• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football/Fútbol/Fussball/Calcio Thread 11/12 |OT5| Manchester Fragrance: Channel N°5

Status
Not open for further replies.

rodvik

y u say that 4 (great tip: Never, ever GIS jimmy hills FUCKING CHIN. Don't.)

_196657_jimmy_hill.150.19-10-98.jpg

Cheats. And he's got a chin you could use as a skate ramp.

In other news, BBC Sports new layout trying to make me look a berk.

Ah the Jimmy Hill /Sunderland love in. Beautiful :) Never forgive, never forget mate :)

I love the way he taunts the fans :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvbXRyH4hek

ChimpanzeeThat, what do you think of Clichy and Nasri?

I'm assuming you mean the manner in which they left in the Summer?

I was more bummed out by Nasri leaving than Clichy if I'm being honest, mainly because I've always been a fan of Samir when he was playing in France and earned the "New Zidane" moniker, and was pleased as punch when he signed for us. Last season for me he was only beginning to scratch the surface of what he's capable of as a player, and what annoyed me is that I'm not convinced he'll achieve that at Man City. I think Man City will definitely win trophies and he'll be a part of that, but I can't see him being the player they rely on when they have others in their ranks that already hold that role. With us, he might not have won the league immediately or anything but I think he would have really flourished with us. At Man City it's so uncertain from one day to the next whether or not he'll even start, which is why a few people disingenuously call him one of the mercenary types we see nowadays, following the money as opposed to the football if you like.

Drawing a parallel, it reminds me of what happened with Shaun Wright-Phillips before he signed for Chelsea. He was a great talent and destined for big things, but he stagnated more or less the entire time he was there. Sure, he has a few winners medals, but he's never going to be considered one of the all time greats, whereas had he signed for someone else, maybe Liverpool or Spurs, he could have developed his game a bit better.

As for Clichy, I honestly could not care less about the potato headed gimp leaving. When Cole left us, he had a good couple of years where he was really trying and developing his game, but then all of a sudden he stopped and it was like he was just going through the motions. Maybe it was an issue he had at the club though as he's not doing too badly at Man City, but with us he was always making mistakes, dwelling too long on the ball, not completing passes and going too far forward, so in that respect I can't say he's been a massive loss.

It's crazy to think that Man City have given us more than £75m for 4 players, and really the only one who I think has been missed has been Nasri.

Interesting rovers fans meeting tonight the idea is to form a new committee under a supporters trust.

I want my old avatar back but can't find it DAMN!

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
D31mp.jpg

Probably made by a Gladbach fan but I must admit, quite funny.

Seeing them come up the rear has been great, even for a BVB admirer. Huge fan of ter Stegen as he tends to be my #1 choice on buying a goalkeeper in football games :p

Though should be interesting to see how they go next season without Reus.

Zabojnik

Oh I know Iaquinta is ageing, but he's a bit of a wild card striker. When he's healthy, he can still pull goals like this off I'm convinced he could still be useful to Conte's tactics, albeit at the bottom of our pecking order, unlike Luca Toni who I absolutely LOVE and will until the day I die but he's just not right for Conte. Given up to three games a week, I'd still keep him in case of injuries. Who knows, he might pull off some amazing things again? Though I'm still holding out hopes that we hold on to Del Piero.

That's your answer right there. Judging from the past two seasons he simply isn't fit enough to play anymore. We'll see what happens at Cesena, but I think it's pretty obvious that we parked him there for one reason only: to get someone, anyone to notice him and take him off our hands come summer.

In other news - all Serie A weekend matches will be played at 3pm. Including Milan - Napoli.
gallrosica.gif

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
I think Iaquinta was good practice for our medical team, we don't have that many injuries anymore. :p

In other news - all Serie A weekend matches will be played at 3pm. Including Milan - Napoli

I'm glad it's on the same day at least.

Arnie

That's pretty embarrassing.

Nearly as embarrassing as certain United fans building Cleverly up to be something that he isn't, as of yet.

Talk of cleverly inspiring title number 20 is as ridiculous as me claiming the return of Spearing is enough to bring back Champions League football.

He's a promising talent, leave it at that. It's the same sort of hyperbole that permeates all of us at some stage, whether it's over results, transfers or youth players.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
I'm assuming you mean the manner in which they left in the Summer?

I was more bummed out by Nasri leaving than Clichy if I'm being honest, mainly because I've always been a fan of Samir when he was playing in France and earned the "New Zidane" moniker, and was pleased as punch when he signed for us. Last season for me he was only beginning to scratch the surface of what he's capable of as a player, and what annoyed me is that I'm not convinced he'll achieve that at Man City. I think Man City will definitely win trophies and he'll be a part of that, but I can't see him being the player they rely on when they have others in their ranks that already hold that role. With us, he might not have won the league immediately or anything but I think he would have really flourished with us. At Man City it's so uncertain from one day to the next whether or not he'll even start, which is why a few people disingenuously call him one of the mercenary types we see nowadays, following the money as opposed to the football if you like.

Drawing a parallel, it reminds me of what happened with Shaun Wright-Phillips before he signed for Chelsea. He was a great talent and destined for big things, but he stagnated more or less the entire time he was there. Sure, he has a few winners medals, but he's never going to be considered one of the all time greats, whereas had he signed for someone else, maybe Liverpool or Spurs, he could have developed his game a bit better.

As for Clichy, I honestly could not care less about the potato headed gimp leaving. When Cole left us, he had a good couple of years where he was really trying and developing his game, but then all of a sudden he stopped and it was like he was just going through the motions. Maybe it was an issue he had at the club though as he's not doing too badly at Man City, but with us he was always making mistakes, dwelling too long on the ball, not completing passes and going too far forward, so in that respect I can't say he's been a massive loss.

It's crazy to think that Man City have given us more than £75m for 4 players, and really the only one who I think has been missed has been Nasri.
KvCVj.gif

Nearly as embarrassing as certain United fans building Cleverly up to be something that he isn't, as of yet.

Talk of cleverly inspiring title number 20 is as ridiculous as me claiming the return of Spearing is enough to bring back Champions League football.

He's a promising talent, leave it at that. It's the same sort of hyperbole that permeates all of us at some stage, whether it's over results, transfers or youth players.
Tom-Cleverley.jpg

You are right though. Though I'm not sure what's so embarrassing about Sandro...

Edit - In fairness to the poster who mentioned it, he did say if he had the same impact as Valencia has had since he's come back into the side. The main reason United fans are so excited about Cleverley is because the difference he made to the quality of our play was very very clear and obvious at the start of the season. I guess it remains to be seen if he was the central factor in that and whether or not he can continue to play to that level consistently. Our hope isn't totally unfounded, though it is over-stated. Still, it's boring being realistic!

You sound a little bit angry

Fry

cena_whistling_gif.gif

Arnie

You sound a little bit angry

Not angry in the slightest, I've said on many occasions that Cleverly is a great prospect, I just don't see how applying such unrealistic expectations to a young player who's already struggled massively with injuries is a pragmatic thing to do.

And to answer someone's query, that video was embarrassing because of all the body tensing and pseudo anime grunting he was doing, not to mention the underwhelming and entirely pointless table death kick he performed at the end.

Amusing as fuck but extremely strange.

Not angry in the slightest, I've said on many occasions that Cleverly is a great prospect, I just don't see how applying such unrealistic expectations to a young player who's already struggled massively with injuries is a pragmatic thing to do.

And to answer someone's query, that video was embarrassing because of all the body tensing and pseudo anime grunting he was doing, not to mention the underwhelming and entirely pointless table death kick he performed at the end.

Amusing as fuck but extremely strange.

mr-grumpy.jpg

Bo-Locks

I said:

If Cleverley can have even half the impact that Valencia has had since his return, then I think we'll get title number 20.

I don't see how that is controversial at all. I was praising Valencia more than anything.

There are solid reasons why United fans are so excited at the prospect of Cleverley. He's a brilliant player with a lot of potential in an area that we have been deficient in for a while now. He's proven himself at many levels (Championship, bottom of the Premiership, top of the Premiership, England U21). Had he not been injured I'm confident he would have been called up to the England squad, got his first international cap and established himself in and around the United first team. I don't think he's just a flash in the pan.

I don't even expect Cleverley to walk straight back into the first team. Carrick has been in great form for a while now and Scholes looks the same player he was last season, but he obviously can't play 90 minutes week in week out.

Fergie said it best: "The way that Tom started the season was absolutely phenomenal. I have not seen a young player have that impact at our club for a long time. He has been a loss because he has something different from everyone else."

It's not just about Cleverley though, we've got a few players coming back from injury, so with our shit luck drawing to its conclusion, we can kick on from here.

So the FA are discussing whether Terry should keep the captaincy or not.

I have a feeling he won't make it.

I really don't agree with those who think the FA are being lenient towards Terry. I don't see that at all. I think they are going to come down on him very hard. Doubt he will be captain at the Euro's and once the court case is done with, if found guilty, I think the FA will give him a long ban.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
They care too much about captaincy. It's not like they're going to captain their team to glory or anything..

Terry shouldn't be captain anyway

scarybore

I want my old avatar back but can't find it DAMN!

This one? (Had to remake it from the source image)

damnb1kxt.png

Searching for it on google brought up some interesting images. Some Olivia Wilde, a lot of sweaty wrestlers, Steve Kean and Kermit with his phone.

So the FA are discussing whether Terry should keep the captaincy or not.

If they had any sense they would suspend from him being the captain until the whole thing is sorted out. If he's found not guilty, then no real harm done and give him back the role. If he is found guilty, they don't retrospectively look like tits.

They care too much about captaincy. It's not like they're going to captain their team to glory or anything..

Lol. That said, England really do care too much about who is the captain.

If they had any sense they would suspend from him being the captain until the whole thing is sorted out. If he's found not guilty, then no real harm done and give him back the role. If he is found guilty, they don't retrospectively look like tits.

Lol. That said, England really do care too much about who is the captain.
You're right. But, I think the FA had hoped it would be settled by the time the Euro's came about, long before then in fact. That way they would have the decision of the court to guide them. It isn't completely straight forwards and a tough job for the FA to get completely right.

I think they will suspend him from being captain now though. Increasing numbers of people speaking out against him. You can tell people are not comfortable with him as captain with this hanging over him and I think the pressure will tell.

It's funny because Terry is so far up his own arse he takes such a stubborn stance. Capello should have never given him the armband back once he took it away.

We do care too much about it in this country though, it's become part of the football culture.

scarybore

What did you look up? :p

Just "Jeff Albertson avatar" I think, might have had neogaf there too at one point. Honestly never knew that Jeff Albertson was the name of the comic book guy from the Simpsons though.

We do care too much about it in this country though, it's become part of the football culture.

Aye, everyone wants to be the next Bobby Moore. Just find it funny cause I don't think anyone here in Scotland could give a diddly fuck who is the captain providing he isn't a complete twat.

rodvik

We will win it, believe.

But yeah, terry shouldnt be captain, I dont think he should be in the team, his form has really taken a downturn.

Messi

Wait, you're Irish? I always thought you were Spanish?

Just love spanish football. Though I can see where people on here might have thought I was spanish, its pretty much all I talk about. But no, all those trips to barca were not from somewhere else in spain but from ireland.

GorillaJu

Holy shit, what nerve did we touch ?

And why is it Liverpool panties that get twisted over Cleverley ?

He gets so much praise you'd think he's Schweinsteiger. Nothin to do with Liverpool.

You all are free to pin your hopes and dreams on a lad who won you the mighty Charity Shield. I won't stop you. :)

Salazar

You all are free to pin your hopes and dreams on a lad who won you the mighty Charity Shield. I won't stop you. :)

Fka3J.gif

It's more that our midfield has demonstrably needed something, and we didn't get it in the transfer market. I think a bunch of posters are

a) missing a bit of irony
b) mistaking anticipation and interest for adulation

And my hopes and dreams are now pinned on the Pog, thank you very much.

GorillaJu

Fka3J.gif

It's more that our midfield has demonstrably needed something, and we didn't get it in the transfer market. I think a bunch of posters are

a) missing a bit of irony
b) mistaking anticipation and interest for adulation

And my hopes and dreams are now pinned on the Pog, thank you very much.

I fully understand its tongue in cheek.

Lucas is going to bend him over and give him a spanking anyway.

And Yurt is going to watch it and like it.

Lightning

Banned
I think Walcott's contract ends in the summer and honestly I couldn't give a fuck if he left. At least then we would have to buy someone to replace him and it can't get much worse than him and Arshavin at the moment.

Just one more season with RVP though is all I'm hoping for next year. If we keep him and Arshavin and Walcott go we will probably be a better team.
Walcott ends next season but unless he signs he will be sold for sure during the summer. TBH I wouldnt miss him either, he has 1 good game a month at best but his general work ethic is poor. Chamberlain has amples more potential IMO and he is the one I want to see starting our games, no more bench sitting. That should be left to our players not performing, like Walcott.

I want Van Persie to sign, I really do but I fear this will be his last year for us and he will go to either Real Madrid or Barcelona. Anywhere but fucking Man City where that cunt Nasri is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom