• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Food for thought for those who don't care about 60fps.

SeanR1221

Which most people are. People tends to upgrade consoles because the games they want to play are only available on current gen. People who care about top of the line graphics tend to prefer PCs

Yeah all those cross gen games are selling more on 360 and ps3!....oh...wait.......

Metfanant

First, a question. Were you gaming in 1994-97 period? More specifically, did you care about arcade games back then?

I was gaming before the 94-97 period...still don't really care about framerate...yes..switching between 60 and 30 on say TLoU is quite a noticeable experience...

But do my retinas bleed from 30fps games? Nope...

rrs

In the race for more pretty graphics framerate was chopped down, this decision has been made since the 3D era began. Those games you mentioned would benefit from 60 FPS more than MGS or a JRPG

As games have progressed over the years I would say the thing that needs the most work is AI. Forget 60fps if computer controlled AI is terrible that is what is going to ruin enjoyment of games. Sports games in particular this applies to.

I want my AI from HL2 and FEAR back

Kart94

Banned
I don't care. If a game is fun, then it shouldn't matter if it is 30 fps or 60 fps. My only requirement is that it doesn't drop or stutter often. A game with 30 fps locked is better than a supposedly 60 fps that drops to 50 or 40 at times and vice versa.

nkarafo

Sounds like you care more about specs than actual gaming.
Well. generally no, except when the specs get in the way and take me out of the game. I play many 30fps games and i enjoy them but i have a hard time enjoying fast paced games and racing games with the 30fps stuttering, which is very noticeable in my eyes.

My first console was the NES and I have never cared about frame rates as long as the game doesn't experience any slowdown.

As games have progressed over the years I would say the thing that needs the most work is AI. Forget 60fps if computer controlled AI is terrible that is what is going to ruin enjoyment of games. Sports games in particular this applies to.

Laconic

Banned
and of course none of these things relate to each other whatsoever

i really don't like posts like this,get outta here with your 'masturbatory' implications just because you don't value FPS like some of us

eeeeeey, early confirmation that this thread is going to be absolutely as ridiculous as every thread in which this subject is brought up

Nah.

You can cultivate your weak feels elsewhere yourself, if you can't handle differing opinions.

Or you could stay and enjoy the debate.

It makes me no never-mind.

People don't give a shit about the specs of a game, so long as it's fun.

If there's a technical aspect that makes a game unplayable for someone, then you can't write it off. I am not sensitive at all to frame rate, but I am sensitive to screen tearing. A game could be "fun", which is subjective, but if it's tearing all over the place, it makes it a lot less fun to play because I notice the torn frames and I am taken right out of the game.

A non-issue for one person may make the game unplayable for another.

Portugeezer

What you don't get is that N64/PS1/SAT were early 3D capable consoles that weren't powerful enough. For us, gamers, textured 3D graphics alone were amazing enough but if we wanted the smooth/perfect experience, we had to spend quarters in arcades.

So you played 30fps games on N64. Does that justify the fact that you have the same limitation now, with hardware that is like, 10.000 times more powerful?

Games like Zelda OoT, Mario 64, Banjo Kazooie didn't feel limited.

60fps probably would have limited them however.

Ninjimbo

I prefer 60 fps, but it's not required for me to play a game or enjoy it.
This is ultimately where I fall. 60 fps is really nice, but if the game is fun without it, I don't really care. Far Cry 3 runs at sub 30 fps on the 360 and I played through that whole game. Chrono Cross is one of my favorite games of all time. It runs at a slow framerate and I pick it up and play it like it was basketball. There's plenty of other things to videogames besides the tech under the hood like art, game design, and story. I'd argue that stagnating in those areas affect the perception of the medium more than any quibbles about framerate and resolution.

Switching between 30/60 on the fly in TLoU should be an eye opening experience for many people. It makes it incredibly obvious why 60 is so much better and noticeable once you put it back to back yourself in a way the numbers alone can't really convey.

The question here isn't about 30fps being playable.

Its about standards and expectations. Its about the industry going forward as the technology gets better. Today we have machines that offer a much bigger room for graphics/effects/smooth frame rates. I find it unacceptable that 60fps was much more common thing on inferior 2001 hardware than it is now. Obviously the standards have dropped. Its a step back.

Isn't it?

It is a step back.

However, the market has grown since then, and it seems with larger audience, the equilibrium is at 30fps with better graphics.

Also modern games don't rely on pure gameplay as much as older games. So I guess it was inevitable somewhat. Though even to this day, games that rely on gameplay alone are almost always 60fps, which is a good thing.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
This is not correct. All of those may affect gameplay, more so than 30 FPS could.

How? Tell me how precisely, the only argument I think you could make is large open games and precise headshot. The amount of games that large with that gameplay are few and far between.

gogosox82

If a game has graphical problems people will give a shit. Frame stuttering, pop in, etc will effect a person's enjoyment of the game. So I don't think its fair to say people don't give a shit about this stuff even if they think its fun.

Born 1992 didn't play arcade games. I think 60fps only matters for racing, fighting and platformer games. Everything else can stay at 30fps, and I'll be happy.

entremet

There no war. 60fps wins every time. The only reason 30 FPS is in the picture is because of the limits if hardware.

60 FPS feels and looks better.

Nah.

You can cultivate your weak feels elsewhere yourself, if you can't handle differing opinions.

Or you could stay and enjoy the debate.

It makes me no never-mind.

i simply don't like the implication that FPS isn't a valid point of concern to gamers, especially when expressed through the same old loftyass attitude of 'oh I just care about the gameplay because that's what's truly important, the rest of y'all are just spec nerds'

it ain't the part before the comma that gets me

if you don't like 'cultivating weak feels' then maybe you ought to avoid posting things like that last sentence in your op. because that's all the value that sentence even has in the context of debates like this. and you know it

nkarafo

Games like Zelda OoT, Mario 64, Banjo Kazooie didn't feel limited..
Mario 64 and Banjo were fine because smooth 60fps was not a standard back then. It was extremely rare, if not completely unlikely. Standards were different. OOT was 20fps and it was bothersome, although we could get past it.

The difference now is that, unlike back then, gamers have experienced smooth frame rates on consoles. Therefore, stuttering framerate looks like a step back on even more powerful consoles.

ElRenoRaven

This sums up my thoughts. I know it's how I feel. As long as a game isn't sub 30fps I don't give a damn as long as it's fun. After all that's why I play games for the fun factor and not the graphics.

Don't care about FPS at all. The majority of gamers do not care. The majority want better graphics. You're on a gaming forum, you're vastly not the majority here so idk why you think devs will cater to you when graphics>fps in terms of marketing. And I could care less about 60v30fps they both play great to me and will choose 30 with better graphics every time.

shandy706

<--Has high end gaming PC.

<--Grew up gaming in the 80s/90s on PC, in arcades, and at home.

Doesn't give a crap if some games run at less than 60fps as long as they're fun.

Born in 75, so I go as far back as Atari 2600 and Pac-man in the arcades. I must say, I agree with the OP. Although through much of the last two gens I haven't really given it much thought. It wasn't until I tried to get into PC gaming that it became jarring, having Crysis 2 go from 60 to 40-30, was disappointing to say the least. Animation was noticeably slower when reloading weapons, firing it was slower. It was like doing 80mph on the highway, then have the engine just cut off on you.

nded

I'll take 60fps whenever I can get it, but 30 fps is perfectly acceptable for many games. Don't try to tell me 60fps isn't an improvement over 30fps in terms of gameplay though, because it clearly is.

Ashkeloth

I won't disagree that 60FPS gives a notable improvement to a lot of games, but I still honestly can't bring myself to care that much.

Ultimately, artistic design and gameplay are the two most important aspects of a game. I loved Shadow of the Colossus on the PS2 and I'm pretty sure that ran at around 20FPS or lower consistently. I loved it because of the desolate forbidden lands, the varied designs of the colossi, the sense of mystery surrounding most areas you stumbled into, the Aztec-inspired architecture, and the looming and triumphant sounding music.

I played the PS3 HD remake recently and it's nice to see the game running at a consistent frame rate, but it really doesn't make a huge difference to the overall experience.

There are some genres that frame rate is hugely important to because of the fluidity it provides to actions but not all genres need 60FPS. The ones I can think of are racing games for a proper sense of motion and speed, fighting games for both mechanical and animation-based reasons, arena/twitch shooters such as Quake and Counter Strike and possibly action games like Devil May Cry or Bayonetta.

Give me well designed games that run at a consistently decent frame rate and I'm happy as can be. No massive dips in fps and I don't really care about what it's running at.

I think game get more attention when the have fancier graphics, thatswhy devs choose better graphics over 60FPS.

BUT it looks like some developers might change that.
It sounds like NaughtyDog is going for 60FPS only now. Thing is that NaughtyDog is probably so good that they can pull of 60FPS and still have a game that looks better than everything else.(Uncharted 4)

I personally always prefer 60FPS. 30FPS isn't a dealbreaker for me though.

Bloodrage

Banned
FPS is directly related to control. Gaming is just more enjoyable at 60.
We've had this thread about a thousand times now and it's getting old. No it isn't. You think most people that play GTA, for example, enjoy it less because it's 30fps or less? Perfectly explains the bad sales, huh? If it's playable most people don't give a fuck. OCD gamers are a different story.

OP, for example, was in a Driveclub thread the other day stating really absurdly stupid shit like, "any racing game that isn't 60fps is far from great." Fuck the actual content then? Just give me a shitty game that runs at 60fps and it'll be better than Driveclub, Forza Horizon, Forza Horizon 2, PGR4, any NFS in the last couple years, Blur, Motorstorm, etc by default.

Sami+

The question here isn't about 30fps being playable.

Its about standards and expectations. Its about the industry going forward as the technology gets better. Today we have machines that offer a much bigger room for graphics/effects/smooth frame rates. I find it unacceptable that 60fps was much more common thing on inferior 2001 hardware than it is now. Obviously the standards have dropped. Its a step back.

Isn't it?

No, because developers are able to push the hardware further when they don't have to worry about rendering twice as many images every second. The "step back" is immediately replaced by a step forward in another category.

It's not a downgrade, it's a sign of changing priorities.

Phediuk

Framerate was never a big issue on PS1; there's a shitload of 60fps games there.

N64 games, on the other hand, rarely even hit 30fps.

Yes, I was gaming in the 90s at home and at the arcades. Never gave a shit about frame rate then, don't now. "Aracde perfect" was a thing, but it was never tied to fps in my mind.

nkarafo

I should add to the OP that i am mostly refer to arcade/racing/fast paced games. Obviously, not all games benefit the same from smoother motion.

ShinMaruku

I'm a 80s baby so I know the hay day of Arcades. Now normally I would be like "The game just needs to be playable" but at 60 fsp games will react and play better than 30. You play Last of US on PS3 and PS4 and see if you can aim the same way. There is no "Acceptable" I am just 1 person in the market, if my peers can settle for less I will get less. So it's not quite settling.

rbanke

Yes I've been playing games since they were invented. And it's not that I don't care about 60 fps, it's clearly better, I just don't shun games that don't feature it because they're still very playable.

This is how I feel also. Also been gaming since Pong.

I would always prefer 60 but its far from a deal breaker for me. For me Its basically breaks out like this: IQ > Stable Framerate > Graphic Complexity > 60 FPS > Tearing > Lighting quality. Even with that, I've still enjoyed many games that have shit resolution, shimmering jaggies everywhere, what amounts to a Vaseline filter on top of the game (Resistance 3, I'm looking at you). Even my most important visual qualities are wants not needs as far as i'm concerned.

We've had this thread about a thousand times now and it's getting old. No it isn't. You think most people that play GTA, for example, enjoy it less because it's 30fps or less? Perfectly explains the bad sales, huh? If it's playable most people don't give a fuck. OCD gamers are a different story.

OP, for example, was in a Driveclub thread the other day stating really absurdly stupid shit like, "any racing game that isn't 60fps is far from great." Fuck the actual content then? Just give me a shitty game that runs at 60fps and it'll be better than Driveclub, Forza Horizon, Forza Horizon 2, PGR4, any NFS in the last couple years, Blur, Motorstorm, etc by default.

Good games at 60fps are better than good games at 30fps.

All games benefit from 60 FPS.

Not all games need 60 FPS.

Flashy effects are easier to sell than smooth motion, and a subset of consumers will just slap on their TV's motion interpolation, anyway.

Laconic

Banned
i simply don't like the implication that FPS isn't a valid point of concern to gamers, especially when expressed through the same old loftyass attitude of 'oh I just care about the gameplay because that's what's truly important, the rest of y'all are just spec nerds'

it ain't the part before the comma that gets me

if you don't like 'cultivating weak feels' then maybe you ought to avoid posting things like that last sentence in your op. because that's all the value that sentence even has in the context of debates like this. and you know it

Game play IS all that matters.

Fps matter only so far as they serve the game play.

One can make a compelling argument that the aesthetics might matter.

The f[a]ps... not so much.

Most people can't even detect 60 fps.

Mustering concern for 60+ faps beyond what they might do to improve game play is the definition of masturbatory concerns.

Nabs

I don't think you get what I'm saying. I'm not saying 30fps can't be fun, but that 60 provides a more enjoyable experience. I have more fun when I have more control over my character. Platformers, shooters, racers and fighting games are all more fun when I have more control. That's all I'm saying. I'm not comparing games to each other, and I'm not the OP.

nkarafo

30fps is smooth.
Compared to what?

Compared to 60? No, its not.

We already had many 60fps games on inferior hardware, several generations ago. Especially racing games. So there is a comparison you see. Going from smooth 60fps racing games to 30fps ones is somewhat jarring. And its bothersome to think the latter runs on far superior hardware.

Top Bottom