• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2017/18 |OT| Relegated to Community

Status
Not open for further replies.

T-Rex.

Banned
Where was this talk of a winter break when English teams were consistently getting to finals and semi-finals.

These things are cyclical.
Yup. I mean international breaks are bad enough, cba with two international breaks followed by a winter break.

DBT85

I'm against any kind of break tbh. I keep seeing people talk about how the winter break, or lack thereof, is why PL clubs are doing badly in european competitions but I think that's nonsense. The PL clubs are doing badly cos they're shit compared to the top teams in the other leagues. The absence of a winter break didn't seem to affect any of the top PL clubs from 05-09.

Apart from that whopping 4 year period though when else have pl teams done that well?

The top leagues have a break, except the pl because reasons.

T-Rex.

Banned
Apart from that period though when else have pl teams done that well?

The top leagues have a break, except the pl because reasons.
Have the PL clubs ever been as strong as they were in that period? Liverpool's 08/09 side had Alonso, Mascherano, Gerrard, Torres etc. Your lot had Ronaldo, Tevez, Berbatov, Rooney. Chelsea had Drogba, Lampard, John Terry, Essien. When the PL clubs were strong, they did well. When they weakened significantly they stopped doing well. I honestly don't think it has anything to do with a winter break.

Utd reached 3 semi finals and won the CL between 96-2002, and then from 04 onwards when the quality of the league rose the other PL clubs started doing well and all. Chelsea reached a few semis, Arsenal reached the final in 06, we went to two finals etc. So really it's only in recent years where the English clubs have done badly and I'd argue that has far more to do with the quality of the teams.

In 2013, no Premier League side reached the last eight for the first time since 1996 (back in a time when England were only entitled to one Champions League place compared to four today).

Also a lot of the PL clubs have been getting knocked out of the group stages 2010 onwards, how's the winter break going to help there? :p

Syder

Fenerbahce hold Costa loan talks
Fenerbahce have held talks with Diego Costa's representatives about signing the Chelsea striker on loan.

Costa, 28, remains in Brazil and has refused to return to England.

The Spain international failed to leave the Premier League champions before transfer deadline day in much of Europe, but the Turkish transfer window does not close until Friday.

A source close to the negotiations has said a deal with the Turkish side is unlikely, but talks are ongoing.

Costa has been told by Chelsea manager Antonio Conte to find another club.

He wanted to return to Atletico Madrid in the summer but they were not allowed to sign players because of a transfer embargo. They can do so in January.

The forward has since been left out of Chelsea's Champions League squad.

Sportsmania for the cheap.
MvZXD57.png

sammex

Don't understand why they are touting that the pitch divides, don't see what benefit that serves other than injuring players. Seems pointlessly complicated. Pretty sure we have like 3 stadiums in america and have fully retractable fields.

Right but they're in London, so space = money. You've got enough space to have a spare pitch parked outside your stadia over there. This is being stacked under the stand.

Amazing tech, that demo looks immense. Also looks like they've tested it on their training ground for injuries/playablibilty.

Beefy

Right but they're in London, so space = money. You've got enough space to have a spare pitch parked outside your stadia over there. This is being stacked under the stand.

Amazing tech, that demo looks immense. Also looks like they've tested it on their training ground for injuries/playablibilty.

I think the real problem they will get is the grass at the joins dying.

Andy Kelly LFC editor at the Liverpool Echo did a podcast interview with the Redmen TV today about LFCs transfer window.

Bit of a summary:

Pearce = James Pearce(another LFC editor)

-There is no certainty that the VVD transfer broke down because of the leaks. Southampton were simply tired of Liverpool buying their players.

-Says that Pearce and himself talked to both Klopp and Micahel Edwards.

-Says the word came directly from Klopp not to settle for anything other than number one targets.

-Says that clearly klopp was the one directing everything this summer. Edwards simply did his bidding(negotiations, contracts etc..). Klopp runs the show at LFC.

-Edwards was desperate to get Klopp his targets.

-Barely any mention of "transfer commitees" anymore.

-Klopp happy with Edwards appointment.

-He personally feels Edwards wants to prove himself given his reputation as a computer geek who got lucky and his lack of footalling pedigree/background particularly compared to his peers; other DOFs.

-Personal opinion is that Klopp felt let down by Coutinho. Klopp's attitude in general is 'if you aren't in my gang, you are out!'

-Says the Keita deal took even the journalist by surprise. The club had claimed to have eased off.

-On the £200M transfer warchest opinion piece by Ian Doyle. Defends the journalist saying that it was the rumbling/vibe from the club even though it wasn't a brief per se. From his POV, he estimated the same budget. Says that some expected sales were halted/never materialised(Sturridge).

-Says Lemar bid was definitely Coutinho's replacement as there is an expectation he's gone next summer.

-Confirms James Pearce has a direct line of communication with Tom Werner.

-He was the one who asked Ian Doyle to wrote an OP about the LFC apology in the VVd saga. Club aren't too happy about it being mentioned as one of the most shameful episodes in 125 year history. Proof that they aren't just yes men according to him.

-Confirms the Echo have a "connection" and "access" in relation to LFC.

-No bids for VVD.

- Says VVD clearly said yes to LFC, put in a transfer request, ostracized himslef with his teammates and his club and the club still couldn't push the move through. What's his feeling towards LFC now?

Beefy

VVD did no wrong by his teammates it's why he is back in training now. Only people he went in hard on was the board. He didn't do a Lovren and slag of his team mates.

sammex

I think the real problem they will get is the grass at the joins dying.

They'd have caught this on the training ground prototype if it was a problem. Like one of the main reasons for their new stadium is so they can host an nfl team too and that hinges on this retractable pitch working. Like just saying I doubt they spent 800mill and no one said, hey what about the joins in the pitch? It'd be funny as fuck if they did get these massive dead lines down the pitch.

Edit

Andy Kelly LFC editor at the Liverpool Echo did a podcast interview with the Redmen TV today about LFCs transfer window.

Bit of a summary:

Pearce = James Pearce(another LFC editor)

Hmm, I wonder how much of that is 100% the truth. The Echo and Pearce especially were some of the ones who leaked about VVD wanting to join us which seemed the breaking point - that's when Soton reported us. Are they now trying to wash their hands of it? Also a lot of people don't trust the echo as much nowadays, it's in their interests to big up any access they have.

VVD did no wrong by his teammates it's why he is back in training now. Only people he went in hard on was the board. He didn't do a Lovren and slag of his team mates.

Maybe not directly. But when you do the things VVD and Coutinho did, you kinda indirectly say "yeah I'm better than the rest of you".

Beefy

Maybe not directly. But when you do the things VVD and Coutinho did, you kinda indirectly say "yeah I'm better than the rest of you".

I know Matt Targett, they all knew he wanted to leave months ago and were fine with it. He didn't act a twat to them like Lovren did to get his move. The only people Van Dijk has to make it up to is the board and some fans.

Beefy

They'd have caught this on the training ground prototype if it was a problem. Like one of the main reasons for their new stadium is so they can host an nfl team too and that hinges on this retractable pitch working. Like just saying I doubt they spent 800mill and no one said, hey what about the joins in the pitch? It'd be funny as fuck if they did get these massive dead lines down the pitch.

It would be funny as. The stadium looks crazy though.

DBT85

They've gone to all that effort and expense for how many nfl games?

Have the PL clubs ever been as strong as they were in that period? Liverpool's 08/09 side had Alonso, Mascherano, Gerrard, Torres etc. Your lot had Ronaldo, Tevez, Berbatov, Rooney. Chelsea had Drogba, Lampard, John Terry, Essien. When the PL clubs were strong, they did well. When they weakened significantly they stopped doing well. I honestly don't think it has anything to do with a winter break.

Utd reached 3 semi finals and won the CL between 96-2002, and then from 04 onwards when the quality of the league rose the other PL clubs started doing well and all. Chelsea reached a few semis, Arsenal reached the final in 06, we went to two finals etc. So really it's only in recent years where the English clubs have done badly and I'd argue that has far more to do with the quality of the teams.

Also a lot of the PL clubs have been getting knocked out of the group stages 2010 onwards, how's the winter break going to help there? :p
Not disputing any of that. But the argument against a winter break still seems to boil down to "i don't want it" or "they get paid enough so keep playing".

Those edges of the different sections aren't gonna stay lined up perfectly. Someone is well gonna get a broken ankle on the divisions in the pitch.

I'm worried about this too. Seems unnecessarily complex. But then again I'm no engineer or whatever so.....maybe it works

I hope

Dartastic

Any Gamba Osaka fans here? I'm thinking of traveling from Kyoto to see the game tomorrow, and I'm visiting from the USA. It'd be fun to get some drinks and see the game with a fan.

azyless

Are they really doing all this for one NFL game a year ? Unless the London team thing is actually being considered I don't see the point.

FIFA open disciplinary proceedings regarding Alli sticking his finger up.

For fuck's sake. They're making a big deal, and forcing the media to show these images to all these POOR INNOCENT CHILDREN, about something that would have been forgotten about by now if it was just left alone.

While this comes across as way too fluffy and rehearsed to be true (the little shit is gonna be sulking behind the scenes for a while, isn't he?), Klopp hasn't come across as too concerned about Cout's role, specifically leading up to this Saturday. It's a non-issue as it stands right now, Cout would add to our attack, but he doesn't make it based on the last few games.

Jurgen is so frustrated with constant Phil questions. Journos asking literally the same question straight after each other, specifically about his attitude.

Journalists seems to think Mignolet will play in the League, Karius in the CL. Never understood rotating goalies like this.

Edit: Seems Kompany won't play tomorrow. Good news for us.

Journalists seems to think Mignolet will play in the League, Karius in the CL. Never understood rotating goalies like this.
I doubt klopp will do this though. Seems absurd. Plus I don't think journalists are good people to listen to in terms of predicting tactics. They can say some stupid and infuriating shit at times.

Edit: seems kompany is injured for the city game

He's a seriously cool looking dude but he can be a little too cool on the ball. Just kick it!

It is infuriating at times, but it does look like something he can grow out of. Regardless, I'm not Mignolet's biggest fan, but specifically dividing our cups/PL campaigns with different goalies doesn't sound like something Klopp would be all that interested in, unless there's more going on in the dressing room than we know. We'll definitely see come next week.

MikeBison

I never realised how abysmal City's record against the top 6 has been over the last 2 years.

Specifically Liverpool. We usually beat them handily. Or at least take 4 points a season off them.

Annoyingly Phil is also always great against them. But our attack has been in fine form without him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom