• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

For how long do you game in one sitting?

As many things are happening in life I usually am playing bit by bit that sums it to an enough time that could be categorized as enjoying games.
So how about your iconic experiences considering playing video games in one sitting or just the way you spend time playing?

DonJorginho

Banned
When i was working a 9-5 job it was an hour or two in the weekdays, a 3-4 hour session on a Friday and then similar numbers during the weekends.

Now I work from home doing music production I have a lot more free time outside of weeks I'm travelling or grinding out contract work, can range from 2-6 hours, certain days i can go nuts, like yesterday finishing TOTK finally i did like a 7/8 hour session with little breaks in-between to walk the dog and clean up/get drinks.

Worth mentioning I'm still 21 so have a lot more free time than a lot of people on here anyway, I'm sure as i get older those hours will wittle down and the amount of all nighters will be heavily reduced lmao.

Also put a lot of time into my film studying, playing football/generally seeing friends, music making/listening, both contract work and my own original stuff so it does vary, some weeks i won't touch my consoles, other weeks I'm on it all week.

Last edited:

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
When I was a kid, teenager and in my 20's...anywhere from 1-hour -- 3-hours tops in one sitting. Nowadays, I play no more than 30-40 minutes in one sitting. Someone was triggered last time I said this so I'll elaborate. I work 10.5-hours a day, I have a family and that 30-40 minutes is the time I have to play. I could spend more time gaming but it'd take time away from family. The point is, I'm still enjoying that short time and could take a quick one-off game, then make it feel stretched.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
When I game it’s for either 30 min, 1 hour or 1 hour and a half why? Netflix, YouTube, tuning into a baseball game etc. Sony, Microsoft made consoles with TV, top apps etc. that are capable of doing more than gaming.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Well, I'm about to turn 49, so my lower back, neck, wrists, and hands wear out WAY faster than they used to. Having said that, I'm still able to crank out an entire day of gaming when I have nothing else going on. Last Saturday, I played BG3 from when I woke up (around 10am) to well into the night. Of course, I took breaks for eating, a few household chores, etc, but still it was some solid-ass gaming. I paid for it with aches and pains, but I'm an old, decrepit man now.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
0-2 hours on weekday nights. Weekends I can get up and play a fair bit in the morning, and afternoon. 4-6 hours if I want Sat and Sun. Sometimes I don't though.

The trick is I rarely watch stuff. Maybe an hour or less a day of TV.

Usually 45 mins to an hour -- sometimes more if the game is really good, which seems to be rare these days.

The day TotK came out I took off work and my wife took the kids out of the house, knocked out like a 3.5 hour session in the morning like the good ol' days. Doesn't happen often though.

Kupfer

Thanks to the Steam Deck I can play much more often shorter sessions that feel worthwhile.
Sometimes I just play for half an hour and then put it away. I wouldn't fire up the computer for that, and stationing myself in front of the Playstation 5 for such a short time doesn't seem worth it to me either.
But there are days I can play like 2h or 3h straight.
Actually I'm only limited by the time, around 21:00/22:00 I often get too tired, even on weekends.

and the amount of all nighters will be heavily reduced lmao.
people release GIF

all nighters, long time no see ... enjoy while you can !

Last edited:

Aenima

In one siting, 1h to 6h. Depends on my mood and how much the game pulled me in. Reason i like long games, otherwise i finish short games in like 2 days.

Sethbacca

Lately I don't have the attention span for much more than a half dozen games of Rocket League. I used to be able to waste entire days.

bbeach123

When we talk about maximum( that I can bearable) , 10 hours~ with total warhammer , anno , civilization ,x4 foundation .
5 hours if its a RPG/action RPG like GOW / witcher 3/fallout 4 /skyrim /diablo.
2 hours if its a 3rd person sony game like LOU, uncharted
1 hours if its a FPS (not rpg ) .

obviously not happening everyday .

Last edited:
For most gaming sessions these days, only about 1 - 1.5 hours before I get the urge to get up and do something else. Back in my high school and college years, I could easily do 2 - 3 hours and still feel the itch for more. I think part of the reason is because I used to play competitive Halo, Gears of War, and other multiplayer games which made the time go by pretty fast whereas nowadays 90% of my gaming time is spent on single-player games where I like to take my time and process every bit of lore available, which makes me want to stop and process what I've read and learned.

The last game that got me hooked for hours on end was a Magic The Gathering game on Xbox One which I would pump 3-4 hours into most nights. That was around 2015-17.

Last edited:

Fbh

1-2 hours most days.
Even on weekends when I have more free time I usually get the urge to do something else after 2 hours.

There's some rare exceptions like Elden Ring, The Witcher 3 or Hollow Knight when I really get into a game and then I can go for 4-5 hours on the weekends.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
About 1-2 hours. Longer if you include falling asleep. Last night I woke up to delay of game flag in Madden. It must have happened a few times because I was on 1st and 45 on my own 1 yard line.

Usually I maybe hit an hour, could be two if it’s really good/new game.

BG3 was taking me all the way back to high school days doing a co-op campaign for like six hours uninterrupted. Sore ass from gaming hasn’t been a thing in adulthood until recently.

TexMex

Depends, if it’s less than an hour I just won’t play. Unless it’s a multiplayer game where I’m just trying to sneak in a round or two (Warcraft 3), I’ll normally just wait til I’m free. Playing a game for 20 minutes seems like a waste of time to me, can’t imagine that being satisfying at all.

M
Usually 45 mins to an hour -- sometimes more if the game is really good, which seems to be rare these days.

The day TotK came out I took off work and my wife took the kids out of the house, knocked out like a 3.5 hour session in the morning like the good ol' days. Doesn't happen often though.
My wife has agreed to take the kid out of the house on Saturday morning so I can play AC6. Gamer dads unite.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Usually 30 mins to an hour. Sometimes, maybe once or twice a month, as long as 3 hours.

TotK has been a bit of an outlier, I feel like a kid again, able to do 5 hour sessions.

Usually like 2 hours late at night, assuming I don’t fall asleep playing. On weekends if I have nothing going on and the game is really good, I can go for like 4 hours straight and feel like a kid again.

whenever my wife's boyfriend tells me to stop. out here in Cali we have an energy crisis so it's respectful to stop when told. even though i pay the bills.

Top Bottom