• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forbes Hip-Hop Cash Kings List 2014 (#1 Dr Dre $620 Million)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not surprised its Dre #1

Drake doing amazing considering hes still young in the game

dr-dre-500x349.jpg

It’s that time of the year — again. Forbes is back with their favorite list where they rank top earners from the Hip-Hop world according to their estimates. Dr. Dre is on top of the list yet again with $620 million, thanks to the massive Apple-Beats deal earlier this year. The $620 million sum is also more than the remaining 24 names on the Hip-Hop Cash Kings list combined.

Jay Z and Diddy are tied at #2 with #60 million each while Drake enters the top 5 with $33 million.

Methodology:

The Hip-Hop Cash Kings list tracks pretax earnings for living artists whose work is primarily classified as hip-hop or rap. To form the list, we considered income from touring, record sales, publishing, merchandise sales, endorsements and other ventures. Management, agent and attorney fees are not deducted. Earnings are calculated from June 2013 to June 2014 and based on data from Pollstar, the RIAA and Nielsen SoundScan, and from interviews with numerous managers, lawyers, music executives and some of the artists themselves.

Peep the full list below.

1. Dr. Dre – $620 million
2. Jay Z – $60 million
2. Diddy – $60 million
4. Drake – $33 million
5. Macklemore & Ryan Lewis – $32 million
6. Kanye West – $30 million
7. Birdman – $24 million
8. Lil Wayne – $23 million
9. Pharrell Williams – $22 million
10. Eminem – $18 million
11. Nicki Minaj – $14 million
12. Wiz Khalifa – $13 million
13. Pitbull – $12 million
14. Snoop Dogg – $10 million
15. Kendrick Lamar – $9 million
16. 50 Cent – $8 million
16. Ludacris – $8 million
16. Tech N9ne – $8 million
16. Swizz Beatz – $8 million
20. Rick Ross – $7 million
20. J. Cole – $7 million
20. DJ Khaled – $7 million
20. Lil Jon – $7 million
20. Mac Miller – $7 million

http://hiphop-n-more.com/2014/09/forbes-releases-latest-hip-hop-cash-kings-list/

RJT

lol this... Good on him though

must be like a production or touring company, something along those lines

He's probably making a buck reading those health products disclaimers on ads. That fast spitting skills...

Give it up to Nicki Minaj making the cut though. That surprised the hell out of me as she is the only women on the list.

Far from a flop tbh. Iggy tried.

Honest question, what has Diddy been doing to still make that much? I really haven't seen him doing anything other then a few commercials for alcohol companies.

KidJr

How is Tech N9ne making so much money?

He has no major label support so to speak of, does everything independent (I believe even distrubution) and as with most artist makes the majority of his income via touring. Tech n9ne has had ridiculous world wide and loyal fan base that its taken him a long long time to build up.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
I thought snoop would have a LOT more than that.

I thought Dre was close to a billion? He still has a long way to go.
Just money made last year, not total worth.

Honest question, what has Diddy been doing to still make that much? I really haven't seen him doing anything other then a few commercials for alcohol companies.
He owns Ciroc, iirc, so I'm sure a big chunk of that money is from there. Plus Diddy has his fingers in a million different things.

KidJr

I'm not sure the exact percentages but Diddy holds alot of investments, I believe (I'm kinda speculating from memory) but his Sean Jean and Circoc vodko investment make up the majority of his worth. Last time I remembered Sean jean brand was worth close to 300 million and has been consistently profitable, but even better is the Ciroc Vodka deal, again not sure on exact figures but I believe he gets something close to 50% of their profits.

KidJr

Although we'd never get that information I would be interested to know what the net earnings where for these guys. I mean hell they're rappers, so I take everything with a pinch of salt, But I bet after tax, fee's, label costs and other stupid expenses I would bet some of those number would fall by half for a lot of those rappers.

Syntsui

Although we'd never get that information I would be interested to know what the net earnings where for these guys. I mean hell they're rappers, so I take everything with a pinch of salt, But I bet after tax, fee's, label costs and other stupid expenses I would bet some of those number would fall by half for a lot of those rappers.

Maybe, even more interesting would be to know how rich they REALLY are considering what they gain ''off the records'' and keep in tax havens.

Because if you can read you'd realize it's income and they are a group and thus take in the income together.
Thanks for such a heartfelt, eloquent response. They're also separate people so it doesn't make sense to include them as a pair on a list that is otherwise entirely individuals. Or I would know as much if I could read.

Macklemore making more than Kanye? What? Well I guess Same Love was technically one of the biggest rap songs on the radio last year, so that makes sense, but still kind of crazy.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
diddy and jay just happen to be at an even 60mil each...gtfo here. list is a guestimation , does diddy even make money on albums anymore, he does a shit ton of things.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

You know he actually owns a stake in that alcohol that he's selling right? He's not just a pitch man. And he has his own TV network.

shuri

Banned
I remember Ice-T saying on his podcast how a lot of people would be disappointed to learn that lots of rap stars are broke as fuck, drowning in debts and child support.. and that 98% of them wasted away everything they had. He said he was lucky to having being born with some business sense and hoarded his money and made small but wise investment and thats why now he's still living well.

RJT

diddy and jay just happen to be at an even 60mil each...gtfo here. list is a guestimation , does diddy even make money on albums anymore, he does a shit ton of things.

Here's a mindblowing fact: you know that unemployment numbers, civilians killed in Iraq, number of people in the world, etc.? They're estimates too!

The fact that they round it up to millions says that they're not being too precise. They're not aiming or claiming to be either.

Syntsui

I remember Ice-T saying on his podcast how a lot of people would be disappointed to learn that lots of rap stars are broke as fuck, drowning in debts and child support.. and that 98% of them wasted away everything they had. He said he was lucky to having being born with some business sense and hoarded his money and made small but wise investment and thats why now he's still living well.

Well, this is pretty much true but 98% of them are not on this list.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom