• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football/Soccer/Fútbol/Fussball/Calcio Thread 2011/12 |OT2| Everyone plays for City

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seep

nemesun said:
Not gonna happen, Moyes will easily keep 'em up. There are way shittier teams out there than Everton with lesser managers.

That's if Gollum stays, he's said in the past if his stars are sold and there's no investment he's off.

Clegg

I agree, Moyes will keep Everton up. There are clearly inferior teams in the PL who are in more trouble.That means Arsenal are going down I'm afraid.

Scott Dann has gone to Blackburn, wow. Blackburn have done okay this window, shame the manager is terrible the team is actually good enough to stay in the division I'd say.

At 6m both Arsenal and Spurs should have taken Dann. For Arsenal even more depth, defence options would have been solid. Same for Spurs.

DOBERMAN INC said:
I really think we(Arsenal) ,Liverpool, Spurs and maybe even chelsea are going to have a huge batte this season for 4th(3rd?).

yeah, the league is much more competitive now. It's baffling that that arsene has failed to see this. I've always been believed in him. what happened in the past weeks have been extremely disappointing.

toythatkills said:
Our first team as it is tonight can beat any team in the Premier League, and we've got cover in positions where we've never had cover before, like for Song. We've also got LEADERS in the team now. Mertesacker is a captain, Benayoun is a captain. And EXPERIENCE. This is a new Arsenal.

Not saying we'll win the league, but we're competitive.

RoseTintedGlasses.jpg

Vivalaraza said:
Scott Dann has gone to Blackburn, wow. Blackburn have done okay this window, shame the manager is terrible the team is actually good enough to stay in the division I'd say.

At 6m both Arsenal and Spurs should have taken Dann. For Arsenal even more depth, defence options would have been solid. Same for Spurs.

Dann isn't really much better than Bassong. What would be the point? We do still have King and Gallas remember. Both start whenever they're fit.

omgkitty

Vivalaraza said:

I completely agree. I think he would have been good for us, but there is always a free for Cahill or dirt cheap in January. No telling where he will go given his choice though. I thought Squillaci was going to leave but I assume not now. It's a shame really because I can't think of a single situation where I would want him to play. I would start Miquel over him at this point. He should have left if possible.

nemesun

Vivalaraza said:

A choice between Mertesacker and Dann, I would pick Per any day of the week. 8m for a German international and captain of his team or some 6m rated nobody..

nemesun

--- Sagna -- Per --- TV --- Santos ---

--------------- Song ------------------

----- Wilshere --------- Arteta -------

-- Walcott ----- RvP ----- Gervinho ---

Looking decent again.

near

Gold Member
Was we shy to spend or something? We could have been more active in the market to be honest, I can't help but feel our midfield still has hole in it and our center backs need support. Gallas and King are never fit, and Kaboul plays better as a RB. :(

In
Parker £6m
Falque (Loan)
Adebayor (Loan)
Friedel (Free)
Ceballos (Free)
Coulibaly (Undisclosed)

Out
O'Hara £5m
R. Keane £3.5m
Palacios £8m
Crouch £10m
Hutton (Undisclosed)
Jeans (Loan)
Bentley (Loan)

Hopefully we'll get Damiao in January. We need another striker, 3 + Kane isn't enough.

Portugal-GAF, what does this mean:

LeandroDamiaoo Leandro Damiao
Saindo para o beira rio galera...Deus nos abençoe...fuiiiii

faridmon

Seep is still an idiot, I see. Glad that the ignore thing is working. Too bad other people are quiting this idiot which makes me see his stupid posts. well, what can youdo!
bbagwell said:
You seem to be pretty infatuated with Everton. Go ask your mom if dinner is ready.
Just ignore him. I have been here long enough to see his bitter points about us.

Fry

Bungieware said:
Hopefully we'll get Damiao in January. We need another striker, 3 + Kane isn't enough.

Portugal-GAF, what does this mean:

LeandroDamiaoo Leandro Damiao
Saindo para o beira rio galera...Deus nos abençoe...fuiiiii

Beira Rio is a stadium. Inter is playing tonight.

sixghost

elseanio said:
Drenthe confirmed to Everton on loan
He was released from his contract by RM. He's on his last year of his deal, so there really wouldn't be much point to loaning him besides some meager fee. I think there's just a sell-on clause.

bbagwell

faridmon said:
Seep is still an idiot. the ignore thing is working. Too bad other people are quiting this idiot which makes me see his stupid posts. well, what can you do!

Sorry about that, my bastard detector caught him. Ignoring the sad fool myself now too.

faridmon

sixghost said:
He was released from his contract by RM. He's on his last year of his deal, so there really wouldn't be much point to loaning him besides some meager fee. I think there's just a sell-on clause.
I hear his contract is transferred to us from RM. I don't know how that works but I know its not a loan but a signing.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
I'm sure we will get Damiao in the next window. The most important thing now is that we get players fit and keep them that way. I'm sure Levy worked hard (it must have been a struggle convincing some clubs to take some of the players we jettisoned), but when you leave it this late you are always taking a risk.

sixghost

faridmon said:
I hear his contract is transferred to us from RM. I don't know how that works but I know its not a loan but a signing.
Let's hope the wages were renegotiated a little bit. I can't imagine Rm has too many players making Everton type wages.

Hopefully this awful transfer window has something to do with debts being cleared to help make the club more attractive to buy. It was really disgraceful.

vall03

hmmm, just woke up and saw Arteta to Arsenal and Benayoun on loan? well at least the last day was a big improvement, lets see how they perform on the pitch

The Arsenal signings were akin to emergency surgery. We managed 4th with an arguably stronger side last year, and with Spurs and Liverpool adding significant improvements to their starting XI, time will tell whether Arsenal will achieve Champions League qualification. But one thing is for sure, we are certainly in with a chance now compared to the situation we found ourselves in at the start of the season.

At the same time, Champions League qualification has always been the minimum with the club for the past decade. Ever since Chelsea started to spend, the Arsenal fans have to watch year after year their side drop down the pecking order and establish themselves as third favourites. Our title chance imploding brought forward fractures, and it was clear the fanbase were not prepared to accept it any longer. How they will react to a further degradation of the side's ambitions this year is another matter.

Personally? Finishing 5th is as unacceptable as it is finishing 2nd considering the context of failing to win the league since 2004. We had the money to buy players that could have helped us challenge for the title, but did not. If Arteta had not been signed, there would have been blood tonight. But honestly, I will not accept the same BS again this season.

We're not going to challenge for the title. Why? Because we don't have the players. Why not? Because we didn't sign them when we had the chance. But why? Ask Arsene. We lost Nasri this year because he felt he had a better chance of winning something elsewhere. What if that turns out true, what kind of message will it send to the rest? This is why it's hard for me to take.

/wanted kaka or hazard

sixghost

faridmon said:
Come on, Its a win-win situation for both of us. Can't you be at least positive for once.
Don't really see how it's a positive for Everton. If this would have been done a month ago, at least we could have brought in N'Zogbia or Barton with the money.

omgkitty

nemesun said:
--- Sagna -- Per --- TV --- Santos ---

--------------- Song ------------------

----- Wilshere --------- Arteta -------

-- Walcott ----- RvP ----- Gervinho ---

Looking decent again.

Wow! It feels really weird and almost unreal looking at that many new faces for Arsenal. Hasn't been that way in a long time. Feels good. Can't wait to see what we can do.

Meus Renaissance said:
The Arsenal signings were akin to emergency surgery. We managed 4th with an arguably stronger side last year...
We had stronger players last season, we've got a stronger side this season. I don't know why people can't see this.

bbagwell

sixghost said:
Don't really see how it's a positive for Everton. If this would have been done a month ago, at least we could have brought in N'Zogbia or Barton with the money.

It most certainly is not a positive for us, except on the ledger - the only place Bill and the board are paying attention.

Hixx

Sad to see Anton Ferdinand go, he looked solid alongside Brown.

£3m with a year left on his contract about right though when we have Turner and Bramble who are no worse than him on our bench.

Bruce has had 5 transfer windows now and still no left-sided players though. Baffling.

Ushojax said:
I'm sure we will get Damiao in the next window. The most important thing now is that we get players fit and keep them that way. I'm sure Levy worked hard (it must have been a struggle convincing some clubs to take some of the players we jettisoned), but when you leave it this late you are always taking a risk.

I guess. We still have a good team, and it's a team that we have improved albeit by a small amount. A bit disappointed that we haven't taken any risks, and I would have liked Cahill but it didn't happen. No confirmation of the Crouch deal on the OS yet. Let's hope that went through. Great business to get £10 million for him.

faridmon said:
Come on, Its a win-win situation for both of us. Can't you be at least positive for once.

don't get me wrong. i rate arteta. But given how arsene has behaved past years about money spent on players and age of players.

he is desperate.

faridmon

sixghost said:
We can't sign anyone and we won't sign anyone. Moyes said that, Kenworth said that we all know this. Whether we sell him now or ealier, it wouldn't made any difference. we have to pay the banks back. N'zogbia was quite expesnive and Bartons wages is something else.

You have to also conseider that Artata was on the biggest wages of the clubs history and getting rid of him might actuallyy turn profit for us in the financial reports next year.

toythatkills said:
We had stronger players last season, we've got a stronger side this season. I don't know why people can't see this.

I think we have a deeper squad than last year, but weaker first XI. The problem is we've failed to replace Cesc, who was an assist machine.

faridmon

bbagwell said:
It most certainly is not a positive for us, except on the ledger - the only place Bill and the board are paying attention.
i think it is positive. Arteta have stagnated and we can help him futrther in his carrer, neither can he help us go on competeing as he can't play with Fillaini at all.

Also, the sooner we pay back the loan the better. Small steps, my friend, small steps.
FlyingTeacup said:
don't get me wrong. i rate arteta. But given how arsene has behaved past years about money spent on players and age of players.

he is desperate.
I can see where you are coming from, but again, you have to panic in order to bring some positivity in the camp after that trashing. I think that trashing have done good for you as he wouldn't even bought anything if that defeat wasn't so heavy.

Fry8 said:
I think so :p why?

Match starts in one hour and a half. It's against Santos (of Neymar and Ganso)

We tried to sign him earlier in the window. They said no and I don't think they want to sell in the middle of their season. They sold Nilmar to Villarreal around this time of the year before and it screwed up their season. I was hoping we had agreed a deal for him to come in January. We have a strategic partnership with Internacional as well.

edit: Also, I really really wanted Ruiz!

nemesun said:
A choice between Mertesacker and Dann, I would pick Per any day of the week. 8m for a German international and captain of his team or some 6m rated nobody..
I think you should have got them both. 16m for two good CB's goes a long way to boosting your squad.

Anyway, done now. See what happens.

Meus Renaissance said:
Do you want to elaborate?
We've got cover in positions where we've not had cover before, like for Song. We've got a team that can play as a team, instead of a team that relies solely on Fabregas and can't function when he's not there. We've got leaders in the team. Yossi and Mertesacker have both captained sides. We've got older players for the younger players to learn from. We've got new players to instill a bit of freshness and confidence into the side. We've got experienced players. We've got players that won't reach February and just completely give up. We've got the best back four we've had in years. We've got the best keeper we've had in years.

There's plenty to feel good about.

FlyingTeacup said:
maybe you want to wait until they actually play together before say this? jesus.
Yeah, you're right. Because what I'm doing is completely different from you going "OH MY GOD WE'RE DOOMED WHY DIDN'T WE BUY SOMEONE FOR £50m WE'RE NEVER GOING TO BE ABLE TO COMPETE NOW EVERYONE AT THE CLUB NEEDS TO BE SACKED OH WOE IS ME."

Completely different.

For the record, I'm not saying specifically that they've gelled as a team already, I meant that they can play as a team, instead of having to play as part of Cesc.

dschalter

FlyingTeacup said:
maybe you want to wait until they actually play together before say this? jesus.

indeed. arsenal lost a player who was class above everyone else on the team and also lost their third best player. i don't see why they have more cohesion or will be better as a team this year (they might be, but it could just as easily be the reverse).

toythatkills said:
Yeah, you're right. Because what I'm doing is completely different from you going "OH MY GOD WE'RE DOOMED WHY DIDN'T WE BUY SOMEONE FOR £50m WE'RE NEVER GOING TO BE ABLE TO COMPETE NOW EVERYONE AT THE CLUB NEEDS TO BE SACKED OH WOE IS ME."

Completely different.

For the record, I'm not saying specifically that they've gelled as a team already, I meant that they can play as a team, instead of having to play as part of Cesc.

i didn't say that. you SAY that. go ahead, quote me.

I'm not saying specifically that they've gelled as a team already, I meant that they can play as a team

gel as a team? play as a team? oh lord.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom