• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/2012 | OT11 | Roll on the Euros and transfer muppetry

Status
Not open for further replies.

fuenf

Some stats on Gomez (this CL Season):

Code:
       Minutes  Goals  PKs  Assists  Attempts on Target / off Target 	 

Messi 	990	 14	5*	5	36	/ 31
Gomez	1003	 12	0	0	29	/ 15
Ronaldo	930	 10	2	2	30	/ 25

Robben	669	 4	2*	2	15	/ 13
(*Messi and Robben each missed one penalty)

So sure sometimes his playstyle looks bad and he doesnt really participate in build up player but it's a fucking myth that he's taking too many chances. Get him in a decent position and he'll score at a better clip than most other players, it's just that Bayern sucks at creating quality chances.

That is not to say that we dont need more strikers and an alternative to him. But the hate on him in this thread is unbelievable.

TrueBlue

Christian Spiller, sports editor of Die Zeit

iD4HYJnOv5OF6.gif

VgXCk.gif

i'm not proud of it but i watched a few hazard youtube compilations last night.

What's there to be ashamed about? He seems like a great player. He's smart though and not only trying to get the best contract and conditions for himself, but he's also shooting up his own price tag with vague hints and being undecided, now Chelsea are trying to overbid too and the Lille president no doubt loves the price getting up. I am sure whoever he signs for fans will love him no matter what, yes even all you United people. :p

elsk

Banned
Btw, the Javi Martínez 40m clause is only for spanish teams, apparently. So Bayern could end up buying him for much less.

I must admit it's pretty funny how quickly United fans have turned on the ultra-defeatist defense mechanism. It's still the biggest team in the world and a player who wants to make his mark on the world is going to be considering more than just wages. Your team may have lost a tiny sliver of clout in the transfer market because the owners aren't spending like sheikhs, but if I were someone like Hazard, I'd take United over City any day. You won't change from a good player to a great player at City - at United, it's a much more likely event.
It's not the biggest team in the world for players. Commercially it is but Real Madrid is by far and away the most attractive club for players.

They are even well ahead of Barcelona, Barcelona is a great great club also but the main reason they are attracting so many players right now is because of their style and because they are winning everything.

There's a suggestion United fans are being negative...but really, as Clegg pointed out, we're just being realistic, we've heard this story many many times before. It's happened pretty much every summer for the last 5 summers and that player who we've been linked with has inevitably ended up somewhere else. Off the top of my head I can think of; Sneijder, Sanchez, Nasri, Ozil, David Villa, Benzema, Ronaldinho, Torres, Robben and Essien as players who were linked to United time and time and time again in the press (and I'm sure the interest was real every time) but we didn't get a single one of those.

It's not the biggest team in the world for players. Commercially it is but Real Madrid is by far and away the most attractive club for players.

They are even well ahead of Barcelona, Barcelona is a great great club also but the main reason they are attracting so many players right now is because of their style and because they are winning everything.

There's a suggestion United fans are being negative...but really, as Clegg pointed out, we're just being realistic, we've heard this story many many times before. It's happened pretty much every summer for the last 5 summers and that player who we've been linked with has inevitably ended up somewhere else. Off the top of my head I can think of; Sneijder, Sanchez, Ozil, David Villa, Benzema, Ronaldinho, Torres, Robben and Essien as players who were linked to United time and time and time again in the press (and I'm sure the interest was real every time) but we didn't get a single one of those.

But you did get Ashley Young!

Arnie

The Independent are really pushing the idea that AVB is the clear favourite, and Tony Barrett from The Times seems to concur.

Listening to The Anfield Wrap now one of them made an excellent point in a very crude way that I think a few Liverpool fans would agree with, after having 'messiah' like managers such as Rafa and Kenny where every defeat is more than a defeat and a knock on our pride and tradition, I quite fancy just bringing in 'a dick head so I can put my feet up'.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
"Juventus turned over €150m last year but expects to top €250m next season with Champions League football following Seria A victory."

LISeO.gif

Happy for Napoli, that squad deserved some sort of silverware and it'll more than likely be broken up this summer. Regardless of whether they do sell some of their stars, they've come a hell of a long way in just a few years.
Definitely.

It's a shame about (most of) their supporters though. Without getting into details :p

PaulLFC

The Independent are really pushing the idea that AVB is the clear favourite, and Tony Barrett from The Times seems to concur.

Listening to The Anfield Wrap now one of them made an excellent point in a very crude way that I think a few Liverpool fans would agree with, after having 'messiah' like managers such as Rafa and Kenny where every defeat is more than a defeat and a knock on our pride and tradition, I quite fancy just bringing in 'a dick head so I can put my feet up'.
Listened to it myself before. I can see what he's saying in a way, but I wouldn't think of it that way. I'm sure he was just exaggerating and he doesn't mean this, but for me it doesn't matter who we bring in - every defeat will still hurt.

I want us to win things. In a perfect world I want us to win every game, even though that's 99.9% certainly not going to happen. No matter who is the manager, a win will still put me in a good mood, and a loss will still put me in a bad mood.

Obviously if we bring back Rafa a lot of fans including myself would be happier, just because we know he's been here before, we know he has what it takes to make us compete in Europe and the league when backed with money (see 08/09, after that season he wasn't given the backing he should have been given to really push on in 09/10 and try to win the league, and it showed). But no matter how happy or unhappy I am with whoever is appointed, first and foremost what matters is the results on the pitch.

Arnie

It's a shame about (most of) their supporters though. Without getting into details :p
Oh I'm well aware, they were a bunch of dickheads when they came to Anfield.
Listened to it myself before. I can see what he's saying in a way, but I wouldn't think of it that way. I'm sure he was just exaggerating and he doesn't mean this, but for me it doesn't matter who we bring in - every defeat will still hurt.

I want us to win things. In a perfect world I want us to win every game, even though that's 99.9% certainly not going to happen. No matter who is the manager, a win will still put me in a good mood, and a loss will still put me in a bad mood.

Obviously if we bring back Rafa a lot of fans including myself would be happier, just because we know he's been here before, we know he has what it takes to make us compete in Europe and the league when backed with money (see 08/09, after that season he wasn't given the backing he should have been given to really push on in 09/10 and try to win the league, and it showed). But no matter how happy or unhappy I am with whoever is appointed, first and foremost what matters is the results on the pitch.

I think he means that because we revere Kenny and Rafa so much a defeat hurts twice as much.

The think that scares me about AVB is all the horror stories from his time at Chelsea.

PaulLFC

Merely OK for me

Picky c
omrade
I'd be happy with AVB. I'd be happier with Rafa, but sooner or later I'm going to have to resign myself to the fact he's not coming back, so AVB would be second choice.

The think that scares me about AVB is all the horror stories from his time at Chelsea.
They have me worried a bit, but hopefully he's learnt lessons from his time there and he'll know what he did wrong, and try to change those things if he does get the job here.

Arnie

I'd be happy with AVB. I'd be happier with Rafa, but sooner or later I'm going to have to resign myself to the fact he's not coming back, so AVB would be second choice.

You listened to The Anfield Wrap? One of them talked to a journalist off the record and they talked about AVB's time at Chelsea as an unreported nightmare for reasons beyond just player power. Sounded incredibly ominous. To the point where someone then made a convincing argument for Martinez.

Yen

You listened to The Anfield Wrap? One of them talked to a journalist off the record and they talked about AVB's time at Chelsea as an unreported nightmare for reasons beyond just player power. Sounded incredibly ominous. To the point where someone then made a convincing argument for Martinez.

Tony Evans called him a grade-A prick last night.

Wessiej

I respect De Boer and completely understand his reasoning for rejecting the approach. Probably not a good idea to be tweeting the Sun if you really do respect the club though. He probably didn't realise his mistake.

Whatup with The Sun and Liverpool? I know its a bad newspaper but any rivalry there?

Also, porto,...doing it wrong. Surprised by City btw.

AtatyHwCQAA_eD9.png:large

Arnie

Whatup with The Sun and Liverpool? I know its a bad newspaper but any rivalry there?

They posted lies about Liverpool fans following Hillsborough, claiming they robbed and urinated on the dead. They later admitted that the story was a fabrication and apologised, but it's never been accepted across Merseyside. Liverpool fans don't buy The Sun.

PaulLFC

I did hear that, if true then it does present a risk. I just think, who else would we get?

I think there's 3 candidates who would take the job - AVB (poor experience of a top 4 club that may or may not have helped him at this point, reported bad man management), Martinez (unproven at a top club, no telling whether pressure to get results which FSG will want will get to him), and Rafa (proven at Liverpool, but FSG apparently have the impression that he's difficult to work with).

I wouldn't be massively unhappy if Martinez got the job, and he may well do. But I'd prefer Rafa firstly, and then AVB, to see if he's learned from his Chelsea experience and see how he copes with having to deal with less less "player power".

Wessiej

They posted lies about Liverpool fans following Hillsborough, claiming they robbed and urinated on the dead. They later admitted that the story was a fabrication and apologised, but it's never been accepted across Merseyside. Liverpool fans don't buy The Sun.

Oh my, yeah I would never buy that shit again if they said stuff like that, god.

Messi

Ok, I have a request for Football GAF. I want you all to vote on what name goes on the back of this seasons kits. Names with the most votes win.

These kits:

FRANCE Away
PORTUGAL Home
PORTUGAL Away
SPAIN Home
SPAIN Away
NETHERLANDS Home
NETHERLANDS Away
GERMANY Home
GERMANY Away
BRAZIL Home
BRAZIL Away

MANCHESTER UTD Home
MANCHESTER CITY Home
ARSENAL Home
CHELSEA Home
LIVERPOOL Home

BARCELONA Home
BARCELONA Away
JUVENTUS Home
NAPOLI Home
AC Milan Home
BAYYYYYYERN Home

Vote away GAF. Thanks :p

Fry

So... Bayern vs Netherlands NT tomorrow.

iIyoR9dpXnCnH.gif

Messi to want this shirt very bad.

FRANCE Away Ribery
PORTUGAL Home
Pepe
C. Ronaldo
eeer. Meireles
SPAIN Home Torres
NETHERLANDS Afellay
GERMANY Home Schweine
BRAZIL Home Lucas
MANCHESTER UTD Home Vidic
MANCHESTER CITY Home Aguero
ARSENAL Home Podolski
CHELSEA Home Mata
LIVERPOOL Home Higuain
Agger

BARCELONA Home someone you don't have already

JUVENTUS Home Marchisio
NAPOLI Home Cavani
AC Milan Home Pato
BAYYYYYYERN Muuuulleeeeeeer

spidye

Ok, I have a request for Football GAF. I want you all to vote on what name goes on the back of this seasons kits. Names with the most votes win.

These kits:

FRANCE Away
PORTUGAL Home
PORTUGAL Away
SPAIN Home
SPAIN Away
NETHERLANDS Home
NETHERLANDS Away
GERMANY Home
GERMANY Away
BRAZIL Home
BRAZIL Away

MANCHESTER UTD Home
MANCHESTER CITY Home
ARSENAL Home
CHELSEA Home
LIVERPOOL Home

BARCELONA Home
BARCELONA Away
JUVENTUS Home
NAPOLI Home
AC Milan Home
BAYYYYYYERN Home

germany home/away/bayyyyyyern MÜLLER
he's just awesome

Feorax

Last weeks podcast put it into perfect perspective. The crowd can't boo a legend, nor can they cheer for mediocrity. Means we're caught in two minds and the result has been the death of the atmosphere at Anfield this year.

Even if the next manager is another Roy Hodgeson, at least hate is something the fans could get behind, as morbid as that sounds...

Wessiej

These kits:

FRANCE Away - Giroud
PORTUGAL Home - no
PORTUGAL Away - no
SPAIN Home - Mess..uhh Fabregas
SPAIN Away - Torres
NETHERLANDS Home - Heitinga
NETHERLANDS Away - Elia
GERMANY Home - Götze
GERMANY Away - Reus
BRAZIL Home - Roberto Carlos (sure)
BRAZIL Away - Neymar

MANCHESTER UTD Home - Wellbeck
MANCHESTER CITY Home - Berbasex
ARSENAL Home - Nas..fabre..pers...- Wallcot
CHELSEA Home - Mireiles
LIVERPOOL Home - SUAREEEEEEEEZ

BARCELONA Home - Pique
BARCELONA Away - Messi
JUVENTUS Home - Elia
NAPOLI Home - Hamsik
AC Milan Home - Emanuelson
BAYYYYYYERN Home - ROBBEEEEEEEEEN

no prob

TrueBlue

That does sound pretty morbid. I don't think it's right that fans should ever be united in hatred, even if it does lead to stronger unity as a whole.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso

These kits:

FRANCE Away Abidal
PORTUGAL Home Pepe
PORTUGAL Away CR7
SPAIN Home Ramos
SPAIN Away Xabi Alonso
NETHERLANDS Home Heitinga
NETHERLANDS Away Heitinga
Am I doing it right, Wessiej?
GERMANY Home Ozil
GERMANY Away Khedira
BRAZIL Home Ramires
BRAZIL Away Ramires

MANCHESTER UTD Home Kagawa
MANCHESTER CITY Home Hazard
ARSENAL Home RVP
CHELSEA Home Drogba
LIVERPOOL Home Spearing
<3

BARCELONA Home Messi
BARCELONA Away Abidal
JUVENTUS Home Del Piero + scudetto patch
NAPOLI Home Not Cavani or Lavezzi
AC Milan Home Ibra
BAYYYYYYERN Home: Bastian Schweinsteiger
I picked the longest name

These kits:

FRANCE Away M'Vila
PORTUGAL Home Nani
PORTUGAL Away Ronaldo
SPAIN Home Llorente
SPAIN Away Soldado
NETHERLANDS Home Van Persie
NETHERLANDS Away Strootman
GERMANY Home Ozil
GERMANY Away Gotze
BRAZIL Home Neymar
BRAZIL Away Hulk

MANCHESTER UTD Home Cleverley
MANCHESTER CITY Home Aguero
ARSENAL Home Oxlade-Chamberlain
CHELSEA Home Drogba
LIVERPOOL Home Keep Blank

BARCELONA Home Tello
BARCELONA Away Alves
JUVENTUS Home Vidal
NAPOLI Home Hamsik
AC Milan Home Boateng
BAYYYYYYERN Home Scweinsteiger

You're buying all these this year? I'd say get Neuer and De Gea for Bayern and ManUtd though, but those are different kits so I didn't.

EDIT: Maybe we should all pick names of players who aren't on the teams. So we should all put C. Ronaldo on the back of the Barcelona jerseys. See if he follows through with what he said he'd do.

immy

Banned

These kits:

FRANCE Away
PORTUGAL Home
PORTUGAL Away
SPAIN Home
SPAIN Away
NETHERLANDS Home
NETHERLANDS Away
GERMANY Home
GERMANY Away
BRAZIL Home
BRAZIL Away

MANCHESTER UTD Home
MANCHESTER CITY Home
ARSENAL Home
CHELSEA Home
LIVERPOOL Home

BARCELONA Home
BARCELONA Away
JUVENTUS Home
NAPOLI Home
AC Milan Home
BAYYYYYYERN Home

How much do you spend on football kits?!

Slizz

These kits:

FRANCE Away
PORTUGAL Home
PORTUGAL Away
SPAIN Home
SPAIN Away
NETHERLANDS Home
NETHERLANDS Away
GERMANY Home
GERMANY Away
BRAZIL Home
BRAZIL Away

MANCHESTER UTD Home
MANCHESTER CITY Home
ARSENAL Home
CHELSEA Home
LIVERPOOL Home

BARCELONA Home
BARCELONA Away
JUVENTUS Home
NAPOLI Home
AC Milan Home
BAYYYYYYERN Home

M'Vila
Nani
C. Ronaldo
Iniesta
David Silva
RVP
Afellay
Schweini
Ozil
Ganso
Neymar
Scholes
Aguero
Podolski
Mata

Sanchez
Alves
ADP
Cavani
Boateng
Mueller

Arnie

That does sound pretty morbid. I don't think it's right that fans should ever be united in hatred, even if it does lead to stronger unity as a whole.

It's less hatred, more distaste. Any Liverpool fan was appalled by not just the results under Hodgson, but the performances too. At games you'd here descent from all age groups of either gender. That couldn't happen under Dalglish because of his status, and that in general there were positives to be taken from the pitch, even if the results left a rancid taste in our mouths.

It's not that we're excited to be back in a Hodgson position, it just makes formulating our feelings much easier both after the games and on here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom