• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Last Jedi's Rian Johnson Explains Why He Deleted 20,000 Tweets After James Gunn's Firing

NahaNago

I don't see it as destroying the past at all. The two examples I always hear is that it destroyed Luke's character and space combat via the hyperdrive ram, neither of which I can agree with. Honestly it's like saying the prequels ruined lightsaber combat... doesn't make sense to me...

Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of valid criticisms towards the movie, mainly that 80% of the plot was just filler, and everything to do with Leia, but in general it's a decent Star Wars movie that hopefully will pay off even better with the next one...

Unfortunately I just don't see it as a decent star wars movie.

edit: I do find it weird that you can be destroyed for something that you said a few years before that barely anyone got freaked out about. I can understand getting heat now for typing something stupid but the landscape has dramatically changed in just the last 5 years and folks usually adapt to those changes for the most part.

BANGS

Banned
I really don't think "don't make jokes about raping kids or babies" is some impossibly high standard that Hollywood elites just can't reach
Because when you are a comedian it's literally your job to make tasteless jokes... and even if you're not a comedian it's your right to do so...

MilkyJoe

I do. Finn's arc felt unnatural and tacked into it, and some of the humourous and silly scenes were stretched too far, but it is otherwise a movie with excellent moments (Kylo/ Rey interaction, the thronce scene, the lightspeed sacrifice, the entire Luke's sequence at the end). I have faith that Rian will do a better job with his new trilogy now that he has no baggage from the past and can do his own thing.

He's never getting that trilogy.

Fox Mulder

I really don't think "don't make jokes about raping kids or babies" is some impossibly high standard that Hollywood elites just can't reach

James Gunn and Rian Johnson weren't famous Hollywood elites a few years ago when they started tweeting. Gunn got started doing try hard and offensive on purpose Troma stuff.

Twitter was also a hot take factory for making attention grabbing tweets for years, which have only recently been used by the left and right to get people they hate fired in today's sensitive world. It's not going to get better, so why even use it if you have something to lose.

PrCat88

The Last Jedi sucked. but it would suck less if Rian Johnson wasn't fanning the flames with the audience he clearly divided. Star Wars should be a universally beloved franchise. I shouldn't have to defend why I disliked Luke Skywalker, Rose Tico, DJ and Vice Admiral Holdo's performances while being branded as some racist, misogynistic manbaby. Just thought it was a lousy script that made me uninterested in where it goes from here.

JD_Shadow

Neo Member
Oh the irony with "Mary Sue" of all publication names being on it so thick. ;)

You mean the same types of media that fell for Mike Cernovich's BS twice now?

Well, Sam Seder isn't exactly the best journalist that's ever graced the world of news, the fact that they couldn't see how utterly full of shit Cernovich is shows just how idiotic people are for believing anything he ever says.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
You mean the same types of media that fell for Mike Cernovich's BS twice now?

Well, Sam Seder isn't exactly the best journalist that's ever graced the world of news, the fact that they couldn't see how utterly full of shit Cernovich is shows just how idiotic people are for believing anything he ever says.

Well not that, but how Rey has been called and seemingly confirmed to be a "Mary Sue", lol.

ZehDon

I mean, honestly, can anyone blame anyone for scrubbing their social media at this point? What was once a platform to share, has become all PR all the time. It’s nothing more than the illusion of a person, another part of public figures carefully cultivated images. There are no such things as “private” social media accounts. Rian’s ahead of the game here - after Gunn, twitter purges are the smartest move.

Top Bottom