• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Former NYPD Detective Testifies - Common Practice to Plant Drugs on Innocent People

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dead Man

As ever, not surprised, but still saddened and angry. Even if it is not rampant, it damages trust in the police, and that can only make their job harder. Quotas should never be part of law enforcement, either.

KHarvey16 said:
He isn't a whistleblower, he's a cop who got caught and cut a deal.

So were Canseco and Donaghy. The skepticism arises because these guys are scumbags who didn't come forward when they were reaping the benefits of their illegal activities. In Canseco's case, he barely scratched the surface with his finger pointing. We still don't know how deep the NBA corruption goes, Stern and the refs have put up a unified front and anyone who criticizes the officials publicly is fined.

KHarvey16

Sho_Nuff82 said:
So were Canseco and Donaghy. The skepticism arises because these guys are scumbags who didn't come forward when they were reaping the benefits of their illegal activities. In Canseco's case, he barely scratched the surface with his finger pointing. We still don't know how deep the NBA corruption goes, Stern and the refs have put up a unified front and anyone who criticizes the officials publicly is fined.

That skepticism was warranted. The fact that they were right in some of their allegations does not render that skepticism ill founded.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Big Baybee said:
There can't be people surprised by this?

I don't think it's surprise as an expression of fresh anger at how police power and the excuse of the endless drug war is used to fuck over innocent persons every day, and there's basically nothing anyone can do to stop it.

Still, America has a kind of code where, you don't ever actually mention, or act, on corruption even though you know it's happening - until it makes the news big time. There's some hope that this will turn up the heat on police corruption, and also help push more people to the breaking point in living in a casually corrupt society instead of looking the other way, because it's not happening to them (at the moment).

Police have quotas, WAT????????

That´s the most ridiculous thing ever. Many innocent people has their lives ruined by this shit because of this shit practice.

Aurora

It's disgusting practice, and any officer caught doing it should get an automatic life sentence.

This is why setting number targets is a retarded idea in the police force.

Monocle

The scum who willfully frame innocent people for drug possession, or who are complicit in the practice, deserve not a single hour of freedom for the rest of their malignant lives. Absolutely disgusting.

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
the people who made these laws are no better than the cop who abused them..

Both criminalising the innocent.

Kentpaul said:
the people who made these laws are no better than the cop who abused them..

Both criminalising the innocent.
Yes, but you've got billions of dollars and hundreds of thousands of jobs at stake if you want to fix the system. No way is that going to fly, especially in the current climate. Then there's the issue of a tidal wave of lawsuits set against all of the agencies involved and things get even more expensive and threaten to destroy all public trust in the system. We've got a huge problem in a self-reinforced system built on false justice going so far back as to make it very, very difficult to see any real change where it matters at the top. It's going to take a practically Civil Rights-like movement to make this happen in any meaningful way. Something will happen sooner than later, even if it's because there will be no funding to continue this tremendous waste of money and human lives.

timetokill said:
From your story, it sounds like they can.
Yeah, tell me about it. I've got some hope that my complaint against the local cop might accomplish something because the organization that polices the police is actually a third party that is made up of regular citizens so as to (ideally) eliminate any bias that would be present when the cops investigate one of their own. For any of you who are interested, this happened to me in Ontario and this organization that fields complaints is the OIPRD (the Office of the Independent Police Review Director). Not only do they assess complaints against the police, but they also have the authority to dole out punishment accordingly, such as demotions, suspensions and even dismissals and criminal charges if warranted. I just filed my complaint a couple of weeks ago (you have to file within 6 months of the actual incident and this happened in mid-April) and it apparently may take several months before I receive a response. So it's just a waiting game for now...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom