• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football/Soccer/Fútbol/Fussball/Calcio Thread 2011/12 |OT2| Everyone plays for City

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fady K

Meus Renaissance said:
The worrying thing for Chelsea is that the team that started against WBA averaged around 29-30 years. Chelsea will need to spend again heavily over the next few seasons to replace several of their players.

Their recent signings (for the actual team, not for loan to other teams) are 18, 19, and 23. I actually wanted to get the average of their current squad at the moment, and it is around 25-26 tops!

Mastadon said:
Did anyone know that Phil Neville and Gary Neville are related?

Mind blown.

just kidding Fady <3

Haha, this was one of the first things I learned when I became a footy fan :p

Manager

Saw this over at Redcafe regarding Coates:
News here is the transfer is confirmed and he is travelling to get his medical and personal terms agreed. Definitely moving to Liverpool for 12M euros. At the prices the market is dealing with it's a good deal for both sides. He is not in a million years twice the player Phil Jones is, but not half the player either.

Will be good for them, much better than the dross they have. As far as assessments go, the twitter ones are too negative and the other guy is too gung-ho. Some truth in both.

Lugano was a perfect partner for him at Copa America (but saying Lugano made him look good is like saying Rio makes Vidic look good and viceversa) and he has been an absolute monster for Nacional (but then, the league standard is nothing to write home about).

It is correct to say that he is less imposing than his size would suggest. It is also correct that he is not an all-action charismatic leader of men. He is calm, but assured. He steps up to a challenge and takes responsibility for trying to turn a game around, but you won't see him haranging and/or berating others. He is the sort who owns up when he fucks up rather than point the finger elsewhere. Overall, a really good character, and one that will always inspire affection/admiration/loyalty.

He didn't for one minute cause any problems asking for a move to take advantage of his "moment", he knows it's not a blip. He rejected Dnipro despite them offering him significantly better wages than Pool, he knows what he wants. In the midst of the transfer going ons, his manager asked him to play this weekend despite just having arrived from his break and having no obligation to put himself at risk (the board actually didn't want him to play); he played.

Just seen him interviewed, he says he got better offers but he preferred the EPL and Liverpool being a club with such rich history, etc. He didn't try to make it sound like they were the best team in the world, not at all, just a team with a significant tradition and fanbase which commands respect, but it was clear he is aware there are big challenges ahead to align the current reality and the history. He mentioned Suarez being constantly in touch with him...

Bollocks, I'm going to be in two minds about Liverpool now. Suarez was bad enough, now this kid. Even if I'm a Peñarol fan and by definition shouldn't like Nacional players... Hope they do well, Suarez scores, Coates gets MOTM, but Pool just about manage to draw all games

On other Uruguay news: Forlan off to Inter, sorting personal terms tomorrow, 5M euros, not bad. Lugano off to Juventus, taking a paycut in the process but wanted one final shot at playing for a big team (apparently Chelsea bid but he didn't expect to get any games). Pereira to Chelsea the only one not done and dusted yet.

Fady K

Kylehimself said:
Chelsea fans and whoever else cares...

Edit: First match of the season, what what?

Thanks Kyle! By first match I would like to think they mean "the first match where we will play with much more confidence" :p

Mata may be involved btw!!

Manager

PaulLFC said:
I suppose an actual interview is better than NASRI SCORES FIRST CITY GOAL LOL... oh look its a FIFA screenshot.

It's a very smart way of promoting Fifa 12, I don't get why people scream "classless!!". It's just a freakin photo and the fans love it. The fans love the whole site.

Fergie and Arsene gets away with whining about officials week in and week out and players whine all over Twitter, but as soon as City post a simple Fifa 12 screenshots bricks are shat and the whole City organisation is deemed classless.

madmackem

Jeff Albertson said:
Got to say, just how perfect did Jack Walker do it?

Take over the club, appoint this man:

preview.jpg

Add a couple of these:

article-1327264-00E0428B00000190-890_634x347.jpg

Along with a solid spine

=

erqtZ.jpg

As an aside that Rovers shirt you see next to Bobby Mimms head in the box above the Manweb sign is my Dad, he was in corporate that day through work and all the Liverpool fans were celebrating with him.

sCN6S.jpg

Look at that table, we did our spending in the first couple of years of the league on the likes of Shearer, Sutton, Le Saux, Kenna and Sherwood and built a proper team, the season we won it I think United spent more on one player than we did altogether. It's a shame we never built on it but I'm glad we had it at all.

RIP Jack, we'll never forget!

I remeber that title race, was pretty exciting last day of the season wasnt it. I think thats the season i got my first season ticket at sunderland then reidy came in and changed us for years.

RaGe_pt

So who's watching tommorow's match between us and Barça? Pretty hard game for us of course against the best team in the world. We have some players leaving, our squad is not yet completed so it's an even harder game. I'm betting on Hulk, I hope he is inspired tommorow!

dc89

No wonder Fergie has buried the hatchet with the BBC. Every time he refused a interview United were fined. Them fines add up.

Manager said:
It's a very smart way of promoting Fifa 12, I don't get why people scream "classless!!". It's just a freakin photo and the fans love it. The fans love the whole site.

Fergie and Arsene gets away with whining about officials week in and week out and players whine all over Twitter, but as soon as City post a simple Fifa 12 screenshots bricks are shat and the whole City organisation is deemed classless.
They jelly. Any opportunity to have a crack at City and the swine assemble.

Sit back and enjoy the bleating. I just take the compliment now. :lol

operon

dc89 said:
No wonder Fergie has buried the hatchet with the BBC. Every time he refused a interview United were fined. Them fines add up.

Yes but they never actually collected them as far as I thought, maybe I'm wrong which wouldn't be the first time

Carbonox

AVB has said he's bid for Pereira of Porto.

Joey Barton has said he still doesn't know if he will join QPR as there is a lot to sort out. I'm probably naive in thinking he could stay at Newcastle.

Fabregas was very interesting on the atmosphere at the Emirates, comparing it unfavourably with Highbury. Regarding Nasri comments, Fabregas said: "I never felt at home anywhere as I did at Highbury. It was special"

Atmosphere sucks balls at the Emirates a lot of the time. The fans that sing are separated. The Club have known about this seating issue for ages

RaGe_pt said:
So who's watching tommorow's match between us and Barça? Pretty hard game for us of course against the best team in the world. We have some players leaving, our squad is not yet completed so it's an even harder game. I'm betting on Hulk, I hope he is inspired tommorow!
I'll be watching. Fancy Barca to win it, but would love to see Porto bet them.

dc89 said:
Don't think he ever was. To be fined the BBC had to make an official complaint to the league and I don't think they ever did.

The Strike is over. Finally. I hope the new agreement protects players more than the last one did.

The first matches (the ones wich were meant to be played las weakend) will be played on December.

RaGe_pt

Carbonox_Ratchet said:
AVB has said he's bid for Pereira of Porto.

Joey Barton has said he still doesn't know if he will join QPR as there is a lot to sort out. I'm probably naive in thinking he could stay at Newcastle.

So he better pay 30million euros for him because to AVB, in my opinion, we should only sell for that price.

Kylehimself said:
I'll be watching. Fancy Barca to win it, but would love to see Porto bet them.

Yeah, as a Porto fan I always believe my team can win though I know it's pretty hard.

operon

Kermit The Dog said:

We know you love it really

Facism

confuziz said:
Do the turkish league fans think Fenerbahce is getting kicked out of the super lig?

Unlikely.

A better question is whether Fenerbahce can remain competitive in their own league after not being allowed to conduct transfers, possibilities of more players leaving due to the hassle and stress caused (Emenike has already left, and we signed him last month!) and the loss of champ's league revenue.

I full expect Diego Lugano and Andre Santos to go now, which leaves us fucked in defence.

RaGe_pt said:
So he better pay 30million euros for him because to AVB, in my opinion, we should only sell for that price.

Yeah, as a Porto fan I always believe my team can win though I know it's pretty hard.

Pique won't play, neither Puyol.

That's a way to beat them. Go, Porto!

RaGe_pt

Spanish Wrath said:
Pique won't play, neither Puyol.

That's a way to beat them. Go, Porto!

Mascherano and Abidal will play I guess. We are a team that also likes to have the ball though we can't expect to have it more than Barça. I think we should try to have it as much as possible and pass the ball to Hulk on the first opportunity. Adriano will likely play on his side so Hulk might outrun him sometimes. If we lose, it's no shame of course, but if we win, everyone will be talking about us.

Kermit The Dog said:

I am a bit jelly, making that post above gave me fond memories of being at the top. Cities time is coming, enjoy it as it's not guaranteed to last.

Is it United - Arsenal Sunday? Looks like I'm missing that but with good reason as it's my sons Christening.

Melfice7

RaGe_pt said:

Porto's defense is shaking on their boots lately, im betting on 5-1 for Barça or something

RaGe_pt said:
Mascherano and Abidal will play I guess. We are a team that also likes to have the ball though we can't expect to have it more than Barça. I think we should try to have it as much as possible and pass the ball to Hulk on the first opportunity. Adriano will likely play on his side so Hulk might outrun him sometimes. If we lose, it's no shame of course, but if we win, everyone will be talking about us.

My guess is that Busquets will play in Piqué's position with El Jefecito on his side.

Cesc-Xavi-Iniesta and Pedro-Villa-Messi.

Shit, it sounds like they are going to destroy Porto :/

RaGe_pt

Melfice7 said:
Porto's defense is shaking on their boots lately, im betting on 5-1 for Barça or something

We are not on our best yet though I don't see us losing for that result. I might be wrong of course but I don't think they'll score us 5 goals.

RaGe_pt

Spanish Wrath said:
My guess is that Busquets will play in Piqué's position with El Jefecito on his side.

Cesc-Xavi-Iniesta and Pedro-Villa-Messi.

Shit, it sounds like they are going to destroy Porto :/

On paper it sounds like that, let's see what happens on the pitch :)

RaGe_pt

Spanish Wrath said:
Let's hope it doesn't come true and you can end (or begin) a wonderful season. You deserve it.

Thanks man ;). I'm pretty confident for this new season. Which team do you support btw?

EDIT: Real Madrid, I saw on the OT ;)

omgkitty

nemesun said:
Today is the CL draw right? I'm kinda excited especially after that close shave yesterday.

Yeah we have had noticeably easy draws the last few years, so hopefully if it happens again we won't fuck it up and come second in the group again.

nemesun

omgkitty said:
Yeah we have had noticeably easy draws the last few years, so hopefully if it happens again we won't fuck it up and come second in the group again.
We made a meal of it last year, I still can't believe we ended up finishing second in that piss easy group after bossing it for so long. It was effin' infuriating.

Manager

I feel Milan are by far the strongest team in the 2nd pot. Most teams in the first pot seems certain for group win already, except Porto, Arsenal (tend to get easy groups) and Inter I'd say.

Wouldn't say no to Porto from pot 1, anyone but Milan in 2 and then any in pot 4.

nemesun

Manager said:
I feel Milan are by far the strongest team in the 2nd pot. Most teams in the first pot seems certain for group win already, except Porto, Arsenal (tend to get easy groups) and Inter I'd say.

Wouldn't say no to Porto from pot 1, anyone but Milan in 2 and then any in pot 4.
I personally want to avoid Dortmund, and Napoli at all cost and preferably no long trip to Russia/Ukraine.

Manager

nemesun said:
I personally want to avoid Dortmund, and Napoli at all cost and preferably no long trip to Russia/Ukraine.

You're right about Dortmund, I still feel City's depth can overcome them, their defense is vulnerable to injuries. They also lost Sahin.

Subotic/Hummels is an impressive pairing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom