• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

For those who care - all 291 DBZ episodes remastered in season sets starting February

Status
Not open for further replies.

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber
FUNimation Entertainment announces the definitive Dragon Ball Z collection available February 2007 in TV on DVD season sets

Fort Worth, TX -- November 13, 2006 -- FUNimation Entertainment, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Navarre Corporation (NASDAQ: NAVR) and the market share leader for home video sales of Japanese animation in the United States, is the U.S. company behind the success of anime phenomenon Dragon Ball Z. Today, the company announced that it has digitally remastered in high definition and restored the entire Dragon Ball Z series, all 291 episodes. The Dragon Ball Z Season Sets will be available at a suggested retail price (SRP) of $49.98 at major retailers nationwide on February 6, 2007.

?This is a great announcement for the Dragon Ball Z collector and the first time fan,? says Gen Fukunaga, president and CEO of FUNimation Entertainment. ?The entire DBZ series has been transferred from the original Japanese film and digitally remastered and restored.?

FUNimation worked with Dallas-based Video Post & Transfer (VPT), a full-service post-production house that provides a complete spectrum of video & film related services, for the digital remastering and restoration. The Dragon Ball Z series was digitally transferred from the original Japanese film frame by frame at 1080p. During the process, VPT utilized state-of-the-art digital noise reduction units to remove film grain and thousands of instances of dirt, scratches and debris. The transfer was performed by nationally-recognized colorist Steve Franko and supervised by FUNimation.

?It?s a new era for Dragon Ball Z and this is a project we have been looking forward to for a long time,? continues Fukunaga. ?The Dragon Ball Z Season Sets will be the definitive collection for the loyal fans of the series and they are a great way to introduce the series to a new generation of Dragon Ball Z fans.?

Dragon Ball Z is the explosive sequel to Dragon Ball. The series follows the adventures of Goku and his son Gohan as they team up with their friends to battle evil forces throughout the universe to protect their beloved planet Earth.

The first Dragon Ball Z Season Set includes 39 episodes on five DVDs with over 900 minutes of action. For the first time, fans will be able to listen to the original Japanese score with either the original Japanese dialogue or the English dialogue. There is also a special ?making of? section for the new high definition Dragon Ball Z masters. Other special features for the Dragon Ball Z Season Sets include revised English dialogue and a brand new 5.1 surround audio mix.

Dragon Ball Z Season Set 1 covers the Vegeta Saga and it chronicles the introduction of one of Dragon Ball Z?s main characters, Vegeta. The Dragon Ball Z Season Sets will be available at major retailers nationwide on February 6, 2007 and will have an SRP of $49.98.

They have a trailer on the DBZ site.

LordMaji

Sweet!

So this has the english dub? sorry I'm not a jap w/ english subtitles type person. I don't mind the english dub.

My son & I love DB/DBZ. They have any plans to do this w/ the original DB? or have they? I haven't been able to find Full Box set Seasons on DVD for DB. Just dl. :(

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
39 eps over 5 DVDs is roughly 8 eps per DVD, not 3-4

Xdrive05

Funny that this should come up RIGHT AFTER I finish watching all the episodes on youtube anyway (a few weeks ago). Still I might be interested.

There are a lot of things that I hate about the show, but I can't seem to stop watching it. Like being addicted to crack, you know it's not the best thing in the world, but you do it anyway. But every now and then something happens that I really like so it's all worth it in the end.

Snaku

Banned
Wait...WTF? Widescreen...THEY'RE CROPPING IT? How could FUNi possibly find a way to **** this set up? Jesus Christ, they can't go one DBZ release without ****ing it up somehow.

DBZComparison.jpg

Bite my shiny metal ass, FUNi.

Snaku said:
Wait...WTF? Widescreen...THEY'RE CROPPING IT? How could FUNi possibly find a way to **** this set up? Jesus Christ, they can't go one DBZ release without ****ing it up somehow.

DBZComparison.jpg

Bite my shiny metal ass, FUNi.
Where does it mention widescreen?

Snaku

Banned
metsallica said:
Where does it mention widescreen?

In the trailer on the official site. The comparison picture is from FUNi's forum. You are gaining picture on the sides, but the top and bottom are being cropped.

kIdMuScLe

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000KWZ1TI/?tag=neogaf0e-20

is this the same DVD box set that i pre-order way back in JULY?!?!1? If so, i've been waitin for this as it was supposed to be release around september, then i got a notice that it was pushed back to november and now i got another notice saying that i will received the box set on december 29. =_/ damn IT GAF!! I CAN"T ****IN WAIT NOM MORE@@!!!@

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
damn, this sounds great.

what does revised English dialogue mean? are they having the same actors through the whole thing instead of having the different voice actors nearer to the beginning of the series?

cropping is a =( though

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
I'd like to see a DVD of Dragon Ball Z with all the filler cut out. Each episode would be like 1/3 the length.

joaomgcd

Shouldn't this be released on HD-DVD or Bluray since it's 1080p? :lol Or are they just holding out for the hyper-supreme version?

Snaku

Banned
The Season One set is out, and so are the comparison screen captures. The top screen cap was taken from the Toei's Dragon Box sets, while the bottom screen was taken from FUNi's Season One set.

snapshot20070124211000of5.png

vlcsnap2430373ct0.png

crop3xr9.jpg

dbzseason01disc56va1.jpg

crop10yv1.jpg

dbzseason01disc512db2.jpg

crop17tg9.jpg

dbzseason01disc520nc7.jpg

snapshot20061116234958jd4.jpg

dbzseason01disc515yv8.jpg

And now an overlay comparison.

krillincrop9oitc3.jpg

Credit goes to godofchaos at the Daizenshuu EX forums.

I think I'm going to import the Dragon Box single DVDs. The deception involved with this set is unbelievable. FUNi won't get dime one from me this time.

newprojecthn6.jpg

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Heh, the AR change does screw up the framing of all of those shots...but then, artistic integrity wouldn't be my #1 priority concerning DBZ...

I don't mind the cropping...I'm so freakin excited!
I've been aching to see the entire DBZ series in Japanese audio, and not the crappy dub...I'm sooooo buying it! :D

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
EviLore said:
Heh, the AR change does screw up the framing of all of those shots...but then, artistic integrity wouldn't be my #1 priority concerning DBZ...

The HD DVD releases of Casablanca and The Adventures of Robin Hood are examples of OAR Academy ratio material in 1080p, but I guess those get a little more respect than DBZ.

Ryck

Vong_Assassin said:
I don't mind the cropping...I'm so freakin excited!
I've been aching to see the entire DBZ series in Japanese audio, and not the crappy dub...I'm sooooo buying it! :D
Yeah, I've been meaning to throw away my old bootleg subtitled vhs tapes..I never could get used to hearing it in english. Im not an elitist in any sense but I thought those english dub guys were horrible.. or maybe the Japanese ones were just really good I dunno but Dbz was the only time I couldn't handle dubbed.

Crab Shaker

Doesn't pay his sources
man, that's really ****ing tough. Why the **** did they do that?

Is that how they're fitting so many onto each disc?

Snaku

Banned
Crab Shaker said:
man, that's really ****ing tough. Why the **** did they do that?

FUNi can't go through with a DBZ release without ****ing up a major aspect. These things aren't even remastered, as plainly seen by the dirt on the Vegeta/Gohan screen cap. They just cropped the original masters because they didn't want to digitally paint over the glue damage on the top and bottom of the image, frame by frame, as was done in the Dragon Box sets.

Diablos

Don't care about DBZ or anime in general, but I can't help but also agree that they really ****ed up. That looks terrible.

Snaku

Banned
Holy shit, they even lied with their previous example shot they had on their website!

Screen cap from FUNi's website:
funiwidescreenwebsiterm2.jpg

Actual screen cap from the DVD:
dvdwidescreenresmatchedxr7.jpg

Notice the vertical stretching on the DVD cap? WTF?

Snaku said:
Holy shit, they even lied with their previous example shot they had on their website!

Screen cap from FUNi's website:
funiwidescreenwebsiterm2.jpg

Actual screen cap from the DVD:
dvdwidescreenresmatchedxr7.jpg

Notice the vertical stretching on the DVD cap? WTF?

It looks a lot better, though.

I don't think this is worth the holy wars you're doing.

bumpkin

Awesome! I was more or less waiting for them to release sets before I collected the ones I was missing. My collection consists primarily of a shitload of the original Pioneer DVD releases, so these will be great replacements. :D

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
while i'm not 100% excited about the cropping...the widescreen is cool. i can't help but wonder what happened to the little corners that made it impossible to show the whole vertical frame as well as the added on horizontal frame :p

i'm also glad i waited on buying any DBZ dvds. i'll definitely have to pick up the whole series sometime. its like the one anime i actually like the whole way through.

Avalon

davepoobond said:
i'm also glad i waited on buying any DBZ dvds. i'll definitely have to pick up the whole series sometime. its like the one anime i actually like the whole way through.

Definitely. I've been waiting for something like this.

stonedwal

Must admit that I am a little annoyed because I was expecting to be able to get the newer "Ultimate Uncut" DVDs for the two sets I am missing at the start of the series (still missing two from later in the series). I'm not going to like the inconsistency stemming from having around 40 episodes in widescreen and different quality to the other 250, but I'll grin and bear it.

I guess it depends what Madman does here in Australia. They released the first Ultimate Uncut set with Episodes 1-21, so it'd be kind of annoying if I have to rebuy a number of those episodes.

Might grab those two later sets I am missing now then.

Edit: Just took a look, our sets are gonna be the same, so I guess I'll be buying the first two of them to cover the episodes I am missing. Price is better than what I paid for the Ultimate Uncut set, but I'm still a little annoyed.

Shinobi

I like DBZ until partway through the Android/Cell saga...it completely jumped the shark at that point, save for a handful of episodes and scenes. As overextended as Goku vs Freiza was, it was a hell of a lot more interesting and consistent then Gohan vs Cell.

Crab Shaker

Doesn't pay his sources
Every time I see this thread I get pissed, just thinking about how much I would want to buy this if it weren't all ****ed up in the aspect ratio.

Pachinko

I"m kind of wondering what the big gripe is here, if you want full sized 4:3 content that you have to stretch to fit your 16:9 tv then import the dragonbox sets from japan or buy the hong kong releases for 14 dollars a pop in finer china towns everywhere, if you want a 16:9 cut with a MUCH cleaner picture and a shit ton of LEGAL episodes in one set for a decent price then buy this new set.

EctoPrime

Seeing as how around eight episodes fit on a dual layer dvd how many would fit on Blue Ray or HD dvd when at 1080p. I'd like to know as I'm planning on buying the Ultimate version Funimation must be planning on milking.

Link

The Autumn Wind
So did they include both the original English VA's and the newer English VA's? Because the originals were a whole lot better. All the newer guys sound like they're trying way too hard to sound tough, especially Vegeta and Piccolo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom