• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Footage of The Order 1886 wasn't ready for VGX

I know some people are joking but where in the hell did this delayed nonsense comes from?

the game does not come out until Fall.

"If someone posts a comment within the first 5-10 comments of a thread and it is somewhat over the top or controversial, that comment will set the tone for the rest of the thread."

-The Book of GAF

Salex_

Wow, these overreactions are embarrassing to read. The Order delayed to 2014? inFamous is the only game coming out in 2014? 2014 starting to look like early PS3? lol.

Just because I'm tired of people acting like there's no exclusives already announced for 2014 I'll list some (hint: They aren't indie games)

1. Guilty Gear Xrd
2. inFamous
3. Lily Bergamo
4. Uncharted
5. Everquest Next
6. The Order
7. MLB The Show
8. Planetside 2
9. Rime (can this be called an indie game? Published by Sony and it's an open world 3d game)
10. Shadow of the Beast
11. Driveclub
12. Deep Down (not sure if this is coming to NA/UK in 2014)
13. FFXIV
Those are what we know of for the 2014 lineup so far. Let's not act like there's nothing there. Personally, I'm looking forward to GG Xrd (big fighting game fan, I'll be playing this for MONTHS), Lily Bergamo (3d action game and looks great from the short trailer/details ), The Order, Uncharted, Driveclub, Deep Down, maybe inFamous, and Everquest Next.

StoopKid

Absolutely bloody pathetic. They have had more than enough time to throw out another trailer, the fact its not ready just shows awful Shu is at managing first party. Sony better have more than Uncharted to show at VGX.

2516508-5567548374-Fh3ro.gif

Grillex

Banned
Not trying to start anything, but do you guys really think a new Uncharted is coming out by the end of 2014? That seems overly optimistic.

Pain

Banned
Absolutely bloody pathetic. They have had more than enough time to throw out another trailer, the fact its not ready just shows awful Shu is at managing first party. Sony better have more than Uncharted to show at VGX.
A little harsh but yeah, they definitely need to show more than just Uncharted. I'm sure it'll be amazing but we need more than that.

Not trying to start anything, but do you guys really think a new Uncharted is coming out this year? That seems overly optimistic.
Uh, no I don't think anyone thinks that.......

Wow, these overreactions are embarrassing to read. The Order delayed to 2014? inFamous is the only game coming out in 2014? 2014 starting to look like early PS3? lol.

Just because I'm tired of people acting like there's no exclusives already announced for 2014 I'll list some (hint: They aren't indie games)

1. Guilty Gear Xrd
2. inFamous
3. Lily Bergamo
4. Uncharted
5. Everquest Next
6. The Order
7. MLB The Show
8. Planetside 2
9. Rime (can this be called an indie game? Published by Sony and it's an open world 3d game)
10. Shadow of the Beast

Those are what we know of for the 2014 lineup so far. Let's not act like there's nothing there. Personally, I'm looking forward to GG Xrd (big fighting game fan, I'll be playing this for MONTHS), Lily Bergamo (3d action game and looks great from the short trailer/details ), The Order, Uncharted, and Everquest Next.

You even forgot Deep Down and FFXIV.

Famassu

EXACTLY!

They could've waited until Spring 2014 to have the announce trailer and a small snippet of actual gameplay footage. That's how you do it. Then go a little bigger at E3. That way they can push the release date back as needed, but feed the media beast piece by piece. Maintain that hype with real footage that fans can keep going back to until the game comes out.

Maybe I am overreacting. I'll concede that. But large spans of time between new game footage makes me uneasy. Also see: The Last Guardian.
Sure, but this is a new console's launch and the 6-9 months prior to that. Sony needed to show that they've got something else planned than just launch + few months after (which is basically just Killzone, Knack, inFamous & DriveClub). As I said, had Sony & Microsoft only revealed games that are close enough to their release dates that they are ready to show extensive gameplay from those games, they'd have only a few games to show and that is not something that builds hype for a new console. People needed to know that there is a new Halo coming for Xboner and that they've got some upcoming games beyond launch like Sunset Overdrive, even if the next time they show those games isn't until maybe in March 2014. 6-9 months is lengthy enough time to promote a big game.

And it's not like they've been completely silent about the game either. GameInformer had that month of The Order 1886 and we did see a few screenshots. And again I point out that DriveClub is a perfect example of why they might not be too enthusiastic to show trailers yet. That game looked like ass at E3 this year in comparison to how it looks now. The Order could be in similar state this long before release, so it's better to wait until they can put enough extra polish & ooomph into the graphics if they know they can do that rather than show some underwhelming footage now when they've still got more unfinished assets, animations, effects & other implementations (maybe their AA solution isn't quite there yet etc.)..

Pain

Banned

1. Guilty Gear Xrd
2. inFamous
3. Lily Bergamo
4. Uncharted
5. Everquest Next
6. The Order
7. MLB The Show
8. Planetside 2
10. Shadow of the Beast

Those are what we know of for the 2014 lineup so far. Let's not act like there's nothing there. Personally, I'm looking forward to GG Xrd (big fighting game fan, I'll be playing this for MONTHS), Lily Bergamo (3d action game and looks great from the short trailer/details ), The Order, Uncharted, and Everquest Next.
Nothing very exciting there to be honest. Uncharted better blow me away.
3rd party will rule next year for me. Bring on Watch Dogs and Destiny.

Nafai1123

Banned
Not trying to start anything, but do you guys really think a new Uncharted is coming out by the end of 2014? That seems overly optimistic.

Not trying to start anything, but do you guys really think Sunset Overdrive/Quantum Break/Halo is coming out by the end of 2014? That seems overly optimistic.

No evidence of anything is not evidence of anything

Not to derail the thread but we're talking about a man who didn't see the potential in Demons Souls, greenlit GoW:A, put GT6 on ps3 (as a result of which the game will sell quite a bit less than GT5 did), didn't realise Puppetteer would have been good as a launch title for the ps4 and when the failing handheld of his company is in dire need of AAA games his answer was The Big Fest and Murasaki Baby.

-Sony owns the rights to "Demon's Souls" so clearly they realized the potential...and Shu himself is a big fan of Dark/Demon Souls

-GT6 on PS3 makes more sense than GT6 on PS4, they're trying to sell this long developed game to an audience of 80 million not 3 or 4 million. GT6's sales will most likely dwarf the sales of all next gen titles combined in a year or two

Mario007

-Sony owns the rights to "Demon's Souls" so clearly they realized the potential...and Shu himself is a big fan of Dark/Demon Souls

-GT6 on PS3 makes more sense than GT6 on PS4, they're trying to sell this long developed game to an audience of 80 million not 3 or 4 million. GT6's sales will most likely dwarf the sales of all next gen titles combined in a year or two
GT6 should have been cross gen. Look at the amount of people that actually bought ps4s to play cross gen titles on them. It just makes sensee. GT6 will probably reach 5-6 million with bundles judging by the lack of hype for it. Which is bad for the biggest Sony IP.

Demons Souls was not published by Sony outside of Japan because Shu didn't think the game would be welcome in the west. Namco took over the publishing duties, which led directly to Dark Souls being done by Namco and FROM without Sony and Sony thus loosing an exclusivity on that game.

Pennywise

GT6 should have been cross gen. Look at the amount of people that actually bought ps4s to play cross gen titles on them. It just makes sensee. GT6 will probably reach 5-6 million with bundles judging by the lack of hype for it. Which is bad for the biggest Sony IP.

Yeah, and it would have destroyed DriveClub sales....

Harlequin

It's optimistic, sure. But overly optimistic? I don't think so. 2 and 3 took them two years each, 3 was released in late 2011. That means their programmer will have had one extra year to update to next-gen and their creative team will have had one extra year to freshen up the IP (because that really is needed after 3). Now if the PS4 had been home to the Cell 2.0 that would've been utopian suggestions but considering the PS4 architecture is relatively simple and Naughty Dog employs some true programming wizards, I don't think it's unrealistic at all.

casmith07

TAKE YOUR TIME AND MAKE A GOOD GAME!

I am totally on-board with the "slow and refined" attitude Sony devs are taking.

Just take your time and make the game good.

I also agree with this completely. Like Naughty Dogs with The Last of Us - take your time, SSM. No need to rush crap to market.

JCreasy

Sure, but this is a new console's launch and the 6-9 months prior to that. Sony needed to show that they've got something else planned than just launch + few months after (which is basically just Killzone, Knack, inFamous & DriveClub). As I said, had Sony & Microsoft only revealed games that are close enough to their release dates that they are ready to show extensive gameplay from those games, they'd have only a few games to show and that is not something that builds hype for a new console. People needed to know that there is a new Halo coming for Xboner and that they've got some upcoming games beyond launch like Sunset Overdrive, even if the next time they show those games isn't until maybe in March 2014. 6-9 months is lengthy enough time to promote a big game.

And it's not like they've been completely silent about the game either. GameInformer had that month of The Order 1886 and we did see a few screenshots. And again I point out that DriveClub is a perfect example of why they might not be too enthusiastic to show trailers yet. That game looked like ass at E3 this year in comparison to how it looks now. The Order could be in similar state this long before release, so it's better to wait until they can put enough extra polish & ooomph into the graphics if they know they can do that rather than show some underwhelming footage now when they've still got more unfinished assets, animations, effects & other implementations (maybe their AA solution isn't quite there yet etc.)..

I think I'm just a little frustrated.

Gamescom had behind closed doors footage but no public stuff, TGS had nothing, the Game Informer reveal had stills but no actual gameplay videos, now this.

This thread just made me sell my ps4, the order was the only game they had and they just delayed it. Shitty way to announce a delay, i'll just buy a ps4 in 2016 when the game comes out.

It made me take to the streets with torches. Fuck the neighbors!

Harlequin

I just want to see proper gameplay but i'm sure they just don't want to show too unfinished or unpolished stuff yet.

According to this the first trailer/closed room demo was running on PCs. I hope they can keep the quality up. http://www.videogamer.com/ps4/the_order_1886/preview-3462.html

That article is from August, though. They've shown actual gameplay demonstrations to journalists since. I'm pretty sure those were running on PS4.

This is like the saddest thing I read, I was really looking forward for some gameplay at VGX.

well it is probably going to end up as a Q1-2015 title, probably.

Not to derail the thread but we're talking about a man who didn't see the potential in Demons Souls, greenlit GoW:A, put GT6 on ps3 (as a result of which the game will sell quite a bit less than GT5 did), didn't realise Puppetteer would have been good as a launch title for the ps4 and when the failing handheld of his company is in dire need of AAA games his answer was The Big Fest and Murasaki Baby.

GT6 be only on PS4 would be a terrible idea due to the lack of a big userbase... and it being a cross gen game would take more resources and would see the PS3 game being delayed therefore reducing its PS3 sales (of course for all we know a GT6 PS4 version could later be announced same with TLOU)

GoW A is likely due to the fact that he gives his studios creative freedom to pursue what they wish to make and the Ascension team decided to choose what they know best and play it safe... Similarly most Sony studios didn't wish to make games for the Vita and he let them be unfortunately....

Puppeteer could've been a cross game I agree but at the time of its development the PS4 was at its early stages and both Shu and Japan Studio where probably unaware how successful the console would be... Also Puppeteer was in creative development for quite awhile but went into limbo until the whole studio was reorganized and structured more properly to become more efficient.... There could be multiple reason for it not being developed for the PS4 who are we to judge without the extra concrete information

Not seeing the potential of Demon Souls was a mistake granted but the guy is only human you'd have to take gambles with these decisions and one can't be always right.... On top of that there are rumours of a Demon Souls sequel so Sony learnt from that mistake

The man has been in the Playstation Division from the very beginning if you'd just cheery pick something from his nearing 20 years career at SCEI then of course you'd find some faults but that is the way the business world works there are some ups and some downs and for Shu he has helped way more people then damning them

Edit:Oh and if you like to cherry pick the guy is the Producer for the Legend of Dragoon, so NO he does not suck :p

Vizzeh

Banned
I also agree with this completely. Like Naughty Dogs with The Last of Us - take your time, SSM. No need to rush crap to market.

Some people do not understand that. too much of the 'hulk, smash' mindset going on here, you cant have your cake and eat it. It cant be rushed out the door and be slow and refined at the same time. It would likely be the same people complaining about the bugs or 'broken' game anyway. Just look at BF4

Pennywise

Those free PS+ sales ?

Yeah, because the normal game (not the ps+ edition) was planed as decoration in every shop...

People need to use their fucking heads once in a while.
Don't be pissed off just because YOU let yourself get hyped for the 1000000x megaton unlimited Dorito acess event.

Famassu

Yeeeeeeah, no. You're so wrong with pretty much everything in your assessment.

1) Absolutely NO ONE saw the potential in Demon's Souls, gamers the least bit of all (at least Sony greenlit the project & published it, so they had some belief in the project). Were you even visiting forums & reading Demon's Souls impressions say, during the TGS prior to Demon's Souls release? The game was absolutely being shat on SO HARD that it's incredibly funny afterwards when comparing how people actually liked the game. Not that it wasn't deserved, the game looked like ass even just few months before release.

2) GT6 would have sold even less had they released it on PS4. PS4's userbase is 2 million users strong, PS3's is 80 million. That + the fact that GT is a pretty casual franchise (a lot of people might not buy a PS for much else but Gran Turismo, when they see that one has been released). You do the math. GT6 on PS3 was absolutely a wise thing to do after how long they spent on GT5. And they've said that transitioning from GT6 to GT7 on PS4 won't be too hard of a process, since from what I've understood a lot of the work that has gone to GT5 & GT6 has also been to lay foundations for future developments.

3) I don't see why not greenlit God of War: Ascension. GOWIII is a million seller and as development costs jumped to ever higher levels re-using engines & what they had learned from GOWIII's development is just wise, so it probably seemed like a good decision. And it's a great game, easily one of the better GOW games.

4) He probably recognized Vita as the somewhat of a lost cause that it is, as far as handheld AAA gaming goes. When Uncharted, Wipeout, Gravity Rush, Little Big Planet, Killzone, Everybody's Golf, Soul Sacrifice and such exclusive games + a lot of quality 3rd party ports, some relatively big 3rd party exclusives & fucktons of indies don't sell a console, NO amount of exclusives could have saved it. Realistically speaking Sony could maybe have done maybe 2-3 more exclusives if they either sacrificed late PS3 support (most of them had already started the transition to PS4 or were developing their last PS3 games anyways, so that's really not an alternative) or first/second year PS4 support, neither of which are that good alternatives (their PS3 games actually sell well and PS4 needs as much content during its first two years as possibly to build up userbase). Apart from not releasing a Gran Turismo for Vita, I don't see how much more they could've done for the console. They brought quality entries into their biggest franchises yet none of those managed to sell the handheld.

Vita is absolutely a niche handheld and it doesn't really deserve much more than niche content. I love Vita but that's the sad truth of the matter.

Also, Puppeteer was ready to be released in September. It's the kind of game that wouldn't have made a difference no matter if it's a PS3 or PS4 game, sadly.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
I think I'm just a little frustrated.

Gamescom had behind closed doors footage but no public stuff, TGS had nothing, the Game Informer reveal had stills but no actual gameplay videos, now this.

Me too. That guarded preview in GI certainly did nothing to bring me on board the hype train.

I think perhaps the first teaser was a bad idea, if they weren't ready to keep the project alive throughout several big PS4 media events.

More anxiety comes from the fact this is the first AAA on new hardware for a young company.

I want to anticipate this.... Hey, RAD, invite me over and show me something. :)

NeoROCK

lol@ attacking Shu now because a trailer might or might not be shown at vgx. What is wrong with you people.

Shu is funny and likeable, but he's responsible for a lot of blunders.

TLG and GT5 come to mind.

No TLOU port for PS4 launch. With so many other "cross gen" games like COD:G and ACIV which barely look next gen... theres no reason they couldn't release TLOU on PS4 too. It would've at least made the PS4 Launch scores look more respectable and given a lot of the 360 converts who never owned a PS3 a chance to play TLOU.

GT6 being on PS3 instead of PS4 doesn't make any sense at all. GT 1 and 3 were launched shortly after PS1 and PS2 were released and sold extremely well, so don't use that excuse of being an early game holds back sales.

Having Sanzaru re-create the Sly Cooper series, but letting Jak and Daxter die off. Real head scratcher.

Those all come down to bad management, and Shu is responsible in some form for all of those.

Mario007

Yeah, and it would have destroyed DriveClub sales....
Well DriveClub isn't around for launch.
GT6 be only on PS4 would be a terrible idea due to the lack of a big userbase... and it being a cross gen game would take more resources and would see the PS3 game being delayed therefore reducing its PS3 sales (of course for all we know a GT6 PS4 version could later be announced same with TLOU)

GoW A is likely due to the fact that he gives his studios creative freedom to pursue what they wish to make and the Ascension team decided to choose what they know best and play it safe... Similarly most Sony studios didn't wish to make games for the Vita and he let them be unfortunately....

Puppeteer could've been a cross game I agree but at the time of its development the PS4 was at its early stages and both Shu and Japan Studio where probably unaware how successful the console would be... Also Puppeteer was in creative development for quite awhile but went into limbo until the whole studio was reorganized and structured more properly to become more efficient.... There could be multiple reason for it not being developed for the PS4 who are we to judge without the extra concrete information

Not seeing the potential of Demon Souls was a mistake granted but the guy is only human you'd have to take gambles with these decisions and one can't be always right.... On top of that there are rumours of a Demon Souls sequel so Sony learnt from that mistake

The man has been in the Playstation Division from the very beginning if you'd just cheery pick something from his nearing 20 years career at SCEI then of course you'd find some faults but that is the way the business world works there are some ups and some downs and for Shu he has helped way more people then damning them
I think that's the crux of the issue right there. I mean yeah giving freedom to your teams is nice and all but he is the person in charge of overseeing that they are making the right decisions. Imagine if Miyamoto refused to make a Wii U game, for example, because its a failing console. The same situation is happening within the WWS with the Vita or Move previously.

The buck stops with Yoshida and he should have known that games like GoW:A would yield lower sales, that's his job. Puppetteer should have been a ps4 title without any discussion. It would have benefited from the launch hype and not bomb as spectaculalry as it did. GT is a system seller. We have to get away from this idea that it needs a huge audience from day one. Sure a huge audience helps but people buy a playtation for GT. So that excuse must be thrown out. Especially with the legs that GT titles have. GT6's legs will be drastically cut short by the fact that we're nearing the end of the generation.

I never said Shu hasn't been instrumental in forming playstation but his job as a head of WWS has been a bit of a trainwreck. Especially so when one considers second party partnerships as well. His analysis of the markets, what it demands and how to satisfy it has been very flawed. Shu has many talents but maybe it might be a good job to apply them in a different positition.

KoopaTheCasual

No TLOU port for PS4 launch. With so many other "cross gen" games like COD:G and ACIV which barely look next gen... theres no reason they couldn't release TLOU on PS4 too. It would've at least made the PS4 Launch scores look more respectable and given a lot of the 360 converts who never owned a PS3 a chance to play TLOU.

GT6 being on PS3 instead of PS4 doesn't make any sense at all. GT 1 and 3 were launched shortly after PS1 and PS2 were released and sold extremely well, so don't use that excuse of being an early game holds back sales.

Having Sanzaru re-create the Sly Cooper series, but letting Jak and Daxter die off. Real head scratcher.

Those all come down to bad management, and Shu is responsible in some form for all of those.

You wanted him to commission a port for an unproven IP, which Naughty Dog themselves did not expect to become as big as it did? Tell me you're joking. Or do you expect that all Presidents must have psychic powers?

You're actually clueless.

I don't even mean that in a "haha, you're wrong" kind of way, I mean you have no idea what influenced each one of those decisions.

So to put it down to bad management is what makes this post useless.

kpaadet

Wow this is your reasoning for Shu sucking? No one saw the success of Demon's Souls (yet he chose to publish it so he must have seen some potential), do you think he knew GoW:A would be a sub par God of War game or do you think he knew alot really like GoW so he thought making another one before next gen might be a good idea. GT is following a pattern, 2 main GT games per console I doubt even Shu dictate where they show up. Who would have cared if Puppeteer was a lauch title? Most of the 80 mil install base of the PS3 didn't care, you think it would be a big system seller on PS4 lol. Even if the Vita is dying because it lacks AAA games (which I disagree with) what would you have him do? Force Naughty Dog to make Vita games?

NeoROCK

You're actually clueless.

So... you don't think GT5 and TLG release debacles were bad?

It's bad management and yes Shu is partly responsible.

Read This Article: http://kotaku.com/how-sonys-most-creative-studio-rose-from-the-ashes-1458030068

Getting there, however, won't be that easy. Becker, who has been at the studio for two and half years, inherited something of a mess. "The thing I was shocked by was the number of titles in production," he said of when he first arrived. "That completely blew my mind." At that time, there were 40-something titles in production, and the environment was, what Becker called, "a free-for-all."

Sony's own employees admit StudioJapan was a huge mess. Team ICO missed an entire generation. It's been about 8-9 years since Shadow of the Colossus released. Why are you even paying these guys if they can't get a game out?

Surely Shu must've known what was going on there, and if he didn't... that's his own fault. He's the President after all. He should know what's going on.

Pennywise

Well DriveClub isn't around for launch.

And I bet he knew it from the start eh ?

That delay was never planned, and even if a bunch of Polyphony developer would have ported GT6, it would still take some time and probably launch within the same time frame as DriveClub, which would be bad...
To pull that argument even further, that would delay a proper GT for the PS4...

Mario007

And I bet he knew it from the start eh ?

That delay was never planned, and even if a bunch of Polyphony developer would have ported GT6, it would still take some time and probably launch within the same time frame as DriveClub, which would be bad...
To pull that argument even further, that would delay a proper GT for the PS4...
Well Driveclub could have always been scheduled for a 2014 release with GT6 being a 2013 release.

Another interesting fact actually is that Evolution and Polyphony don't seem to be sharing assets, by the way which is a huge blunder of the WWS managament.

I don't understand how anyone could be legitimately upset at that. Those same people would be the first ones to complain and start a fucking rally the moment some small inconsistencies popped up, it didn't look 100% smooth, etc. They just want to show the best they can show because they give a shit about their product as well as people's perception of it once they see it.

Mario007

So how did his thread go from OMG THEY CANCELED THE ORDER! To bashing Yosp?
My fault, I elaborated why some people might feel Shu is not doing his job well. I think we should leave it for now. I plan on making a thread about Shu sucking at his job over the weekend so we can move the conversation there then.

Top Bottom