• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

For those of you who swore to not buy an XBONE after their E3 2013 reveal.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

ta155

Once I've checked off the last few games in my PS3 backlog I'll be ready to jump in and pop it right next to my PS4. Really want to play Horizon 2, Sunset Overdrive, Ori, Gears, Halo 5 and Tomb Raider.... only thing on my PS4 wishlist for 2015 is Star Wars!

pastrami

I think if this had all been revealed at launch, I would own an XBox One right now. Particularly backwards compatibility, no kinect (what a horrible bet by Microsoft), and XBox Live GWG.

But as it stands, I'm more than happy with my PS4. So while the XBox One does interest me, I would bet on me personally never owning one.

EDIT: Let me add that I never swore off the XBox One, that seems so silly. I just thought the PS4 was a better value at launch.

Jonnax

They wasted my time and talked a lot of bollocks that I didn't care and at times was offended by. (TV TV Sports Sports) (multimillion sports partnership) And in fact crap like Indie Parity Clauses still exists.

I also think Metro is a terrible style. Recently had to use a Windows Phone and it was just poorly designed unintuitive ugliness.

Also the whole PS4 having a lot of the same games but with 50% more powerful reduces its utility to exclusives. And with the amount of great games that I can play on consoles I own the money would be better spent buying games rather than buying another box.

KaoteK

No, still not tempted. There just aren't any exclusives that I'm that interested in, in the way Bloodborne was the catalyst for buying a PS4.

Hmm thinking back I think I always conceded there was a good chance I would eventually get one [after the initial policy changes right after 2013 E3] but I believe I was always waiting for Halo 5.

Ironically I'm no longer overly excited about Halo 5 as it was always a game my brother and I played through together on a couch and that's not really a thing now but I am now strongly interested in getting an XB1 due to backwards compatibility. I'll have to wait and see what it's like during the official rollout in the fall but I'm excited

UberTag

Still in no hurry to pick one up but I'm at least open-minded to the idea now. I've loved what little I've played of Forza Horizon 2 but it's just too little for me to get especially excited about seeing how I've already got a PS4 and Wii U and barely have enough time for those.

That said, Microsoft's big push in the PC space has me leaning towards investing in a gaming PC instead.

DeviantBoi

Nope.

I'd still like a Wii U, even though it's not doing the same numbers as PS4/XBone.

If it were only cheaper ($150), I'd pick one up.

Tagyhag

Yes, I'm only going one console this gen and I'm sticking to that.

If the Master Chief Collection couldn't sway me over, nothing could.

I'm glad they're trying really hard to make up for lost ground though, good for consumers.

Razzorn34

Zero interest. Especially since Microsoft is releasing the only game I really cared about on there to PC. Killer Instinct. There is nothing else exclusive I couldn't live without.

Honestly, I probably would have had one a long time ago if it wasn't for the fact that I'd have to pay for another paid game network(XBLive). I have reservations about paying for two of those damn things. So, I chose.

Rymuth

Owning a PS4 and PC I have no interest. I'm not into Halo, Gears, etc. Everything else is on the PC pretty much.
This mirrors my opinion, also, with one slight exception. I used to have an interest in Halo (as a a campaign player) but seeing what 343 did with 4 and what their philosophy is towards the world of Halo, I no longer care.

It's really bizarre how little the Xbone has to offer me this gen.

Personally I made a decision not to get one a few years back, but not so much because of the E3 reveal. Moreso that I'm finding myself more drawn to Playstation IPs, and I'm not at a point nowadays where I feel like I HAVE to own every consoles just to have access to all exclusives. As is, I'm having a hard time finding time to play ps3,360, wii/wii U, Vita,3ds and let's not even start on my retro consoles.

I must admit though, that MS is tempting me to sell off my 360 but what has made me hold off, strangly enough, is that the 360 is my only way to play OG xbox games and I'm a little iffy on the OG xbox's reliability at this point( especially with the timebomb capacitor and failing drives/HDDs). Otherwise, BC with a few select titles of importance to me( Read Dead Redemption, Gears 2 and 3) and a finally working Halo MCC are enough to make me give up my precious Gears of War edition 360.

Ramma2

The amount of time I have to spend playing games these days makes me a 1 console man. Initially I was a 100% lock moving from the 360 to the Xbox One but made the switch to PS4 after that E3.

Simply no need or time to own both at this point.

klee123

Pretty much still firmly in the "never buying it" camp.

Only game which remotely interests me is Scalebound, but it's not enough for me to buy another console for.

Not going to make the same mistake as last gen when I bought a Wii and a 360 for a few games and barely used them.

The only way I'd even consider forking out money for MS's first party stuff is if they port them to PC, but knowing their stance (and understandably so) on PC ports, I doubt I'll be playing them anytime soon.

shabann

Neo Member
Well, Microsoft isn't selling Xbox One here in Croatia so...

They aren't interested in small EU markets, why should I care about their console?

Duxxy3

I eventually picked one up after all of the back peddling, but traded it because some small things were driving me nuts (bumpers, loose analogs, poor party support, overall OS awkwardness).

I think the thing that always gets me with the xbox one is that it feels like a big step BACK from the 360. It's larger than my 360 s. The controller is a downgrade. The OS and user experience is much much worse. You can tell that the people that created the 360 were no longer around to create the xbox one.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
I absolutely refused to buy one.

Right now, I have an Amazon tab open with XB1, Halo, and Sunset OD in the basket.

Never played Halo and Sunset OD looks fun. Probably would pick up Halo 5 if I enjoy the games, willing to try Forza 6 as well, and I know Tomb Raider is timed but hey I'd not need to wait for it to come to PS4.

just not sure if I should buy it now or wait until the slim model comes out with more exclusive games and just buy a second hand 360 now to play Halo games.

Zalman

For me, it's all about the games. I own a Wii U and I just bought a PS4. There's very little on the Xbox One that interests me that I can't get anywhere else. The main thing that has my attention is Rare Replay, which is a bunch of ports of games I've already played.

Phil has really turned things around and seems to care more about exclusives than any previous head of Xbox, so that's a good sign. However, there still isn't enough for me to purchase one. That might change in a couple of years though.

They convinced me last holiday to pick one up. The back peddling and aggressive pricing won me over. But as a third console along with my PC, I started to get buyer's remorse. I played through SSO, enjoyed it a lot, and was very excited about MCC until that turned out to be a big flop... It then collected dust until February, at which point I found a deal where I could basically get back what I payed for it.

The reality was, third party console multiplats were going to be played on my PS4 due to the generally better performance, and a fair number of Xbox exclusives ended up finding their way to my PC, which generally I'd always choose. That left me with precious little reason to turn on my Xbox. I admit, I'll be curious to play Halo 5 when it comes out, but other than that, I'm feeling pretty good about not needing every console this gen. Maybe that will change, but it has nothing at all to do with their initial announcement at this point.

DrArchon

Microsoft has actively REMOVED interest from me by planning to port Killer Instinct to PC. All they have now is Scalebound and I've sworn to never buy a console for just one game.

They don't really have much else that I care about. I'm not a fan of the new direction that Halo is going in and I was never a big fan of Fable, Gears, or Forza.

cyress8

Banned
Microsoft have done wonders to improve the image for the xbone. I would pick it up in a heartbeat for the Rare collection. However, thats all they have that caught my attention and not enough to put down cash. PS4 is in a better position with Uncharted 4 and Horizon. Both have not really brought anything extremely compelling that would cause be to run and buy one. Even on sale.

krainert

Neo Member
Originally I had high hopes for the controller, which made me consider it. I then got an XBONE controller for my PC, and as I gradually realized how low the build quality was, I slowly lost interest. Inversely, feeling the PS4 controller in my hands has convinced me to choose that one, if I ever want to get a console.
EDIT: ...other than my Wii U :)

Atolm

No interest at the current price. Maybe for 199 or less. The console is already missing a fair amount of games (and it will get worse) and exclusives don't make up for that.

People will turn this into a clusterfuck of a thread but for me personally, there still isn't enough out (at the moment) that changes any position I've had on the state of the whole thing.

They are certainly expanding their library into new genres which is great but the reliance of the same franchises over and over and over again is why I fatigued with it in the past. And until I see a real change it's not likely I'm going to jump in. Plus, Canadian prices are killing my need for any new games anyways so that's another giant barrier.

Phil is doing some good things and it's good to see he has some actions to match his words.

I respect your position and lack of desire to get one but cant help but think your stance on their big franchises is outdated.. Like any big company, they have their big games and they make more of them, its the same with any publisher.

Microsoft have 8 games announced so far for next year only two of which are in those franchises (and one is an RTS spin-off), they've also said there is more to come, admittedly that will 99% certain include Forza Horizon 3 but still.

This year they have those games, theres no doubt but they have/had also had plenty of other stuff not in those franchises. Gears/Fable yet to launch, Halo has had 1 game which was a remaster (about to get a second, third next year), Forza you got 3 of.

If you own a capable PC, perhaps that is a factor so fair enough but theres much more to their Xbox One line-up than Gears, Fable, Forza and Halo

Velkyn

I was in this camp after E3 2013, and the whole TV TV TV thing. A couple of weeks ago, I finally caved and bought an xbone. Backwards compat and the exclusives lineup are probably what changed my mind. I still love my PS4 to bits, but this gen even more so than last, it really pays to own a Sony and MS console. WiiU too if Nintendo IP is your thing.

Harmen

No, not going to buy one probably. However, I do think MS does a very good job of making the One a healthy and great competitor for the PS4. Future of this gen looks bright.

They failed when it mattered most.
Once the PS4 gained momentum, there was no coming back.

I have no interest in owning two consoles, many people don't. Don't have the time to play what each console has to offer and PS4 has games that align perfectly with my interests.

Soiks

I'm still not interested in purchasing one, but that was the case prior to the E3 reveal. I got series fatigue with the likes of Gears and Halo and don't feel there's enough in terms of other titles in MS's stable that appeals to me.

E92 M3

I bought a bone for Titanfall, and it's my favorite console right now. Barely play the PS4.

(Day 1 purchase)

jem0208

You can still be disinterested in the console, and that's fine. But holding a grudge for stuff that isn't around anymore is silly.
More accurately stuff that never existed. It took them about a week maybe to 180? That was months before the console released.

Those who are still refusing to buy it because of the initial online stuff are just being silly.

Ullus

Bought one this spring, all I really use it for is some Forza Horizon 2 every now and then, everything else on PC. Can't say I regret buying it either.

Troy

Banned
Never had any interest in the Xbox One. Still don't. I only bought a PS4. And honestly I'm losing interest in that. I'm thinking about ditching it and just going all PC.

Trey

I like that they scrapped their vision. Even as a huge Halo fan, I was seriously doubtful I would ever buy that console. But as it turns out, over the last two years I've realized I don't game nearly as often as I used to. So even with not having a particular issue with the Xbox One, it's looking like I'm gonna miss out on Halo 5's launch anyway.

Microsoft as a whole, however, is doing some things I like. Their recent push to put some of their games on PC is agreeable to me.

I bought an Xbone and got MCC free during Black Friday 2014 because I was able to trade in my PS3 and get it for under $200 at the Microsoft Store. My friends convinced me that the Xbone was turning around for the better and is a great console now.

Less than 3 months later, MCC still had major bugs and showed barely any signs of improvement. I decided that enough is enough and returned both the console and game back to the Microsoft Store. Didn't help that the Xbone UI is atrocious, had the controller disconnect crap happen more often than not and some odd console issues.

Never again. PS4 + Wii U + PC all the way this gen.

Majine

Banned
Wat. The E3 2013 showing they had was amazing. It was the information that got out before that was killing them.

CD'S BAR

No interest, still. Originally favored PS4 because of price and controller. Also the only games I've been interested in so far this gen are multi-plat, so no exclusives incentive either.

If I had even the slightest interest though some of these Xbone deals they've got going on lately would be mighty tempting.

Picked one up once the Kinect was dropped and it went down to $400. And MCC was announced.

A year later, I don't regret the decision, but I'm not thrilled with the console. D4 and Ori have been the best things I've played on it. MCC was a bust, Halo 5 looks like ass, and I'm bored of the rest of their core franchises (Gears, Fable, Forza). I'm counting on Quantum Break, Scalebound, and other new IPs (Recore?) to really justify the purchase.

Still need to play Sunset Overdrive though. I want to, just haven't gotten around to it. Still bonding with Geralt, and Big Boss is right around the corner.

Over two years later, are you still steadfast in your position? Has MS managed to persuade you in light of the various 180's, price drops/promotions, 360 BC, etc etc?
Nope, once I saw all the Japanese titles going to PS4 only, it went pretty close to zero.

I don't even think I'll pick it up when it's $150 after seeing some of the exclusive games. Just not really into playing MS exclusives, I only like there software updates better at this point.

PR has been much better, but I don't get the genuine vibe from it either. And I don't like some of the third party moves they've made. I'll get into MS gaming through PC only going forward, there's no reason to ever get an X1 for me over just getting Windows 10.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom