• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

For Honor PC performance thread

Durante

But are we factoring in overclocking? Can an oc'd 3770k can still bottleneck a 1070?
Sure it can, almost any game really -- just run it at 1280x720.

What I'm trying to say is that bottlenecks are highly game-specific and situational, and almost everything can bottleneck almost everything else if you try hard enough.

Well, playing in 4k with everything at highest no Supersampling gets me sub 30fps (4790k@4.2ghz, 1080GTX, 16GB 2133hnz RAM, SSD).
I usually play at 50fps where possible (long story) and most maps are fine if I turn pixel rendering down to 70-80. However on the couple of maps with rain, lots of AI and smoke/trees etc I need to go to 50-55 pixel rendering.
That said it looks pretty good and only one crash when changing resolution. No judder or stutter at all (for once).

dr_rus

But are we factoring in overclocking? Can an oc'd 3770k can still bottleneck a 1070?

Sure. I've had 3820 till last June and I've seen almost universal - albeit not huge - gains from upgrading to 6850K in 1080p on my old 980Ti which is pretty close to what you have with 3770 and 1070.

As Durante said, CPU bottleneck is something which is completely settings/game dependent. Some games are bottlenecked even by something like 6950K (arguably more games are bottlenecked by it than 7700K because of its lower frequency) - it depends on what games you play and what settings you use. With DSR 4x or SGSSAA 8x you can still be bottlenecked by GPU even in pretty old titles.

Well, playing in 4k with everything at highest no Supersampling gets me sub 30fps (4790k@4.2ghz, 1080GTX, 16GB 2133hnz RAM, SSD).
I usually play at 50fps where possible (long story) and most maps are fine if I turn pixel rendering down to 70-80. However on the couple of maps with rain, lots of AI and smoke/trees etc I need to go to 50-55 pixel rendering.
That said it looks pretty good and only one crash when changing resolution. No judder or stutter at all (for once).
Actually, scratch that I had Supersampling on by mistake. I can get 50fps@4K on most maps or very close to it but the Story mission (attacking Japanese beach for example) brings it down to -40fps.
The only graphic glitch I've seen it the water reflecting a weird blue light on some maps. Apart from that it's solid.

Flandy

Gtx 1080 sli
i7-4790k 4.00ghz
16gb ram

4K native

Friend can't seem to do 60fps with SLI which is odd considering a single 1080 does 45ish. Turning off TAA still causes it to drop below 60 and drops to 40s with it on.

Is this normal or is something up with the setup?

dr_rus

For Honor PC performance Review

16100248279l.jpg

I swear driver v-sync has less lag than the game's own.

Also, for some reason using RTSS fps lock in conjunction with driver adaptive v-sync causes stuttering for me. Needs turning off.

The watery forest map + dynamic reflections is a real big hit to the framerate also.

Game runs beautifully on my 980Ti, never, ever drops below 60fps maxed out at 1080p. I experimented with supersampling and render scaling. SS on and 30% scaling gave very good IQ. Would I be correct in saying it's actually rendering at around 1200p, 'checkerboarding' up to 2160p and then downsampling to 1080p?

Unless the beta performance was worse than the final game, I don't know how you're getting a solid 60FPS at those settings. I have a 980ti and 6700k and I had to drop down to high for most stuff at 1080p and I still had drops.

AEdouard

FX6300+RX470, stable 60fps at highest settings, but it makes the card go 66c, which I do not like, so I put it down to lows, where the card never goes above 62c.

Benchmark says 90-100 average on high settings, 140+ on low settings, if I remember properly. It is surprisingly okay for something that starts with an NVIDIA splash :p

What? 66 degrees c is still pretty low and more than fine.

WarpathDC

Getting 33-40 fps on 4k/Insane Settings
Getting a very solid 60fps on 1440p/Insane Settings (higher but capped it for smoothness to match my refresh rate).

Outside of the Division, I find that most Ubisoft games on PC have excellent SLI support and are well optimized.

Rig: i5 3570k OC'ed @4.2
EVGA GTX 970 SSC ACX 2.0 Two way SLI
16gb Ram

Lord Phol

Game runs great on my PC FPS-wise, get 80-100 FPS most of the time with everything on extreme.

i5 3570 @ 3,4 GhZ
GTX 980 Ti
16 GB RAM
Standard HDD

My main problem is that after playing for awhile I get this annoying stutter, and it gets worse the more I play. If I restart the game it resets and everything is fine again for awhile, then the stuttering slowly starts coming back.

Skyzard

Banned
^ steam in-game browser works for me. Maybe add it via non-steam game shortcut if you have a uPlay copy.

Any reason to continue holding off the new nvidia drivers?

I don't have an issue with the game on my 980ti, runs great at 1440p extreme settings (about 90fps), but you know, I like to keep it up-to-date...

Is everyone avoiding them?

Unless the beta performance was worse than the final game, I don't know how you're getting a solid 60FPS at those settings. I have a 980ti and 6700k and I had to drop down to high for most stuff at 1080p and I still had drops.
At 1080p with 30% Render Scaling, SS AA on and everything maxed the benchmark never dips below 60fps. The only time I've seen it dip is on the forest level with bots fighting in the water. The benchmark can be erratic. If you reset your settings, re-do them and run it again, it might shoot up.

They're somewhat lower, but I wouldn't read into it as the launch build doesn't have a benchmark tool and the author chose an area that is more demanding than others.
It 100% absolutely does have a benchmark tool. If it's not showing for you then that's a bug. I'll post a pic when I get home.

Arulan

I swear driver v-sync has less lag than the game's own.

Also, for some reason using RTSS fps lock in conjunction with driver adaptive v-sync causes stuttering for me. Needs turning off.

The watery forest map + dynamic reflections is a real big hit to the framerate also.

Nvidia's driver Vsync is generally always preferable (I can't comment on AMD).

Why use adaptive?

Mechazawa

1440p
GTX 980
i7 4790k
20GB RAM
Win10

At max settings(sans supersampling) game runs at roughly 50-60ish which is great, but lurches down to 40ish when it rains.

Busting down Shadows to "High" and nixxing Dynamic Reflections pushes the rainy areas back up over 60fps. In non-rainey weather, it's roughly 70fps-ish.

Ubisoft sure makes some good ass running non-open world games.

dr_rus

Is there a way to display FPS count in For Honor ?

Fraps & MSI/RTSS aren't working :/

The game is using EAC again like WD2, is it? If yes then you have to use the version of RTSS which is whitelisted by them - AFAIK 6.5.0 is but latest 6.6.0 may yet not be.

Any reason to continue holding off the new nvidia drivers?

I don't have an issue with the game on my 980ti, runs great at 1440p extreme settings (about 90fps), but you know, I like to keep it up-to-date...

Is everyone avoiding them?

No reason to holding off anything, the latest hotfix fixed the only widespread issue which R378 introduced for 980Ti owners.

I remember playing the closed beta and this game ran at max settings at 1080 with a pretty much locked 60fps on my rig.

i5 6600k, 970 and 16GB DDR4 at 2400Mhz. This is not the case anymore?

I just fiddled around with the settings and the integrated benchmark, a few observations:

Dynamic reflections have by far the biggest impact on performance, after resolution obviously. Turning it off improved the framerate by ~33% without a visual difference.

MHBAO seems to darken less than HBAO+ while delivering basically the same performance. Even turning off AO completely brings in less than 10%, so leave that on if possible.

Super Sampling ramps up the resolution to 5k when using a 1440p display. Great thing here: when you change the render scaling you can see on the right side exactly which resolution the game will render internally. Every game needs this!

All the other settings have such a minor impact on performance it's not even worth mentioning.

Keep in mind, all of this is only an observation usingthe benchmark scene, so in game things might be different.

Tested on i7-3770 4.1 GHz, 16Gig Ram, GTX 1070.

Dynamic reflections have by far the biggest impact on performance, after resolution obviously. Turning it off improved the framerate by ~33% without a visual difference.
It makes a big difference to the water, like the shallow pools you fight in on the forest level. Maybe not worth it though.

It's a nitpick; but I kinda wish there was an option for even higher resolution textures. Some things, large rocks and the female wardens hair for instance, can look a bit rough up close. And when the rest of the game looks quite stunning, it sticks out.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
It's a nitpick; but I kinda wish there was an option for even higher resolution textures. Some things, large rocks and the female wardens hair for instance, can look a bit rough up close. And when the rest of the game looks quite stunning, it sticks out.

I'd say there's a good chance of a high-res texture pack in the near future as Watch Dogs 2, Far Cry Primal and Rainbow Six: Siege all have one.

I'd say there's a good chance of a high-res texture pack in the near future as Watch Dogs 2, Far Cry Primal and Rainbow Six: Siege all have one.

That'd be cool. Concidering how well they've targeted 2GB VRAM, a texture pack could aim for 4GB cards.

But I guess if there's one part of the graphical makeup that could do with some improvement, it's the fire effects. And that could get intensive.

atr0cious

Quick question about steam. Did the game still direct you to uplay? There was some kind of rumor or something going on during the beta where people were saying they were going straight through steam.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Do you not have the option here?
Wzucer1.jpg

Nope. Maybe something went awry and I was given an old build. I've encountered that once before with The Witcher 2 and didn't realise it until I reached Flotsam and began wondering why I couldn't find the Troll Trouble side-quest that was added with v1.2.

Lord Phol

Updated to the latest hotfixed nvidia drivers. No changes, still have the stuttering that slowly builds up over time. MSI Afterburner reports that the windows page file gets pretty big after a while, I wonder if that's the problem.

Lime

Anyone know of a way to disable the Chromatic Abberation? Maybe a Reshade config that tones it down?

Top Bottom