• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football/Soccer/Fútbol/Fussball/Calcio Thread 2011/12 |OT2| Everyone plays for City

Status
Not open for further replies.

PJX

Add me to the Liverpool camp.

Also what do Liverpool fans think of Coates? To be honest, I haven't seen him play at all. For the Copa, I only really paid attention to Suarez.

Yurt said:
Arsenal fans are seriously underrating their team!

Clichy and Nasri were hardly their best players. Clichy IMO was a hole in the back :p

Clichy suck. I'm really glad we didn't end up with him at Liverpool. The guy is a horrible defender.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
8419_ori_bruno_alves.jpg

How good is Bruno Alves? Is he better than Alex? all I know is that he can jump really high :p

To be honest, I haven't seen him play at all. For the Copa, I only really paid attention to Suarez.

He looked REALLY solid, you can't go wrong with his price and age really.

Fry

Anyone seen this? Really interesting, don't know if it's 100% true though, it was made by mancs.

'What teams have tried to buy the title?'

1992-93: Blackburn £8.11m (4th); ­champions Manchester United £2.3m.
1993-94: Blackburn £8.65m (2nd); champions Manchester United £3.75m.
1994-95: Everton £10.9m (15th); champions ­Blackburn £6.8m.
1995-96: Newcastle £14.78m (2nd); champions Manchester United £750,000.
1996-97: Newcastle £16.5m (2nd); champions Manchester United £7.5m.
1997-98: Newcastle £21m (13th); champions Arsenal £16.55m.
1998-99: Manchester United biggest spenders with £27.75m and also ­champions.
1999-2000: Liverpool £36.3m (4th); ­champions Manchester United £10m.
2000-01: Leeds £38.45m (4th); ­champions Manchester United £7.8m.
2001-02: Manchester United £57m (3rd); champions Arsenal £23.25m.
2002-03: Manchester United biggest spenders with £33m and also champions.
2003-04: Chelsea £121m (2nd); champions Arsenal £13.25m.
2004-05: Chelsea biggest spenders with £89m and also champions.
2005-06: Chelsea biggest spenders with £63.4m and also champions.
2006-07: Chelsea £64m; champions Manchester United £18.6m.
2007-08: Manchester United biggest spenders with £52.125m and also ­champions.
2008-09: Manchester City £113m (10th); ­champions Manchester United £46.75m.
2009-10: Manchester City £124m (5th); ­champions Chelsea £23.5m.
2010-2011: Manchester City £155m (3rd); champions Manchester United £27m
2011-2012: Manchester City £84m; champions….?

dvWol.jpg

Facism

Kozak said:
Take Fenerbahce out of Champions League due to match fixing allegations, put in Trabzonspor who is also facing match fixing allegations.

TFF fuck yeah!

It's a hilariously corrupt decision, isn't it? TFF on fine form right there.

At least Besiktas has European games in the babby league.

WJD

Fry8 said:
Anyone seen this? Really interesting, don't know if it's 100% true though, it was made by mancs.

dvWol.jpg

Got to say that reflects quite well on United.

WJD

Fry8 said:
I don't like to say it but it's fantastic. Alex Ferguson is quite the manager.

Indeed. Scousers constantly anticipating the decline of United need look no further than his retirement. Though, with the team he seems to be leaving behind, they might have to wait a little longer after that!

snoopen

WJD said:
Got to say that reflects quite well on United.
Most of history does, unbelievable how successful Ferguson has been..

Should have a similar chart for successful clubs and how many managers they have had.. probably not 5 in 6 years.

Facism

Supposedly Fenerbahce's manager has resigned over the withdrawal of the team from the Champions League.

Fenerbahce are appealing the withdrawal, and threatening to withdraw from the turkish league in order to cost the TFF hundreds of millions of euros in TV and match rights.

Need a pic of the UEFA head guy with

"Ban Fenerbahce from CL due to possible matchfixing"
pic
"Replace with Trabzonspor despite possible matchfixing"

neoanarch

Fry8 said:

dvWol.jpg

Sort of unfair on City really. Chelsea were already a top 6 team when Abromavich came in. City had a much tougher mountain to climb. They were in league 2 at one point and they were relegation contenders before the money came in the premier league.

Manager

Fry8 said:

dvWol.jpg

City didn't spend £84m, it's 24m+7m+6m+38m = £75m. Rumours were that Aguero cost £35m, so it might be less.

United have spent money each year for a long period. For a 15 year long period. City and Chelsea haven't (though Chelsea haven't been light generally), so that table is very unfair.

Seep

Fry8 said:

dvWol.jpg
Spending the most doesn't equal buying the title. United already had a great team that's why they don't need to spend silly money like everyone else who are just trying to get to their level.

Manager

Seep said:
Spending the most doesn't equal buying the title. United already had a great team that's why they don't need to spend silly money like everyone else who are just trying to get to their level.

Amen. City have spent a lot of money on their academy lately, something they haven't been able to do before. More and more talent will come through it.

And by spent money I meant poached every 16 y/o talent out there

Manager

snoopen said:

Savic didn't cost £9m, there are no sources that has reported that (it's £6m, max £7m). But I forgot Costel. According to Mancini he's a loan and fee will be paid next summer (which makes no sense since he has signed a contract), but I guess the fee should be included, my bad.

edit
Many of those fees are wrong, what is that site? Barcelona themselves said Yaya cost £20m.

Fady K

Random trivial post for those who may not have ever known - Did you know that Harry Redknapp is Frank Lampard's uncle?

WJD

Fady K said:
Random trivial post for those who may not have ever known - Did you know that Harry Redknapp is Frank Lampard's uncle?

No offence intended, but I always get the impression you only just discovered football recently :p

did you know Harry Redknapp is Jamie Redknapp's Dad?

Fady K

WJD said:
No offence intended, but I always get the impression you only just discovered football recently :p

did you know Harry Redknapp is Jamie Redknapp's Dad?

Hahah well to be honest a year ago I didn't care too much about football. Now it's like a necessity :p

neoanarch

Fady K said:

This one might blow your mind. Kun Aguero is married to Diego Maradonas daughter and they have a son.

elseanio

Rafael is the brother of fellow Manchester United player Fabio

Edit* as for the Neville brothers, their dad is called Neville Neville!

Fry8 said:

dvWol.jpg

Table isn't reflective of total spending and seems to miss out some transfers. In my estimation, since 2006, Man Utd have spent just over £190m, that's an average of close to £32m a year. United have won the league 4 times in those 5 years, coming second to Chelsea in 09/10 by only a point.

For Chelsea, in the same period, well I stopped counting at £250m. Liverpool and Spurs have also spent significant amounts. It goes to show that even winning the league, United have spent quite a lot to either reinforce, or arguably, maintain their side.

Carbonox

Now Newcastle are in for Nolan Roux. For crying out loud GET SOMEONE IN, ANYONEEEEEEE.

Move for Pieters is happening, though, which is good providing we get him in before the weekend.

The worrying thing for Chelsea is that the team that started against WBA averaged around 29-30 years. Chelsea will need to spend again heavily over the next few seasons to replace several of their players.

Chelsea fans and whoever else cares...

chelsea.com said:
VILLAS-BOAS PRESS CONFERENCE LIVE THIS AFTERNOON

Posted on: Thu 25 Aug 2011

Chelseafc.com is offering fans the facility to watch Andre Villas-Boas's pre-match press conference live on your PC.
The manager will have all the latest news ahead of our first match of the season, including the latest on injuries and discussion about new signing Juan Mata.
Coverage of the conference begins at approximately 12.45pm this afternoon and if you click here it will be streamed directly to your computer.

Edit: First match of the season, what what?

Seep

Has Webb renewed his contract at united yet? I'd love him at Anfield he'd give us that extra dimension.

dc89 said:
What makes Nasri so good?

Read the article. Very informative and actually from someone who is in a position to really talk about Nasri.

But here is a sneak peak:

2ivmzbk.png
Maybe if he'd spent less time passing in the final third and more time shooting, Arsenal would have picked up a few more points.

His quotes about how since Arsenal left Highbury their fans aren't passionate are ridiculous. The guy never even played at Highbury.

Seep said:
Has Webb renewed his contract at united yet? I'd love him at Anfield he'd give us that extra dimension.

Fuck off.

Webb has said that he loves the club and isn't the type to go looking for a bigger pay packet. Besides it's the only club to be at if he wants to win trophies.

Fry8 said:

dvWol.jpg

Got to say, just how perfect did Jack Walker do it?

Take over the club, appoint this man:

preview.jpg

Add a couple of these:

article-1327264-00E0428B00000190-890_634x347.jpg

Along with a solid spine

=

erqtZ.jpg

As an aside that Rovers shirt you see next to Bobby Mimms head in the box above the Manweb sign is my Dad, he was in corporate that day through work and all the Liverpool fans were celebrating with him.

sCN6S.jpg

Look at that table, we did our spending in the first couple of years of the league on the likes of Shearer, Sutton, Le Saux, Kenna and Sherwood and built a proper team, the season we won it I think United spent more on one player than we did altogether. It's a shame we never built on it but I'm glad we had it at all.

RIP Jack, we'll never forget!

Fady K

neoanarch said:
This one might blow your mind. Kun Aguero is married to Diego Maradonas daughter and they have a son.

I actually only found out about this 2 weeks ago. Mind blown indeed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom