• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forbes: Marvel & DC Fans: Stop Rooting Against Each Other's Films

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't consider Bobby to have been condescending here in this thread, really.

If people want to see some actual condescension, I'm more than happy to oblige, with the following: a lot of the disconnect in the back-and-forth between the "camps" here on GAF is often driven by discussion between those who have a deep reservoir of appreciation and interest for film itself and where it goes with comic book adaptations (which they may also have a deep appreciation for), versus those who are mostly incapable or unwilling of discussing the finer nuance of such things because they are primarily interested in easily digested escapism wrapped inside the clothing of their favorite properties.

I'd be surprised if people knew what some of these directors and behind the scenes moviefolk look like at all, let alone base any judgement of their films upon it...

I literally only just found out what Zack Snyder looks like through the magic of google. I have no idea what the Russo brothers look like. I've seen Bryan Singer before. And Joss Whedon. No idea what Kevin Feige looks like. I just googled Christopher Nolan.

And none of this has made Man of Steel enjoyable.

inky

You quoted the direct sentence earlier. I don't know why you're trying to rephrase it clumsily. There's no need. I essentially suggested people would cut him more slack if he didn't look like a "dudebro." Obviously I'm putting forward the idea there's a contingent of superhero film fans (and to be even more blatantly clear, we're talking about a subsection of a subsection of film fan, further subsected (is that a word?) into those who choose to discuss film at length on forums/facebook/twitter) who unfairly factor his appearance/diction into their judgments of him..

Not trying to rephrase anything, just trying to understand the purpose of bringing that up in this thread as something that bears repeating. There's a ton of contingents who hold a variety of opinions.

If people want to see some actual condescension, I'm more than happy to oblige, with the following: a lot of the disconnect in the back-and-forth between the "camps" here on GAF is often driven by discussion between those who have a deep reservoir of appreciation and interest for film itself and where it goes with comic book adaptations (which they may also have a deep appreciation for), versus those who are mostly incapable or unwilling of discussing the finer nuance of such things because they are primarily interested in easily digested escapism wrapped inside the clothing of their favorite properties.

Eh, even if that is true, the discussions usually boil down to one company vs another, not incapable comic book fans spanning all companies vs "those who have a deep reservoir of appreciation and interest for film itself", so there's certainly more at play here. I rarely if ever see DC and Marvel fans united arguing against those who post "condescendingly", which would happen because there's plenty to write about every single comic book movie regardless of who made it.

IconGrist

Was it necessary to write that out instead of, "there's a difference between film buffs and people who just enjoy silly movies with their favorite superheroes"?

Just curious.

Not trying to rephrase anything, just trying to understand the purpose of bringing that up in this thread

Nah, you rephrased it, it's not like it happened on accident. I brought it up because it's a thread about various ridiculous generalizations and arguments fans will make when discussing superhero films and making the silly decision to take sides, and some of the silly reasonings they will use when taking those sides.

My observation and opinion absolutely fits into the context of that larger conversation.

I'd be surprised if people knew what some of these directors and behind the scenes moviefolk look like at all,

Be surprised, then.

Was it necessary to write that out instead of, "there's a difference between film buffs and people who just enjoy silly movies with their favorite superheroes"?

Just curious.

Maybe not necessary, no. I admittedly do have a problem with letting myself get carried away into purple-prose land.

Dommo

Yep. 100% yep.

I'm going to take up for Bobby but he doesn't ever act like the smartest person in the room. He, like a lot of us that are a part of film-gaf, have more knowledge of film than most. This can lead to a tone that can be considered condescending but I don't believe it is ever meant to be.

I can't say I agree, but I'll just leave it at this for now: lack of favoritism towards one side or another is not the same thing as objectivity, and bias against favoritism to one side or another (or against being perceived as having such a bias) is not really any better than bias towards one side or another.

Much of American political journalism proves this point. :)

Blader

I'm expecting to enjoy Marvel's upcoming movies. I want to be able to enjoy DC's upcoming movies, but I'm not exactly counting on it.

I think the main thing for me is that I don't really know what to expect from the DC slate. I know who's getting a movie and who isn't, but just listing off the names doesn't instill a lot of hype in me the way "Civil War" or "Ragnarok" or "Infinity War" do. Not that I know what Marvel's grand plan is either, but I at least recognize those subtitles and have some idea of what they'll entail, even if they take a lot of liberties with the comic stories.

I don't want either company to outright tell us the narrative blueprint for their next 5 years, it's just easier to get more excited when you have more to go on.

I said it before, but I think I would enjoy DCU movies more if they didn't took itselves so seriously.

I grew out of grim-dark comics on the 90s, I don't need that on movies.

Slayven

I said it before, but I think I would enjoy DCU movies more if they didn't took itselves so seriously.

I grew out of grim-dark comics on the 90s, I don't need that on movies.

You will eat those words when Vibe gets announced

20121207-214850.jpg

Moondrop

Banned
That article is terrible in its fundamental conception. It makes no difference whatsoever to anyone if fanboys root against each others' films. No one's perception of comic book fans will be changed. Utter pap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom