• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forbes (contributor): 'Last Jedi' Grosses Are Collapsing...

WaterAstro

How did Luke even know they were on Crait? Does he have god like omniscience?
If he does, why doesn't he use that power to help defeat the First Order? He would know where everyone and everything is at all times. How do you defeat that?

Well, uh, he kinda died after using it once. I mean, I think he died? Force passed away? lol

Grinchy

Banned
How did Luke even know they were on Crait? Does he have god like omniscience?
If he does, why doesn't he use that power to help defeat the First Order? He would know where everyone and everything is at all times. How do you defeat that?
I guess he technically could have force skyped Rey while she was flying over to meet with the resistance. Of all the problems this movie has, Luke knowing where all the strongest force users were after we saw that they were all on conference calls for the past hour is just not much of a head-scratcher.

Last edited:

grumpyGamer

It may an opinion against the tide of the new generation of people watching star wars, but i hated the movie very much, it had no soul, and the story looked like teen drama to me (exagerating a bit maybe), i did try to like the movie but for some reason the movies these days take the audience for stupid people and simplify things alot, i am not even going to speak about the scenes with luke, wich were a waste of the character

DSN2K

I have a feeling rian won't finish this new trilogy, Disney are ruthless and its why they are so successful. I expect they will have far more control over the story. 700m down is not acceptable for Mickey mouse...regardless if it makes 1.3B

Narroo

I guess he technically could have force skyped Rey while she was flying over to meet with the resistance. Of all the problems this movie has, Luke knowing where all the strongest force users were after we saw that they were all on conference calls for the past hour is just not much of a head-scratcher.
It's a head scratcher all-right, just for different reasons.

Kadayi

Banned
I have a feeling rian won't finish this new trilogy, Disney are ruthless and its why they are so successful. I expect they will have far more control over the story. 700m down is not acceptable for Mickey mouse...regardless if it makes 1.3B
Same, despite the pushed narrative of it being the biggest film of last year, I would imagine Disney's box office expectations would have been much higher for what is one of their flagship IPs and given the volume of criticism aimed at the film and I would expect serious questions are being asked by the board. A lot really depends on how long Kennedy can remain in charge. If Solo somehow manages to avoid being the dumpster fire people are envisaging and makes a decent return (despite the extensive and expensive reshoots) then I suspect she'll remain in charge, in which case Johnson might well still be around to the point where. whatever he's concocting gets fully underway. However, if Solo crashes and burns then I suspect Kennedy herself will be replaced and whomever they send in to replace her will have no hesitation in cleaning house. Certainly wouldn't expect any news on either front for a while.

mrkgoo

Well i was thinking about it and the whole Finn and Rose looking for help was total waste of time since it had 0 meaning for the movie.

Or it had the BIGGEST meaning - the rebooting of the rebellion.

In TFA, the First Order were a break-off trying to reboot the Empire amongst a civilised New Republic, and being resisted by the sanctioned Resistance. During that film,the First Order flexes its power and destroys the key planets of the New Republic.

By the begging of TLJ, despite having lost Starkiller base, The First Order are sweeping up, and putting the Resistance down, with the events of the movie (yes, indirectly and directly caused by Poe) bringinthem down to a number that can fit in a single ship.

Luke actually states that this is the day the Rebellion is reborn. And how does that happen? Besides the resistance regrouping, it happens by spreading the "legend" of Luke Skywalker, and his stories as well as other heroes. The rebirth of the rebellion begins with kids hearing these stories and reaming, much like Luke and Rey before them. Kids like "Broom Kid" - and where do they get their spark? From Rose and Poe.

In TFA, the First Order were a break-off trying to reboot the Empire amongst a civilised New Republic, and being resisted by the sanctioned Resistance. During that film,the First Order flexes its power and destroys the key planets of the New Republic.

By the begging of TLJ, despite having lost Starkiller base, The First Order are sweeping up, and putting the Resistance down, with the events of the movie (yes, indirectly and directly caused by Poe) bringinthem down to a number that can fit in a single ship.

Luke actually states that this is the day the Rebellion is reborn. And how does that happen? Besides the resistance regrouping, it happens by spreading the "legend" of Luke Skywalker, and his stories as well as other heroes. The rebirth of the rebellion begins with kids hearing these stories and reaming, much like Luke and Rey before them. Kids like "Broom Kid" - and where do they get their spark? From Rose and Poe.

Two people who left them behind to remain slaves while they freed space horses...

I must be more cynical because my first though after they showed kid using force was that he will be new Anakin only question is if he defends Kylo in episode 9 instead of Rey or does he get episodes 10-12 to shine :D

luxsol

I must be more cynical because my first though after they showed kid using force was that he will be new Anakin only question is if he defends Kylo in episode 9 instead of Rey or does he get episodes 10-12 to shine :D
I hope they don't show him as anything special, outside of just being able to use the Force at an early age, since shouldn't someone who is connected with the Force always have the ability to access it?

It should be second nature, but only in terms of simple abilities. Using the Force to reach out like that should be innate. It's only through Jedi education that they should ever acquire the more metaphysical or advanced techniques.
Someone like Anakin being able to use the Force to look into the future without any tutelage, for his pod racing, should be a stand out though. Makes him a little more special vs something as mundane as grabbing or maybe those vocal things Obi Wan could do.

Also, i hope they forget all about Rey and Kylo if they ever go beyond these movies. They're pretty awful characters, in that they don't really have character.... which i guess works if you have Rey show up as some background head mistress character. I doubt Kylo survives this trilogy anyway.

Honestly, i'd rather future movies not be about jedi. Keep them in the background, because everythign else in the Star wars universe is far more interesting than a bunch of monks and the misuse of Rey's powers shows they don't understand how a Jedi starts. Seriously, her Mary Sueness really soured me and makes me dread if they try to do another Jedi main character.

I'm fairly sure I'm in the minority since I'm the furthest thing from a Star Wars fan but seeing how boring the movie was to me I would have loved if the had gone full force unleash and make everyone super saiyan Jedi, at least then the action set piece wouldn't be so damn boring to me and I could stand the shit writing but alas it was not to be

Bryank75

Banned
Can't see myself going to another SW film any time soon... this all could have been avoided if they went in a new direction. My personal preference was a story following a female child adopted by a force witch and how the void of the Emperor could be filled by a cruel young sith in the making.
It would allow more force powers and saber battles and build that darker side of the universe.

luxsol

I'm fairly sure I'm in the minority since I'm the furthest thing from a Star Wars fan but seeing how boring the movie was to me I would have loved if the had gone full force unleash and make everyone super saiyan Jedi, at least then the action set piece wouldn't be so damn boring to me and I could stand the shit writing but alas it was not to be
I'm a Star Wars fan and i found it pretty damn boring.
Only this and Mortal Kombat 2 made me want to leave the theater. I left for MK2 but not TLJ, because i kept hoping they'd do something more interested.
They somehow made space battles boring, which i've never seen a bad one of, until TLJ.

Since you want extreme battles, what's your view on the original Trilogy?
I actually thought that the fights in the prequels were pretty extreme, where they're basically heavily choreographed dances, but i went along with it, since that's how the Jedi were in their prime. It was believable within the context of the series, but i liked the more realistic, heavier feeling fights in the OT. Their style can be understood where it's a bunch of old men and a noob fighting.

Sapiens

In regards to the rebellion being reborn...considering they fucked it up so bad after part 6, and couldn't even defeat the new order of cosplayers, do we really want these people in charge of a reborn rebellion?

Everything about the way they set up the main good vs evil conflict in this film is incomprehensible.

I'm a Star Wars fan and i found it pretty damn boring.
Only this and Mortal Kombat 2 made me want to leave the theater. I left for MK2 but not TLJ, because i kept hoping they'd do something more interested.
They somehow made space battles boring, which i've never seen a bad one of, until TLJ.

Since you want extreme battles, what's your view on the original Trilogy?
I actually thought that the fights in the prequels were pretty extreme, where they're basically heavily choreographed dances, but i went along with it, since that's how the Jedi were in their prime. It was believable within the context of the series, but i liked the more realistic, heavier feeling fights in the OT. Their style can be understood where it's a bunch of old men and a noob fighting.
I though the battles in the original trilogy was pretty weak as well but the actual movies were fun so I didn't min too much, the prequel battles was a tad over choreographed but still more enjoyable to me than what we got here partly because the music was on point, which i something seriously lacking in these new movies imo, the music just feel unmemorable. All in all though I played and enjoyed the force unleash game quite a few years ago and think the fighting in that is way more impressive than any of the movies.

mrkgoo

People would’ve been fine with his dramatic shift if more time was spent with Luke as he changed.

I don’t consider Force projection to be that amazing. It felt like it came out of no where. It may have been mentioned by Kylo but it’s just a quick throwaway line

I personally don't think Luke's position requires any more explanation or time spent than it was given.

He has lost faith basically in himself basically. He felt he has done more harm than good, and doesn't want to do more harm. Is running away and hiding from your troubles a good resolution? No, of course not and Luke's arc reflects that theme.

I totallY bought his reasons. He brought it upon himself to train Ben and to an extent he did fail him, or at least he thought so.

Sure any more than what we were given might have fleshed it out somewhat, but ultimately probably wouldn't have mattered to the movie as a whole.

Last edited:
I personally don't think Luke's position requires any more explanation or time spent than it was given.

He has lost faith basically in himself basically. He felt he has done more harm than good, and doesn't want to do more harm. Is running away and hiding from your troubles a good resolution? No, of course not and Luke's arc reflects that theme.

I totallY bought his reasons. He brought it upon himself to train Ben and to an extent he did fail him, or at least he thought so.

Sure any more than what we were given might have fleshed it out somewhat, but ultimately probably wouldn't have mattered to the movie as a whole.
The dramatic shift I’m talking about is him going from someone who would spare a life after willing many people to wanting to kill someone based on a vision. It didn’t sit right with me.

mrkgoo

The dramatic shift I’m talking about is him going from someone who would spare a life after willing many people to wanting to kill someone based on a vision. It didn’t sit right with me.
like he said it was a fleeting thought, and he was ashamed of it. I suppose the idea was that he saw such darkness, and the future of the death and striations of his school, etc, possible the further rise of the First Order and so on, and figured he could end it all then. Of course, as movie-goers, we know visions may be truthful but tend to be self-fulfilling, lol. Like in Empire when Luke sees his friends suffering and rushes off to "Save" them, only to find out their suffering was meant to incite him to show up in the first place.

Top Bottom