• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2017/18 |OT| Relegated to Community

Status
Not open for further replies.

TimmmV

BREAKING: Man City have made a player-plus-cash offer for Alexis Sanchez involving Raheem Sterling. More on @MirrorFootball

From John Cross who's meant to be a decent Arsenal source iirc.

This would be a terrible deal for everyone involved

Sterling would stagnate in this Arsenal team, and just pull the same shit he did in the last 6 months at Liverpool.

City would gain a player a very good player, but also lose an extremely talented one in the process - and they could get the same player for free in a year. Its not worth it, even for someone with as much money as City

I'm fine with Ox as a RWB back-up. If we can develop him he may even overtake Moses.

I'm fine with Drinkwater as well, assuming the price isn't dumb. Kante is familiar with him, it's an acceptable depth signing.

Llorente as a backup striker would be nice.

Don't really care for VVD at that price. We have Luiz, Cahill, Christensen, Rudiger and Azpi at CB. Spending 70-80m to slightly improve our strongest position doesn't seem wise to me, that money can have a much greater impact somewhere else on the pitch.

Moobabe

It doesn't seem like Ox has the defensive nous to play RWB to be honest, but I guess that's in the Arsenal team with a much poorer defence than Chelsea so maybe it could work

Well, would you have said Moses had the defensive nous? Conte seems to be a great coach so maybe he can get something extra out of Ox. Lord knows Wenger had no clue where to play him (or anything else for that matter)

Gavin Robertson

Neo Member
Depending on the amount of cash offered, I'd be tempted by that Sanchez deal. A rebuild at Arsenal is required, and adding a 22 year old with obvious talent could be a good first step.

However, securing a manager that will get the best out of him is a must.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Guardiola actually seems to like Sterling though. More than Joe Hart anyway.

Just to clarify, I don't think this deal is realistic in the slightest. But if it was what Pep wanted, I'm sure City would bend over backwards to make it happen.

Doc_Drop

True, though Moses showed good defensive work under Mou which is probably the main reason Conte has continued with him there, especially given they've changed to 3 at the back.

Who knows, I'd like to see Ox get regular games

Rumor is that Monaco are going for Carvalho and Keita Balde to replace Fabinho and Lemar.

Also apparently Origi could be used to sweeten the deal for Lemar to Liverpool. Totally down with this. Origi lacks confidence when he's not on form and playing at Monaco under their system can thaw out the raw diamond. I have no problem with him going the way of Suso and becoming a great future player rather than talent with potential.

Van Dijk to Liverpool is also gaining traction. Feels like we needed 3rd instead of 4th last season to really get things done faster.

Best wishes.

BREAKING: Man City have made a player-plus-cash offer for Alexis Sanchez involving Raheem Sterling. More on @MirrorFootball

From John Cross who's meant to be a decent Arsenal source iirc.

Load of bollocks. Getting a player swap at this time of the transfer window isn't going to happen. Maybe if it was Sancho as he wants out and Arsenal were very interested so most of the leg work is likely done on the Arsenal side for that anyway.

Though Pep did say something about Sterling in his last press conference that was unusual.

Sanchez is a definite upgrade on Sterling and makes City one of the best sides in Europe, easily however.

I don't see a swap happening but Sterling will essentially continue to be a benchwarmer at City and used as an impact sub if Sanchez does come.

Sanchez is a definite upgrade on Sterling and makes City one of the best sides in Europe, easily however.

I don't see a swap happening but Sterling will essentially continue to be a benchwarmer at City and used as an impact sub if Sanchez does come.

With the attacking options available all players are going to ride the bench at some point unless they are a Mendy, Walker, KdB, Ederson, Kompany. I highly doubt Sanchez would take Sterlings place though as Pep looks to want to fill that false-9 role (though I don't know why he doesn't just use David Silva) so more likely to be used in favour of Aguero or Jesus.

This would be a terrible deal for everyone involved

Sterling would stagnate in this Arsenal team, and just pull the same shit he did in the last 6 months at Liverpool.

City would gain a player a very good player, but also lose an extremely talented one in the process - and they could get the same player for free in a year. Its not worth it, even for someone with as much money as City

Nah, it's a good deal for City. Now Sterling to Arsenal, in the other hand..

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Sterling to Arsenal would be an absolutely awful transfer.

For Arsenal, City or Sterling?

City would be upgrading their player and Arsenal would be replacing a wantaway 28 year old with a year left on his contract with a much younger player that's also fairly talented. The only one that it's bad for is Sterling himself, as he would be joining a non CL team on a downward spiral. Even so he would be getting a lot more game time.

For Arsenal, City or Sterling?

City would be upgrading their player and Arsenal would be replacing a wantaway 28 year old with a year left on his contract with a much younger player that's also fairly talented. The only one that it's bad for is Sterling himself, as he would be joining a non CL team on a downward spiral. Even so he would be getting a lot more game time.
Would be terrible for Arsenal and Sterling. He'd never reach his potential just like all the other young players at Arsenal over the years. Wenger can't motivate his players and rarely improves them these days, Sterling should stay well away for the good of his own career.

I guess not much of you have watched much of Sterling because you're all chattin bubbles as he has been excellent for City. Getting rid of an English player who always has positive movement and creates space would be a big negative for City. Especially as he gets a decent amount of goals, penalties, assists and has some of the better build up play.

Cappa

Banned
It doesn't seem like Ox has the defensive nous to play RWB to be honest, but I guess that's in the Arsenal team with a much poorer defence than Chelsea so maybe it could work
Lots of good wing backs with poor defending out there its entirely possible. Two of the best of all time Roberto Carlos and Marcelo their weakest attributes was/is their defending but like you said as long as the rest of the back line is solid and they have a good holding midfield(which in the case of Chelsea both are true) it could work.
I guess not much of you have watched much of Sterling because you're all chattin bubbles as he has been excellent for City. Getting rid of an English player who always has positive movement and creates space would be a big negative for City. Especially as he gets a decent amount of goals, penalties, assists and has some of the better build up play.
Not just talent wise but he's also an English born player which always carries a premium tag. With brexit looming in a few years English players will be even much more of a premium(due to the eventual need for work permits for even EU players)

CrayToes

I guess not much of you have watched much of Sterling because your all chattin bubbles as he has been excellent for City. Getting rid of an English player who always has positive movement and creates space would be a big negative for City. Especially as he gets a decent amount of goals, penalties, assists and has some of the better build up play.
His end product just isn't good enough though and shows no sign of improving. Sanchez would be a huge upgrade.

Markitron

I think he's a great player, and would improve almost any squad in the world, but in a straight swap Sanchez is by far the better player. Sterling's finishing and key passes need a lot of work and they haven't improved since the 2013/14 season. In fact I'd have said they have regressed.

His end product just isn't good enough though and shows no sign of improving. Sanchez would be a huge upgrade.

It has improved, significantly. As has his passing and crossing. He was poor at Everton in front of goal (still scored) but that isn't representative of how he has been playing. But Sanchez isn't going to be a positional swap for Sterling anyway.

I think he's a great player, and would improve almost any squad in the world, but in a straight swap Sanchez is by far the better player. Sterling's finishing and key passes need a lot of work and they haven't improved since the 2013/14 season. In fact I'd have said they have regressed.

How can he regress when he has provided more goals, assists, and key passes each season than when he was at Liverpool. When it was him, Jesus and Sané last year supported by KdB that was by far the best football I have ever seen him play. He got carried by Suarez at Liverpool now he has been carrying Aguero.

azyless

Oh how I would love to see him at Arsenal after all he said about Liverpool.
Raheem "I want to play at the highest level" Sterling, now playing on thursday nights with Arsenal while we're in the Champions' League.

Rumours about Keita Baldé to Monaco being a done deal. Maybe a replacement for Lemar ?

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Sterling is just not good enough for the current City squad as far as I saw him play. I think the swap would make sense for everybody.

TimmmV

Nah, it's a good deal for City. Now Sterling to Arsenal, in the other hand..

Its terrible for City - they'd be losing a dickhead player with a lot of promise, who has only gotten better under Pep

If the rumours are right, and City are offering Sterling + £20m for Sanchez, then City are getting totally bent over a barrel here. Even a straight swap wouldn't be worth it

I hate Sterling because of the way he behaved at Liverpool, but under the right manager he will be world class, he's an extremely talented player who would be wasted at Arsenal

Its a shame to think what Klopp could do with him too, I reckon he would be ace in this Liverpool team

Markitron

Apparently Leicester, West Brom and Palace are fighting it out for Mama Sakho, and Liverpool are confident of getting £30m for him. Unless they are certain of getting VVD, this is madness.

Lovren and Klavan wouldn't even command half of that fee yet their places are secure.

If the rumours are right, and City are offering Sterling + £20m for Sanchez, then City are getting totally bent over a barrel here. Even a straight swap wouldn't be worth it

Can't say I agree with that. Sanchez is clear improvement to their starting 11, Sterling is not. He needs to start delivering on his potential. He is playing with far better players now than he was with Liverpool and IMO he hasn't gotten particularly better than his 13/14 form.

How can he regress when he has provided more goals, assists, and key passes each season than when he was at Liverpool. When it was him, Jesus and Sané last year supported by KdB that was by far the best football I have ever seen him play. He got carried by Suarez at Liverpool now he has been carrying Aguero.

Carried by Suarez? He was fucking awesome from Dec onwards in 13/14. Just because Suarez was world class that year doesn't diminish the achievements of Sterling.

Bersi

Keita balde to monaco fucking sucks for juve and italian football in general,god damnit marotta you penny-pinching fuck,we should have got him earlier in the summer.

TimmmV

Sakho is a CL level player, mental hes being linked only with mid table PL clubs

Such a shame its ended up like this at Liverpool

<3 Mama, will always remember him absolutely taking the piss out of Everton in the 4-0 a couple years ago, was so funny and he knew exactly what he was doing

Markitron

Sakho is a CL level player, mental hes being linked only with mid table PL clubs

<3 Mama, will always remember him absolutely taking the piss out of Everton in the 4-0 a couple years ago, was so funny and he knew exactly what he was doing

If he goes to one of these clubs I pretty certain he will be moving on again to a CL club soon enough.

Carried by Suarez? He was fucking awesome from Dec onwards in 13/14. Just because Suarez was world class that year doesn't diminish the achievements of Sterling.

He was decent but got made to look much better by Suarez. When Suarez left his form significantly dropped and when he came to City it was about the same. I.E carried.

TimmmV

Can't say I agree with that. Sanchez is clear improvement to their starting 11, Sterling is not. He needs to start delivering on his potential. He is playing with far better players now than he was with Liverpool and IMO he hasn't gotten particularly better than his 13/14 form.

Sanchez is a better player right now sure, but a swap would be way too short term by City. They spent the £48m on Sterling in the first place because of the potential he has, not on the performances he was giving in his last season at Liverpool

Suarez is so good he improves anyone he plays with - but yeah thats extremely harsh on Sterling, he was very good on his own merit in Rodgers first 2.5 seasons

He was decent but got made to look much better by Suarez. When Suarez left his form significantly dropped and when he came to City it was about the same. I.E carried.

No, sorry this just isn't true at all.

Sterling was one of the few positive things in the first half season after Suarez - then he had his head turned and just gave up for the 2nd half of the season

Hes a dickhead, but still a very good player. Good enough that I would probably have him back at Liverpool despite all the shit he did. Klopp would get the best out of him for sure

I agree. If I was him I would request that I'm part of the deal for Monaco. A player of his calibre should never lower himself to play for those teams. I would turn them down.

Pretty much this. The minute Suarez left, he became useless.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
In a world where you have Mbappe, Asensio, Kovacic, Jesus, Dembele players like Sterling must reach their potential rather sooner than later. Even in the past the likes of Ronaldo, Messi, C. Ronaldo, Neymar confirmed very early on.

Morata and Lukaku are 24 years old.

It seems to be actually quite a pattern with the English players in general, too many talents not enough confirmations. Maybe they are declared world class way too soon and too often.

sammex

Sakho hasn't played a lot of football recently. I think he's a risk for any top club coming in for him at the moment until he can show that he can stay injury free for a season. Moving to a mid table club for a year where he doesn't have to play twice a week would be best for him right now, then get a big move next summer.

Sterling to Arsenal would be good for the gunners, and he'd play regularly, but then it makes it seem like why did he even bother agitating for that move from Liverpool in the first place when he's back down a level.

No, sorry this just isn't true at all.

Sterling was one of the few positive things in the first half season after Suarez - then he had his head turned and just gave up for the 2nd half of the season

Hes a dickhead, but still a very good player. Good enough that I would probably have him back at Liverpool despite all the shit he did. Klopp would get the best out of him for sure

Liverpool were a solid mid table club without Suarez and Sterling looked better than the rest once Suarez left but how he looked after playing with Suarez wasn't even comparable. Even when Sterling has a bad game his movement is excellent, always has been but it was everything else that dropped.

In a world where you have Mbappe, Asensio, Kovacic, Jesus players like Sterling must reach their potential rather sooner than later. Even in the past the likes of Ronaldo, Messi, C. Ronaldo, Neymar confirmed very early on.

It seems to be actually quite a pattern with the English players in general, too many talents not enough confirmations.

Thats what the bench is for, squad players. But without Sterling City would have probably lost all their games this season.

T-Rex.

Banned
He was fantastic 13/14. In no way was he carried by Suarez, especially when we went on that winning run.

Also, as for the bit in bold:

BvB2GD8.png

The following season after Suarez left, everyone hit a slump not just Sterling. Coutinho just started to look like a future key player and Sterling ended up leaving for City the moment the slump started.

Sterling's head was away from Liverpool from Dec/Jan of that season. Kind of like what is happening with Sanchez, but a world class player like him will still provide the goods.

Best wishes.

CrayToes

Let's not forget Sterling was playing wildly out of position that season, too. I believe he played lone striker majority of the time. He really doesn't look much better now than he did then, he's just obviously playing in a better system with far better players around him. His decision making and finishing are still really poor.

MikeBison

Mama has had a weird career. Captained PSG at like 19 or something. Massively fell out with them. The drugs thing with us, falling out with Klopp etc. Goes to Palace on loan, plays 7 games and wins their player of the year award.

Ps Sterling was one of the few bright sparks in the 2014/15 season after we sold Suarez. Kept up his form enough to have City come in for him and turn his head etc. Wether you want to argue wether he's regressed since going there is another matter. But he had a lot of responsibility after Suarez left and played pretty well for the most part. Still very raw though. Sure he would have stayed if Klopp came in sooner, but I'm pretty ambivalent about it. We ended up with black Suarez Mane.

Let's not forget Sterling was playing wildly out of position that season, too. I believe he played lone striker majority of the time. He really doesn't look much better now than he did then, he's just obviously playing in a better system with far better players around him. His decision making and finishing are still really poor.

I think his decision making has improved but it is obvious that he is playing in a better system, with some amazing players compared to flipping Borini.

Our best 11 that season was the following:

Sterling
Coutinho - Lallana
Moreno - Allen - Henderson - Markovic
Sakho - Skrtel - Can
Mignolet

Sterling was then pushed to Markovic's position at wingback once Sturridge came back. He hardy ever played at his best position throughout that season.

God that season was such a mess.

Doc_Drop

In a world where you have Mbappe, Asensio, Kovacic, Jesus, Dembele players like Sterling must reach their potential rather sooner than later. Even in the past the likes of Ronaldo, Messi, C. Ronaldo, Neymar confirmed very early on.

It seems to be actually quite a pattern with the English players in general, too many talents not enough confirmations. Maybe they are declared world class way too soon and too often.
It's an interesting phenomenon, it could be a combination of over hype and over inflation of ego leading to complacency, a lack of desire to play football in different countries ie building a balanced game, lots of our supposed world class prospects being technically poor but fast and athletic. I also think a number of them have good 1-2 seasons then get 'found out'. Realistically we have produced very few world class players in England. The next two players I'm really intrigued by their development are Kane and Ali

TimmmV

Liverpool were a solid mid table club without Suarez and Sterling looked better than the rest once Suarez left but how he looked after playing with Suarez wasn't even comparable. Even when Sterling has a bad game his movement is excellent, always has been but it was everything else that dropped.

This isn't really fair either - people forget that Liverpool were pushing for a CL place until near the end of that season, then lost to United in a pretty close game and just utterly collapsed, losing 5 of the last 9 games of the season. Liverpool were a borderline CL/EL club that season, not mid table. With a better coach than Rodgers, they might have gotten 4th too

But yeah, if your point is that Sterling got worse without Suarez, so therefore he was carried then I think you're being extremely harsh. Pretty much any player is improved playing next to Suarez, especially so if the player is only 20 years old and playing in their 3rd season in the first team

I agree. If I was him I would request that I'm part of the deal for Monaco. A player of his calibre should never lower himself to play for those teams. I would turn them down.

I'll cry a bit on the inside if he ends up playing at West Brom under Pulis.

What a waste.

I think his decision making has improved but it is obvious that he is playing in a better system, with some amazing players compared to flipping Borini.

Our best 11 that season was the following:

Sterling
Coutinho - Lallana
Moreno - Allen - Henderson - Markovic
Sakho - Skrtel - Can
Mignolet

Sterling was then pushed to Markovic's position at wingback once Sturridge came back. He hardy ever played at his best position throughout that season.

God that season was such a mess.

Yep, Rodgers looked utterly clueless from pretty much the get go.

Took him until christmas to find a decent formation/team, then did well, but the squad mentality was still so fragile that they totally collapsed after losing to United. Their performances at the end of the season were as bad as anything under Hodgson

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom