• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FootballGAF 2019/2020 |OT| Does Your Team Got What It Takes To Be Crowned?

Jon Neu

Banned
There is no "national press", there are press in every region and they all attack everyone including themselves relentlessly that is a fact. Catalonia does not listen to any other press other than their own let alone listening to any press from Madrid and guess who is in charge of FC Barcelona and the Catalan press both? yes people from Catalonia, again blaming any other region press is a flimsy excuse for Barcelona.

Yes, there are national press and national TV's.

Antena 3, Telecinco, TVE, Cuatro, La Sexta, etc... They are all national TV and they are all Madrid based and they are all so pro Madrid and so anti Barça is not even funny. TV3 is only catalan based, it doesn't hold the same power as all of those, like not even close.

Not accounting for the huge impact the press and the media has on almost everything (specially politics and football), it's just being obtuse.

Ronaldinho era was the start of Barcelona best years and he elevated the club from being decent to being scary all over Europe. Then the academy generation started to trickle in supported Ronaldinho and then took over completely when he was out. the academy generation was not the work of Laporta and signing Ronaldinho was the luck of Beckham refusal to go to Barcelona and choosing Real Madrid and Barcelona was not close to getting relegated. Again Laporta was a good president who did a great job taking advantage of the situation and keeping Barcelona steady not a genius in my opinion.
Best team to ever play the game? I respect your opinion but many including me disagree of course.

Again, Laporta build the Ronaldinho era and then he build the Pep era, claiming it was luck after seeing how his successors took the best team in Europe and destroyed it, seems like a silly unlogical dismiss of the importance Laporta had.

He took a team that was almost about to descend to the second division and built a super team with Ronaldinho first and later, when the Ronaldinho era vanished and we had to reinvent ourselves again, Laporta built another legendary team. He did it twice, but somehow it was "luck".

And yes, I obviously know a Madrid fan is going to disagree about Barça's Pep being the best team to ever play the game.

Members come and go and old members saw Barcelona in more situations than both of us and yes they could be wrong too and make mistakes but bottom of the line is that Bartomeu is Barcelona president because the club members chose him so blame them for it and for listening to any type of media.

That's what I'm doing, I'm blaming them and I'm blaming the media that created the narrative the members followed. The narrative that ultimately has destroyed the club.

Last edited:

Jon Neu

Banned
Kinda make sense, what happened to Lamasia in the last 5-7 years?
Why did Barca keep selling their youths and spent millions buying overpriced attackers?

Almost like they ignored the 'zidane and pavons' lesson :pie_roffles::pie_roffles:

Because they are incompetent fucks that hate everything that has to do with Cruyff.

They drove Guardiola out, they drove Cruyff out, they tried to ruin Laporta's life and the lives of the previous people in charge with a lawsuit against them literally the very first second they became elected. They wanted a revenge on the Cruyff side of the club, which is by the way the side that brings the best this club has ever had.

And ironically, the one who ended up in prison was Rosell. Karma comes at you fast.

longdi

Banned
And yes, I obviously know a Madrid fan is going to disagree about Barça's Pep being the best team to ever play the game.

Definitely true imo. Pep team can press hard. And when pressed hard, they can tiki taka out effortlessly.

Last night game, and the game with Napoli, it was painful to watch the now Barca team trying to pass their way out. Keeps passing backwards and flat across the backline :messenger_face_screaming:

Jon Neu

Banned
Definitely true imo. Pep team can press hard. And when pressed hard, they can tiki taka out effortlessly.

Last night game, and the game with Napoli, it was painful to watch the now Barca team trying to pass their way out. Keeps passing backwards and flat across the backline :messenger_face_screaming:

That's part of the silly narrative.

Bartomeu and the press kept repeating that we are the best team in the world, that what happened in Roma was an accident, that what happened in Liverpool was just a bad night but in reality we were still the best and we had the best players. That's why Bartomeu has lasted so long, because people were still being fed the notion that we were the best even when the playing and the results showed clearly the contrary.

Now seems that FINALLY, people are waking up to the piece of shit that the team is.

Too late, motherfuckers.

And now, tell me how we are supposed to came out of this? We need almost a brand new team, but Bartomeu has cleaned up the coffers of the club. And with the COVID situation you can't even sell players, so we are still going to be a fucked up disfunctional crap for some years still.

Last edited:

Dark Rider

Yes, there are national press and national TV's.

Antena 3, Telecinco, TVE, Cuatro, La Sexta, etc... They are all national TV and they are all Madrid based and they are all so pro Madrid and so anti Barça is not even funny. TV3 is only catalan based, it doesn't hold the same power as all of those, like not even close.

Not accounting for the huge impact the press and the media has on almost everything (specially politics and football), it's just being obtuse.

There is no official "national press/tv" no matter how you spin it. there is press/tv that is more popular than others but in no way it is official "national media", it is just media that you hate but it is irrelevant because Barcelona members listen only to Catalonia media and no one else so the most powerful media effecting Barcelona is the Catalan media and no other region media which, as I said, pedal lies against everyone else like the rest of the media and so anti Madrid and they are happy with it because guess what? it makes Barcelona members following happy.

Again the media effecting Barcelona is the Catalan media don't pretend that Barcelona members watch or listen to any media but their own.

Again, Laporta build the Ronaldinho era and then he build the Pep era, claiming it was luck after seeing how his successors took the best team in Europe and destroyed it, seems like a silly unlogical dismiss of the importance Laporta had.

He took a team that was almost about to descend to the second division and built a super team with Ronaldinho first and later, when the Ronaldinho era vanished and we had to reinvent ourselves again, Laporta built another legendary team. He did it twice, but somehow it was "luck".

The golden generation that elevated Barcelona was not grown by Laporta no matter how you spin it and he was lucky they graduated on his term no matter how you spin it.
And he was NOT going to buy Ronaldinho if Beckham join Barcelona no matter how you want to spin it and got lucky that Beckham went to Real Madrid triggering him to scramble for plan B and get Ronaldinho.
These are hard cold facts.

Again I said Laporta is a good president because he took the advantage of it all the best way he could but that doesn't make him a genius. It is fine that you consider him a genius just based on steering the ship correctly but that does not mean he had any hand in creating that academy generation or Beckham refusal.

Projecting much? I'm objective to all teams regardless of who I support and don't let any bias cloud my judgement to either inflate or put down any team or club. That generation that pep (pep is a great manager too by the way) had was great for sure and achieved great things but it was not the best ever, and I'm not the only one that think that way by the way many agree with me who support different teams/clubs.

That's what I'm doing, I'm blaming them and I'm blaming the media that created the narrative the members followed. The narrative that ultimately has destroyed the club.

You are creating a conspiracy theory where the Barcelona members listen to media outside of Catalonia and that it is Madrid media that destroyed Barcelona into ruins.
It's all Barcelona doing from the members to the media just to be clear. And you should go vote in next elections instead of blaming Madrid.

Yesterday was one of the greatest days in CL history. Fucking Barcelona LMAO.

I can only imagine how you were feeling by the end of that match :messenger_beaming:

Jon Neu

Banned
There is no official "national press/tv" no matter how you spin it. there is press/tv that is more popular than others but in no way it is official "national media", it is just media that you hate but it is irrelevant because Barcelona members listen only to Catalonia media and no one else so the most powerful media effecting Barcelona is the Catalan media and no other region media which, as I said, pedal lies against everyone else like the rest of the media and so anti Madrid and they are happy with it because guess what? it makes Barcelona members following happy.

Again the media effecting Barcelona is the Catalan media don't pretend that Barcelona members watch or listen to any media but their own.

There is literally an official national TV, it's called TVE, dude. And yes, they are so pro Madrid and Anti Barça, just like the rest of the spanish media.

And again, you underestimate the power of the media. Obviously catalan Barça members listen more to the catalan media, but there are Barça supporters in Spain too, and they don't have the luxury of having TV3, so they are being fed the Madridista propaganda and the anti Barça bias of the spanish press every single day. And the spanish bias does not only affect the Barça members, it affects every statement like referees and other football organizations than later act against Barça all the time.

Thank God with the arrival of internet the spanish media is losing it's power.

The golden generation that elevated Barcelona was not grown by Laporta no matter how you spin it and he was lucky they graduated on his term no matter how you spin it.

Xavi was about to be sold before Laporta entered the presidency. Busquets and Pedro were playing in the third division with no perspectives of coming to the first team until Pep took the club. Keeping all of those La Masia players and believe in them was also the work of Laporta and Guardiola.

Remember, Laporta took a team who almost went to the second division, a team without any identity, a team so depressed it wasn't even funny. And he build a team that won the Champions League. And then that team exploded, and then Laporta and Pep reinvented the team again and made it even much better.

Claiming it was luck just reeks of silly hate. But it's no wonder that Madridistas try to minimize what Laporta and Guardiola did and defend the Nuñez/Rosell/Bartomeu side.

You are creating a conspiracy theory where the Barcelona members listen to media outside of Catalonia and that it is Madrid media that destroyed Barcelona into ruins.
It's all Barcelona doing from the members to the media just to be clear. And you should go vote in next elections instead of blaming Madrid.

I'm a catalan and a Barça fan, I have growed up in Catalonia. I think I know better than you how the social mass of the FC Barcelona has evolved through time. If you want to call it a conspiracy theory simply because you don't want to admitt that Barça has a huge disadvantage against Madrid because the spanish media (and really the entire spanish state) is so biased in favour of Madrid and against Barça, then that is your problem, but those are nothing but facts.

But again, what I said is that it has been the catalan group Godó the ones who have made the internal damage. We were accostumed to the external damage coming from the spanish media, but not to have the enemy inside.

Last edited:

Jon Neu

Banned
City is a team with a lot of limitations. They have such a crappy defense, their fullbacks are really average and they lack scorers.

They need to invest a lot.

Pep overthought this game, just put 3 up front with De Bruyne behind them and let's roll baby. Instead he went wonky and it left him with too many bad players on the line-up at the same time against a team that would play to counter. Absolutely dismal performance by City, maybe they thought yeah man I want no part of Bayern lol.

Jon Neu

Banned
Lyon has a bunch of interesting players; Depay, Aouar, Guimaraes, Cornet, Dembele, Marcelo...

But they should be utterly crushed by Bayern.

A PSG vs Bayern final is shaping up. I would love to see that. I think Neymar and Mbappe are exactly the type of players who would hurt Bayern the most.

Dark Rider

There is literally an official national TV, it's called TVE, dude. And yes, they are so pro Madrid and Anti Barça, just like the rest of the spanish media.

So you make a list of media that you hate and call them "national media" and when called up on it it turn out they are not? colour me surprised.
TVE? for sports? for football? you are telling me people go to TVE for football insights?

And again, you underestimate the power of the media. Obviously catalan Barça members listen more to the catalan media, but there are Barça supporters in Spain too, and they don't have the luxury of having TV3, so they are being fed the Madridista propaganda and the anti Barça bias of the spanish press every single day.

You need to be present physically at FC Barcelona office in Catalonia at least TWICE a year to be able to vote in anything FC Barcelona that's how FC Barcelona membership works and those are the rules, the Barcelona members who can vote in the club affairs live in Catalonia and have access to TV3 and all the other Catalan media. The fans that don't have access to Catalonia media basically can't vote in FC Barcelona affairs because they can't maintain a membership because they can't be physically present at FC Barcelona office in Catalonia.

Also you are assuming any Barcelona fans that don't have access to Catalan media to be idiots listening to anti Barcelona people.
And by the way the internet exist and every Barcelona fan in the globe has access to the Catalan media through their websites.

And the spanish bias does not only affect the Barça members, it affects every statement like referees and other football organizations than later act against Barça all the time.

And you tell me you are not pedaling grand conspiracy theories.

Xavi was about to be sold before Laporta entered the presidency. Busquets and Pedro were playing in the third division with no perspectives of coming to the first team until Pep took the club. Keeping all of those La Masia players and believe in them was also the work of Laporta and Guardiola.

Remember, Laporta took a team who almost went to the second division, a team without any identity, a team so depressed it wasn't even funny. And he build a team that won the Champions League. And then that team exploded, and then Laporta and Pep reinvented the team again and made it even much better.

So basically had players who were just there that he utilized correctly? that is called being a good president or even a great president which I already stated about him but for some reason me not considering him a genius trigger you labeling me as a hater.
By the way no one believe Barcelona was going to be relegated.

Claiming it was luck just reeks of silly hate. But it's no wonder that Madridistas try to minimize what Laporta and Guardiola did and defend the Nuñez/Rosell/Bartomeu side.

Having a golden generation in your academy ready for the picking when your presidency start sure is lucky, not being an idiot to sell them all is the bare minimum to do for any competent president and Laporta was more than competent.
Having your plan A (Beckham) fail and falling back to plan B (Ronaldinho) sure is lucky, after all originally Laporta thought Beckham was better otherwise Ronaldinho would be plan A NOT plan B but having a good plan B sure is a sign of competence though clearly he was not genius enough to see that he should never chase Beckham from the start and that Ronaldinho was the golden goose all along.
You calling me a hater for those two things reeks of idolizing laporta to high heavens and back.

Trying to minimize Barcelona? No, that is just you projecting what you would do.

Defend Nuñez/Rosell/Bartomeu? put money where your mouth is and quote me defending any of them.

I'm a catalan and a Barça fan, I have growed up in Catalonia. I think I know better than you how the social mass of the FC Barcelona has evolved through time.

Me disagreeing with you does not mean I don't know how it is and what goes on, you thinking you know more just because I disagree is wrong.

If you want to call it a conspiracy theory simply because you don't want to admitt that Barça has a huge disadvantage against Madrid because the spanish media (and really the entire spanish state) is so biased in favour of Madrid and against Barça, then that is your problem, but those are nothing but facts.

Grand conspiracies that big and I somehow am in on it and don't want to admit it? really?

But again, what I said is that it has been the catalan group Godó the ones who have made the internal damage. We were accostumed to the external damage coming from the spanish media, but not to have the enemy inside.

Again the voting members that vote in FC Barcelona live in Catalonia and if there is damage it is all on them and the Catalan media they listen to, not those people outside (fans or haters) as you want us to believe.

Fraudiola exposed again :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Welcome to the football thread :messenger_beaming:
who do you support?
pep is a great manager though.

Last edited:

Dark Rider

Aw man, I need to qualify that: 4:1 without own goals which would add a 1:1 for every occurence.

:pie_thinking:
I think Bayern should win for sure although I think Lyon will play out of their mind.

Do you think Lewa will break Cristiano record? currently Lewa have 14 and Cristiano record is 17
So Lewa need 3 more tie it and 4 to break it, he has two matches left to achieve that.

Dark Rider

Karl-Heinz Rummenigge: "I went to the dressing room after the game, expecting to see the boys celebrate a glorious victory. But I found them calm, focused: ready for the next match."

Lyon should really be careful, Bayern can smell how good of an opportunity they have this year and they don't plan on wasting it.

Dark Rider

Madrid close to announcing Reinier loan to Dortmund

Hopefully he can grow there.

notseqi

Do you think Lewa will break Cristiano record? currently Lewa have 14 and Cristiano record is 17
So Lewa need 3 more tie it and 4 to break it, he has two matches left to achieve that.
I don't know, but if somebody was able to do it, it's him. He ripped several teams apart when he had an especially good day.
I say that he will do it.

Questo link con la 'news'? Non mi interessa cosa Rummenigge ha detto, cé solo PR. Penso che hanno riso sulla cosa di Alaba e bevuto un po.

Dark Rider

I don't know, but if somebody was able to do it, it's him. He ripped several teams apart when he had an especially good day.
I say that he will do it.

Questo link con la 'news'? Non mi interessa cosa Rummenigge ha detto, cé solo PR. Penso che hanno riso sulla cosa di Alaba e bevuto un po.

He has a good chance of doing it especially in the final if it's against PSG :pie_thinking:

And yes it is PR but I think it is not far from the truth, they will tell Alaba to do it on the other side of the pitch though.

No way Klopp only wins one with this group, it won't be a tie for long :messenger_beermugs:

How long you thing the current group of players will last at this level before you need to rebuild?

Dark Rider

"Different year, same stuff." Kevin de Bruyne is left to lament another disappointing exit from the Champions League for Manchester City

This could lead to one of two things, either do better next season or start thinking to leave to another club.

be sad now but then do the same next year

How long you thing the current group of players will last at this level before you need to rebuild?

Firmino, Mane and Salah are all 28 so they should have a few years before they decline. VVD and Alisson are about that age, Robbo and Fabinho are in their mid 20's. The midfield is a bit iffier, but it's doable. The current team should last until Klopp's contract is through, which gives us a nice window.

alstrike

And again, you underestimate the power of the media. Obviously catalan Barça members listen more to the catalan media, but there are Barça supporters in Spain too, and they don't have the luxury of having TV3, so they are being fed the Madridista propaganda and the anti Barça bias of the spanish press every single day. And the spanish bias does not only affect the Barça members, it affects every statement like referees and other football organizations than later act against Barça all the time.

I'm a catalan and a Barça fan, I have growed up in Catalonia. I think I know better than you how the social mass of the FC Barcelona has evolved through time. If you want to call it a conspiracy theory simply because you don't want to admitt that Barça has a huge disadvantage against Madrid because the spanish media (and really the entire spanish state) is so biased in favour of Madrid and against Barça, then that is your problem, but those are nothing but facts.

As a spaniard I can clearly state you know fuck all about football and TV/Press in Spain. But being a culé I can't blame you, you're so deluded you think the whole country is out to get you.

It was a great idea to mortgage the club by paying Messi 50m € net per year which works out at 100m € with taxes, not to mention the fess of 120 for Dembelé, 140+ for Coutinho or 100+ for Griezmann. Now look where that has taken you, just a barren wasteland with no money and no fucking hope.

Yesterday was a great day in football (and I fucking hate Bayern) but today was the icing on the cake.

Last edited:

Dark Rider

Firmino, Mane and Salah are all 28 so they should have a few years before they decline. VVD and Alisson are about that age, Robbo and Fabinho are in their mid 20's. The midfield is a bit iffier, but it's doable. The current team should last until Klopp's contract is through, which gives us a nice window.

Most other big clubs are already in a rebuild phase at the moment that for sure will last some years so maybe but Bayern is there to stop you though. :messenger_beaming:

alstrike alstrike Welcome to the Football thread :messenger_beaming:
Who do you support? :pie_thinking:

Most other big clubs are already in a rebuild phase at the moment that for sure will last some years so maybe but Bayern is there to stop you though. :messenger_beaming:

Klopp has a nice history of stopping Bayern. The only way to stop a german attack is to a have a german running your squad. Book this in case PSG and Bayern make it to the Final and PSG somehow wins it.

alstrike

alstrike alstrike Welcome to the Football thread :messenger_beaming:
Who do you support? :pie_thinking:

Thanks man, I'm a Real Madrid fan since I was a kid (my Godfather was member nº 300 something). On top of that and this might sound odd but one of the things that helped me learn English was the Liverpool Official Magazine back in the early 90's so obviously I'm a massive LFC supporter as well (my high school folder was covered with Fowler, Barnes and the like :messenger_sunglasses:).

And yes, the 2018 UCL final was kinda happy/heartbreaking for me.

Dark Rider

Thanks man, I'm a Real Madrid fan since I was a kid (my Godfather was member nº 300 something).

Nice.jpg
one more for our club :messenger_beaming:

On top of that and this might sound odd but one of the things that helped me learn English was the Liverpool Official Magazine back in the early 90's so obviously I'm a massive LFC supporter as well (my high school folder was covered with Fowler, Barnes and the like :messenger_sunglasses:).

And yes, the 2018 UCL final was kinda happy/heartbreaking for me.

So you are telling me deep down you did not have a favorite or one you wanted to win it more? :pie_thinking:

alstrike

Nice.jpg
one more for our club :messenger_beaming:

So you are telling me deep down you did not have a favorite or one you wanted to win it more? :pie_thinking:

Well I had seen Real Madrid win the UCL in:

And Liverpool only in 2005 and almost in 2007 but Jamie Carragher was too old for us to have a chance (damn you Pippo...)

So I kinda wanted Liverpool to win it more than Real Madrid because I absolutely adore Jürgen Klopp and they deserved it way more than Real did (they got really lucky against Juve in the semis). Then Karius and Bale happened so... :messenger_tears_of_joy:

It's a curious case of "who do you love more: mom or dad?" if I'm completely honest.

Dark Rider

Well I had seen Real Madrid win the UCL in:

And Liverpool only in 2005 and almost in 2007 but Jamie Carragher was too old for us to have a chance (damn you Pippo...)

So I kinda wanted Liverpool to win it more than Real Madrid because I absolutely adore Jürgen Klopp and they deserved it way more than Real did (they got really lucky against Juve in the semis). Then Karius and Bale happened so... :messenger_tears_of_joy:

It's a curious case of "who do you love more: mom or dad?" if I'm completely honest.

It is treason then :messenger_pouting:

I'm just joking, you are free to support whoever you want.

Dark Rider

Not at all. Why would that be the case?

Because that is the only extensive experience he had stopping German attacks and Beyern, while most think of his time there as a success (including me) it was a success in terms of elevating Dortmund to a competitive level and being able to beat big teams but objectively he did not manage to stop the Bayern (and by extension their German attack). So you basically were saying its all on Dortmund holding him back :pie_thinking:

Because that is the only extensive experience he had stopping German attacks and Beyern, while most think of his time there as a success (including me) it was a success in terms of elevating Dortmund to a competitive level and being able to beat big teams but objectively he did not manage to stop the Bayern (and by extension their German attack). So you basically were saying its all on Dortmund holding him back :pie_thinking:

Actually now I feel bad for not imbuing that comment with a subtle hidden meaning like that lol but that's not what I meant at all. His work with Dortmund was brilliant and that's still a very competitive squad to this day despite the massive money gap between them and Bayern. I think Klopp did better with Liverpool because he had a more robust financial backing, but what he did with Dortmund is also the stuff of legends.

Top Bottom