• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

For you, what are the best and worst developer names?

bakedpony

Not including names based on their location, which developers have the best and which have the worst company names?

v4wXHyv.jpg

v6eAcP5.png

Pretty good names.

Servbot24

Banned
I actually really like FROM.

Worst is probably thatgamecompany.

I dislike names that reference how extreme or zany said company is.

thats why they changed it to "cdp.pl" :D

I don't see that as an improvement, but at least you can find their website more easily?

People Can Fly is an amazing name.

I get Super Giant Games and Big Huge Games confused often enough that they're both probably bad.

Epic was a good name, it's not their fault that word has been run through the wringer. Epic MegaGames, maybe less so.

megalowho

Always liked: Media Molecule, BioWare, Traveller's Tales, PopCap, Brøderbund

Not a fan: Visceral Games, CD Projekt RED, thatgamecompany, Dimps, Zynga

Ciastek3214

thats why they changed it to "cdp.pl" :D

CD from CD Projekt comes not from CD format, but is an acronym of Computer Distribution or something like that, they said so in the interview. It was because they were the first company to distribute games in Poland, hence the "Projekt" in name. CDP is probably because they freakin' love acronyms.

Sethos

Banned
Worst:

Activision ( Sounds like an eyetest )

ArenaNet

CD Projekt RED

Epic Games

Naughty Dog

Zynga

Visceral Games ( Go die in an oil fire )

Capcom ( "That's why I need a name that's cutting-edge, like CutCo, EdgeCom, Interslice" )

PopCap Games

Best:

Slightly Mad Studios

Rockstar

Namco Bandai ( I don't know why, it rolls so beautifully off your tongue )

spirity

Go back to the 8 bit era for some bad names. Ultimate Play The Game is pretty bad, even though their games were some of the best. There was a lot of companies that had plays on words like micro, bit, byte etc, deliberately mis-spelling them. Conversely, you had Hewson Consultants and Prism Leisure, which didn't sound like video game companies at all.

People Can Fly, Insomniac, Pandemic and Rocksteady are good ones that come to mind. Naughty Dog is fun too.

Bad ones? Activision is terrible. CD Projekt Red is is almost comically weird and foreign.

Rockstar is a brilliant name, as is Polyphony, Platinum, Psygnosis, Insomniac, Bioware, Crytek, Team Ico and Infinity Ward

Never liked Naughty Dog as a name even though its my favourite studio, and I don't like DICE as a name either

Squishy

Good:

Electronic Arts, Psygnosis, Neversoft, Crystal Dynamics, Silicon Knights, Oddworld Inhabitants, Quantic Dream, Squaresoft.

Bad:

CyberConnect2, Epic Games, Level-5, Factor 5, Platinum Games, Team17.

Edit: How could I forget Infogrames?

DJIzana

Good:

Electronic Arts, Psygnosis, Neversoft, Crystal Dynamics, Silicon Knights, Oddworld Inhabitants, Quantic Dream, Squaresoft.

Bad:

CyberConnect2, Epic Games, Level-5, Factor 5, Platinum Games, Team17.

Edit: How could I forget Infogrames?

Definitely agree with CyberConnect2 and Level-5.

Kurtofan

good:Crystal Dynamics, Black Isle Studios, Obsidian Entertainment, Eidos, Troika, Konami, Capcom, Nintendo, Insomniac games, Occean, Lucasarts.

I love cool sounding Japanese names and evocative English names

bad:Square-Enix, Bioware,Midway, Titus, Virgin Interactive, Sucker Punch, Acclaim, Sega, HAL.

Top Bottom