• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula One Season 2021 | OT | Welcome to the Pirhana Club

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its been a terrible start, timing wise. We get one race then wait 3 weeks. Then we got another and waited now two weeks for the next one. Real bad spacing of the races so far.

xrnzaaas

So sprint races are a go. Not sure how I feel about that despite only being three of them and with maximum 3 points to grab each. They could still end up affecting the championship fight.

edit - I meant not sure what I mean with a season already ongoing and knowing who's potentially fast and who's not. It would be better to test sprint races without points and compensate the teams for the trouble and then have them the next season if they end up being a good idea.

Last edited:

Fox Mulder

I just don’t like changing the rules and point structure after the season starts. There’s actually a good title fight already and this will impact that.

Great Hair

Banned
Didn't F1 already try to have Sprint Races and failed? If not mistaken, they tried to add small 15min races during qualifying and the paddock said : nope! Maybe I'm wrong.

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

Russell P7 in the first free practice, dude's working hard to make people forget about the fuckup from last race. ;)

xrnzaaas

It's funny how Mercedes was clearly waiting to celebrate Lewis's 100th pole and Bottas fucked that up. ;)

Nice results from Ocon, Russell and Seb. Horrible from Ricciardo and Alonso also disappointed again.

Last edited:

Great Hair

Banned
Alonso is wasting everyone´s time. The 3rd (test) driver could be racing, get some experience, minutes with the car, but ...

What a joke. He was always quicker than his team co-drivers and tomorrow he won´t finish it. The car is bad, if not mistaken it´s based on a 2 year old Renault chassis.

Last edited:

Fox Mulder

Alfonso is wasting everyone´s time. The 3rd (test) driver could be racing, get some experience, minutes with the car, but ...

What a joke. He was always quicker than his team co-drivers and tomorrow he won´t finish it. The car is bad, if not mistaken it´s based on a 2 year old Renault chassis.

Alpine might have wanted a big name hire instead of a young driver or a Hulkenberg after Ricciardo bailed on them too. Would have been cool to see Alonso in Indycar as Mclaren dove in full time, but he came back to F1 for more midfield work.

xrnzaaas

Alonso is an interesting case. I know he's missed two seasons, but going from absolutely smashing Vandoorne to losing quite a bit of pace to Ocon is not what I was expecting.

Last edited:

Jorav

Bar the top four quali is looking track dependent given the tightness of the midfield. Danny Ric needs to get a hold of that Mclaren or he’ll lose too much points. Too early to call but looks that Ferrari are the third best of the rest.

Man, apart from the first lap, this might be the first Sub-par race this season. So far, apart for a few midfield battles, and Hamilton's passes, there has been a lack of action, everyone's spread out, and the race just looks more boring than the other 2 (the first had action at the front, the 2nd was easily the best of the season) (though I'm interested in the Sainz/Ocon battle, that seems exciting)

xrnzaaas

Rookie error from Kimi from what I've seen. A shame it's been one of few interesting things to happen in this race.

Oh and Aston Martin's race pace is shit.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Well, that was dogshit - apart from Lewis’s overtakes.

Tyres waaaaaay too fucking hard again. Pirelli are going to suffocate this season if they don’t loosen up a bit.

Such a boring race. I will never discredit Lewis's talent but we are now going 3 years straight: mercedes vs red bull.

Im literally more excited for what is happening in the bottom 10 than the top which plays out like clockwork every single race.

I remember back in the 90s when Schumacher was a godlike driver but he always had someone to fuck with him (Hakinen) and keep the scoreboard interesting. I feel like every season we tell ourselves its going to be different. But even those budget caps didnt do shit to the top 3 teams.

Last edited:

Jorav

Yawnfest of a race, next two races are going to be a repeat. Monaco is interesting only due to the circuit limits, you stuff up you crash. Don't know how Perez got DotD. Started 4th, finished 4th lol.

xrnzaaas

Yawnfest of a race, next two races are going to be a repeat. Monaco is interesting only due to the circuit limits, you stuff up you crash. Don't know how Perez got DotD. Started 4th, finished 4th lol.
I think he got it because of driving 53 laps of mediums. He was always great at tyre management so that doesn't surprise me.

xrnzaaas

Disappointing result from Sergio, almost a second behind Max. Nice to see both Alpine cars in the top 10.

Another HAM VER BOT tomorrow? Hope not. ;)

Airbus Jr

Banned
The state of this sport right now is just terible

I can predict another HAM/BOT/VER tomorrow

MotoGP is so much better than F1 these days you can see actual racing there

Jorav

Predictable results for the top 3. Outside that, some close results.

Have lost all interest in Yuki, sounds like a sook every time on the radio and the post quali interview was a cringe fest.

Mohonky

.......and if Bottas wasnt gone at the end of the year, Im pretty sure he just put the nail in that coffin

xrnzaaas

Another HAM VER BOT? This is fine.

Gasly with some incredible pace during the last stint. That one point must feel good.

Mohonky

I want cheating Ferrari back, redbull was a lie.
Its a combination of colder temps and Merc preferred tracks the past 3 weeks. Were it not for Hams off at Imola he likely would have taken Verstappen there too, but I think you'll see a few swings from track to track.

I think Merc have the faster car in race pace, at least on these tracks, particularly on the Medium, it just seems to hang on to its tyres better but the Red Bull (and Verstappen in particular) is lightening over a single lap.

Hamiltons ability to nurse the tyres has been a big differentiator; he's just been able to keep the tyres alive and use them to make the overtake when he needs to.

Its clear though, Hamilton at Merc and Verstappen at Red Bull are in a totally different league to their team mates. Even when Bottas and Hamilton had clean air, Hamilton just stormed off into the distance, slightly younger tyres yes, but he just plain fucked off and left Bottas behind.

Speaking of Botts; he's fucked. When Ham and Rosberg were fighting like cats and dogs and not listening to team orders it was uncomfortable, but Merc were way more dominant and a Merc WCC was a forgone conclusion while it was obvious it was only going to be a Merc driver taking the WDC. Bottas not listening to team orders and playing silly buggers like he did today could cost Mercedes a chance of both.

If Bottas doesnt already have his head on the chopping block, he sure is making a case for Toto to put it there.

Jorav

An okay race but typical Barcelona. Would've thought Ver could've fended off Hamilton a bit better but he had no chance. Those two are in another league compared to their teamates. Pitstop stratgey decided a bulk of the positions. Some thoughts
- Ferrari have recovered well given their horror of a season last year.
- Bottas continues to dissapoint. Please give this seat to Russell.
- I had high hopes for Aston Martin but seems the reg changes hurt them hard.
- Helmut Marko activating that kill switch on Tsunoda after his comments yesterday lol

Quixz

An okay race but typical Barcelona. Would've thought Ver could've fended off Hamilton a bit better but he had no chance. Those two are in another league compared to their teamates. Pitstop stratgey decided a bulk of the positions. Some thoughts
- Ferrari have recovered well given their horror of a season last year.
- Bottas continues to dissapoint. Please give this seat to Russell.
- I had high hopes for Aston Martin but seems the reg changes hurt them hard.
- Helmut Marko activating that kill switch on Tsunoda after his comments yesterday lol

I like Bottas but the man has had his chance and it's time for Russell to push Super Max

xrnzaaas

A shame we're losing Turkey, but two Austrian GP's isn't the worst replacement (or rather replacement of a replacement).

xrnzaaas

This is a little OT, but it's nice to see Kubica's team win yet another Le Mans Series race :) And a pretty exciting race with the weather change which resulted in many cars having difficulties to stay on the track.

xrnzaaas

Nice livery, but it's a shame that a tobacco company logos have taken over it and the Gulf logo looks very small.

Jorav

Nice livery, but it's a shame that a tobacco company logos have taken over it and the Gulf logo looks very small.

I had no idea what vuse was until i googled it. I think lando has crypto trading company on his helmet. Product of our times i suppose.

xrnzaaas

I had no idea what vuse was until i googled it. I think lando has crypto trading company on his helmet. Product of our times i suppose.
Yeah I mean I'm not having a meltdown here, it's still better than promoting actual cigarette brands like in the past. And it's not as cringy as Mission Losenow. ;)

Nice to see see both Ferraris top the times for P2, doesn't really mean anything though. I have long hated Monaco with a passion but seeing that McLaren livery whipping around between those barriers...

giphy.gif

xrnzaaas

Charles with 'interesting tactics' in qualifying. ;) Hamilton, Alonso, Ricciardo and Tsunoda all with disappointing results. Nice to see Antonio and Seb in Q3. If this holds up tomorrow Max will have a chance to gain some points on Lewis.

Last edited:

Fox Mulder

Leclerc still might get a penalty if they have to replace the gearbox. Ferrari said they’ll have to decide before the race.

xrnzaaas

Unless they find some big issues they haven't discovered yet I'd take the risk and start from P1 because of the overtaking problem.

Guys drop the tinfoil hats. Im pretty sure in that last moment Charles didnt even know Max just hit a purple sector seconds earlier. Also its a strange tactic with massive risk since they could end up at the back of the pack instead of pole if the car isnt fixed on time. Worst case scenario would be that LeCLerc would end up 2nd if Max drove perfectly his last lap. So they would rather risk being back of the pack just because of one position lost? Ridiculous.

Im happy for him since he never had luck in his hometown race and its hard to overtake here so him being in the front is a very good chance for him. Also happy for Vettel and Bottas. Particularly since its always Mercedes "as a whole suffer" when Lewis is not doing well. Bottas proved that even with the "bad setup" mercedes he can still be on pole. Unless there are major crashes this is definitely not a track Lewis can just overtake with ease and move up to pole. I want to see some real point fighting with Bottas and Lewis.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom