• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 2017 Season |OT| Japanese Horror Story - Sundays on Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Addnan

Why, taking time to decide on a punishment afterwards is just a good thing. Look at in football, a player might get a red card for violent conduct and get a 3 game ban automatically, but if FA, Premier League, FIFA, whoever is in charge of that shit decides it was far worse, e.g. the guy bit him or did something crazy then the ban can be a lot longer like Suarez. Hitting a guy with your car in anger is on that level of stupid.

John_B

Jokes on you haters, whether he gets banned or not I'm pretty sure he will win the championship. Quote me for shame or glory. Actually that could be a nice tag.
It's very even between Hamilton and Vettel right now. If not for the headrest they would have finished ahead of each other an equal amount of times. There is no favorite between them.

And there will always be people to blame Hamilton like they blame Glock for Brazil 2008.
Hamilton at Spa 2008 is also a heated debate still.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
I disagree with banning him from a race or deducting points. The decision was made during the race, they could of black flagged him, they didn't. If he gets a points reduction or a one race ban it's actually penalising him in two successive races. They made the mistake of giving him a stop go penalty, what they should of done is either black flagged him or waited till the end of the race and decided on the punishment.

If they retrospectively disqualify him from Baku, and delete the points he gained, what is the difference between doing in now or during the race? The net result is identical.

Lach

I disagree with banning him from a race or deducting points. The decision was made during the race, they could of black flagged him, they didn't. If he gets a points reduction or a one race ban it's actually penalising him in two successive races. They made the mistake of giving him a stop go penalty, what they should of done is either black flagged him or waited till the end of the race and decided on the punishment.

Well they created a weird precedence by giving Kvyat a driver through and then later an additional penalty (for not lining up correctly at the start).

I DO feel like they only gave Vettel 3 penalty points because he already had 6. Honestly I could not blame the FIA if they gave him more and effectively a ban. Though I would be disappointed for the championship fight.

DSN2K

Issue with vettel and it's down to the casuals spectators saying "if that was on the road he would lose his licence and more" etc...it's road rage and the FIA need show it's not acceptable for the sponsors and what not

Just wanted to randomly comment on how much I love F1 for being so ridiculously detailed that it would go through that much telemetry data for this. Not only just the data on that lap, but compared to the other safety cars around the same corner for control data? Talk about thorough. I'm sure they could have put on traces of other drivers through the corner for comparison, too. Seems the car telemetry is 20 data points a second, but the positional data is much more frequent than that.

Road Rage Vettel is weird. He was still pretty chill at the end of his RBR run and in "gives zero fucks" mode the past few seasons. I wonder what's changed. He doesn't need to win any more championships to prove anything to anyone, so why be such a dick now? Is the culture at Ferrari that toxic and competitive? This is largely a conspiracy theory, but I think the reason they've kept Kimi around like this is because they feel obligated to support the team's most recent champion (even if it's been an entire decade).

Randdalf

Just wanted to randomly comment on how much I love F1 for being so ridiculously detailed that it would go through that much telemetry data for this. Not only just the data on that lap, but compared to the other safety cars around the same corner for control data? Talk about thorough. I'm sure they could have put on traces of other drivers through the corner for comparison, too. Seems the car telemetry is 20 data points a second, but the positional data is much more frequent than that.

Road Rage Vettel is weird. He was still pretty chill at the end of his RBR run and in "gives zero fucks" mode the past few seasons. I wonder what's changed. He doesn't need to win any more championships to prove anything to anyone, so why be such a dick now? Is the culture at Ferrari that toxic and competitive? This is largely a conspiracy theory, but I think the reason they've kept Kimi around like this is because they feel obligated to support the team's most recent champion (even if it's been an entire decade).

Well for the last few seasons he hasn't had a championship-capable car. This year he does.

Aiii

So not worth it
Issue with vettel and it's down to the casuals spectators saying "if that was on the road he would lose his licence and more" etc...it's road rage and the FIA need show it's not acceptable for the sponsors and what not

Has nothing to do with "casuals" or sponsors. This kind of behaviour is unacceptable, period. Hitting a competitor, going on the radio and calling a competitor and the race official all kinds of names for minutes on end. Vettel has done both of these things in less than a year.

Do that in another sport and see what happens. They were very lenient after the Mexico incident, I think, and they put him on probation instead of giving him a red card. The more I think about it, the more I feel like he broke that probation. He should get a race ban, because maybe then he'll learn.

dl77

Well for the last few seasons he hasn't had a championship-capable car. This year he does.

To be fair it's not a new thing for him though. He's always been petulant when things don't go his way, even throughout his RB days when he was cleaning up.

Has nothing to do with "casuals" or sponsors. This kind of behaviour is unacceptable, period. Hitting a competitor, going on the radio and calling a competitor and the race official all kinds of names for minutes on end. Vettel has done both of these things in less than a year.

Do that in another sport and see what happens. They were very lenient after the Mexico incident, I think, and they put him on probation instead of giving him a red card. The more I think about it, the more I feel like he broke that probation. He should get a race ban, because maybe then he'll learn.

Yeah that's where I come down to it, speaking as someone who is just now getting into the sport heavily this year. This is the equivalent to any other sport's level of severe unsportsmanlike conduct that would result in a match ban of some to-be-determined-by-the-governing-body's length.

dl77

With respect, a lot of F1 drivers are like this - especially those used to winning.

Oh yeah I agree completely. I think if you were to search for F1 champions who haven't been bastards at some point you'd find a very short list.

Hanmik

lol..

6zH2R4q.png

https://twitter.com/RedHourBen/status/880113885314822144

link goes to

https://www.omaze.com/experiences/d...es.dodgeball&utm_term=Week3Bieber&oa_h=rpjx18

Theorry

What is this "we saw emotion its good for the show" crap from some former drivers?
I mean i am all for emotion. Like Vettel going ham (no pun intented) on Verstappen in Mexico. But for me there is a limit of talking or side sweeping somebody with cars.

DBT85

Oh yeah I agree completely. I think if you were to search for F1 champions who haven't been bastards at some point you'd find a very short list.

Meh, difference between whiny cunt and bastard though.

Senna was a bastard, Schumi was a bastard.

Driving into a competitor on purpose even at low speed moves Vettel firmly from whiny cunt to bastard.

Aiii

So not worth it

Lego Boss

What is this "we saw emotion its good for the show" crap from some former drivers?
I mean i am all for emotion. Like Vettel going ham (no pun intented) on Verstappen in Mexico. But for me there is a limit of talking or side sweeping somebody with cars.

So the question is why did the race director contiually use the SC when the VSC would have been just as effective and arguably safer?

Answer: it's all about the show. It's like WWE with Vettel as the Undertaker and Crashtappen as Mr Perfect. #Blessed can be Ted Dibaze or IRS.

(been a long time since I watched wrestling)>

Aiii

So not worth it
So the question is why did the race director contiually use the SC when the VSC would have been just as effective and arguably safer?

Answer: it's all about the show. It's like WWE with Vettel as the Undertaker and Crashtappen as Mr Perfect. #Blessed can be Ted Dibaze or IRS.

The real answer is that the track is narrow and there were marshals on-track and it's easier to direct traffic to a side of the road around the danger if they're all bunched up and following a pace car that can slow down where necessary.

Aiii

So not worth it
Doesn't put that unnecessary pressure on the teams to have the new car ready for the event? Some of them usually present it on the first or second test. I assume they'd simply opt out of that event?

It's gonna be in Spain on the week of the 1st test. They can bring whatever car they use for the test. They save money because they don't have to do an event themselves and are already in town so logistics are easy.

For teams that can't afford their own press thing, this is probably great news.

Hamilton calling on Charlie Whiting really rubs me the wrong way. Call it out to your race engineer, your team, Toto or whoever but communicate with the team. Let the governing bodies do what they are supposed to do and if they don't, then absolutely call them out. I can't recall what it was Vettel had said in Mexico to/about Charlie but obviously my stance is the same. You show enough respect for the governing bodies to do the right thing. I don't want to see drivers calling on him for decisions, ever, like that what their race team is there for.

Hanmik

Hamilton calling on Charlie Whiting really rubs me the wrong way. Call it out to your race engineer, your team, Toto or whoever but communicate with the team. Let the governing bodies do what they are supposed to do and if they don't, then absolutely call them out. I can't recall what it was Vettel had said in Mexico to/about Charlie but obviously my stance is the same. You show enough respect for the governing bodies to do the right thing. I don't want to see drivers calling on him for decisions, ever, like that what their race team is there for.

did Ham call Charlie or something?

DBT85

Vettel asked Charlie to go away.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ECeVacI5Bc

did Ham call Charlie or something?

I think he said something like "10 seconds for that is a joke Charlie". Don't recall exactly.

Aiii

So not worth it
I don't see the problem. They know Charlie listens to the radios and as long as they're respectful, go for it.

kiyomi

Plenty of drivers call out Charlie in their radio messages if they feel aggrieved. Even if they don't, what they say is often with the intent of making sure he's aware of how they feel.

But nah it's Hamilton so let's take a shit on him.

Plenty of drivers call out Charlie in their radio messages if they feel aggrieved. Even if they don't, what they say is often with the intent of making sure he's aware of how they feel.

But nah it's Hamilton so let's take a shit on him.

I literally pointed out Vettel had done it but was bringing Hamilton up as his was the most recent occurrence of it.

And yeah, plenty of drivers probably do it when they feel aggrieved and I can understand why they would do it but I still believe like it's not 'great' behaviour. It's ultimately ok in the grand scheme of things but like seeing soccer players pointing out stuff to a ref, I feel like there should be a level of respect shown to arguably one of the most intensely observed regulatory practices in sports. Maybe that's the rugby fan in me hah.

Like I said, that behaviour rubs me wrong. Not specifically Hamilton, just that instance of him doing it. Don't mean to ruffle the feathers of HAM fans, my apologies.

Theorry

Not sure how thats related. But awell.

If you'd remembered what Vettel did in Mexico, then you d have thought twice before thinking it was a good idea to compare them.

For reference:
Vettel: Move, move. For f*ck sake. He’s a little f*cker… that’s what he is.
Vettel: I mean am I the only one or are you not seeing what I am seeing? He is just backing me up into Ricciardo? For f*ck sake.
Vettel: Here is a message for Charlie: F*ck off! F*ck off! Honestly. I mean honestly, I am going to hit someone. I think I have a puncture, rear left.
Ferrari: Tyres are fine, tyres are fine
Vettel: Here is a message for Charlie: F*ck off! He has to give me the position. End of the story.
Ferrari: Charlie says no.
Vettel: Well here’s a message for Charlie. F*ck off! Honestly, f*ck off.

Seb was SCREAMING towards the end of the exchange.

kmag

This is nothing to do with Hamilton/Vettel. But since they've got the VSC system. Wouldn't it make more sense for the field to have to do a time of arrival lap when the SC pulls in, instead of putting the release into the control of the lead car?

kiyomi

I literally pointed out Vettel had done it but was bringing Hamilton up as his was the most recent occurrence of it.

And yeah, plenty of drivers probably do it when they feel aggrieved and I can understand why they would do it but I still believe like it's not 'great' behaviour. It's ultimately ok in the grand scheme of things but like seeing soccer players pointing out stuff to a ref, I feel like there should be a level of respect shown to arguably one of the most intensely observed regulatory practices in sports. Maybe that's the rugby fan in me hah.

Like I said, that behaviour rubs me wrong. Not specifically Hamilton, just that instance of him doing it. Don't mean to ruffle the feathers of HAM fans, my apologies.

I know you did. I guess I just feel like they often have a point of trying to communicate with Charlie during the race because after, nobody's really gonna care that much. And in the cockpit it probably feels like the only option they have.

FWIW I'm not a Hamilton fan, lol. I just get frustrated with the level of weird anti-bias he gets from some people. Likewise I apologise if I came across aggressive or whatever, nothing intended.

PatjuhR

Ok, so why is 90% of the Hamilton-Vettel discussion about the blame game?

Does it really matter after Vettel just bumped his car into Hamilton the second time?

dl77

This is nothing to do with Hamilton/Vettel. But since they've got the VSC system. Wouldn't it make more sense for the field to have to do a time of arrival lap when the SC pulls in, instead of putting the release into the control of the lead car?

I like the use of the safety car - though whoever is leading at the time probably wouldn't agree!

It brings an extra element of skill into it where the lead driver has to back up the pack and judge the right time to make a break and the others have try not to get caught napping. Plus it also means that teams can switch strategies which can often bring some excitement to what is becoming a processional race.

DBT85

Ok, so why is 90% of the Hamilton-Vettel discussion about the blame game?

Does it really matter after Vettel just bumped his car into Hamilton the second time?

It seems some would have less of an issue with Vettels antics if Hamilton had indeed done something wrong. So proving that Hamilton did something wrong is important.

Even Hamilton had no issue with the first crash, it happens. What he and everyone else actually cares about is Vettel losing his top.

Lego Boss

The real answer is that the track is narrow and there were marshals on-track and it's easier to direct traffic to a side of the road around the danger if they're all bunched up and following a pace car that can slow down where necessary.

Yeah seemed to work well, so . . . .

No.

Grug

Even Hamilton had no issue with the first crash, it happens. What he and everyone else actually cares about is Vettel losing his top.

I doubt Hamilton even cares about that as much as the fact that a black flag would have been a much better result for his WDC standings. They are in it to win it.

Zaru

If Vettel clinches the championship in the range of whatever points he "should" have lost in Baku (which is pretty much guaranteed IF he wins it), a lot of people are going to bitch at the FIA again for being too lenient.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.

SC creates a big gap on the traffic for marshalls to remove stuff. SC can also guide the train somewhat around obstacles.

VSC is slow, but doesn't create a gap. That's the main issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom