• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Former NYPD Detective Testifies - Common Practice to Plant Drugs on Innocent People

Status
Not open for further replies.
Leunam said:
COMPSTAT is a very real thing. It's partly to blame for the numbers game that's played by major city police forces.
Your justice system is messed up, son.

Then again I'm sure ours is just as bad in as many ways... there's just not any HBO shows to highlight that!

likeGdid

Guys, you don't understand. Tavarez could have been sent back to patrol and the supervisors would have been on his case.

That would have been the worst thing that could happen to a person.

He had no choice but to plant a few measly drugs on people. You can't say you wouldn't have done the same!

Price Dalton said:
I feel the worst for the innocent people who had drugs planted on them.
Exactly. Countless (well over multiple millions over decades and decades) are fucked for a lifetime because drug-related convictions pretty much shut out a ton of employment opportunities (you did just lose your job), places to live, government assistance, and so much that people take for granted, really. If you aren't locked up, your life is in a relative shambles...which may lead to a genuine life of crime and/or guaranteed poverty. The drug enforcement system is corrupt from top to bottom. There's really nothing worth saving when so much is pressured from industry and politics from within.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
I H8 Memes said:
I don't. They know what is going on and they keep their mouth shut about it. That makes them complicit and just as guilty.

Indeed.

As long as the blue wall of silence exists, there are no good cops.

They're all either corrupt or helping the bad cops keep doing their stuff.

Truly disgusting shit.

YoungHav

Banned
DarthWoo said:
So does this portend a mass review of every drug conviction in NYC?
It doesn't because blacks and latinos were the ones locked up. As long as innocent white lives aren't the ones ruined, no one gives a fuck.

Angry Fork

Bitmap Frogs said:
Indeed.

As long as the blue wall of silence exists, there are no good cops.

They're all either corrupt or helping the bad cops keep doing their stuff.

Truly disgusting shit.
+1

Where is pro-police/conservative gaf they're always missing in these threads but love to chime in other crime related ones and act like this shit doesn't happen.

Marleyman

Banned
Jenga said:
it would need to be reported in more places

Do you really think it is a big stretch to think that hitting magic numbers are exclusive to the NYPD? I know what you are saying though.

I H8 Memes said:
I don't. They know what is going on and they keep their mouth shut about it. That makes them complicit and just as guilty.

That I agree with, but it must suck to try to do right and uphold the law when your colleagues are out giving the organization you're working with a bad name.

Jenga

Banned
Marleyman said:
Do you really think it is a big stretch to think that hitting magic numbers are exclusive to the NYPD? I know what you are saying though.
we'd definitely need more expose pieces on more PD's throughout the country

and i keep thinking phoenixdark when i post "PD"

Barrett2

Jenga said:
we'd definitely need more expose pieces on more PD's throughout the country

and i keep thinking phoenixdark when i post "PD"

I once read an amazing statistic that something like 80% of all NYPD Vice cops had to be fired in the 1970s or something, because literally 4 out of 5 were crooked.

John Dunbar said:
i'd love to hear the logic behind having arrest quotas.

Just like any ''business' that has a budget. If you come in under budget from the previous year then your next years budget will be lower. The last crimes that happen the less officers needed the less money that is given to the division from the city to pay for police officers, etc.

Jenga

Banned
lawblob said:
I once read an amazing statistic that something like 80% of all NYPD Vice cops had to be fired in the 1970s or something, because literally 4 out of 5 were crooked.
yeah i remember hearing of that

escape from new york and so on

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Angry Fork said:
+1

Where is pro-police/conservative gaf they're always missing in these threads but love to chime in other crime related ones and act like this shit doesn't happen.

Cop GAF is just hiding and looking away like they do when they see their partners and fellow cops pull off shit like this.

params7

Banned
not surprised. Arrest quotas is absolute shit system. Like speeding ticket quotas. I got ticketed for going 10 over an an EMPTY HIGHWAY when the avg speed in rush hour is 15 OVER. Motherfucking fuck shit.

Jenga said:
even cop gaf won't touch nyc pd

I have a buddy that has been in NYPD for about 9+ years. The shit he has told me blows my fucking mind and just makes me VERY cautious to not piss off a cop. Because at the end of the day, without video evidence it comes down to "my word as a cop against their word as a random scumbag. They will believe me every time".

Color me not surprised... Seattle area cops do this and so much more. I firmly believe that any police officer who is caught violating the infinite amount of authority they have should be imprisoned for a lengthy sentence. I would have few qualms if it was considered a capital offense.

AbsoluteZero said:
That I agree with, but it must suck to try to do right and uphold the law when your colleagues are out giving the organization you're working with a bad name.
Personally, I feel that the 'few bad apples' thing is mostly a bullshit cop-out relied upon to throw off the heat of a whistleblower or investigation which reaches the public eye...just long enough for things to cool off and then end up staying the same with very little real change. Not saying all cops are necessarily dirty, but the system in which they work really is as well as being impossible to change without serious damage to the way drug enforcement is treated by the Federal end of things.

Shanadeus

Banned
ClovingSteam said:
Just like any ''business' that has a budget. If you come in under budget from the previous year then your next years budget will be lower. The last crimes that happen the less officers needed the less money that is given to the division from the city to pay for police officers, etc.
Yeah, they should not treat it as a business then.
Keep a buffer budget of some sort to take into account year-to-year variances, and only reduce the budget over long periods of time - from decade to decade.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Quotas are in place to justify higher expenditures and avoid cuts. It is basically forcing tax payers to pay more than they should. It also serves to fill up private jails and make money.

So much money wasted, and then you are told you need to cut free health care and free education.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
SonnyBoy said:
Innocent people who will have a damn near impossible time hired for a job. In my line of work, I'd never get hired. That would essentially ruin my career and ability to provide for my family.
Not to mention that they will come out with the most vicious contempt towards the legal system *and* a degree in crime by the prestigious Big House.

Leunam

Angry Fork said:
+1

Bitmap Frogs said:
Cop GAF is just hiding and looking away like they do when they see their partners and fellow cops pull off shit like this.

You guys sound so eager to rub it in their faces and it really makes you come off like a couple of pricks.

There's an actual discussion to be had here (COMSTAT, gaming stats) and all you guys want to do is say "I told you so."

Not as crazy as those innocents being framed, I recall my mother receiving a parking ticket a long time ago for allegedly parking in a private lot. That lot was free for use after a certain time and I came to the scene with a camera. Come to find out later the cop was known to patrol the area and give false tickets.

I have a friend who is a cop and he says stories like these shame himself.

Leunam

Warrior_Keoni said:
I have a friend who is a cop and he says stories like these shame himself.

My friends husband went through the police academy here in Houston and after graduation he decided not to join up because he said it was too corrupt. I should ask my wifes uncle about his experiences.

I H8 Memes said:

There's also the DA/Prosecution.

They tend to be complicit in the "protecting the cops" scheme as well.. likely because they are dealing with a large group of uneducated thugs.. who use the fact that the DA/Prosecution depend on the police for evidence gathering to ensure it's rare a cop is actually harshly prosecuted.

It's all rampant here in the Seattle area.. have little to no respect for SPD or the criminal justice system in general around here.

Cops can basically murder people, on camera.. with very little justification.. and get away with it completely. The media pretty much complies as well, making sure to downplay any obvious cop related corruption.. likely because they also depend on the Police for news.

And thus, the inherent problem with big government. Agencies are encouraged to spend every dime of their budget, whether or not they need to, so that they can ask for even more next time -- all on the taxpayer's dime. It's not just the police force that does this, but it's one of the more egregious because they're not only bilking people out of money, they're also putting innocent people in jail and ruining lives otherwise.

System is fucked.

Angry Fork said:
+1

No, I am here. I can't speak for the others. I think it's horrible, sad and dangerous that stuff like this happens and will continue to do so; I hope that the full extent of the justice system goes down hard on these criminals.

I still choose to believe in the righteousness that should come from members of an institution like the police or our armed forces but at the end of the day I am not as delusional as to think that every single individual in a group will hold him/herself to the same standards as everybody should. Those that won't need to be brought to justice even more swiftly than the rest of the population. On the other hand I won't go around saying "fuck the police" because I think that (same as with the church, government, economics, etc) it is not the idea behind it that is corrupt but the rotten members that decide to disregard the responsibility that comes with the job.

HeySeuss

Bitmap Frogs said:
I've worked for several different departments and have never worked for any that had quotas. In fact, when our supervisors push us to get our arrests/tickets up we pretty much box them in and ask if they are wanting a certain number and turn it into quota talk so they back off of it. Departments have been sued and even shut down for implementing quotas.

NYPD was sued for something like 2 million by a former officer because of sexual harassment and quotas and the officer won.

This is not a widely common practice. I have no idea about this particular case involving planting drugs, but NYPD has been proven to implement quotas in the past. It's shameful and I have no clue how it continues still. Possibly because the department is so big or maybe the mayor gets kickbacks, who knows.

But this isn't a common practice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom