• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football/Soccer/Fútbol/Fussball/Calcio Thread 2011/12 |OT2| Everyone plays for City

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mastadon

Banned
Fry8 said:
We had all that against Stoke too. But we lost 1-0 because of a dodgy penalty.

Blackburn is even worse and you conceded 4. There's surely something wrong with Arsenal

Gah this annoys me so much. We lost because we didn't put away the many chances we had in front of goal. Teams like Liverpool and Arsenal shouldn't be leaving things up to luck.

nemesun

Labadal said:
5 EPL games 14 conceded.

I don't know why Wenger does not play 4-4-2. He doesn't have the right players for his current tactics.
Fucking depressing really. We deserve to be where we're right now.

faridmon

Two former Everton players have scored in one match. Two players that have been very poor at Everton and shining in their respective clubs.

We are certainly doing something wrong. Bloody Moyes!

Ashes

Banned
Labadal said:
5 EPL games 14 conceded.

I don't know why Wenger does not play 4-4-2. He doesn't have the right players for his current tactics.

that's what I'm sayin! you have so much of the possession, arsenal can easily shut up shop.

Para bailar La Bomba said:
Name me one of those players bought in the last 4 years.

Your 4 year limit seems a bit arbitrary, but Fabregas and Nasri definitely qualify from this season as players he bought unfinished and then sold for a massive profit.

Sage00

Once And Future Member
It's the age old problem - You've got to speculate to accumulate. Arsenal's fear of debt and losses is what will end up creating them.

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
Tim the Wiz said:
33wuomp.gif

aww...I wanted to post that...
:'(

avaya said:
You are in denial.

Chriswok said:
Here comes the Arsenal Damage Control.

WE HAD MORE POSSESSION!
WE HAD MORE SHOTS!
WE PLAYED THE BETTER FOOTBALL!
WE HAVE BETTER PLAYERS!
WE HAVE A BETTER MANAGER!

You still lost. Deal with it.

I accept that we have problems. I accept that we've lost. I accept that we're a weaker side compared to last year. But let's look at this from a wider context and examine these games. Outside the Liverpool game, we haven't performed especially poor. Couple that with a consistent flow of own goals, offsides and wonder goals; we have a trail of awful scorelines that on paper suggest a pub team playing in the red and white. That isn't true.

Yes, Wenger ultimately has to take responsibility but I felt this was arguably one of our better performance this season so far. If we had won this game - and we should have - none of you would have come out of your mole holes singing this tune. Simply responding "lol but you didn't" is irrelevant to the point I am making.

I'm one of them most critical Arsenal fans out there, but even I could recognise this match was misfortune wrapped up for us. There is nothing more to it.

The thing is, Arsenal have been vulnerable to good counter-attacking football for several seasons now. What's changed is that their personnel isn't what it used to be: their defensive shape and concentration is much weaker, they lack the leadership and character of players like Adams or Vieira or Gallas and so on. It wasn't so bad until the last few years, and now it's not only United that are taking advantage of this vulnerability, it's also teams like Blackburn today.

Salazar said:
Sam Allardyce could implement his modular footballing program on Neptune.

He is your creature.

:lol Oh, man.

Labadal said:
5 EPL games 14 conceded.

Why on earth does everyone insist teams revert to 4-4-2? It's not the greatest system on earth for goodness sake.

I personally think Arsenal might play 3-5-2 with Frimpong and Song in CM behind Arteta. Wing Backs and then Walcott/Chamakh and RVP up front.

avaya

zomgbbqftw said:
Your 4 year limit seems a bit arbitrary, but Fabregas and Nasri definitely qualify from this season as players he bought unfinished and then sold for a massive profit.

Fabregas was actually stolen from Barcelona from under their noses. He didn't have to do anything to help Fabregas develop, Cesc was already god-tier as a 16yr old. Barca were furious for losing him, their youth team coaches rated better than Messi. Fabregas was already the finished article since he was 10.

Nasri was already a good player at Marseille, he didn't develop anymore than what he would have done naturally.

avaya said:
The own goals have nothing to do with being unlucky.

This makes no sense

nemesun said:
Are you for real? we just lost 4-3 to Blackburn for goodness sake, 8-2 to Manu and we were fucking lucky Swansea handed us that win. Either you're blind and deluded, in that case you should be the next Arsenal manager, you seem to have all the ingredients.

Read my post again because I'm not going to repeat myself.

Clegg

zomgbbqftw said:
He bought Nasri for £12m FFS. Thats hardly cheap.

There is no way you can compare Nasri to the Cesc situation

Meus Renaissance said:
Yes, Wenger ultimately has to take responsibility but I felt this was arguably one of our better performance this season so far. If we had won this game - and we should have - none of you would have come out of your mole holes singing this tune.

Playing well and not winning is more of an issue than being unlucky. You should have won, but you didn't. And that's down to the players the manager has signed, who don't have the right mentality to close out games.

LegoArmo

Meus Renaissance said:
Couple that with a consistent flow of own goals
The own goals you conceded today were entirely the fault of the defence. When a simple free kick comes in and not one of your defenders manages to clear it, and it bounces off of one of them and into the net, that's a mistake. When Blackburn have a winger in your 6 yard box cutting the ball back to Yakubu and it hits a defender and goes in, that's the defences mistake for letting him get into that position.

Simple as that.

zomgbbqftw said:

No, it's not arbitrary it's called a "trend".

Nasri was an established French international when they bought him. Hardly young and unpolished.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Was Gibbs injured? Santos looked fat and well off the pace. I don't remember a single interception from him.

Kweh

Van Persie won't go mid season, he's not like that, but if we don't get in the CL next season, he will most definately leave along with a few others.

nemesun

LabouredSubterfuge said:
The Koscielny own goal didn't look unlucky to me. It looked like an own goal from a casual attempt at a clearance.
Hear, hear. He was strolling about before that OG for goodness sake.

Meus Renaissance said:
This makes no sense

A good defence wouldn't be allowing that kind of space--and, I mean, incredible space--and time on the ball in good positions to attackers so consistently. It's not just bad luck. Before his OG, Koscielny should have been closing down the ball with much more gusto.

Labadal

Dark Machine said:
Why on earth does everyone insist teams revert to 4-4-2? It's not the greatest system on earth for goodness sake.

I personally think Arsenal might play 3-5-2 with Frimpong and Song in CM behind Arteta. Wing Backs and then Walcott/Chamakh and RVP up front.

Because Arsenal does score, but they aren't good enough defensively.

At Meus: Arsenal had a very good first half today, after that they weren't doing many things right.

Salazar

avaya said:
They were both down to crap positioning and awareness.

And down to the fact that if they're not going to mark anybody very closely at all, they are basically just ricochets waiting to happen.

Dark Machine said:
You're working in finance though ZOMG right? Arsenal's board obviously aren't investing much capital into the club to improve the playing staff. They seem much more concerned with cruising on the profits that the Emirates/Champions League must be making them. That cash cannot be being re-invested. OR the Emirates isn't actually making much money for them with the construction costs mortgage on it sucking tons of cash out of the club.

Somewhere along the line, cash is being sucked out of the club, whether it's the board, or repayments on the ground.

Well from what I have seen the Emirates stadium is a secured debt on very low interest rates (unlike Man United or Liverpool) and the latest sales from the Highbury Square development project gives Arsenal more cash in the bank than they have ever had, the player sales vs expenditure is around €200m positive. Those figures alone are enough to wipe out the debt they have secured on the Emirates saving them around €20m a season in interest payments.

My guess is that the new owner Kreonke has had a look at the books and decided that Arsenal are a nicely profitable venture and wants fund his loss making American sporting assets with those profits. The problem is that the money is leaving the club, and like you say without new capital investment and continuing investment in wages Arsenal's prospects don't looks good as there are at least three clubs gunning for 4th place (Arsenal, Liverpool and Spurs) but only one club's business model is dependent on securing ECL football every season.

GorillaJu

Kweh said:
Van Persie won't go mid season, he's not like that, but if we don't get in the CL next season, he will most definately leave along with a few others.

No PL team has ever made it into 4th place with this poor of a record in the opening of the season.

On that note, no PL team has ever won the league after scoring more than 11 goals in their first 3 (or 4? I cant recall) matches. Bad news for City/United?!

Labadal said:
Because Arsenal does score, but they aren't good enough defensively.

At Meus: Arsenal had a very good first half today, after that they weren't doing many things right.

But why do you believe 4-4-2 makes them any better defensively than now? Liverpool played 4-4-2 under Roy Hodgson and got murdered every time. Defensive issues are more to do with players and some training issues than the actual system.

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
holy shit QPR manages to score 1st than being scored 1st.

wait make that 2!! :O

Dibbz

Jeez guys yes Arsenal lost but they didn't play bad. That's the problem though. How do you stop an own goal? There is nothing you can do about it.

zomgbbqftw said:
Well from what I have seen the Emirates stadium is a secured debt on very low interest rates (unlike Man United or Liverpool) and the latest sales from the Highbury Square development project gives Arsenal more cash in the bank than they have ever had, the player sales vs expenditure is around €200m positive. Those figures alone are enough to wipe out the debt they have secured on the Emirates saving them around €20m a season in interest payments.

My guess is that the new owner Kreonke has had a look at the books and decided that Arsenal are a nicely profitable venture and wants fund his loss making American sporting assets with those profits. The problem is that the money is leaving the club, and like you say without new capital investment and continuing investment in wages Arsenal's prospects don't looks good as there are at least three clubs gunning for 4th place (Arsenal, Liverpool and Spurs) but only one club's business model is dependent on securing ECL football every season.

Your analysis is way off. Dig-up their annual report from last year and see how much profit they made before you start making up bullshit.

Labadal

Dark Machine said:
But why do you believe 4-4-2 makes them any better defensively than now? Liverpool played 4-4-2 under Roy Hodgson and got murdered every time. Defensive issues are more to do with players and some training issues than the actual system.

Roy didn't have any confidence from the players. You could see that on the pitch.

Good job Gabby.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom