them to follow directions for stuff.

FinKL

A local KFC had this right outside the Air Force Base (Tyndall) Panama City, FL.

This was amazing, but not how I remember it.

There was literally a buffet cart with dishes including ALL of the sides, biscuits, and Chicken. Chicken + Rice + Gravy + Mashed Taters + Biscuits, I could die of a carb coma SOO GOOD THOUGH.

lil smoke

Banned

Oh nah, there are vast differences based on the level of staffing at these places. At least in NY where locations vary to the extremes. It can be as simple as the fry girl having a higher tolerance for sodium, so she coats the fries twice with salt, or some ass that loves ketchup on everything, those guys have heavy hands on the sauces and usually prepare a messy sandwich. Big differences between locations that are busy and slow, big differences in how "nice" the location is. McDs in midtown is way better than the one in Bushwick Brooklyn.

Wthermans

Banned
Oh nah, there are vast differences based on the level of staffing at these places. At least in NY where locations vary to the extremes. It can be as simple as the fry girl having a higher tolerance for sodium, so she coats the fries twice with salt, or some ass that loves ketchup on everything, those guys have heavy hands on the sauces and usually prepare a messy sandwich. Big differences between locations that are busy and slow, big differences in how "nice" the location is. McDs in midtown is way better than the one in Bushwick Brooklyn.

Can't say I agree. Most condiment differences between locations come from the methods they are distributed. The shakers in one location have a different distribution rate than another due to different shakers being used.

Man, KFC is like the Mecca of fried Chicken in the UK. Everything else is utter, utter pidgeon shit. Actually, that's not true - it's just straight up pidgeon, I think.

That said, I worked at McDonalds for 2.5 years and whilst the customers could be utter goons, it's fairly easy to put up with - I mean, you're getting paid (a tiny amount!) to be there, they're paying to be there. It's really not you that's the shit head. Unless you're a shithead too. God, there were a lot of shitheads there, working, too. One time a guy started trying to tease me because I knew that 150 seconds (all the fryers, grills etc in there used seconds rather than mm:ss, I guess in case the staff got confused with hours? I dunno) was 2.5 minutes.

On second thoughts, fast food employees deserve your hate. They're all idiots.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom